BL&G Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

BL&G Football League

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Starting fresh looking at the upcoming season, I thought it positive to start the new thread.

With still a couple of Coaching positions up for grabs and the player movements bound to happen, it would be great to get everyones thought on the season ahead.

Perhaps Ladder predictions, Schluter Medalist, rumours of player movements anf any other interesting facts (or fictions :lol: )
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 2009 BL&G Season

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Angaston - May fall back again after a promising year, the loss of the coach and some players my hinder the progress made by the group. Recruiting will be important to replace / top up the talent here.

Barossa - With the talk of a few players moving on, this could signal the end to Barossa'a dominance, however they have recuited rather well in recent years and IF they do fall of the pace it wont be by much.

Freeling - Prouse to lead a group of young local fella's, without the impact of imports they have had over the last 4 years, expect another tough year for the Redlegs, but I have a feeling short term pain will lead to long term gain for group.

Gawler Central - Tough one, depending on the coaching appointment here, have the ability to make the next step and play off in the big one, they need to fill their vacant import spot (along with the one made vacant with Hahn becoming a local) to be a chance.

Kapunda - A list with a few quality players but lacks the depth of premiership campaigns, Sam Ryan isnt getting any younger so a lot rests with taylor and Valentine, may just slip out of the 4 with the improvement of other teams.

Nuriootpa - Hard club to gauge, had a good run late in the year, and change of coach could be a positive (might not also), expect improvement through this lot, but will still miss the four.

South Gawler - Have promised a lot for a couple of years now, and with the inclusion of another handy player to help Bayliss, may just push them towards fourth spot, a recent losing culture may be a problem, not sure if the coach can get the best out of this group.

Tanunda - Easily will still be the bench mark. With centenary celecbrations over there will be a little less pressure. They may drop a couple of games (only 1 or 2) this year, be interesting to see if all players stay there this year.

Willaston - The loss of C McLean is huge here, S Baker will need to do too much (and often tries too), Seelander will need to bring quality players to the club, for a group that showed enormous potential 3 years ago, it seems they missed the boat here.
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Texas Rattlesnake » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:32 pm

Not a bad wrap up LC. Although word is the Baker boys are on their way out of Elliott Goodger Park.

Also, lets keep this thread football related!!!
Texas Rattlesnake
Under 18s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:35 pm

I wont believe the Baker rumour until I see it, went around last year and all it did was drive up there price and get S Baker the captaincy.

However if it does come true, it may be a blessing in disguise for the Donnybrooks.
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby aceman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Re Willaston coach Mark Seelander, my info is he struggles to attract good recruits. Anyone know anything along these lines?
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby Texas Rattlesnake » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:41 pm

aceman wrote:Re Willaston coach Mark Seelander, my info is he struggles to attract good recruits. Anyone know anything along these lines?

well they already need to cover the loss of C.McLean, M.McLean and Coghill before they can start improving on season 2008.
Texas Rattlesnake
Under 18s

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Texas Rattlesnake wrote:
aceman wrote:Re Willaston coach Mark Seelander, my info is he struggles to attract good recruits. Anyone know anything along these lines?

well they already need to cover the loss of C.McLean, M.McLean and Coghill before they can start improving on season 2008.
I asked this in the other thread but not sure if it was answered, did Coghill go with the McLeans or somewhere else?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Further more my ladder prediction for 2009:

Tanunda
Gawler Central
South Gawler*
Barossa
--------------
Kapunda
Nuriootpa
Willaston
Angaston
Freeling

*South are the hard one here, with the inclusion of 1 or 2 more quality players they could move up the ladder, yet they are prone to self implode during the year. Nuri may also improve a little more than I have accounted for here, but they cant afford to lose any players, infact they probably need to add to their list.

Schluter / Mail Medal: M Greenwood, had a slow start to the year this year and still came equal third, if is fit and firing come round one next year expect to see him place his second medal around his neck.
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Pag wrote:
Texas Rattlesnake wrote:

I asked this in the other thread but not sure if it was answered, did Coghill go with the McLeans or somewhere else?

Think Coghill has gone to Gepps X with the McLeans Pag
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 pm

Liquid Confidence wrote:
Pag wrote:
Texas Rattlesnake wrote:

Thanks LC, he'd be getting on a bit now, would he be able to play at A1 level still?
Last edited by Pag on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Postby Texas Rattlesnake » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Liquid Confidence wrote:
Pag wrote:
Texas Rattlesnake wrote:

McLeans are certianly at Gepps, however i heard Cogs had returned to Pooraka...could be wrong
Texas Rattlesnake
Under 18s

Postby Liquid Confidence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:47 pm

I think would definately struggle in Div 1, the pace is a lot faster than the BLG, and he wasnt the quickest boy on the park there in the first place!
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Texas Rattlesnake wrote:
Liquid Confidence wrote:
Pag wrote:
Texas Rattlesnake wrote:well they already need to cover the loss of C.McLean, M.McLean and Coghill before they can start improving on season 2008.

McLeans are certianly at Gepps, however i heard Cogs had returned to Pooraka...could be wrong
I thought this could be a distinct possibiliy as well TR, depending on which one of the applicants gets the Pooraka coching job.
Pag
Coach

Postby aceman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Pag wrote:
Texas Rattlesnake wrote:

He would probably go back to Pooraka but he's not with the McLean boys
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby boozehound » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Gawler Central - Tough one, depending on the coaching appointment here, have the ability to make the next step and play off in the big one, they need to fill their vacant import spot (along with the one made vacant with Hahn becoming a local) to be a chance. (QUOTE)

Who are the front runners? Has carey payne been interviewed?? Not many from the barossa would know much about him which may hurt his chances, but is a great coach. Has plently of players that would follow him anywhere i'd say....
Harsh but fair.....
boozehound
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Texas Rattlesnake » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:50 pm

boozehound wrote:Gawler Central - Tough one, depending on the coaching appointment here, have the ability to make the next step and play off in the big one, they need to fill their vacant import spot (along with the one made vacant with Hahn becoming a local) to be a chance. (QUOTE)

Who are the front runners? Has carey payne been interviewed?? Not many from the barossa would know much about him which may hurt his chances, but is a great coach. Has plently of players that would follow him anywhere i'd say....

which players would follow him ?
Texas Rattlesnake
Under 18s

Postby boozehound » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Plenty would be keen....I would know atleast five quality players that would want to go with him...be wrong to name names.
Harsh but fair.....
boozehound
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Toronto » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Maybe they fall asleep to his mono-tone speaking, does like to take his potential recruits out for tea, which is nice but hes got to learn not to got on so much about his structures and game plans, talks to much to the beat of his own drum for my liking.
Toronto
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby John Doe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:22 pm

South could be the big improvers, word is they have signed the Rodetti boys from gaza, that may be what they need to start moving on some of the old "unreliables"
opinions are like armpits, everyone has them & everyone else's stink!
John Doe
Rookie

Postby Pag » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:28 pm

Radettis linked with Payneham over in the SAAFL forum.
Pag
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy