Spencer Gulf League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Spencer Gulf League

Postby Cella Dwella » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Anyone got any SGL stories to tell. This forum should go forever if we talk about the Central Augusta Wolves and their chequebook team of egos!!
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Re: Spencer Gulf League

Postby Pacman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:44 am

Cella Dwella wrote:Anyone got any SGL stories to tell. This forum should go forever if we talk about the Central Augusta Wolves and their chequebook team of egos!!

Rumour has it that Sean Dawson is on his way back to Adelaide to play for Tea Tree Gully, his home club....A work transfer has played its part in this move as well!!
Pacman
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Some gossip Ive picked up from the Sportsmans Tavern in recent days!

Lions have lost Elijah Ware to Strathalbyn.
Sollies may get Saracino back from Roxby and a couple of others.
Ports have lost MacManara(retired), Burford and maybe Tommy Clarke.
Centrals have lost Hull and Dawson but picked up Shillabeer from South, Skipworth (who left South to get away from Shillabeer) ,Ruffles (Who shafted South by signing, not playing or even watching them after shafting Centrals to go to them in the first place). and Gerard Kenny (Knobhead from West).
South may lose more too but have picked up Finlay from Northern Areas apparently. Its been in the paper that they are trying to unofficially merge with the town of Quorn.
West have lost McDonald and Kenny.
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby threestars » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Just out of interest, how does the Spencer Gulf League compare with other amateur/country footy leagues?
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Dirk Tazelaar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Elijah Ware to Reynella, not Strath is what I hear. But then again, I do believe Strath probably have deeper pockets, but Reynella is closer to home for him.
The revolution is just a t-shirt away
Dirk Tazelaar
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:00 pm

threestars wrote:Just out of interest, how does the Spencer Gulf League compare with other amateur/country footy leagues?

SGL as an association always seems to do poorly in Country Champs (in combination with Whyalla,Roxby and now Northern Areas) due to a number of factors but the top couple of teams each year are always pretty handy.

SGL is stronger than Whyalla but not as strong as Barossa. Tanunda would have beaten Central Augusta by 10 goals I reckon if they played a Premier vs Premier type game.

I like the SGL cos I play in it and the fans adore me but the Northern Areas etc have a better day with all grades playing and plenty of skirt at the netball as well.

Our kids grades play on different days and netball doesnt follow the footy. In comparison to Amateurs Im only guessing but the top couple of teams might be Div 2ish.(?)
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby threestars » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Cella Dwella wrote:
threestars wrote:Just out of interest, how does the Spencer Gulf League compare with other amateur/country footy leagues?

SGL as an association always seems to do poorly in Country Champs (in combination with Whyalla,Roxby and now Northern Areas) due to a number of factors but the top couple of teams each year are always pretty handy.

SGL is stronger than Whyalla but not as strong as Barossa. Tanunda would have beaten Central Augusta by 10 goals I reckon if they played a Premier vs Premier type game.

I like the SGL cos I play in it and the fans adore me but the Northern Areas etc have a better day with all grades playing and plenty of skirt at the netball as well.

Our kids grades play on different days and netball doesnt follow the footy. In comparison to Amateurs Im only guessing but the top couple of teams might be Div 2ish.(?)

Thanks Cella Dwella...
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Battler » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Fair call Cella Dwella I reckon.

South Augusta will struggle to convince me that they can get footy to Quorn. The clubs voted it out when the Wolves played there.Was very controversial and many at the Wolves believe this was their undoing.So...I doubt the league will put themselves in the barrel! I hear from a source at Souths they are panicking a bit as their colts have been unusually weak in recent years and their A grade has big problems in terms of team harmony and depth.They dont have a lot of money to compete with the big boys either.

I heard that BMW (Northern Areas) are looking at getting games there but depends entirely on opposition sides(and the league) agreeing to it.
Battler

Grassroots Team: Keith

Postby the bearded wonder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Good to see an SGL page. I played for Ports in the eighties and would have to say of the 6 country clubs I played for they where without a doubt the best club. Whilst we didnt have much success the club was brilliant. Good to see the good times have returned. Whats Sollies chances of turning it around? Gee they were a tough side in my day. Granger, Faletic, Hellmanns, Johns, Davies, Leske, Rawlins were some of the great players they had in those days. You knew you had played a game of footy when you played those guys.
the bearded wonder

Postby Cella Dwella » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Hot off the press -A stalwart is leaving Ports to chase a buck in a nearby Northern Areas team I hear. Dunno name or which team yet? Anyone else heard this one?
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Checksider » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Hotter off the press!! According to my sources Trent Ormond-Allen is a possible starter for Central Augusta next year. (Im sure that wont please you Cella Dwella!)
Checksider

Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Battler » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Checksider wrote:Hotter off the press!! According to my sources Trent Ormond-Allen is a possible starter for Central Augusta next year. (Im sure that wont please you Cella Dwella!)

U fair dinkum?? Ormond - Allen must be anywhere from 35-40 y old by now hey?
Battler

Grassroots Team: Keith

Postby the trojan war » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Checksider wrote:Hotter off the press!! According to my sources Trent Ormond-Allen is a possible starter for Central Augusta next year. (Im sure that wont please you Cella Dwella!)

I know last year Trent lived with the coach of O.D. and the major sponsor of O.D. was his boss. you would think his circumstances must have changed for this to be happening, if not the O.D. boys wont be happy!
the trojan war
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby the trojan war » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:49 pm

caleb wrote:Good to see an SGL page. I played for Ports in the eighties and would have to say of the 6 country clubs I played for they where without a doubt the best club. Whilst we didnt have much success the club was brilliant. Good to see the good times have returned. Whats Sollies chances of turning it around? Gee they were a tough side in my day. Granger, Faletic, Hellmanns, Johns, Davies, Leske, Rawlins were some of the great players they had in those days. You knew you had played a game of footy when you played those guys.

What about Chris Griffiths, what was he like? I used to work with him a few years ago and he reckons he was the fastest man alive!!
the trojan war
Rookie

Postby the trojan war » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 am

I've heard that South Augusta are losing Ian Brown, Bradley Amos and Trevor Hannes to Coober Pedy
the trojan war
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Trojan Horse- South seem to be in the horrors don't they at the moment. They have some good club people though and will probably bounce back.
Those 3 include 2 who were champions in their day but probably well past their best now and another lad that is good one week, woeful the next.

Checksider - Trent Ormond Allen will do stuff all for the Central Augusta Wolves if he does play. Well past it.
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Old Dog 13 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Battler wrote:

U fair dinkum?? Ormond - Allen must be anywhere from 35-40 y old by now hey?

I think you'll find he's 33 maybe 34 and can still play a bit!!
Old Dog 13
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Cella Dwella » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Lets get a bit of a list of coming and goings hey. Some Ive heard .(Feel free to edit.)
(? = Unconfirmed)

Sollies -Gains - Saracino(?),Myles(?),
- Losses- Niklaus

South - Gains - Lukic(? -from West), Finlay (BMW)
- Losses - Skipworth,Shillabeer,Ruffles(to Centrals),Higginbottom (? -Centrals)Amos,Brown,Hannes (? Coober Pedy),Daniel Collins (? Waikerie),Jake Collins (? Waikerie)

Lions - Gains -
- Losses - Elijah Ware

Centrals - Gains - Ruffles,Higginbottom,Skipworth,Shillabeer(? South),Kenny (West),Ormond-Allen(? Olympic Dam)
- Losses - Dignity!!!, Dawson(? Adelaide)

Port - Gains-
Losses- Big bad Benny Luteria(? Southern Flinders), Tom Clarke (? Adelaide)

West Gains -
Losses- Lukic (? South)
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Cella Dwella wrote:Lets get a bit of a list of coming and goings hey. Some Ive heard .(Feel free to edit.)
(? = Unconfirmed)

Sollies -Gains - Saracino(?),Myles(?),BRETT WHITE (? North Adelaide)
- Losses- Niklaus

South - Gains - Lukic(? -from West), Finlay (BMW)
- Losses - Skipworth,Shillabeer,Ruffles(to Centrals),Higginbottom (? -Centrals)Amos,Brown,Hannes (? Coober Pedy),Daniel Collins (? Waikerie),Jake Collins (? Waikerie)

Lions - Gains -
- Losses - Elijah Ware

Centrals - Gains - Ruffles,Higginbottom,Skipworth,Shillabeer(? South),Kenny (West),Ormond-Allen(? Olympic Dam)
- Losses - Dignity!!!, Dawson(? Adelaide)

Port - Gains-
Losses- Big bad Benny Luteria(? Southern Flinders), Tom Clarke (? Adelaide)

West Gains -
Losses- Lukic (? South)

....Oh yeh and Brett White returning to the Cats!!
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Brad » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Isn't Luteria the captain of Ports?

White will be a big plus for Sollies, wonder who he will bring with him.
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy