Dean Jones makes Ambrose take off sweatbands

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Dean Jones makes Ambrose take off sweatbands

Postby spell_check » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:41 pm

This is some of the highlights of the first final of the 1992/93 World Series. The sweatband incident is included. Also, this is the same match in which Ambrose dismisses Healy with the slower ball I linked in another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laekqekBEIA
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Dean Jones makes Ambrose take off sweatbands

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 am

It fired up the big fella but as Jones pointed out in the aftermath, he used to wear the red sweatbands in Test match cricket as well.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby GWW » Sun May 31, 2015 5:54 pm

This and other subject matters, discussed in interview between Craddock & Ambrose..

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cri ... m=Facebook
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby JK » Sun May 31, 2015 8:04 pm

LOVE this bit about his stoush with Steve Waugh and his rating of him:

It’s a good question. But we can’t just pinpoint one player. You have times when you play great batsmen and you get them out easily, and other times when you struggle. What I will say though is that when you are talking playing Australia, and batsmen with sheer mental toughness, the two batsmen who stood out were Waugh and David Boon. They never surrendered. They never gave up. Others had their moments but those two guys were a little bit different.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby GWW » Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 pm

I though he would have put Border in same category as those 2.
GWW

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 pm

GWW wrote:I though he would have put Border in same category as those 2.

Border was on the decline when Curtly was at his peak. Border's best efforts against the West Indies were against Holding, Garner and Marshall. Arguably Border's finest achievements were his efforts in the 1984 tour of the West Indies. In 'Hitting Accross the Line' Viv Richards included an anecdote 'Man, get your Century and let's get out of here' on a hot day during that series. Not a bad wrap that.

Border wasn't finished by any means when it came to Ambrose but Boon and Waugh were more the front line guys by the time he came around.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
GWW wrote:I though he would have put Border in same category as those 2.

Border was on the decline when Curtly was at his peak. Border's best efforts against the West Indies were against Holding, Garner and Marshall. Arguably Border's finest achievements were his efforts in the 1984 tour of the West Indies. In 'Hitting Accross the Line' Viv Richards included an anecdote 'Man, get your Century and let's get out of here' on a hot day during that series. Not a bad wrap that.

Border wasn't finished by any means when it came to Ambrose but Boon and Waugh were more the front line guys by the time he came around.

regards,

REB

I regard Curtly as the most lethal of any of them, he just wasn't as angry.....................most of the time.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I regard Curtly as the most lethal of any of them, he just wasn't as angry.....................most of the time.

So do I probably, but geez Marshall was quick .. Croft, Roberts, Holding, Garner, Davis, Walsh bloody hell so many to choose from.

As a kid I always thought Garner was the one, but the memories of the sheer devastation Curtley caused are fresher.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:01 pm

JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I regard Curtly as the most lethal of any of them, he just wasn't as angry.....................most of the time.

So do I probably, but geez Marshall was quick .. Croft, Roberts, Holding, Garner, Davis, Walsh bloody hell so many to choose from.

As a kid I always thought Garner was the one, but the memories of the sheer devastation Curtley caused are fresher.

Faaark, look at those names. Was Marshall the one who ran in on an angle?
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby JK » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:21 am

cracka wrote:
JK wrote:

Faaark, look at those names. Was Marshall the one who ran in on an angle?

Yeah he did .. Most of those blokes you'd say are a 1 in 50 year player, yet they had so many in a relatively short span of time.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:23 am

JK wrote:

I was lucky enough to meet the great Andy Roberts on day 1 of the final test in Antigua in 1999. A very humble man who loved talking about cricket. He stepped behind the bar we were positioned at and proceeded to pour our rums for about half an hour. We also had a chat to Richie Richardson and the great Sir Viv during that particular test match. Another highlight was a brief chat to the 'Supercat' at a club on a beach after the nail biting 3rd test in Barbados.

One of the best test series of cricket I have ever seen.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:43 am

JK wrote:

It's hard to believe just how quick Garner was, he just loafed in.

Garner's still the subject in one of my favourite jokes of all time, involving the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

Garner's still the subject in one of my favourite jokes of all time, involving the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

A couple of decent deliveries here from Garner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytNOth31K60
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Ambrose just seemed so lethal all the time. Hardly remember him not being threatening and always seemed a struggle to score when he was bowling. Aside from edges.

However, Jones was 100% right to ask him to take the bands off. We all remember it as backfiring but I reckon Curtly had us covered that night anyway. Maybe he went up a few clicks but at least Deano had the chance to see the ball properly. I actually gained more respect for him that night. Too often we let the Windies push us around and we battled away. One of the first times I remember someone standing up to them.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby GWW » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Ambrose was virtually unplayable at the WACA.
GWW

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:53 am

westozfalcon wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

A couple of decent deliveries here from Garner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytNOth31K60

Did you see the "Ambrose 7/1" option to the right?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Still the king.

'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:59 pm

I was a bit young to appreciate most of the really good WI bowlers, but Ambrose is one of the few that are genuinely intimidating, even through the TV!

Reckon MJ is the only bowler of the modern era that would come close in terms of sheer intimidation, though Ambrose was much more consistent.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby GWW » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Ridiculously talented side from late 70s to early 90s.

Would have been good to have been old enough to see Sobers and Hall, and their other elite players from the 1960s, too.
GWW

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Marshall was quick. Holding was a gun. Ambrose, Walsh and Garner used their height and Croft was just mean. Then there was Ian Bishop. Injuries curtailed his career but crikey he was good too.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket