Teachers do it with class.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Re: Things that make you laugh

Postby RustyCage » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:35 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:teachers ALWAYS blame the students.........

I don't blame the student who did it. I blame another :p
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:46 pm

RustyCage wrote:Yes. Student had a meltdown

Bring back the cane.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Pseudo wrote:

Bring back the cane.

Cane special needs kids?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:01 pm

HH3 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Bring back the cane.

Cane special needs kids?

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:05 am

HH3 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Bring back the cane.

Cane special needs kids?

This will go down like a lead balloon ...

WHy is it that kids just aren't naughty anymore, they have "special needs"

If you don't teach a kid wrong from right, even if they are slow learners, they'll never know.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 am

Footy Chick wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Bring back the cane.

Cane special needs kids?

If you don't teach a kid wrong from right, even if they are slow learners, they'll never know.

My understanding is "special needs" kids are kids with mental disabilities. Bit different from just the standard naughty kid.

Growing up there were kids I knew that had disabilities, and everyone knew that at any moment they could explode into a rage filled tantrum. I never held it against them. They can't help it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:25 am

Footy Chick wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Bring back the cane.

Cane special needs kids?

Interesting debate and one I have had quite regularly with Mrs.Boon ( who works in early learning and child development ) and some of her colleagues.

Whilst I acknowledge and appreciate that some children have differing abilities as far as learning, comprehending and understanding things I grow frustrated at the term "he/she is on the spectrum", which denotes a link to autism.

Now, perhaps modern science and medical advances have pinpointed and more accurately diagnose and endeavour to treat, understand and assist children with such difficulties. This is a good thing. Many kids I grew up with and in fact one of my brother-in-laws, could have benefited from such diagnosis and support.

But surely we can't discount the fact that some kids might just be a bit daft ( as my Mum would say ) or just be a little shit ( as I would say )?

Why does it need to be "spectrum" and "behavioral issues"?

It pisses me off with modern society, "Oh, don't label me!" but then people crave to have a label attached to them or attached a label to someone else. "He's on the spectrum", maybe he's just a bit daft? ( Thanks Mum )

*Edit*

I hope I've not offended anyone here as I understand many of the issues I've mentioned above are very real, very difficult to deal with and are completely out of the control of people who are impacted by them. Kudos to people like Rusty Cage who help develop children with learning difficulties.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am

slightly diversing away from the current topic but the thing that I see from the outside looking in at early learning centres etc from a neighbour who works at one is the fact that they have taken away many of the learning tools that my generation and those before had, which allowed kids to learn about risk analysis.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:slightly diversing away from the current topic but the thing that I see from the outside looking in at early learning centres etc from a neighbour who works at one is the fact that they have taken away many of the learning tools that my generation and those before had, which allowed kids to learn about risk analysis.

Many early learning educators would love to see kids eating dirt, chasing butterflies, catching lizards/worms/bugs, climbing trees, whacking their thumb with a hammer, the type of shit we all did growing up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 am

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:slightly diversing away from the current topic but the thing that I see from the outside looking in at early learning centres etc from a neighbour who works at one is the fact that they have taken away many of the learning tools that my generation and those before had, which allowed kids to learn about risk analysis.

Many early learning educators would love to see kids eating dirt, chasing butterflies, catching lizards/worms/bugs, climbing trees, whacking their thumb with a hammer, the type of shit we all did growing up.

absolutely, but liability means otherwise unfortunately
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 am

Perhaps "Things that make you laugh" isn't the appropriate thread for this discussion. Mind you, it's not the first and won't be the last thread in General Discussion to go off track!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 am

but in a way it is the correct thread, cos when you think about it, it does make me laugh at least, about how the education system is travelling compared back to what I remember of it all....

moving along to the next topic!!!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:58 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:

absolutely, but liability means otherwise unfortunately

just means we as parents have to up our game and make sure our kids do all of those things on our watch, rather than at school. had my two and a half year old helping me with building something the other day, wood saw (manual not electric), drill and electric screwdriver, he loved it!! all under supervision of course.

and we are heading out camping for Easter, no shower or bath, nothing but scrub and paddocks to play in and a camper to sleep in for 5 days, plus no electronic devices!. both kids loved it last year, and being a year older i reckon it will be better again this year. (the little tippers are now five and a half and two and a half)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Bring back the cane.

Cane special needs kids?

Special needs and slow learners are different. The "slow learner" category is full of kids who are behind for behavioural reasons or slight learning disabilities that while they learn slowly, they are still able to learn as much as the next person. Special Needs is a professionally diagnosed disability that significantly limits their learning ability, such as autism, global delay, tonic clonic, alcohol fetal syndrome.

The slow learner category is well over prescribed and in a lot of cases, a mask for real issues that are impacting on that persons learning.
RustyCage

Things that make you laugh

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 pm

As a special ed teacher, I LOVE labeling. Labels get funding and classroom support, speechies, occupational therapists, psychiatrists....
RustyCage

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:08 pm

RustyCage wrote:[

Special needs and slow learners are different. The "slow learner" category is full of kids who are behind for behavioural reasons or slight learning disabilities that while they learn slowly, they are still able to learn as much as the next person. Special Needs is a professionally diagnosed disability that significantly limits their learning ability, such as autism, global delay, tonic clonic, alcohol fetal syndrome.

The slow learner category is well over prescribed and in a lot of cases, a mask for real issues that are impacting on that persons learning.

This ^^^ (in red) i would swear that ADHD was a do-gooders diagnosis of being a little shit. My best mates boy , was diagnosed with this as a kid but you could see the changes in him if she allowed him anything with those colourings etc... she refused to put him on ritalin and with diet changes, he was just as good as the next kid. So in essence, he was just a little turd.

Obviously I'm not up with all "professional" mumbo jumbo = but surely having a label shouldn't excuse bad behaviour.

Surely if you can teach a dog not to pee on the carpet, then you can teach a kid that it's wrong to trash a classroom, or hit other kids etc..

(probably a bad comparison I know but had to get a point across somehow)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Surely if you can teach a dog not to pee on the carpet, then you can teach a kid that it's wrong to trash a classroom, or hit other kids etc..

A meltdown is a bit different as there is no conflictive functioning while it's happening, the person has no control over anything they do during that time
RustyCage

Postby Jase » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

This ^^^ (in red) i would swear that ADHD was a do-gooders diagnosis of being a little shit. My best mates boy , was diagnosed with this as a kid but you could see the changes in him if she allowed him anything with those colourings etc... she refused to put him on ritalin and with diet changes, he was just as good as the next kid. So in essence, he was just a little turd.

Obviously I'm not up with all "professional" mumbo jumbo = but surely having a label shouldn't excuse bad behaviour.

So in essence he wasn't just a little turd, he had reactions to certain food, artificial colours and preservatives...

So once that was resolved he was Ok, so not just a little turd.

Our eldest son used to be a little pain when he ate preservative 282... cut that out and he was much more relaxed and mellow...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

Totally agree on the ADHD thing. Also had a friend who's kid is a little shit at the best of times but would go absolutely stupid if he ate yellow twisties, cheezels etc.

Leon Byner sums it up well as to why governments don't do enough for special needs kids, there's not enough votes in it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion