SANFL Trial W2- Port v Glenelg review

All discussions to do with the SANFL

SANFL Trial W2- Port v Glenelg review

Postby Macca19 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:40 pm

Port Adelaide defeated Glenelg by 26 points at Alberton Oval today.

Both teams took turns in taking control of the match but it was a 5 goal third quarter burst from the Magpies which won them the match.

The first quarter was sloppy with neither side showing much form or taking much of their chances. Jeff Smith opened the scoring with a goal for the Tigers before the Magpies, similar to last week, missed numerous chances at goal. They kicked 4 straight behinds before Roc Harry kicked the first for the pies. Both clubs kicked a second goal for the quarter through Mark Ruwoldt and Corey AhChee before the 1/4 time siren.

port led by 3 points at the first break. Both teams struggled for much system up forward with the ball rebounding out for both teams. AhChee was the best forward in the firs quarter with two strong marks and a goal. Biacsi and Lees also had strong opening terms for the Magpies, whilst Smith, Aaron Rogers and Daniel Kirk were good for the Tigers.

After Craig Taylor kicked the Magpies third goal to open out a small lead, Glenelg pretty much dominated for the rest of the second quarter. They kicked 4 goals in a 10 minute burst which put them 2 goals in front. Their movement across the ground was fast and direct and the forwards were getting into the game. Meanwhile, Port Adelaide was breaking down across half forward where Sherwood was giving Morrison a bath and AhChee was well held in the second quarter. Jeremy Clayton kicked a great goal after the siren from close to the boundary line to cut the break to 6 points at the main break.

Glenelg had many solid players but no real standouts in the first half. Aaron Rogers continued his good first quarter with a good second quarter, kicking a goal and setting up some forward entries. Ben Moore had a big influence in the second quarter, Jeff Smith continued to get some handy touches and Sherwood completely blocked out Shane Morrison.

Port had few good players in the first half. The defence was in the main part solid with Eichner and Lees playing well, whilst Biacsi had plenty of the ball in the midfield. Young McCallum Medallist Lindsey THomas had a good debut quarter at senior level, getting some nice touches and showing a lot of pace.

Lucas Block opened the scoring in the third quarter and it looked like Glenelg may take control of the match, but after gradually getting back into the match, they went on a 10 minute match winning run either side of the heat break where they kicked 5 consecutive goals. Morrison started the run with a nice mark and goal before Roc Harry kicked two goals in a couple of minutes - one a huge 60 metre drop punt that bounced through. The Magpies came out after the heat break with two more quick goals, a second to Morrison and a top team effort which ended up with Craig Taylor kicking his second goal.

Port had many good players in the third quarter. Roc Harry and Morrison with two goals each were excellent. The defence was strong again with Ecihner, Lees and Baird playing well. Bullen started getting into the play whilst Peter Mann played a part in a couple of goals. Glenelg started to break down across half forward and struggled to win a lot of the ball in the midfield.

After 3 behinds to the Magpies, Glenelg started to get back on top, kicking two goals to Duldig and recruit Roury Kirkby before the heat break. Glenelg had a few more forward entries but the Magpies defence held strong and the Magpies got back on top. The match finished with the pies kicking the last two goals of the match through Craig Taylors third goal and Mark Dolling snapping his first.

In the end Port finished victorious by 26 points. Both teams probably wouldnt be too impressed with the errors and the fact they both broke down a lot at half forward. Still, it was a good hitout and Glenelg showed some good signs considering they had quite a few good players in the stands or sitting out some of the second half.

Port 2.4 / 4.7 / 9.10 / 11.16 (82)
Glenelg 2.1 / 6.1 / 7.2 / 9.2 (56)

PORT:
Best - Harry, Eichner, Lees, Ilett, Taylor, AhChee, Biacsi
Goals - Taylor, Harry 3, Morrison 2, J Clayton, AhChee, Dolling

Glenelg:
Best: Sherwood, Moore, Yeomans, Duldig, Smith
Goals: Duldig 2, Kirk, Block, Smith, Rogers, Moore, Kirkby, Ruwoldt

PORT PLAYER REVIEWS:
M Clayton - Solid match on a back flank. Had a fair few disposals and a few good shepherds

J Clayton - Played mainly up forward but did spend time on ball this week. Had a solid match..nothing outstanding. Kicked a great goal from the boundary

Wait - Played the second half. Took a strong mark and did ok across half forward

Carr - Played the first half, had a couple of kicks but not really much gametime in the second half

Ilett - Playing across half forward for a lot of the match, had a very good game. Took some good marks and always looked dangerous. Kicked about 3 behinds though

Harry - Very dangerous up forward. Kicked 3 goals including a 60 metre bomb. Looked busy all match.

Lees - Great match in defence. Played on Kirkby a lot of the match who didnt have much of an impact. Took some good saving marks and also rebounded strongly

Bullen - Quiet. Did some nice things in the second half

De Pasquale - Took a huge bump early in the first quarter which sent him off the ground. Came back on and was strong as always in defence

Morrison - Dont think he had a kick in the first half but kicked 2 in the third quarter when Sherwood went off the ground

Gates - Little time on the ground

Eichner - Played well on a couple of opponents, mainly Duldig. Duldig got away a couple of times but he rebounded a lot and used his pace to advantage

Taylor - Good game. Kicked three oppurtunist goals and looked good in the middle

Meiklejohn - Spent most of the match in ruck. Probably broke even

Baird - Quiet first half but a great second half

Biacsi - One of the best early on but didnt get much in the second half

Looby - Spent a lot of time on the bench in the first half but came on and had an impact in the second half. Likes to run with the ball.

Mann - Not much gametime but had an impact in the third quarter

Jenner - Good early but poor disposal

AhChee - Played out of FF. Took a number of strong marks in the first quarter, kicked a goal. Got into the match again in the third quarter. Good game

Slattery - Didnt get many kicks

Lokan - Poor. Didnt get a lot of it and didnt use it too well

Dolling - Short time on the ground but snapped a late one

Howard - Relieved in the ruck for short periods

Thomas - Looks great. Still very young, has a fair bit of pace, used the ball superbly and is quite tough for his size. Looks to ahve a big future
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby tigercub » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks great post nice summary for those of us interstate. Hear it is bloody HOT in Adelaide today!!!
GO THE BAYS!!!
tigercub
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Macca19 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:25 pm

Yes. About 35-37 degrees today
Macca19
League - Best 21

the coaches

Postby Rushby Hinds » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:31 pm

The MOST interesting thing for me was i spent 1/4 time listening to Chin Giniver coach and 3/4 time listening to Mickan coach. Could not be too more contrasting coaches in the league.

Chin's second word was the magic F one, JB & I started counting them, he said the "F" word THIRTY FIVE TIMES in about three minutes, at quarter time of a trial match! Struth, has he run out of party tricks already, he was basically bagging his team. (Did Jack Cahill coach like this? If so i'm wrong in my opinions)

Rubbers was completely the opposite. Straight after we were smashed in the third quarter, he spoke VERY calmly to the boys, explained where he thought we could do better, and what we should try and do in the last quarter. No histrionics, no swearing, just 30 players listening to every word...

He said that we could go defensive, but todays a time to keep playing to the game plan and to keep on attacking, to see what happens and what works.

YES Port won and YES the Bays lost, no arguements there, Macca, did u hear Tim coaching?
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Re: the coaches

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:37 pm

Borat wrote:Chin's second word was the magic F one, JB & I started counting them, he said the "F" word THIRTY FIVE TIMES in about three minutes, at quarter time of a trial match! Struth, has he run out of party tricks already, he was basically bagging his team. (Did Jack Cahill coach like this? If so i'm wrong in my opinions)

I don't know about John Cahill but Fos Williams certainly did. I remember listening to a tape of a 3/4 time talk from Williams and every second word was bleeped over. I would have thought in the year 2006 Coaches were above that sort of thing ... obviously I'm wrong.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Re: SANFL Trial W2- Port v Glenelg review

Postby Ecky » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:06 pm

Macca19 wrote:Glenelg:

Nice writeup, Macca, although I question Yeomans being in the best players as his stats read 4 kicks, 3 marks, 0 handballs, 1 free against, 1 tackle. He didn't get a stat in the first half and I'm not sure if he was on the ground before half time.

I don't get to see that much of the game as I'm busy recording the stats, but I would have thought that Block (26 possessions and 6 tackles) and Sundqvist (22 possessions) should have rated a mention.
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Rushby Hinds » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:17 pm

My guess is maybe for Yoey read Longman.

They look a tad similar, Longman's name wasn't in the budget.
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Postby Ecky » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Borat wrote:My guess is maybe for Yoey read Longman.

They look a tad similar, Longman's name wasn't in the budget.

Yeah, put Yoey and Longman's stats together and your would find a reasonable player...
It wasn't the highest quality "budget" - I'm not sure how "Daniel Revill" got on the list. D REAvill hasn't been seen at the club since last season!
Ecky

Postby Ecky » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:53 pm

Glenelg Player Stats

Most players had long stints on the bench, so I don't think you can read too much into these stats...

Player-Kicks-Handballs-Marks

Block 17-9-5 (plus 6 tackles)
Sundqvist 12-10-7
Logan 9-8-4 (4 tackles)
Moore 11-5-7
Burdett 12-2-4
Rogers 8-5-7
Ruwoldt 11-1-3
Mules 6-6-5
Smith 4-5-3
Kirk 5-4-1 (plus 10 hitouts)
Longman 4-5-2
Miller 4-4-2
M Reavill 4-2-3
Wade 4-1-3
Duldig 3-2-3
Percy 5-0-3
Yeomans 4-0-3
Kirkby 4-0-3
Sugars 3-0-2
Sherwood 2-1-1
McConnell 1-2-1 (only played 1st Quarter)

Reserves Players who came on briefly in second half
Redden 4-3-1
Green 2-1-0
A Button 1-1-1
Sutherland 0-0-0
Ecky

Postby portentous » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:48 pm

I've heard Jack make a lot of 1/4 and 3/4 time speeches and not often heard him go overboard, although his talks are often "hushed" and hard to hear. I know that years ago he used to peel the paint off the change room walls sometimes at half time. Not sure how much was the "f" word and how much was just plain shouting.

Tim is a totally different character though. I reckon he'll make a good coach. How good, only time will tell.....
portentous

Postby John_Fidge » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:15 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
Borat wrote:Chin's second word was the magic F one, JB & I started counting them, he said the "F" word THIRTY FIVE TIMES in about three minutes, at quarter time of a trial match! Struth, has he run out of party tricks already, he was basically bagging his team. (Did Jack Cahill coach like this? If so i'm wrong in my opinions)

I don't know about John Cahill but Fos Williams certainly did. I remember listening to a tape of a 3/4 time talk from Williams and every second word was bleeped over. I would have thought in the year 2006 Coaches were above that sort of thing ... obviously I'm wrong.

You're not one of those politically correct ones are you? Who cares how the message is delivered. If a guy can coach he can use whatever method to speak to the players.
John_Fidge
Mini-League

Postby Coorong » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:52 am

Pretty poor show IMO. A good communicator can get his message through using "tone' and eye contact.

I am definately no prude, but lots of kids listen to the huddle!

You dont have to swear to be aggressive or dictate your expectations.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:02 am

Fair dinkum boys, I'm the first to climb into the Pies when the opportunity arises but you blokes are bagging Chinever for swearing at his players? FFS! As for kiddies near the huddles, you'll find they hear that word plenty around the schoolyard. How friggin sheltered were you blokes growing up?? Tempest in a teacup and a real non-issue.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:04 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Fair dinkum boys, I'm the first to climb into the Pies when the opportunity arises but you blokes are bagging Chinever for swearing at his players? FFS! As for kiddies near the huddles, you'll find they hear that word plenty around the schoolyard. How friggin sheltered were you blokes growing up?? Tempest in a teacup and a real non-issue.

regards,

REB

Agreed, have these people played footy?
Its not as though a coach dropping the F word is a rare thing!
For a couple of years of when I played I almost forgot my real first name as the coach always referred to my first name as "F***ing" :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Macca19 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Borat wrote:The MOST interesting thing for me was i spent 1/4 time listening to Chin Giniver coach and 3/4 time listening to Mickan coach. Could not be too more contrasting coaches in the league.

Chin's second word was the magic F one, JB & I started counting them, he said the "F" word THIRTY FIVE TIMES in about three minutes, at quarter time of a trial match! Struth, has he run out of party tricks already, he was basically bagging his team. (Did Jack Cahill coach like this? If so i'm wrong in my opinions)

Rubbers was completely the opposite. Straight after we were smashed in the third quarter, he spoke VERY calmly to the boys, explained where he thought we could do better, and what we should try and do in the last quarter. No histrionics, no swearing, just 30 players listening to every word...

He said that we could go defensive, but todays a time to keep playing to the game plan and to keep on attacking, to see what happens and what works.

YES Port won and YES the Bays lost, no arguements there, Macca, did u hear Tim coaching?

First off yeah Jack did pretty much coach like that. Well...last year he did anyway. Was always swearing last year.

I listened to Tim at 3/4 time and I dont reckon he dropped the F-bomb once. He went through a lot of the young guys one by one and congratulated them in front of the whole group. I came away very impressed. Mind you we did just come off a match winning quarter, but yeah I thought he sounded good, motivated the guys well, especially the younger ones and ran through a few extra points.

I have no doubt he probably would have gone off at 1/4 time...we played like crap and should have been 5 goals up.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Re: SANFL Trial W2- Port v Glenelg review

Postby Macca19 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:40 pm

Ecky wrote:
Macca19 wrote:Glenelg:

Nice writeup, Macca, although I question Yeomans being in the best players as his stats read 4 kicks, 3 marks, 0 handballs, 1 free against, 1 tackle. He didn't get a stat in the first half and I'm not sure if he was on the ground before half time.

I don't get to see that much of the game as I'm busy recording the stats, but I would have thought that Block (26 possessions and 6 tackles) and Sundqvist (22 possessions) should have rated a mention.

If Longman was the blonde nugget #40 then yeah I probably did get them mixed up. I had a bit of trouble picking out the Glenelg players as 3/4 of the names on the White sheet teamlist were wrong. A few players didnt play, a few players werent named at all (even on the ressies side) and heaps of the player numbers were wrong. I didnt pick up a yellow sheet until after halftime so I had been attributing good work to wrong players and it was all a mess.

As a Port supporter my reviews do have a port slant and I spend a fair bit of time looking at what the Port players are doing off the ball. Its the main reason I dont usually put down specific opposition player reviews as I dont spend enough time specifically looking at what they are doing.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby Rushby Hinds » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:52 pm

John_Fidge wrote: You're not one of those politically correct ones are you? Who cares how the message is delivered. If a guy can coach he can use whatever method to speak to the players.

Nope, far from it. You are missing my point. My point is that if he had something to say then he couldn't find the words to say it. Either that or he couldn't think of what to say so he pannicked! Trust me, i didn't go there to look for an issue, just
curious to see what he had to say.

For possibly the first time ever, Coorong and I agree on this.

Macca
I listened to Tim at 3/4 time and I dont reckon he dropped the F-bomb once. He went through a lot of the young guys one by one and congratulated them in front of the whole group. I came away very impressed. Mind you we did just come off a match winning quarter, but yeah I thought he sounded good, motivated the guys well, especially the younger ones and ran through a few extra points.

All credit to him. Maybe someone had a quiet whisper or had time to compose himself/relax a bit? IMHO this is 100% opposite the the first quarter "aberration".

There is a time and a place for everything, but @ 11.45 am in a trial game in early March..........
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Postby Rushby Hinds » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:54 pm

PS Macca, the Glenelg team sheet and the Port team sheet that were both available at the ground were vastly different in regards to players named and there jumpers!
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Postby Macca19 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:13 pm

Borat wrote:PS Macca, the Glenelg team sheet and the Port team sheet that were both available at the ground were vastly different in regards to players named and there jumpers!

You're not wrong. I picked up a Port white one as I walked through the gate and didnt see the Yellow ones until half time when I went and got a drink. God knows where the Port one got their Glenelg info from.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Postby RoosterMarty » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:25 pm

you would think the two teams would get together and exchange player names and numbers
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL