glenelg v central @ glenelg 4/5/08

All discussions to do with the SANFL

glenelg v central @ glenelg 4/5/08

Postby bayman » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:46 pm

can the glenelg juggernaut keep going or will central bring us back to earth ? for the first time this decade i'm confident of a victory, my tip the tigers by 18 points
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Re: glenelg v central @ glenelg 4/5/08

Postby CENTURION » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:58 am

We'll just bring out the banner at 3/4 again! "THE BAND SUPPORTS THE 'DOGS"!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 am

As mentioned before, I reckon this will be a real close game, should be an enthralling battle between two teams slowly finding a bit of form.

I feel sorry for the Bays defender who gets lined up against Ian Callinan on the weekend. After being completely shut out of the game by an underrated Trent Spron on Anzac Day, Nutta will no doubt want to atone for his poor showing from the week before.

Amazing to read that this was the first game since crossing from Tassie that he was held goalless. I think he will be switched on for a blinder and would not be suprised if he comes out and kicks 5 or 6 in a match winning performance. It could end up being a shoot out between the two small forwards in Callinan and McConnell ???

I reckon that Andrew Hayes is probably the best match up for the Glenelg star but obviously the key to Justin not having goal licking opportunities is to deprive him the ball as much as possible. So in saying this, after a couple of impressing tagging roles in the past on Jeremy Clayton and James Gallagher, maybe Power listed Ryan Williams will get the job on McConnell ??? Who do Bays supporters think will be the best match up for them on Ian Callinan ? Maybe someone like John Hinge or Ty Allen ?

Regardless, should be a great game of footy, especially if the weather stays fine as forecasted and of course I'm tipping my side, the Doggies, but only just, let's say 15 points. See you Sunday football fans...

GO U DOGGIES...

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby doggies4eva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:06 pm

I think that the mid-field is the key to these games.

When Norf won last year their mid-field played very well and when the Bays thrashed us 2 years ago same thing - although I thought that their attack was dominant which is unusual because it is a rare day that our defence doesn't perform well.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 pm

us being the REAL DEAL - well i hope any team in the top 3 is the REAL DEAL.

im guessing most people would have rated us in the top 3 this season.

time will tell but if we dont go deeper into september this year then we never will
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11985 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby Stevie_K » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm tipping a hard earned 19 point win to the good guys at home.
Bays since Birth - Go you mighty Tigers!
Stevie_K
Under 18s

Postby Royal City » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:17 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:us being the REAL DEAL - well i hope any team in the top 3 is the REAL DEAL.

time will tell but if we dont go deeper into september this year then we never will

I dont have the bays in my top 3.
Royal City
Under 18s

Postby panthers 2008 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Should be a very good game.I did not give the bays any hope of knocking off sturt,but now I suppose I should sit and take notice that the bays may actually be a contender?
This weekend will give us all a clearer picture of the pecking order in the SANFL.
I watched some of the Dogs V North on the box,and to be honest was not overly impressed with Centrals effort,though they did win it was not convincing.The dogs seem to start their seasons slower then gain momentum during the year,so if the bays want to knock them off now is probably the time!
If the weather is good expect a good crowd down at the bay,in what should be a tightly fought contest. Dogs by 18 pts!! :)
panthers 2008
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Will be very tight in my opinion the Dogs are definatly not playing their best. I also tend to think Central don't play the bay oval very well. The stats might say we have a good win-loss record down there but apart from winning down there last year i cant really remember the dogs playing well there, generally just getting over the line by 18-30 points in a real scrappy affairs.
Glenelg are obviously playing half decent football to beat Sturt at Unley so unfortantly i hate to say it Glenelg by 22 pts but will be a different story come finals.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5625 times
Been liked: 2544 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby doggies4eva » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:us being the REAL DEAL - well i hope any team in the top 3 is the REAL DEAL.

Than you are the real deal - I have the top 3 as Doggies (cause I'm biased) and $turt and Gernelg cause they have beaten us well over the past 2 years and are on the rise.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 pm

I saw signs on Friday of Centrals just not getting their game going - the last hand pass was just not right, players slightly out of position, delaying the kick a fraction new players coming back in.

In racing parlance a good horse short of a run back from a spell. I think they will be better for a the run and fired up to put a would be contender for their crown in its place.

Having said that now is a good time to play them as they are not at their best. We will have to bring our A grade game to beat them and we are capable of doing it I believe.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1838 times

Postby smac » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:31 am

Bays by 3-4 goals, dogs are still in preseason mode at the minute knowing that it is good enough to win a few games until we crank* it up. Would be nice to knock a challenger on the head but it just isn't in us at this stage of the season.

Much like North I reckon, they will come good later in the season as well.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Hey there fellow football fans,

As mentioned before, I reckon this weeks clash against the Bays will be a real close game. On paper, it should be an enthralling battle between two teams slowly finding a bit of form.

I feel sorry for the Bays defender who gets lined up against Ian Callinan on the weekend. After being completely shut out of the game by an underrated Trent Spron on Anzac Day, Nutta will no doubt want to atone for his poor showing from the week before.

Amazing to read that this was the first game since crossing from Tassie that he was held goalless. I think he will be switched on for a blinder and would not be suprised if he comes out and kicks 5 or 6 in a match winning performance. It could end up being a shoot out between the two small forwards in Callinan and McConnell ???

I reckon that Andrew Hayes is probably the best match up for the Glenelg star but obviously the key to Justin not having goal licking opportunities is to deprive him the ball as much as possible. So in saying this, after a couple of impressing tagging roles in the past on Jeremy Clayton and James Gallagher, maybe Power listed Ryan Williams will get the job on McConnell ???

In terms of possible changes to the line up, who do we think could be the INS and OUTS ???

If Luke Cowan is fine with his knee problem I would suggest he should come in to the senior team. With the forecast for fine weather, we would want to try and expose Glenelg in the air in our attacking forward line. This would then free up Havelberg to play down back as I think we will probably need him down there this week. With Glenelg having a few tall forwards I think Hav would be a good match up for Nathan's brother, Todd Grima. Sibba usually does alright on Matty Duldig and Schelly is the right match up James Sellar in my opinion. This still leaves Roury Kirkby who I think Haysey might get the job on as he is versatile enough to play either the small or tall defender's role. In saying this then, as mentioned later above, I reckon Ryan Williams might be a good match up for McConnell but we'll just have to wait and see.

I think Luke Mccabe is a real chance after a BOG effort in the magoos but at who's expense does he come into the team for ? Some people are saying Scotty Dutschke and in a way you would be swapping one gutsy player for another but I reckon it might be Cam Faulkner would make way for the ex Hawk veteran if Lukey does get a league game. You would think, if over his hammie, Noodles would have to start from scratch in the early game again, but I am hopeful it's not too long before we see the number 50 back out in the league team ??

Any news on Steiny and whether he'll be back this week in the reserves or not ? Also, do we know what is wrong with Tassie recruit Kieran McShane, is he injured as well ? Hopefully Jeremy Aufderheide comes back through the two this week as well, it will be good to see him out there running around once again.

Regardless, should be two great games of footy, especially if the weather stays fine as forecasted and of course I'm tipping our sides, the Doggies say by under 4 goal in both games. See you all on Sunday football fans, must try and find some of you out there and say hello face to face, finally. Centurion, Smac, Dogwatcher etc, I'll be the big fella with a goatie, my Centrals jacket like the boys warm up one and my blue hat sitting around the outer side opposite the grandstand...

GO U DOGGIES...

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby stampy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Royal City wrote:

why not? i am interested in your views, a lot of so called experts believe we will be top 3, especially after saturdays effort
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 338 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Royal City » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm

stampy wrote:
Royal City wrote:

why not? i am interested in your views, a lot of so called experts believe we will be top 3, especially after saturdays effort

Crantson as head ruckman Duldig still a key forward and Ty Allen in the midfield. I wouldnt be expecting much IMHO.

didnt you lose to south.

would love to see a north vs bays final though. That would be a fantastic game of SANFL Football. Well worth the price of admission.
Royal City
Under 18s

Postby stampy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:34 pm

cranston and allen have been outstanding while duldig has had his moments as well, yes we did lose to south and your mob lost to sturt, the sum of that being nothing really
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 338 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Royal City » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm

stampy wrote:cranston and allen have been outstanding while duldig has had his moments as well, yes we did lose to south and your mob lost to sturt, the sum of that being nothing really

Duldig has his moments every year (especially at the start of them).

Cranston and Allen have been outstanding ??? are you talking about this year or always.

No offence but I couldn't see the above name players making centrals best 21.
Royal City
Under 18s

Postby Big Phil » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:46 am

Hey All,

In light of the recent news regarding skipper Paul Thomas' disgustinglly decided one game ban...

I think the Dogs will miss his strength around the footy and his run and carry and now, although I'm well aware one player doesn't make a team and everyone is replaceable, I think this tight contest might just be slightly tipped in favour of the Bays (if they didn't already start as favourites anyway)

I was quietly confident of a tough 2 - 3 goal win before this bad news, now I'm not so sure. Of course I'm not jumping ship or desserting my team, I just think Thommo will be sadly missed in terms of the context of the midfield battle. In saying this then, surely Luke McCabe would have to come into the line up for Paul, his experience and toughness, despite being a little under done after battling hammie problems, would have to be the obvious replacement...

Trust me, I'd be more than happy for some of the younger midfield guys to step up for the loss of their skipper and prove my worries otherwise, and naturally would be stoked if we can still manage to get away with a win. Will now make a tough hard battle even more tougher...

GO U DOGGIES...

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby doggies4eva » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Big Phil - one minute you are saying that it will be a tough call for those players that miss out on a league berth, the next that the loss of one player puts a win in doubt :shock:

Great player that Thomas is I am sure that he will be the first to say that the dogs win games because they are a team and don't rely on one or two players. Still think that it will be a good competitive game.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Slipper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Looks like its gonna be a close game... I wonder who Centrals will go with to replace Thommo...
I'd like to see James Moss get his 1st gig in the ones. He's got terrific hands and a good leap.
Slipper

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL