5RPH Commentary

All discussions to do with the SANFL

5RPH Commentary

by Sinbad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:56 pm

I was listening to the bays/dogs game on the weekend and I felt the commentary was substandard. Especially from one turkey who was carrying on like a little kid when something exciting happened. I will admit I don't listen to the sanfl on the radio as I am often at games, but due to a family function I was listening on Saturday at times and was far from impressed.
Sinbad
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

by Adelaide Hawk » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm aware of the guy you're talking about and I have to admit it's over the top. My comments aren't about 5RPH, but all footy commentary. This compulsion they have to start screaming their tits off when something happens is extremely annoying, especially on radio where you are relying on them to paint a picture of the action for you. All you hear is a cacophony of screams, wows, oohs and ahhs ... you know that something has happened, but what? Was it a goal? Who kicked it? ... WTF happened???? I really wish some radio commentators would remember that we listeners cannot see what is going on and lack the necessary ESP to hazard a guess. ABC commentary is terrific, you know where the ball is at all times and which team is in possession. 5AA ... woah!!!! I think generally 5RPH do a pretty good job, they just get over-excited sometimes :)
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

by RM » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:55 pm

Very good in my opinion but need more effects microphones for crowd atmosphere.
RM
Under 16s

Location: Near Grand North, The Northern Tavern and Prospect Oval. All belong to the Mighty NAFC.
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lincoln South

by topsywaldron » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:42 pm

I bless RPH from the bottom of my heart for their coverage of the SANFL.

That being said, could someone buy Blandis an hour in a flotation tank to calm him down before games? If I hear the phrase Wild Man of Borneo one more time...

And let's hope Balndis doesn't smack me down like Smith did Wedgie last time RPH's commentary was discussed.

:)
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

by Wedgie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 am

lol@topsy.

I agree too, when I was listening to the Bays v Norwood game I almost wanted to throw my radio through the wall because of the way Blandis carried on at times.
I think Phil, DB and Smithy (when he gets players right and notices things like 1000s of fans on a hill thanks to Phil) do a great job and I enjoy their commentary, John Nankervill is a very knowledgable comments man too who I enjoy listening to. Paul is very good at hosting shows during the week and I wish he's stick to that. I think the Thursday night show is spot on this year in the format they have and that includes Paul.

I also agree that we should "bless RPH" as collectively they do a fine job and are invaluable in their promotion of the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

by Cooper » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:54 am

I hope for Blandis' sake he isn't reading all this. I agree with Wedgie and the others. Blandis is annoying. I think he is trying to be something he isn't. He should get the basics right first and allow his personality to come through over time. Smithy, Phil, DB are you having a quiet word in his ear???

I don't mind Doug Oakley from Life FM...good solid caller. David Wildy from AA would be their one and only shining star IMHO. For AFL games I tend to tune into ABC radio. I find they commentate not barrack and you get an even coverage of both teams playing unlike AA.
Cooper

by ca » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:03 am

I agree I think David WIldy is as good as there is going around. Hopefully John Nankaville can get a few more opportunities this year.
ca
Reserves

Been liked: 2 times

by MightyEagles » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:47 pm

RPH are usually pretty good. When watching AFL on the box (either Adelaide or Port), I turn the TV down and listen to AA (even though they can be over the top at times).
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

by Blue Boy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Dont be to harsh cause if it wasnt for them we wouldnt hear much on the Radio at all about SANFL. Well done rph
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

5AA

by redden whites » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:23 pm

I feel ashamed to be South Australian at the meare mention of the 5AA radio commentary.For me its simply embarrassing and a quick score check is all it's good for.Sadly ABC 891 is slowly starting to evolve the same way season by season I feel with the barracking style creeping in. How 5AA gets enough listeners to justify sending "the most passionate call"(note ..not the most accurate) interstate instead of taking a syndicated call amazes me to this day.After the embarrassment of the "Collingwood bribing umpires" drama a few years ago Stephen Rowe still shows his face in public and this mob promote him as a darling....ONLY IN ADELAIDE sadly.
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

by Sinbad » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Yes, Stephen Rowe is a grade A tosser.
Sinbad
Mini-League

by sturt1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:11 am

How would it be if footy was taken off the radio and tv, would our opinions still be as strong :wink:
But it was more than a victory for Greece. It was a stirring example to free people throughout the world of what a few brave men can accomplish once they refuse to submit to tyranny.
sturt1
Under 18s

by Adelaide Hawk » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:19 am

sturt1 wrote:How would it be if footy was taken off the radio and tv, would our opinions still be as strong :wink:

If it were taken off 5AA, I'd be dancing in the streets. :)

I only listen to 5RPH and ABC for my footy, the near-sighted stupidity of 5AA annoys me immensely. KG & Cornes take every opportunity to accuse the "Victorians" of every attrocity known to mankind, but then criticize them for not respecting South Australia. Work that one out. There is a real moron element perpetuated by 5AA that should be a concern, but sadly they are merely catering to demand. Some of the people who call that station have so much anger, inflamed of course by 5AA's archaic attitudes.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

by Cooper » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:55 am

BINGO Adelaide Hawk!!! It ticks me off how they accuse the Vic's of taking no interest and being biased then the only AFL outside of this state they cover relates to the teams are playing the Crows or Power. That's what I enjoyed about SEN. We got the chance to hear about the other clubs. They do have Walls on (he can be a bit high and mighty sometimes but overall he is good) and they have Rex on and he is funny at times (He gives great updates on the Richmond footy club 20 years ago).

They say they are directed by the callers...well that is a load of crap! If you do ring up about SANFL or certain non-SA games they can't dialogue because they have no idea what is going on. If it isn't in the Tiser they don't know about it (Unless of course it has to do with Glenelg).

I guess we just pause again and say "Thank you RPH!"
Cooper

by The Whisper » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:00 pm

RPH do a fantastic job on sanfl, and should be roundly praised for what they do for the game, but it would be great to hear one caller concentrate on calling the game rather than trying to be funny all the time. it takes away from a great package.
The Whisper
Rookie

by StrayDog » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:06 pm

Cooper wrote:I don't mind Doug Oakley from Life FM...good solid caller.

Agreed. I find him knowledgable, well spoken and easy to listen to.

While not adding to the substance of the call, I think the FM stereo adds to its "atmosphere".
StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

by Wedgie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:23 pm

According to a couple of people I trust more than myself 1 or 2 of the RPH crew did no favours for themselves today when they were blatantly barracking for the Bays.
Ahh well, winners are grinner, suffer! :wink:
Not suprising but disappointing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

by StrayDog » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:29 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
sturt1 wrote:How would it be if footy was taken off the radio and tv, would our opinions still be as strong :wink:

If it were taken off 5AA, I'd be dancing in the streets. :)

I only listen to 5RPH and ABC for my footy, the near-sighted stupidity of 5AA annoys me immensely.

Just as an aside to the thread, while tuning in to LifeFM for coverage of last nights game at Elizabeth (not actually there due to a family commitment), I scoped the bands and came across three stations (AA, MMM and our ABC's "Local" Radio) covering the Geelong/Sydney game in Melbourne. Overkill for any match let alone one with no "local" sides.
StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

by Brad » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Wedgie wrote:According to a couple of people I trust more than myself 1 or 2 of the RPH crew did no favours for themselves today when they were blatantly barracking for the Bays.
Ahh well, winners are grinner, suffer! :wink:
Not suprising but disappointing.

Yes it was a little ordinary :roll:
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

by John_Fidge » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:47 pm

I'm a bays fan and even I get annoyed listening to them blatantly barracking.................................. and it's my team! Not good rph.
John_Fidge
Mini-League

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL