Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two months

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two mo

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:04 pm

While I think that protests are pretty redundant here, for the moment, characterising the protesters as having too much time on their hands is dumb. We all prioritise our spare time differently.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Touché Jimbob :D
Q.
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:34 pm

smac wrote:A protest for something the government is trying to achieve? They happen all the time.

Can't think of one that was targeted at stopping the boats. plenty of political clap trap about it but not alot of marching in the streets.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Q. wrote:While I think that protests are pretty redundant here, for the moment, characterising the protesters as having too much time on their hands is dumb. We all prioritise our spare time differently.

Hey, I'm all for freedom of speech, the right to protest, do whatever you want with your time.

I know how'd I'd try and initiate change, banners and placards aren't my preferred choice but hey, each to their own.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 am

bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:48 pm

"The bullying of small countries by big ones, the trampling of justice and decency in the pursuit of national aggrandisement, and reckless indifference to human life should have no place in our world."
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:48 pm

So, any guesses as to who said that?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Analysis & Opinion: Boat turnbacks make harsh deterrents pointless

Australia's policy of mandatory detention isn't what is stopping the boats, and we should put an end to the untold damage that is being inflicted on people's lives, writes Mike Steketee.

"It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act directly in respect of some of the dreadful events which have driven so many people from their own homes and their own fatherland, but at least we can in the most practical fashion show our sympathy for those less fortunate than ourselves who have been the innocent victims of conflicts and upheavals of which in our own land we have been happy enough to know nothing."

- Robert Menzies, prime minister, durin...

Read the full story
http://abc.net.au/news/5621950
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:Analysis & Opinion: Boat turnbacks make harsh deterrents pointless

Australia's policy of mandatory detention isn't what is stopping the boats, and we should put an end to the untold damage that is being inflicted on people's lives, writes Mike Steketee.

"It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act directly in respect of some of the dreadful events which have driven so many people from their own homes and their own fatherland, but at least we can in the most practical fashion show our sympathy for those less fortunate than ourselves who have been the innocent victims of conflicts and upheavals of which in our own land we have been happy enough to know nothing."

- Robert Menzies, prime minister, durin...

Read the full story
http://abc.net.au/news/5621950

I did

So, you're OK with offshore processing then? Because that's what they did in those days - search "Malaysia" in the article
Plus, Menzies would never have let anyone in here without the proper papers, processes and procedures.

Most of it is emotional tripe which is easily argued against
Just one thing Benny - Do we stop the refugee immigration at 10m or 20m people, or do we just open up the flood gates and have 50,000 people on the high seas at any one day? Perhaps Qantas should chip in and put on 100 free flights a day.
Been to the UK lately?
You do realise that if we open up the borders, we will soon have a few million Indonesians coming in as well.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:17 pm

We have thousands of people coming not millions. Talk about emotional tripe.

And yep I have been to the UK lately, and it seemed like a pretty vibrant place.

Another question - do you believe the Vietnamese have been a blight and a drain on Australia or have they enhanced our culture?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:We have thousands of people coming not millions. Talk about emotional tripe.

And yep I have been to the UK lately, and it seemed like a pretty vibrant place.

Another question - do you believe the Vietnamese have been a blight and a drain on Australia or have they enhanced our culture?

We accepted good and bad Vietnamese people in something of a rush after the embarrassing defeat.
The good ones enhanced our society and some of the bad ones have dominated the Heroin trade in Melbourne for many years.

Earlier immigration processes seemed to have been more measured and careful.

What do we need is effective screening before accepting immigrants from anywhere, and that means an effective and consistent process.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Psyber wrote:
bennymacca wrote:We have thousands of people coming not millions. Talk about emotional tripe.

We accepted good and bad Vietnamese people in something of a rush after the embarrassing defeat.
The good ones enhanced our society and some of the bad ones have dominated the Heroin trade in Melbourne for many years.

Earlier immigration processes seemed to have been more measured and careful.

What do we need is effective screening before accepting immigrants from anywhere, and that means an effective and consistent process.

Correct Psyber

And, Benny, you open up the borders and you will see a flood of people coming in from everywhere

Did you know that they have no idea how many people live in the UK because of the flood of illegal immigrants?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:00 pm

When did I say we should open our borders?

I am 100% for detention centres for screening people and only letting them in if they are genuine refugees.

But the practice of sending them back to the country that persecuted them, or shipping them off to Papua New Guinea is just barbaric. The article mentions processing centres in Malaysia where the source of refugees are and then flying them over here once assessed as genuine and I think that is a much better option than some pacific island. The fact that these people are demonised as being bad when all they are doing is fleeing their country because they are scared for their lives is what really pisses me off
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:01 pm

So Malaysia is ok but PNG is barbaric
You know Malaysia flog illegal immigrants!
Isn't PNG exactly what they did with Malaysia?

The whole point of offshore detention is not to stop asylum seekers but to stop people trafficking
There are ads in all of these countries telling people that you will not be allowed to enter Australia
The news blackout does the same thing: "see, people ARE getting in"
It is to counter the snakehead claims that you will automatically be awarded refugee status by landing here

If anyone thinks this problem will not increase exponentially if we allow onshore processing, then there's no real reason to discuss any more. As I have said before, go and ask the Brits whether they wished they had addressed the problem when it first started
What's going to happen when we start onshore processing, and someone is denied status?
Threats to kill themselves, which is exactly what was happening
Once onshore, they will expect to stay here

I am still waiting to hear a viable alternative strategy from anyone other than to just let them in
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:44 pm

The thing that concerns me is that a large number of our alleged refugees seem to have passed by (or passed through) other safe countries on their way here. That does raise the question of whether they are genuine "refugees" seeking simple safety, or have other more extensive expectations and objectives that should be dealt with by standard immigration processes.

I say "seem" because I don't have hard statistics and am prepared to have my impression corrected if somebody else has them.

That aside, I agree that we do have to stop the human traffickers being able to sell the idea that giving them lots of money and risking your lives on their overloaded boats will guarantee getting to stay in Australia.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Indonesia and Malaysia both aren't signatories to the refugee convention, and refugees aren't allowed to stay there, work there, etc etc. not exactly "safe"
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:Indonesia and Malaysia both aren't signatories to the refugee convention, and refugees aren't allowed to stay there, work there, etc etc. not exactly "safe"

Cambodia is a signatory and no need to use a boat for a lot of them
Iranians can go to Afghanistan and vice versa
Look north from both those countries and plenty of signatories
Sri Lanka is closer to Africa than Australia
PNG is also a signatory but apparently thats not good enough

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm

And refugees do seek asylum to those countries. Are you suggesting we accept none because we're surrounded by water?
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Q. wrote:And refugees do seek asylum to those countries. Are you suggesting we accept none because we're surrounded by water?

That's great that they can get to a signatory country to escape persecution.
Does that mean their next move (over 10,000 kms for some) is for economic reasons?

Plus I'm pretty sure we do accept legitimate refugees.
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics