Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby afc9798 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:33 pm

HH3 wrote:
afc9798 wrote:
marbles wrote:in 10 years that sfl flag will be ours! ya doing well great work

in 2014 we'll concentrate on handballing, the next year marking, then 2016 we'll teach ya tackling!!! mm yeah love you sfl, my next 200 games with christies will certainly be very fulfilling

Probably doesn't warrant a response as you're clearly trolling for a response, however, you clearly haven't noticed the significant improvement of a number of clubs this year in the SFL. Edwardstown, Christies and Hackham all had significant improvement over the prior year. Christies were very competitive and matched it with a number of the top teams for sustained periods, EDwardstown were 3 kicks away from a prelim and hackham had a few wins, beating Flagstaff Hill along the way.

If you want to comment, you should actually get a clue about what is happening in the league instead of preaching a model that is according to many in the SAAFL, a broken model itself.
SFL is far from perfect, but most of us here support the league in its current form whilst hoping for some changes that will improve it, ratyher than radically change the whole concept.

Ive played in both, and believe me, playing for North Haven A Grade in Div 5 is much more rewarding than playing in the As at Hackham and getting pumped by almost 60 goals one long arvo at Brighton Oval.

This isn't a knock on Hackham, because they're awesome people there, doing a ridiculously hard job.

There's a reason most SAAFL divisions are so competitive, and that's the promotion/relegation system. In the 3 seasons Ive been back at the Haviery, the teams competing in finals havent been decided until the final regular season game.

Just because its Div 5, doesn't mean we don't or shouldn't appreciate our successes.

This whole arguments like saying Div 1 teams shouldnt consider their premierships successes because they didnt do it in the SANFL. And SANFL Premiers shouldnt consider it a success because they didnt do it in the AFL.

I don't disagree with you and can certainly appreciate the situation with being belted week in week out. I do not support other posters comments about the relevance of flags in any division, but I do take exception to this being the great panacea for struggling SFL Clubs. if it was, they would be doing it now. As I said SFL is far from perfect, but there is a reason clubs aren't leaving it.

We love the fact that our teams play against traditional rivals, all teams mostly play at the same grounds and we get to build that culture within the club of having all our guys developing together. it's not a slight on the SAAFL as it obviously works for most of those clubs, it's just a different model.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby HH3 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:28 pm

afc9798 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

in 2014 we'll concentrate on handballing, the next year marking, then 2016 we'll teach ya tackling!!! mm yeah love you sfl, my next 200 games with christies will certainly be very fulfilling

Probably doesn't warrant a response as you're clearly trolling for a response, however, you clearly haven't noticed the significant improvement of a number of clubs this year in the SFL. Edwardstown, Christies and Hackham all had significant improvement over the prior year. Christies were very competitive and matched it with a number of the top teams for sustained periods, EDwardstown were 3 kicks away from a prelim and hackham had a few wins, beating Flagstaff Hill along the way.

If you want to comment, you should actually get a clue about what is happening in the league instead of preaching a model that is according to many in the SAAFL, a broken model itself.
SFL is far from perfect, but most of us here support the league in its current form whilst hoping for some changes that will improve it, ratyher than radically change the whole concept.

Ive played in both, and believe me, playing for North Haven A Grade in Div 5 is much more rewarding than playing in the As at Hackham and getting pumped by almost 60 goals one long arvo at Brighton Oval.

This isn't a knock on Hackham, because they're awesome people there, doing a ridiculously hard job.

There's a reason most SAAFL divisions are so competitive, and that's the promotion/relegation system. In the 3 seasons Ive been back at the Haviery, the teams competing in finals havent been decided until the final regular season game.

Just because its Div 5, doesn't mean we don't or shouldn't appreciate our successes.

This whole arguments like saying Div 1 teams shouldnt consider their premierships successes because they didnt do it in the SANFL. And SANFL Premiers shouldnt consider it a success because they didnt do it in the AFL.

I don't disagree with you and can certainly appreciate the situation with being belted week in week out. I do not support other posters comments about the relevance of flags in any division, but I do take exception to this being the great panacea for struggling SFL Clubs. if it was, they would be doing it now. As I said SFL is far from perfect, but there is a reason clubs aren't leaving it.

We love the fact that our teams play against traditional rivals, all teams mostly play at the same grounds and we get to build that culture within the club of having all our guys developing together. it's not a slight on the SAAFL as it obviously works for most of those clubs, it's just a different model.

There were some things I liked about the SFL. The juniors playing on Saturdays being one.

But if everyone is being honest, who thinks Hackham and Aldinga will be in a position to play finals in the next 3-5 years as things stand?

Like I said, Ive been away from the league for 3 seasons, but I do check scores and player movements and stuff, and even though there has been some improvement, is it sustainable?

Besides Cove in 2008, only the bigger clubs have been successful in the last 12 years. I dont see that changing without some change to how the leagues structured.

Don't ask me for a solution though, coz I have no idea.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm

HH3 wrote:Besides Cove in 2008, only the bigger clubs have been successful in the last 12 years. I dont see that changing without some change to how the leagues structured.

People seem to have short memories. You say that only the "bigger" clubs have won it in the last 12 years but neglect to mention how long it was between drinks for some of these "bigger" clubs.

Morphett Vale - before 2004 won it last in 1981
Reynella - had a 30+ year Premiership drought before 2010
Noarlunga Hawks - haven't played in a GF since 03 and besides winning it in '01 most would say have underachieved throughout the years they were incredibly strong
Brighton - haven't been in the competition long enough to have an extended drought as they have generally been competitive

Happy Valley would be the only team that has been consistently in a position to compete for a flag since the early 90's the rest have definitely had their time in the shade.

I am not saying that you shouldn't enjoy a Div 5, or any division, Premiership I am just saying that moving a club from a stronger competition just to do it would have a slightly hollow feel to it IMO. You strive to improve your game to win Premiership not bringing the rest of the pack back to you.

I liken it to getting the shit kicked out of you by a big kid only to turn around and beat up a littler kid to make yourself feel good. Anyway just my opinion and I'm done!
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Bloods4Life » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
HH3 wrote:Besides Cove in 2008, only the bigger clubs have been successful in the last 12 years. I dont see that changing without some change to how the leagues structured.

People seem to have short memories. You say that only the "bigger" clubs have won it in the last 12 years but neglect to mention how long it was between drinks for some of these "bigger" clubs.

Morphett Vale - before 2004 won it last in 1981
Reynella - had a 30+ year Premiership drought before 2010
Noarlunga Hawks - haven't played in a GF since 03 and besides winning it in '01 most would say have underachieved throughout the years they were incredibly strong
Brighton - haven't been in the competition long enough to have an extended drought as they have generally been competitive

Happy Valley would be the only team that has been consistently in a position to compete for a flag since the early 90's the rest have definitely had their time in the shade.

I am not saying that you shouldn't enjoy a Div 5, or any division, Premiership I am just saying that moving a club from a stronger competition just to do it would have a slightly hollow feel to it IMO. You strive to improve your game to win Premiership not bringing the rest of the pack back to you.

I liken it to getting the shit kicked out of you by a big kid only to turn around and beat up a littler kid to make yourself feel good. Anyway just my opinion and I'm done!

Great post ZC
Bloods4Life
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Bloods4Life » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 pm

afc9798 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

Perfect post!! Exactly what I've been saying all along, no one should knock or have a crack at each other's leagues, both models work well for the teams represented in each league.. And each have positives and negatives but every sporting or business model worldwide does. And who would beat who in a match is totally irrelevant . Let's all end this ridiculous argument .
Bloods4Life
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Panther32 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm

I think one of the other things that people need to realise is that the points system was brought in to try and even out competitions.
I think the GSFL is a great example of the points system working as the league hasn't been this even in probably decades.
I think with the amount of teams that the SFL it is going to probably take a little while longer for it to be as even.
Teams will need to put a lot more time and effort into their juniors because this is where the talent needs to come from.
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Broken Down Hack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Panther32 wrote:I think one of the other things that people need to realise is that the points system was brought in to try and even out competitions.
I think the GSFL is a great example of the points system working as the league hasn't been this even in probably decades.
I think with the amount of teams that the SFL it is going to probably take a little while longer for it to be as even.
Teams will need to put a lot more time and effort into their juniors because this is where the talent needs to come from.

ALL CLUBS PUT TIME AND EFFORT INTO JUNIORS
thats a great idea putting time and effort in to juniors but if juniors only want to play for the stronger clubs what hope has the others got...because no kid wants to play in a side that gets belted week in week out....
E.G..... if Brighton has 3 u/14 side....Marion don't have an u/14....why then do kids leave Marion to got to Brighton....simple answer play in a winning side.....cap the numbers and it may help struggling junior clubs.....in a real world.... but not this one...
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Yank Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Panther32 wrote:I think one of the other things that people need to realise is that the points system was brought in to try and even out competitions.

Yes Panther32, it works so well in the GSFL that Yankalilla played in the 2012 GF and ended up with 7 points in 2013 and finished with the wooden spoon in 2013, great system. As for juniors, most senior kids in Yank go to the city for education and don't come home. Dont get me wrong, I agree with the points system but I think it is lop sided. For me, salary caps sort out the wood from the chaff. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:06 am

Yank Man wrote:

Yes Panther32, it works so well in the GSFL that Yankalilla played in the 2012 GF and ended up with 7 points in 2013 and finished with the wooden spoon in 2013, great system. As for juniors, most senior kids in Yank go to the city for education and don't come home. Dont get me wrong, I agree with the points system but I think it is lop sided. For me, salary caps sort out the wood from the chaff. :)

Points System does not work, all it has done is inflated the price of players
Salary Cap does not work as it is too hard to police

I don't understand the constant obsession with trying to control clubs - we don't need either system
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:25 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

I don't understand the constant obsession with trying to control clubs - we don't need either system

Agree in principle, but without either system it becomes a battle of the haves and have nots and even more magnified than it currently is. If a club can attract big dollars, then they can attract multiple 'marquee' type players. If other clubs cannot, how will they compete against teams full of mercenaries on incentives to play finals? This is a conundrum in every league and I actually don't think there is a solution. At least the points system largely prevents teams bringing in more than a few 'guns for hire'.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:58 am

afc9798 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Agree in principle, but without either system it becomes a battle of the haves and have nots and even more magnified than it currently is. If a club can attract big dollars, then they can attract multiple 'marquee' type players. If other clubs cannot, how will they compete against teams full of mercenaries on incentives to play finals? This is a conundrum in every league and I actually don't think there is a solution. At least the points system largely prevents teams bringing in more than a few 'guns for hire'.

Happens now anyway. Weak businesses don't get strong by restricting the strong businesses. Likewise, struggling clubs won't become competitive just because you restrict everyone's recruiting.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Panther32 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Yank Man wrote:

The only time it is not going to probably work is when you bring in a coach who has brought with him his mates, he leaves and so do the rest of his mates!
But if you recruit the right players who hang around for a while then you will not have that problem.
The most important thing to do is to work on your local kids and yes I can see that the smaller towns like Yank and Pongy will struggle compared to the likes of a Victor or Willunga but in some leagues the clubs that are challenged by distance tend to get a couple of extra points.
The league need to also look at mass exoduses carefully and allocate extra points if required.
But all in all wouldn't you have said that this season in the GSFL has been pretty even?
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:55 am

ha - not bad! :D
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:17 am

AFLflyer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8pYP9fe9g

get Eddy betts, F**ck the crows.
best line.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am

:lol: gold
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:57 pm

AFLflyer wrote:

best line.

Get james hird on the phone ... he can get us what we need :lol:
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby norwood8 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:
AFLflyer wrote:

best line.

Get james hird on the phone ... he can get us what we need :lol:

Absolute gold :lol: :lol:
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby words of wisdom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Panther32 wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

The only time it is not going to probably work is when you bring in a coach who has brought with him his mates, he leaves and so do the rest of his mates!
But if you recruit the right players who hang around for a while then you will not have that problem.
The most important thing to do is to work on your local kids and yes I can see that the smaller towns like Yank and Pongy will struggle compared to the likes of a Victor or Willunga but in some leagues the clubs that are challenged by distance tend to get a couple of extra points.
The league need to also look at mass exoduses carefully and allocate extra points if required.
But all in all wouldn't you have said that this season in the GSFL has been pretty even?

It's the most even the gsfl has ever been & the standard was as good as it's ever been.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby finals fever » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 am

Heard on the grape vine that Noarlunga have lost a few through retirements and a quite a few more to other clubs. Any truth this this?
finals fever

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby marbles » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:16 pm

just imagine when marion win next years div 7 flag, and all the sfls 13 other teams (excluding its 2014 premier) will be in the exact same position they are right now - with zero hope of winning the flag for another 15 years :) lol
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL