Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Why Marion and M/P did not merge 18 teams is beyond me. The reality is if kids get flogged every week they will walk away in this day and age of everybody is a winner and give it to me now. At least a merged 18 would have sufficient numbers and be competitive.

Even though our 18's got flogged by Brighton we had plenty of players in our U18's. Of the 22 players we had only 3 were U16's. Isn't it better that marion and Morphy's both have teams? I don't think it would have mattered if we did merge as i think the scores still would have been the same. Brighton's 18's are a very good team and will probably flog a few other team this year. Looking at the scores in the under 18 comp most of the games were very one sided.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:03 am

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Why Marion and M/P did not merge 18 teams is beyond me. The reality is if kids get flogged every week they will walk away in this day and age of everybody is a winner and give it to me now. At least a merged 18 would have sufficient numbers and be competitive.

Absolutely not, if you can field a team, do it. One season a few years back we fielded an U/18 team when we only had 7 players. Each week we would scratch together a team by adding a few U/16s or even U/14s to get up to the minimum 14 players, then they went out and got belted.

By about half way we had managed to scratch a few more together to ease the burden on the younger grades, having a team in the first place is better than none at all, it gives you a base to work from.

The best part of this was each of those 7 players is still at the club, two are in the B-Grade, one is a junior coach, another a team manager, 2 others also assist the junior coach. Every single one has become a valued member of the club and each is grateful that we did not pull the pin on them. None of them seem to have any adverse effects due to losing a few games by a large margin. This was only 6 years ago, fortunately since then our numbers have been better.

Getting belted is still better than not playing at all.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby godra » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:02 pm

This weekend, the Marion U/18's had 17 on the oval. A few new faces brought up the numbers and the boys were happy to have an almost full side.

My question though is that is MP and Marion merged their U/18's, how many kids would miss a game per week.

When you were that age, wouldn't you rather be running around every week as opposed to playing once every fortnight because you have too many numbers in a squad?

But then again, juniors will swarm to a successful club in search of a premiership. EG - how many kids who live next to MP or Marion ovals drive to Brighton because they are a successful club? It never ceases to amaze me.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby RFC 2010 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 pm

King wrote:Lots of negativity surrounding last w/e games. I thought the Flaggies / Flies game was very entertaining and certainly worth watching. Appeared to me to be a very good crowd as well. The favourites got up by about 6 goals in the end but that was not indicative of the game. Would be interested to read a 'Flies view.

Flaggies were strong early but failed to convert chances on the scoreboard. Flies gradually wore them down. The margin of 6 goals was a fair reflection of the effort of both sides.

As always, Flaggies strong in 18's and B's.

Based on Saturday's effort, I reckon Flaggies should finish in the lower part of the top 8
RFC 2010
Rookie

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

godra wrote:This weekend, the Marion U/18's had 17 on the oval. A few new faces brought up the numbers and the boys were happy to have an almost full side.

My question though is that is MP and Marion merged their U/18's, how many kids would miss a game per week.

When you were that age, wouldn't you rather be running around every week as opposed to playing once every fortnight because you have too many numbers in a squad?

But then again, juniors will swarm to a successful club in search of a premiership. EG - how many kids who live next to MP or Marion ovals drive to Brighton because they are a successful club? It never ceases to amaze me.

It's just as much to do with the proximity of a kids school to a local club (just ask Aldinga FC re. Willunga High and Willunga FC) rather than where the kid may live. Clubs like Morphy Park, Marion and Mitchell Park used to feed off kids who first attended Warradale PS, Morphettville PS, Marion PS, Sturt PS, Oaklands PS, Ascot Park PS, Dover PS before then heading to Dover HS, Glengowrie HS, Marion HS, Mitchell Park HS & Seacombe HS. All of these schools either don't exist anymore or are significantly down sized in pupil numbers over the last 15 to 25 years. Many of these schools were in Housing Trust heartland. Nowhere near as much housing trust in the mid-southern suburbs these days and more higher income earners who send their kids to private schools which is also not a good match for playing in the SFL, hence why some neighbouring Metro South Junior Clubs have thrived to the detriment of MP and Marion.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby godra » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:53 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
godra wrote:This weekend, the Marion U/18's had 17 on the oval. A few new faces brought up the numbers and the boys were happy to have an almost full side.

It's just as much to do with the proximity of a kids school to a local club (just ask Aldinga FC re. Willunga High and Willunga FC) rather than where the kid may live. Clubs like Morphy Park, Marion and Mitchell Park used to feed off kids who first attended Warradale PS, Morphettville PS, Marion PS, Sturt PS, Oaklands PS, Ascot Park PS, Dover PS before then heading to Dover HS, Glengowrie HS, Marion HS, Mitchell Park HS & Seacombe HS. All of these schools either don't exist anymore or are significantly down sized in pupil numbers over the last 15 to 25 years. Many of these schools were in Housing Trust heartland. Nowhere near as much housing trust in the mid-southern suburbs these days and more higher income earners who send their kids to private schools which is also not a good match for playing in the SFL, hence why some neighbouring Metro South Junior Clubs have thrived to the detriment of MP and Marion.

Can't argue with you there DTH, very fair comment. I guess I am still bitter about my junior football. Played for a club in the SFL where winning was rare and I had kids next door to me who would drive past our club to go and play down the road because they won games.

For what it's worth, the Marion U/8's, 10's etc are thriving and hopefully that can translate into numbers in the coming years.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Another year of Vics01 comments.....YAY
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby vics01 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Gee Thanks Hac....k. I value every word you utter.. I wonder how long MV can continue to play 7, 18's in the B grade each week when the months get colder, wetter and injuries kick in.... Plenty in this league do not look at the bigger picture. Yep xtra points got MV to a GF, however they obviously have no depth. Yes I know they are entering a C grade, where are all the C grade players if 18's are doubling up, hopefully they were all at a wedding or similar and fill all sides from next week. No orphans by any stretch. Have seen plenty of talk of quality players leaving the league.. One must ask the question why?? Too many looking after own backyard instead of bigger picture, eventually own backyard mentality will affect every club and quality of players and comp.

Not singling MVP just an example of how clubs cannot continue with minimum numbers without looking to combine some junior teams. All is well in March and April but by July and August injury sickness etc kicks in.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Mister Footy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 pm

vics01 wrote:Gee Thanks Hac....k. I value every word you utter.. I wonder how long MV can continue to play 7, 18's in the B grade each week when the months get colder, wetter and injuries kick in.... Plenty in this league do not look at the bigger picture. Yep xtra points got MV to a GF, however they obviously have no depth. Yes I know they are entering a C grade, where are all the C grade players if 18's are doubling up, hopefully they were all at a wedding or similar and fill all sides from next week. No orphans by any stretch. Have seen plenty of talk of quality players leaving the league.. One must ask the question why?? Too many looking after own backyard instead of bigger picture, eventually own backyard mentality will affect every club and quality of players and comp.

Not singling MVP just an example of how clubs cannot continue with minimum numbers without looking to combine some junior teams. All is well in March and April but by July and August injury sickness etc kicks in.

MVP have apparently appointed a former HV coach to coach their C grade. HV not having a C grade this year seems like MVP may attract some former HV players to fill their side.
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby MatteeG » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:03 am

godra wrote:For what it's worth, the Marion U/8's, 10's etc are thriving and hopefully that can translate into numbers in the coming years.

That's the key godra. Get the numbers in the kiddies up and keep working.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm

vics01 wrote:Gee Thanks Hac....k. I value every word you utter.. I wonder how long MV can continue to play 7, 18's in the B grade each week when the months get colder, wetter and injuries kick in.... Plenty in this league do not look at the bigger picture. Yep xtra points got MV to a GF, however they obviously have no depth. Yes I know they are entering a C grade, where are all the C grade players if 18's are doubling up, hopefully they were all at a wedding or similar and fill all sides from next week. No orphans by any stretch. Have seen plenty of talk of quality players leaving the league.. One must ask the question why?? Too many looking after own backyard instead of bigger picture, eventually own backyard mentality will affect every club and quality of players and comp.

:shock: Only time you're not singling out MVP is when you are singling out BDOS :roll: :lol:
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 pm

His username of Vics01 is a clue to where he originates from, so that explains something. Maybe we try and get an extradition order to send him back there.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby jumbo20 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Tough on Aldinga Coach?
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby afc9798 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:15 pm

jumbo20 wrote:Tough on Aldinga Coach?

Sadly when you have a 300 point loss, there's no redeeming features of your club's performance and they can't see it getting any better, then you're going to get it in the neck. The question is who would want to coach that side? :oops:
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby fisho mcspaz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 pm

F***ing hell I'd like to wring the neck of whoever put that bloody article in the Advertiser. Last thing the club needs. Didn't help Callington and won't help us.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Animus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:08 pm

What's the setup with the combined Aldinga/Noarlunga U18 team?

Are those players eligible to play senior footy for either the sharks or the shoes or both?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 pm

[quote="Animus"]What's the setup with the combined Aldinga/Noarlunga U18 team?

Are those players eligible to play senior footy for either the sharks or the shoes or both?[/quote
Players are allowed to play up for home club only
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
MVP have apparently appointed a former HV coach to coach their C grade. HV not having a C grade this year seems like MVP may attract some former HV players to fill their side.

Find it amazing that a strong club such as HV cannot get a C grade together, is it a case of too hard maybe?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3500 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Is Paul Brown coaching Aldinga now????
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby fisho mcspaz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 pm

vics01 wrote:Is Paul Brown coaching Aldinga now????

He was coaching the Bs; I thought that Steve Flintham would be taking over the As. Don't quote me on that though; it's been a couple of days.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL