Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby qwerty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 pm

What are the points they have played with so far this year, seems most of the time they are playing well under?

Reynella would be quite happy at the moment, ticking along nicely in the background undefeated with not a whole lot of talk about them.

Porties bounced back on the weekend, was it just a bad day for them last week?

Battle for top 4 outside of Reynella looks like it will come down to Noarlunga, Porties, MV, HV and Flaggies.
qwerty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby HardenUp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:07 pm

vics01 wrote:Wondering where Edwardstown are at with Under 18 team.. Notice they have forfeited the last two weeks.... Is this as a result of the spoilt brats (adults) walking out and starting their own club a few years ago??

Not that I agree with what happened to EFC juniors, labelling them as spoilt brats is a fair way off the mark. In essence they did what they thought was best for the club and if you like it or not, time has determined EFC move to the SFL as a complete failure!! No success, mass exodus of senior and juniors since the move, has almost destroyed the club.

Thankfully the old President has been replaced and with any luck the board will be putting to vote the motion of returning to the SAAFL. This would immediately resolve participation numbers for both seniors and juniors!!!

Every member and player was told there were three reasons for move to SFL and in preference; fees to play in SFL were significantly less than Div 2 SAAFL, to receive gate takings and so U18's could play same venue as seniors.

I am now led to believe SAAFL fees have been significantly reduced (plus fair to say EFC are a LONG way off Div 2, more like Div 4/5).
Regarding gate takings; Crowd and membership levels would be at an all time low, compared to playing in the SAAFL. So while a gate taking is being collected, the loss of food and beverage sales has negated any extra windfalls received.

I can see how the SFL concept works for some clubs but at EFC it is a clear case of knowing your demographics and making decisions based on majority.
HardenUp

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:31 pm

So Harden Up - do you think Townies will be back in the SAAFL next year? It would seem that there may be some openings in Div 3 or Div 4 for a club like E'Town to be slotted. I tend to agree with your comments about demographics which is an issue for all SFL clubs South of Seacombe Road. Maybe E'Town mis-judged their ability to fully adopt the SFL structure and their inability to field a full deck of junior teams has clearly made it difficult for members to fully embrace the SFL as a better alternative to the SAAFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby HardenUp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Down the Hill wrote:So Harden Up - do you think Townies will be back in the SAAFL next year? It would seem that there may be some openings in Div 3 or Div 4 for a club like E'Town to be slotted. I tend to agree with your comments about demographics which is an issue for all SFL clubs South of Seacombe Road. Maybe E'Town mis-judged their ability to fully adopt the SFL structure and their inability to field a full deck of junior teams has clearly made it difficult for members to fully embrace the SFL as a better alternative to the SAAFL.

The only ‘mis-judgement’ was that made by the former President who obviously didn’t think the clear vast majority of players, members & parents (whom are also vital volunteers) were telling the truth when they opposed the move.........

From a monetary perspective, Towns might not have any other option but move back to SAAFL. Think most footy supporters would also agree from an on-field success perspective this move is also required.

For senior team; if you look at ladder positions and average volume of players who have left since move to SFL and then look at junior grade participation, the forecast is anything but bright!!
HardenUp

Postby 1919 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:01 pm

HardenUp wrote:
The only ‘mis-judgement’ was that made by the former President who obviously didn’t think the clear vast majority of players, members & parents (whom are also vital volunteers) were telling the truth when they opposed the move.........

Thankfully the old President has been replaced .

Your surely have an axe to grind with the former Pres, it's a bit rich putting the blame of the clubs slide onto one individual Was he even president at the time? From what I've heard he was recruited back into the club to help fix what was a mess i.e. huge backward steps both on field and financially! You seem to know a lot about the club, you'd therefore recall the man did a power of work and tipped a bucket load of his own cash into the club over a number of years i.e. 80's, 90's and 20's. He knew how to handle the purse strings to get the finances back on track after the disasters of previous boards. Any club would be hard pressed finding someone to replace those skill sets and find the funding to faciliatate the climb up SAAFL tree you seem so passionate to occur. Let's hope you're just the man to do it hey?

HardenUp wrote:Every member and player was told there were three reasons for move to SFL and in preference; fees to play in SFL were significantly less than Div 2 SAAFL, to receive gate takings and so U18's could play same venue as seniors........I can see how the SFL concept works for some clubs but at EFC it is a clear case of knowing your demographics and making decisions based on majority.

I was living interstate at the time so am interested to know, are you suggesting the former Pres made the decision on his own or are you contradicting yourself here? Surely the decision was put to a vote of members and if so, it would appear the majority vote sent the club to SFL? If it didn't go to members to vote on and the members didn't like it, then like all clubs members would have had the opportunity to vote in a new boards and president very quickly and easily with the support of unhappy members. Surely the bloke who campaigned so hard against the SFL move could have organised that quite easily?

Morphy Park and Brighton seem to manage the demographics of the local area pretty well, seniors success and plenty of junior teams, but no wonder there, each is run as ONE club.
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby HardenUp » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Your surely have an axe to grind with the former Pres, it's a bit rich putting the blame of the clubs slide onto one individual Was he even president at the time? From what I've heard he was recruited back into the club to help fix what was a mess i.e. huge backward steps both on field and financially! You seem to know a lot about the club, you'd therefore recall the man did a power of work and tipped a bucket load of his own cash into the club over a number of years i.e. 80's, 90's and 20's. He knew how to handle the purse strings to get the finances back on track after the disasters of previous boards. Any club would be hard pressed finding someone to replace those skill sets and find the funding to faciliatate the climb up SAAFL tree you seem so passionate to occur. Let's hope you're just the man to do it hey?

I was living interstate at the time so am interested to know, are you suggesting the former Pres made the decision on his own or are you contradicting yourself here? Surely the decision was put to a vote of members and if so, it would appear the majority vote sent the club to SFL? If it didn't go to members to vote on and the members didn't like it, then like all clubs members would have had the opportunity to vote in a new boards and president very quickly and easily with the support of unhappy members. Surely the bloke who campaigned so hard against the SFL move could have organised that quite easily?

Morphy Park and Brighton seem to manage the demographics of the local area pretty well, seniors success and plenty of junior teams, but no wonder there, each is run as ONE club.[/quote]

Hopefully you have had sufficient time 1919 to reassess and regroup.
The only axe I have to grind is with people such as yourself; who refuse to admit the move to SFL is nothing but a failure.
Regarding the former President, completely agree about work done in the PAST. My comment is purely about the move to SFL and if the ONE club approach had been taken, junior and senior voting, the move to SFL wouldn’t have happened.
Please don’t tell me performances from 10 or 20 years ago are suffice to hold your spot in the present team? Grow up 1919, live in the moment, stop embarrassing yourself and the club and act appropriately – if that is what you truly believe!!
HardenUp

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm

If this was my club I would prefer this discussed at AGM or committee meetings, not in public forum
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby King » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:02 pm

DTH, how's the heart and the blood pressure? A draw last week and a one pointer this week. Has the Chardonnay Set lost a few members?
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby King » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:20 pm

A Grade top 4 getting established with teams at 5, 6, & 7 still a bye to come. Nevertheless, next weekend HV v Bushpigs (at HV) will be a cracker!

Notice one S.McKenzie played B grade for HV today. Will he step up to A's next week .......... hope so.
King
Under 16s

Postby King » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 pm

My apologies, I should have also mentioned Reynella V Porties next week as a critical game and one worth going a long way to see. Haven"t been to Reynella since round 1. How is the ground holding up in the recent rain .......... is the cricket pitch area a shit heap?
King
Under 16s

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Another heart stopper for the Bombers yesterday but got the full chocolates this week. Keeps the battle for the final 8 wide open. Makes me laugh seeing players blaming umpires for their loss straight after the game including having a crack at their coach for shaking the umpires hands as they left the field. Maybe some of those blokes should consider their own basic skill errors and turnovers at crucial stages before looking to find someone else to blame.

This week sees those wonderful country championships where blokes from all over metropolitan Adelaide head off to Kadina to represent their "country" leagues. And that's just not the Southern Dist. Team. If several of the other Zones get their best players representing them, there will be plenty of players who wouldn't know the difference between a crop and a weed. Our own SFL comp will be compromised by having 10 to 12 blokes missing club footy. The sooner the SFL dis-affiliates with the notion of being a country league the better. Can't we just be considered a metropolitan district league no different than what is the case in Melbourne where district leagues co-exist with the Ammo's.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:55 am

King wrote:A Grade top 4 getting established with teams at 5, 6, & 7 still a bye to come. Nevertheless, next weekend HV v Bushpigs (at HV) will be a cracker!

Notice one S.McKenzie played B grade for HV today. Will he step up to A's next week .......... hope so.

Agree next weeks game will be very interesting and will be good to have 5 games of good footy in all grades
Brilliant to see Macka back in action
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby 1919 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
King wrote:A Grade top 4 getting established with teams at 5, 6, & 7 still a bye to come. Nevertheless, next weekend HV v Bushpigs (at HV) will be a cracker!

Agree next weeks game will be very interesting and will be good to have 5 games of good footy in all grades

Yeah coz he's such a champion bloke right. I'd prefer him still on the other side of the fence
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby afc9798 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am

1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:

Yeah coz he's such a champion bloke right. I'd prefer him still on the other side of the fence

I'm sure just about every single person that knows him disagrees with you. I know you have a personal axe to grind, but the guy has served more than his suspension and is free to play regardless of your opinion. The number of blokes from Noarlunga who went out of their way to shake his hand at the B grade game on Saturday tells me there's plenty of respect for the guy.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby afc9798 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 am

I think he may have to as there will be at least 4 of our blokes missing due to the country game.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:46 am

King wrote:My apologies, I should have also mentioned Reynella V Porties next week as a critical game and one worth going a long way to see. Haven"t been to Reynella since round 1. How is the ground holding up in the recent rain .......... is the cricket pitch area a shit heap?

Haha coming from a Flaggy bloke the shit heap comment is funny
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby watchdog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Any clubs manage to slip in a late clearance before yesterdays close off?
watchdog
Under 18s

Been liked: 11 times

Postby King » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:43 pm

tigerpie wrote:
King wrote:My apologies, I should have also mentioned Reynella V Porties next week as a critical game and one worth going a long way to see. Haven"t been to Reynella since round 1. How is the ground holding up in the recent rain .......... is the cricket pitch area a shit heap?

Haha coming from a Flaggy bloke the shit heap comment is funny

I'm pleased you are amused tigerpie. Nevertheless how is the cricket pitch area holding up?
King
Under 16s

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 am

anyone want a spot in the saafl div 3? div 4? div 5? i have the key....
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Secondsquare » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:52 am

Watchdog I have heard that noarlunga have signed another west adelaide player! I was told he had been playing league football! Can't remember his name but it's on the clearance sight, I think they now become equal favourites with reynella! What is wrong with mcentee at the flies has missed the last couple and they need him to be firing for reynella to go all the way. So Vic's and dth time for you guys to get jealous and start having a go at the shoes,
Secondsquare

Been liked: 4 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL