Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Blaze of Glory » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:28 pm

We played at Reynell last Saturday and as the photos show it was muddy in certain places (centre square and in front of club rooms) but most of the oval was fine.
There were certainly no safety issues.
Attachments
cbfc vs reynella 3.jpg
cbfc vs reynella 3.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
cbfc vs reynell 2.jpg
cbfc vs reynell 2.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
cbfc vs reynella 1.jpg
cbfc vs reynella 1.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Blaze of Glory
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 pm

In the 3rd photo do I spot the CB Secretary in the background wearing that horrible tan puffer jacket of his. LGIL, you are mates with the CB Secretary - can you confirm.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby vics01 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Would have though Lonsdale which is like a cow paddock with dips and ruts and Noarlunga would be worse, ovals
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Down the Hill wrote:In the 3rd photo do I spot the CB Secretary in the background wearing that horrible tan puffer jacket of his. LGIL, you are mates with the CB Secretary - can you confirm.

I think you are right DTH. That horrible jacket is copping its fair share of jokes recently.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:In the 3rd photo do I spot the CB Secretary in the background wearing that horrible tan puffer jacket of his. LGIL, you are mates with the CB Secretary - can you confirm.

I think you are right DTH. That horrible jacket is copping its fair share of jokes recently.

Our Secretary thinks he has an OK fashion sense but he's not fooling anyone. The guy has no idea. In fact no fashion prizes for most SFL club administrators.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Reynella Oval is fine in those photos, its footy and its winter FFS!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:28 pm

vics01 wrote:Would have though Lonsdale which is like a cow paddock with dips and ruts and Noarlunga would be worse, ovals

Seen Brighton oval recently?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby reppoh_eht » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm sure Reynella's oval (and every other oval in the league) is in better condition than what Flaggy Oval looked like back in 2004...

And for the record - only 1 game was ever called off and that was due to the concrete Cricket Pitch and not the Oval (something Reynella do not need to worry about). So time to get over the state of the ovals and play some Footy... :rock: :supz:
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Rrrr the Pig Pen back in the day ..... use to love playing in those conditions .... woolen jumpers weighing a tonne hanging down to your knees .... after game showers that hurt like hell because your legs were cut to pieces from the sandy and mud surface .... once pulled a piece of rusted angle iron out the ground about a foot long chucked over fence ... we had a laugh that day ..... thats was real footy .... strewth were not in the AFL.
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Brighton a few weeks ago. 3 kids in the mini's lost a boot in it. I was wondering why one of our kids was hopping around, he had lost a boot.
Attachments
Brighton oval.jpg
Brighton oval.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 pm

I still go to Google Images and type in Bridgewater Oval. Seen it dozens of times and my jaw still drops on each occasion.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:00 pm

reppoh_eht wrote:I'm sure Reynella's oval (and every other oval in the league) is in better condition than what Flaggy Oval looked like back in 2004...

And for the record - only 1 game was ever called off and that was due to the concrete Cricket Pitch and not the Oval (something Reynella do not need to worry about). So time to get over the state of the ovals and play some Footy... :rock: :supz:

Unreal, a lot of work has gone into the oval and it was in near perfect nick tonight (considering the recent rain) for subbies training, no mud or even a squelch, got the drainage working brilliantly meaning no more puddles.

Would suggest it is now one of the best ovals in the league.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still go to Google Images and type in Bridgewater Oval. Seen it dozens of times and my jaw still drops on each occasion.

I drove past there once and saw a guy mowing the 'grass' on the oval very patiently with a hand mower. I hope he was getting well paid for it! :shock:
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Luke15 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:24 am

Some interesting results yesterday. It looks as though Morphy Parks have clicked and are making a late push for the 8 and could do some damage if they get there. Are Christies finals chances gone now??

Valley look like they are coming good too at the right time of the year. I also saw a certain S Smith play for Flaggies yesterday, kick 5 goals and get named best on. Bit bizarre he was playing in Sturts league side only 2 weeks ago. MatteeG any knowledge on this??

I.chose to pop in and watch Shoes vs Flies yesterday and see what all the hoo ha of the oval was all about. First of all, the oval was not that bad. Sure it was muddy in some patches but that's to be expected this time of the year. But on the game, I think the scoreline flattered the Shoes a little as Reynella controlled most of the game. Shoes made a surge in the 3rd term but Flies responded well. Was a good game to watch with some quality players on show. Battle of big fwds was won by McEntee who.kicked 4, three of these in the last term which were important. Caudle was well.held and only kicked 1.

Both sides had a few out too but.i did enjoy watching two good sides go at it.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby norwood8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:46 am

Luke15 wrote: Valley look like they are coming good too at the right time of the year. I also saw a certain S Smith play for Flaggies yesterday, kick 5 goals and get named best on. Bit bizarre he was playing in Sturts league side only 2 weeks ago.

Sam had been thinking about this for a while, with Flaggies looking good for the finals he needed to get his four games played to qualify (four from memory?). Sturt were a bit upset, but understood his decision. Helps that he has the potential to earn some reasonable coin with some good performances.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:13 pm

But aren't Sturt a monty for finals in league and reserves. This is a guy who played league footy as recently as 28 June. Says more about the blokes character than anything else. What are your thoughts about this 85 WAGY particularly being a Falcon, but also a big supporter of the SANFL comp. Is this another nail in the coffin of the relevance and care factor surrounding the SANFL. How would you feel if half the current Glenelg league team decided to jump the sinking ship at the Bay and headed back to their local and South-East clubs to qualify for finals and earn a higher match payment than they would be getting in the SANFL. Those SANFL payments being lower because most SANFL clubs waste the majority of their salary cap on delisted AFL players who don't end up making a major difference.

22 goals kicked at Reynella in the A grade yesterday so conditions couldn't have been too tragic. Did the Shoe's brain trust make too big an issue of conditions which was just the motivation needed for Reynella and also put negative thoughts into the heads of their own players.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:03 pm

DTH it has happened recently at the Bay actually.
As for Sam, it isn't something which happened overnight.
I'm not speaking specifically re Sam with this response, as Flaggies don't pay the big $$$ paid in country leagues, but any club would pay more than SANFL Reserves players receive.

It's great to have him back for the rest of 2014.
Who knows what he will do next season, especially if Matt Duldig retires and there's more opportunities at league level
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Id he definately back for the rest of the season? I was told it was because of Sturt's bye?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:24 pm

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:DTH it has happened recently at the Bay actually.
As for Sam, it isn't something which happened overnight.
I'm not speaking specifically re Sam with this response, as Flaggies don't pay the big $$$ paid in country leagues, but any club would pay more than SANFL Reserves players receive.

It's great to have him back for the rest of 2014.
Who knows what he will do next season, especially if Matt Duldig retires and there's more opportunities at league level

You say it happened at the Bay but wasn't that just Allen and Alleway resuming from injury and suspension when the Bays had a Bye with them playing at MP and Ironbank respectively, but both are back playing at the Bays after just 1 game at those clubs. From what you and Norwood 8 are saying is that he has turned his back on Sturt and headed back to BushPig Park for not very big $$$. Then again maybe he does get paid "peanuts".
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 am

Down the Hill wrote:But aren't Sturt a monty for finals in league and reserves. This is a guy who played league footy as recently as 28 June. Says more about the blokes character than anything else. What are your thoughts about this 85 WAGY particularly being a Falcon, but also a big supporter of the SANFL comp. Is this another nail in the coffin of the relevance and care factor surrounding the SANFL. How would you feel if half the current Glenelg league team decided to jump the sinking ship at the Bay and headed back to their local and South-East clubs to qualify for finals and earn a higher match payment than they would be getting in the SANFL. Those SANFL payments being lower because most SANFL clubs waste the majority of their salary cap on delisted AFL players who don't end up making a major difference.

22 goals kicked at Reynella in the A grade yesterday so conditions couldn't have been too tragic. Did the Shoe's brain trust make too big an issue of conditions which was just the motivation needed for Reynella and also put negative thoughts into the heads of their own players.

The SANFL should not be referred to as League football anymore, as it is now merely an AFL Development League.
It is more an U/23 competition these days anyway but don't be surprised if that becomes a rule in the future so that the Salary Cap can be dropped (perhaps with 6 overage "leadership" players for the non AFL reserves teams). Will only be a few years before it is rebranded AFL South Australia, probably following a bail-out from the AFL once Adelaide Oval does not provide the rivers of gold that were promised, especially now the two AFL clubs are demanding a greater portion. Will have little more relevance than the TAC Cup.

The SANFL is just trying to delay the inevitable by implementing rubbish like individual player salary caps in country football.

It is sad, it was a great competition, but clubs like Flagstaff Hill and those in the Hills and South-East are just helping along the process that will happen anyway. Players like Smith will have no place in the SANFL in a few years time, they will be more valued at those clubs.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL