Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Mister Footy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 pm

Shoes far too good for the Vikings today - yes we played well below our best but I reckon Noarlunga will make the GF without a doubt. Happy Valley better lift next week or they could be out in straight sets
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby King » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:45 am

Mister Footy wrote:Shoes far too good for the Vikings today - yes we played well below our best but I reckon Noarlunga will make the GF without a doubt. Happy Valley better lift next week or they could be out in straight sets

With due respect MF I think the Shoes deserve a bit more respect than, "we played well below our best" . Vikings were never allowed into the game, they were pressured every time they got the ball and were out numbered at most contests. Based on general play I thought the winning margin would have been greater. Agree the Shoes are GF bound and will take a very good and committed team to beat them.
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:26 am

King wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:Shoes far too good for the Vikings today - yes we played well below our best but I reckon Noarlunga will make the GF without a doubt. Happy Valley better lift next week or they could be out in straight sets

With due respect MF I think the Shoes deserve a bit more respect than, "we played well below our best" . Vikings were never allowed into the game, they were pressured every time they got the ball and were out numbered at most contests. Based on general play I thought the winning margin would have been greater. Agree the Shoes are GF bound and will take a very good and committed team to beat them.

Not enough respect for you King?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am

SANFL Finals - 2 A-Grade games at a world class venue = $15

SFL Finals - 1 A-Grade game at a local venue = $10

If this doesn't outline how out of touch the SFL board are with the quality of the league at the moment I don't know what will.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby vics01 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:15 am

7.30 Saturday or Sunday Morning 1 under 14 game mum,dad,brother,grandparents $50 not interest in rest of days footy.. Very expensive.. Even more so if Brother playing 16 next day
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby King » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:21 am

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
King wrote:

Not enough respect for you King?

EV, the world would be a better place with a bit more respect!!!
R .. E .. S .. P .. E .. C .. T (Arthea Franklin 1968).
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:SANFL Finals - 2 A-Grade games at a world class venue = $15

If this doesn't outline how out of touch the SFL board are with the quality of the league at the moment I don't know what will.

Are you talking about the AFL Reserves league?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:40 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:SANFL Finals - 2 A-Grade games at a world class venue = $15

Are you talking about the AFL Reserves league?

No I am talking about the SANFL, if you want to whinge about their current format do it where someone gives a shit.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:16 pm

Great win by Flaggies over Brighton today.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Question for those in the know.

Who controls the decision to take the stretcher onto the ground? Team of player injured, opposition team or hosting team?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:Question for those in the know.

Who controls the decision to take the stretcher onto the ground? Team of player injured, opposition team or hosting team?

A trainer can call a stretcher. However, according to today's game the umpires know better than the trainers if a stretcher is required.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm

A trainer can call a stretcher. However, according to today's game the umpires know better than the trainers if a stretcher is required.

So even an opposition trainer can call a stretcher?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Yes...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I think we saw this today with the Reynella trainer calling a stretcher for the Morphett Vale player in the 18s. Unusual situation, would have been interesting if MV disagreed, not sure there is a rule that defines that.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 pm

No rule but common sense you'd think
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:40 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:No rule but common sense you'd think

Unless used as a tactic to get a good player off the ground for 20 mins, I would have thought a sensible rule would be the players trainers call solely.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Front & Centre » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:11 pm

Well what a big weekend it was in football....
Have to agree with MF that HV played below their best - they played loose unaccountable football. Noarlunga looked impressive and committed. Not giving up on Vikings but they would need to bounce back in a big way to beat the emus on the weekend.

Interested to hear more from LGIL regarding the umpire trainers and the stretcher? What happened here? There was a situation in the HV 18s game yesterday where the umpire didn't see our trainer carrying stretcher despite crowd, runner, players, trainers yelling at them and then didn't stop play straight away - dangerous considering ball was very near our injured player.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:42 pm

Front & Centre wrote:Well what a big weekend it was in football....
Have to agree with MF that HV played below their best - they played loose unaccountable football. Noarlunga looked impressive and committed. Not giving up on Vikings but they would need to bounce back in a big way to beat the emus on the weekend.

Interested to hear more from LGIL regarding the umpire trainers and the stretcher? What happened here? There was a situation in the HV 18s game yesterday where the umpire didn't see our trainer carrying stretcher despite crowd, runner, players, trainers yelling at them and then didn't stop play straight away - dangerous considering ball was very near our injured player.

During the U/16 game, one of the Flagstaff Hill players was down on the far wing and the trainers were tending to him. The play was down at the Northern end at the time and the umpire that was non-officiating/inactive umpire (around the middle of the ground/half forward area) blew his whistle and signalled blood rule. He then changed it to the stretcher signal for the player who was down, at which point one of our trainers ran out to the player with the stretcher. This killed 5 minutes of time with the wind as the trainers helped the player to slowly walk off the field rather than come off on the stretcher (which got the Christies supporters angry), and then the Flaggies officials were informed that the player had to remain off the ground for 20 minutes (which got the Flaggies entourage angry). The whole thing was a farce.

In the U/18 game, one of the Morphett Vale players went down and a stretcher was called which took numerous yelling at the umpires to stop the game. The ball was in the forward 50 for Reynella at the time and they were only 1 point down. The player was going to be put on the stretcher but the Reynella trainer called for an ambulance instead. As there was no time-on in that grade, the siren sounded whilst the ambulance was on the field and Morphett Vale won the game. This renewed calls that time-on should be brought back in for the second half during finals for the grades below A-Grade level.

Only one SFL Board Member was present, would have been interesting had it been a draw, or the Ambulance had been required prior to half-time.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:No rule but common sense you'd think

Unless used as a tactic to get a good player off the ground for 20 mins, I would have thought a sensible rule would be the players trainers call solely.

Never known a side to do that. Strange!!
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 pm

What happened to the old adage that you only play as well as your opposition lets you. Too many HV posters always put a loss down to we played crap rather than giving credit to the opponent. I hear it far too much around my club. There is a thing called pressure and the mistakes caused by that pressure and also what you do when the opposition has the ball which is normally the difference between winning and losing. If our SFL players were perfect at their so called best, they wouldn't be playing at this level.

On to our game today. Flaggies far too good. Got their match ups right and used the ball far better. Smith kicked the first 4 of the game to ensure they took full toll of first use of the breeze and we were playing catch up thereafter. Most impressed with the FH half back line who had a very good understanding and helped each other out when required. Well done to young Heatley who has made the transition from U18 to Senior footy and looks set to carve out a long career at Flaggies like his old man.

The U18 game highlighted some issues with the ever increasing stretcher and ambulance situations. Reynella 1 point down about 3 or 4 minutes into the last qtr but kicking with a 4 goal breeze. MV player goes down, a stretcher gets called but decision is then made to call for an ambulance. No time off so time elapses whilst Ambulance is entering arena. MV win by a point. Both teams and clubs very dignified in how things were handled and the outcome of the match, but surely there has to be some strategy put in place to deal with this scenario so that a finals match can be played to its rightful end.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL