Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Apparently Crate has been told win a final next year or see ya later. Spent big $ on recruits this year and didnt get any closer. Got some juniors coming thru so interesting to see which direction they head.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Apparently Crate has been told win a final next year or see ya later. Spent big $ on recruits this year and didnt get any closer. Got some juniors coming thru so interesting to see which direction they head.

:shock:

I wish we had spent big $ on recruits, we may have got closer
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stampy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Apparently Crate has been told win a final next year or see ya later. Spent big $ on recruits this year and didnt get any closer. Got some juniors coming thru so interesting to see which direction they head.

pfffft! told by who?? hank and the other pissheads up on the hill? stop talking tripe
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 am

stampy wrote:

pfffft! told by who?? hank and the other pissheads up on the hill? stop talking tripe

Ok then your right :roll: it's unlikely anyone will make a hard decision to make the next step!
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Dazza44 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 am

stampy wrote:

Seems to me that I and most rational people I know thought that getting Crate and giving him the coaching job was the smartest decision Christies had made in many years ! He has lifted the team into finals and brought almost universal respect for the team - which hadn't been the case in previous years. Why wouldn't you support him and let him continue the job ?? Big shame if the Christies people don't have the same respect for the man as those outside the club .....
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Leo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
stampy wrote:

Ok then your right :roll: it's unlikely anyone will make a hard decision to make the next step!

If things don't progress as quickly as you like, then the "HARD DECISION" would be to persevere with what the club has started. How do you know another coach could "take the next step"? Every coach does it differently, so bringing someone else in would mean starting all over again. In his 1st 2 years in charge at the Emus, Trevor Potts missed the finals in his first year, and finished 8th (lost the elim) the 2nd year. Building a successful football club is more than just the Win/Loss column. Sounds like your after the "Easy Decision".
Leo
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 am

Dazza44 wrote:
stampy wrote:

Seems to me that I and most rational people I know thought that getting Crate and giving him the coaching job was the smartest decision Christies had made in many years ! He has lifted the team into finals and brought almost universal respect for the team - which hadn't been the case in previous years. Why wouldn't you support him and let him continue the job ?? Big shame if the Christies people don't have the same respect for the man as those outside the club .....

Couldn't agree more. Wasn't long ago that it would be fair to say there wasn't much respect for Christies as a club. Now they are a much stronger playing unit on the field, much more disciplined and the club as a whole seems to be very well run. A lot of that credit also goes to their President, but no doubt the coach is a true 'club coach' and his impact has filtered threough the grades. If Christies were to remove Crate, then all that momentum would be lost.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:24 am

Christies had all 5 Saturday sides in the finals with Bs, 18s and 16s still in for the second week. How often has this happened over last few years? Has Crate has had an impact as a "club coach"? His A grade side a stronger unit in 2014 - with a win over HV to prove it. Big respect earnt at our club from that win.

Have heard good things about their Footy Director and CB are one of those clubs that make the all day Saturday experience a good one - good barby, good facilities and generally a good crowd
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm

afc9798 wrote:
Dazza44 wrote:
stampy wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Wasn't long ago that it would be fair to say there wasn't much respect for Christies as a club. Now they are a much stronger playing unit on the field, much more disciplined and the club as a whole seems to be very well run. A lot of that credit also goes to their President, but no doubt the coach is a true 'club coach' and his impact has filtered threough the grades. If Christies were to remove Crate, then all that momentum would be lost.

Wow! Love this site - well done Keyser Soze, a cheeky post has turned into Christies making hard decisions, soft decisions, sideways decisions, upside down decisions, etc :)

The club has reappointed Paul Crate for another season. Each year under Cratey we have improved on-field (yes we went out in the first week again at A-grade level, but for the first time in 23 years we had all 5 core teams in finals, and the first back-to-back A-grade finals qualification in 20 years), we hope that improvement will continue in 2015.

We are creating a culture where success, not just participation is the goal, Cratey is a key reason for that and as a result the club is keen for him to continue next year. Cratey is also one of our club greats, we have no reason to shaft him. We do not know where we are going to be as a club this time next year, so it is pointless speculating what will happen beyond that, but suggesting that we are going to say "see ya later" based on the outcome of one game is taking things to an extreme.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby MatteeG » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:13 pm

stampy wrote:

FFS....
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Will Edwardstown still be in SFL next year? I have heard a rumour that they will go back to the SAAFL in 2015.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:42 am

With Christies Beach and Brighton being knocked out last week, it looks like all interest in the competition has disappeared. Very quiet on here ;)
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:With Christies Beach and Brighton being knocked out last week, it looks like all interest in the competition has disappeared. Very quiet on here ;)

OK LGIL - I will bite

Here's my tips for the weekend
Happy Valley V Morphett Vale - I hope this is a really tight contest and will be stoked to be proven wrong but I reckon emus will get up although expect to see a different Viking side this weekend. Predict couple player changes.
Port Noarlunga V Flagstaff - Reckon we will see Porties get up but Flaggies should push them and make them earn it

Good luck to all teams. Let's hope the focus is on the footy not on the maroon coats, lost footys, stretchers or price of admission.

Go Vikings
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Plenty of interest LGIL :D

Valleys v Emus- I think Valleys are the better side here, but the Porties oval may suit the emu runners. Valleys by about 4 goals.

Porties v Flaggies- Head says Porties will bounce back- they were in front for a lot of last week and fell just short against another main contender, but the heart says Flaggies will be buoyed by last week's performance and can continue their roll. Flaggies by 2 points. [-o<

Carn you Falcons!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times

Postby King » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:23 pm

I think MV will get over HV on the back of a Bode BOG.

Notice Porties lead to 3/4 time last week and then got overrun. Same thing happened against Flaggies about four weeks ago. Hard to suggest fitness would be an issue at this time of the year but if things are tight at the 3/4 break, Flaggies will have a lot of confidence. Falcons in a close one (albeit biased !!!!).
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm

With Christies having half the side from the Shoe it will be a cracker in the 18 game at Porties :) Go you NORDINGA BOYS
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby mrp2626 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Im going to have to back Flaggies also, they were exceptional last week against our guys. They executed theirs skills very well, and ran hard all day.....I think they will get the chocolates this week, but unfortunately I cant see them beating the shoes.

I will also agree with KING again, I think MV will be too fast on the big oval Vs Valleys. Will be a couple of cracking games though....... What's everyones opininon on the Sunday A Grade Grand final?! I'd like to think our guys will go back to back, but it will be a bit tougher than last year... Here's to a good game on a great weather night! :)
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Front & Centre » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Predictions for the weekend
Emus is a tough, physical battle - heart says I would love to see a Viking win but after our performance last week and their last contest head says Emus
Cockledivers to set aside any doubts about their fitness and lead all game.
Anyone care to predict the Mail Medal - would love to see Jonny get his third !
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Front & Centre wrote:Predictions for the weekend
Emus is a tough, physical battle - heart says I would love to see a Viking win but after our performance last week and their last contest head says Emus
Cockledivers to set aside any doubts about their fitness and lead all game.
Anyone care to predict the Mail Medal - would love to see Jonny get his third !

FC I too am a great fan of Jonny but after watching him perform a couple of Adam Goodes on the wend I am not sure if his best is behind him.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby King » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:11 pm

mrp2626 wrote:Im going to have to back Flaggies also, they were exceptional last week against our guys. They executed theirs skills very well, and ran hard all day.....I think they will get the chocolates this week, but unfortunately I cant see them beating the shoes.

I will also agree with KING again, I think MV will be too fast on the big oval Vs Valleys. Will be a couple of cracking games though....... What's everyones opininon on the Sunday A Grade Grand final?! I'd like to think our guys will go back to back, but it will be a bit tougher than last year... Here's to a good game on a great weather night! :)

I have seen a fair bit of the Sunday A's this year including the last two Sunday finals in which both Cove and BDOS beat Flaggies. Cove were far more impressive and I think they will win easily unless the vagaries of a night final take hold !

Call me old fashioned but the C grade GF on a Saturday night is way beyond my comprehension. The boys play all season on a Sunday arvo and then have to front their biggest match of the year on a Saturday night. Strange ways!!!!!
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL