Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 am

Great weekend of footy if you are a Valley supporter :D 3 teams in the GF is our best effort for 10-15 years I reckon. Solid wins for all teams too.

HVFC also officially on the hunt for a new club coach. Dent has advised club he is moving on - rumoured links to Willunga, Myponga, Colonel Light Gardens, Mclaren Vale. Best of luck to him.

Couple of other things worth bringing up. Emus went into PF weekend with 5 teams but only 1 into GF. Some punches thrown in 18s game yesterday and noticed some Brighton committee members not too happy - care to comment DTH?

Hopeful Jonny can make it 3 in a row tonight.
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Axle Rose » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:49 am

I say well done to the Shoes for just playing great footy. The beef I have is with the League. What is the point of having a points system if it can be changed at a minutes notice.
So, MVille Park were granted extra points a few years ago. On the surface it looked fair enough. The club was struggling, and this gave it a pulse. They surged into a Grand Final with good recruiting. Now here they are, missing the 8, and their B Grade were nothing short of deplorable.
Now we have a team that finished high up last year, granted extra points for fear of them dropping down the ladder in a hurry. They have done exceptionally well with their recruiting and now sit favourite with 1 game to go. They may or may not have used the extra points throughout the season, but that's not the point. The point is that the SFL Board decides how this comp will be run, changing rules when it has little idea of what really is going on inside the walls of a football club, and does it with complete disregard for the clubs it represents.

Good luck to both the Shoes and the Winies on the weekend. They have both played within the rules, even if the rules for some are different for others.
Axle Rose
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby King » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:29 pm

=D> =D>
Axle Rose wrote:I say well done to the Shoes for just playing great footy. The beef I have is with the League. What is the point of having a points system if it can be changed at a minutes notice.
So, MVille Park were granted extra points a few years ago. On the surface it looked fair enough. The club was struggling, and this gave it a pulse. They surged into a Grand Final with good recruiting. Now here they are, missing the 8, and their B Grade were nothing short of deplorable.
Now we have a team that finished high up last year, granted extra points for fear of them dropping down the ladder in a hurry. They have done exceptionally well with their recruiting and now sit favourite with 1 game to go. They may or may not have used the extra points throughout the season, but that's not the point. The point is that the SFL Board decides how this comp will be run, changing rules when it has little idea of what really is going on inside the walls of a football club, and does it with complete disregard for the clubs it represents.

Good luck to both the Shoes and the Winies on the weekend. They have both played within the rules, even if the rules for some are different for others.

=D> =D> =D>
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Saul Abbott B Grade medalist and Shears wins the A grade Mail Medal to make it a Flaggy double, congrats
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Luke15 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:53 pm

Mister Footy wrote:Great weekend of footy if you are a Valley supporter :D 3 teams in the GF is our best effort for 10-15 years I reckon. Solid wins for all teams too.

HVFC also officially on the hunt for a new club coach. Dent has advised club he is moving on - rumoured links to Willunga, Myponga, Colonel Light Gardens, Mclaren Vale. Best of luck to him.

Couple of other things worth bringing up. Emus went into PF weekend with 5 teams but only 1 into GF. Some punches thrown in 18s game yesterday and noticed some Brighton committee members not too happy - care to comment DTH?

Punches Thrown by Christies 18s again. When they are losing this is what they resort. They are an absolute disgrace of a team, coached by an absolute dickhead who condones their behavior. They are a disgrace to their club which is a shame because Paul Crate has worked so hard to build a new and great culture there.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Snaparazzi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 am

Myponga is sticking with status quo. Willunga could be a good fit.

Great effort by the Emus across the board, shows there will be no rebuilding phase required anytime soon. Would be great to have more in the big one, however they were matched up against some quality outfits.

Winners for this week -
14's - Wineys by 3 goal
16's - Emus by 6 goal
18's - Vikings by 8 goal
B's - Falcons by 3 goal
A's - Shoes by 4 goal
Snaparazzi
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby RedArmy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 am

Congratulations to Michael Shearer. 2014 SFL Mail Medalist
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
RedArmy
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am

Dutchy wrote:Saul Abbott B Grade medalist and Shears wins the A grade Mail Medal to make it a Flaggy double, congrats

Been a long time since we had a A or B Grade Mail Medallist- to get 2 in the one season is fantastic. Great effort by both fellas.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:11 am

MatteeG wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Saul Abbott B Grade medalist and Shears wins the A grade Mail Medal to make it a Flaggy double, congrats

Been a long time since we had a A or B Grade Mail Medallist- to get 2 in the one season is fantastic. Great effort by both fellas.

Am I right in saying it is our first Mail Medal?

Shears has had an amazing year, many of the games Ive seen he was clearly BOG, would love to see him and Ty Allen go at it if he plays for the Roos next year, very similar inside mids.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby afc9798 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

Dutchy wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

Shears has had an amazing year, many of the games Ive seen he was clearly BOG, would love to see him and Ty Allen go at it if he plays for the Roos next year, very similar inside mids.

Congrats to both boys, very worthy winners and congrats to Chris Curyer from Valleys on the Under 18's medal, great effort from a first year 18's lad.
Looking forward to seeing 5 great games on Saturday and hopefully 3 Valleys premierships!!
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

afc9798 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

Congrats to both boys, very worthy winners and congrats to Chris Curyer from Valleys on the Under 18's medal, great effort from a first year 18's lad.
Looking forward to seeing 5 great games on Saturday and hopefully 3 Valleys premierships!!

A fantastic effort with young Curyer polling 36 votes :shock:
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby afc9798 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:49 pm

shoe boy wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, there's a bit of J.Eagleton about him.....
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 pm

shoe boy wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

Only Played 13 minor round games too!! (only 3 votes off a perfect score)
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Off The Wall » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

15 minor round games
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Off The Wall wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

15 minor round games

Apologies, my bad

Still impressive tho
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jet-airport » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 pm

Luke15 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:Great weekend of footy if you are a Valley supporter :D 3 teams in the GF is our best effort for 10-15 years I reckon. Solid wins for all teams too.

Punches Thrown by Christies 18s again. When they are losing this is what they resort. They are an absolute disgrace of a team, coached by an absolute dickhead who condones their behavior. They are a disgrace to their club which is a shame because Paul Crate has worked so hard to build a new and great culture there.

Any news on the Brighton lad who copped at least 3-4 punches in the head from my view on the outer :shock: I heard whispers floating around about a fractured cheekbone?? DTH??
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Mister Footy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:53 pm

OK so maybe I'm biased but reckon I am allowed - Curyer a great lad and has had a cracker season. Look forward to seeing him develop into a senior footballer . Strong side this year in the 18s that havent lost a game and thought the votes might have been shared around more.

Reckon it was shock for HV to win club of the year - how is that decided? HV have the most teams in the GF but isnt this award focussed on minor rounds and more about A grade?

Great results for Flaggies - good onya
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Been liked: 28 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Looking forward to going to the GF with a couple of shoe friends. Will be father v son as my son will be there barracking for the Wines. The lad asked who Is go for and said "Mate, if you were playing I'd go for the Winies but as you're not I'm a Shoe boy at heart, go Shoes!"
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Mister Footy wrote:OK so maybe I'm biased but reckon I am allowed - Curyer a great lad and has had a cracker season. Look forward to seeing him develop into a senior footballer . Strong side this year in the 18s that havent lost a game and thought the votes might have been shared around more.

Reckon it was shock for HV to win club of the year - how is that decided? HV have the most teams in the GF but isnt this award focussed on minor rounds and more about A grade?

Great results for Flaggies - good onya

If he is that good why didn't he play up in B or A grade?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:53 pm

jet-airport wrote:
Luke15 wrote:

Any news on the Brighton lad who copped at least 3-4 punches in the head from my view on the outer :shock: I heard whispers floating around about a fractured cheekbone?? DTH??

I will sound like a good politician and won't comment on Sunday's U18 game because the 2 reports are before the tribunal. To set the record straight, the lad with the facial injury was nothing to do with foul play. He copped an accidental point of the shoulder in a contest. There was a lad whose head was used as a speed ball but he is OK.

Well done to Chris Curyer in winning the U18 medal. I've seen him play several times and he is a real goer who plays the game with a passion and pride in the jumper that you love to see in any kid at your club. I would suggest the HV people on here check his total votes with their President or Secretary from the handout clubs received at the end of last night. 36 votes from 15 games is incredible and for what I write next could be inaccurate.

On the slide for the U16 count, the Brighton lad listed as runner up was shown with 29 votes yet he played only 8 games. So it had to be wrong. As it turned out he polled 19 votes which is still very impressive from 8 games but probably not enough to be runner up. And the other 3 Brighton lads listed in the top 10 on the slide all had incorrect votes displayed as to what they actually received. All 4 still polled enough votes to make the TOTY but if the slide was wrong for the 4 Brighton lads then I suspect the whole slide was wrong. So there could have been errors in other grades. I just hope the lad from Aldinga who won the U16 medal was still the correct winner.

But it wouldn't be Mail Medal night without some balls up. Just ask Josh Vick and Andrew Bachmann and Van der Meer from Christies Beach oops I meant Flagstaff Hill. And what about the MC who struggles to pronounce even the simplest of names. I mean how can you pronounce Riddle any other way but he was called Ridley more than once. They thanked the guy at the start of the night who prepares all the slides and presumably gets paid but it seems pretty obvious that it is cobbled together pretty quickly and not even checked by anyone.

The quality and accuracy of the annual Brighton Bombers Presentation Night slideshow runs rings around the SFL slideshow ;)
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL