4th Ashes Test Aust V Eng @ Headingly, Leeds

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

4th Ashes Test Aust V Eng @ Headingly, Leeds

Postby MightyEagles » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm

To state the obvious we really need to win either this or the after, preferably both, to retain the Ashes.

Starts Friday I believe.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Re: 4th Ashes Test Aust V Eng @ Headingly, Leeds

Postby Bulldogs007 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:06 pm

To win this match we really need to bat first and make over 500. and take early wickets in the Poms innings. Johnson to take a big bag this match
Bulldogs007
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby blink » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Bulldogs007 wrote:To win this match we really need to bat first and make over 500. and take early wickets in the Poms innings. Johnson to take a big bag this match

Making over 500 would help, but to win this Test match (and the next) we need to take 20 wickets, which we currently haven't looked like doing at all.

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin (Manou, if Haddin not fit)
Johnson
Lee
Clark
Hilfenhaus

I think Siddle needs to be dropped for Lee - if he is bowling as well as everyone around the Aussie camp said he is, then he need to be included. For the record, I rate Siddle and would rather see him play than Johnson right now, but MJ adds to the team balance with his batting.

Hauritz out too. On a spinning wicket, he is useful to Australia, but on a wicket that is seaming, we need Clark playing. Clarke, North & Katich between them, can provide the overs that Hauritz would have bowled. We have five frontline seamers (if Watson can be called that) if this is the team that is picked and I think it will give us our best chance of taking 20 wickets.

For the record, England have brought Ryan Sidebottom into their squad, which highlights the fact that they think the seaming ball is the best way for them to reclaim the Ashes. Either that or he is cover for Flintoff.
blink
League - Best 21

Postby the joker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Brad Haddin got the keeping gloves on for the first time since injuring his finger yesterday, but he is still strugling to hold a bat, so i would expect Manou to play in the 4th test

and also Micheal Clarke is strugling with a Abdominal strain he picked up while batting on the last day.
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Bulldogs007 wrote:To win this match we really need to bat first and make over 500. and take early wickets in the Poms innings. Johnson to take a big bag this match

I think if we score more runs than them and bowl them out twice, we'll win.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby blink » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:27 pm

the joker wrote:Brad Haddin got the keeping gloves on for the first time since injuring his finger yesterday, but he is still strugling to hold a bat, so i would expect Manou to play in the 4th test

and also Micheal Clarke is strugling with a Abdominal strain he picked up while batting on the last day.

All signs point to Clarke being fit for this Test, but lets say for arguments sake that he isn't, what would the selectors do then??

I think their only option would be to recall Hughes and play Watson at 5?
blink
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 pm

the joker wrote:Brad Haddin got the keeping gloves on for the first time since injuring his finger yesterday, but he is still strugling to hold a bat, so i would expect Manou to play in the 4th test

Surely he could manage that, well I hope so, we need him, he'll just have to take his pull shot out of his game and concentrate on his driving, it wouldn't hurt, he's one of the best in the business at it and pulling can get him out at times.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm

blink wrote:

All signs point to Clarke being fit for this Test, but lets say for arguments sake that he isn't, what would the selectors do then??

I think their only option would be to recall Hughes and play Watson at 5?

I wouldn't be moving Watson anywhere atm, 2 good knocks as an opener, his confidence would be booming.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mal » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 pm

I will preview the 4th Test later
Today is the sad anniversary of the death of Marliyn Monroe in August 1962
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 pm

blink wrote:
For the record, England have brought Ryan Sidebottom into their squad, which highlights the fact that they think the seaming ball is the best way for them to reclaim the Ashes. Either that or he is cover for Flintoff.

Flintoff was moving around like a ninety year old after his bowling stint on day 5, I'm certain they'll rest him given such a small break betwen tests, surely playing them with no Pietersen or Flintoff we'd have to give them a fair flogging.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby blink » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 pm

mal wrote:I will preview the 4th Test later

Who is he?
blink
League - Best 21

Postby the joker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 pm

this is quite funny, i cant imagine James Sutherland asking the Australian public to stop booing a cricketer from another country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... -fans.html
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby rod_rooster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:59 pm

the joker wrote:this is quite funny, i cant imagine James Sutherland asking the Australian public to stop booing a cricketer from another country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... -fans.html

LMAO :lol: It seems the Poms actually think they get to him. As if the crowd booing Ponting affects his performance :roll: Seriously he has copped much worse from media in his own country than any opposition supporters could dish out yet he still performs.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
blink wrote:

Flintoff was moving around like a ninety year old after his bowling stint on day 5, I'm certain they'll rest him given such a small break betwen tests, surely playing them with no Pietersen or Flintoff we'd have to give them a fair flogging.

Dean Jones (yes I know) was on with Rowey and Cornesy just prior to the final days play, and he sounded very genuine with his doubts of Freddy being able to butter up for this test.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby spell_check » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 pm

blink wrote:
mal wrote:I will preview the 4th Test later

Who is he?

West Indian fast bowler; mentor to the likes of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith. ;)
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby haloman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 pm

So then to our bowling..................how the hell do we get 20 wickets in a test that looks like it might be rain effected again. Lee and S.Clarke MUST come in surely. Hauritz unlucky but must go out. Siddle to have the game off too. Can anyone tell me why the Kat hasn't bowled more in this series? He'd probably go for 6 an over but he might just pick up the odd wicket or two along the way. Surely he's a better option with the ball than North.........IMHO
Choco Williams Lives!!! We have seen the REVOLUTION come and go. You have "LIVED THE CREED". All you Power people are now gonna have to "KEEP THE FAITH". Slogan for 2010-11 PAFC.....or is it PAPFC.......I never get it right.
haloman
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby cyclops » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:03 pm

haloman wrote:So then to our bowling..................how the hell do we get 20 wickets in a test that looks like it might be rain effected again. Lee and S.Clarke MUST come in surely. Hauritz unlucky but must go out. Siddle to have the game off too. Can anyone tell me why the Kat hasn't bowled more in this series? He'd probably go for 6 an over but he might just pick up the odd wicket or two along the way. Surely he's a better option with the ball than North.........IMHO

agree with everything u have mentioned,this lak of bowling for katich has been going on for probably a year or so now and nothing ever gets said by ponting,i can only assume maybe he has a problem,but who knows.
cyclops

Postby NFC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Scary to think that if we lose one of the next two matches we lose the Ashes. :shock:

Clark for Siddle
Haddin for Manou (did well tho)
NFC
Coach

Postby cyclops » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:32 pm

i really have a feeling that lee will play in the 4th test.
cyclops

Postby CoverKing » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

cyclops wrote:i really have a feeling that lee will play in the 4th test.

so do i cyclops. I think watson's comments were pretty well made up before his interview. Giving them no idea if brett lee is playing or not. He stated he needs a match under his belt before being ready for selection. I think Lee will play.
There is also whispers Johnson will be dropped but i find this highly unlikely. For me, it will be clark and lee in for siddle and hauritz (very unlucky, horses for courses tho).
If clarke doesnt play, will they go hughes and play watson in the middle order, or will they go manou and haddin, with haddin just batting at 6 and north moving to 4?
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket