Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby The Angry Bull » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:07 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:TTG v Uni T20 final to be held at Pertaringa on the 31st of January starting at 3pm.

Should be a great game with some quality quicks and clean hitters of the ball strutting their stuff.

Stumps wrote:shame at perti
should be a neutral ground - Adelaide oval ideally

Great to play on Adelaide Oval of course but I think these games are actually better played at club grounds. It's a great atmosphere at Pertaringa even if there's only a 'crowd' of 200 there.

Will probably get more than that too, their club seems to support these events really well.

I wonder if Travis Head and all the state boys will be allowed to play? There is a Shield game starting on Feb 3. Would be great to have Head, Cooper, Mennie all playing. Perhaps Mennie won't be as the Redbacks would be cotton-wooling their quicks with Richardson and Sayers getting a taste higher up but you'd hope the batters would play.

I can safely say, after experiencing finals on both AO and Perti, that playing finals at a local ground has a far greater atmosphere than AO. Its also a worthy reward for finishing higher than your opponent. As for crowd numbers and basic facilities for the spectators, it is hard to go past Perti as a venue. The club works tirelessly in its organization of the evening.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby jo172 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:08 am

Presumably Head will still be with the national team?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:17 am

The Angry Bull wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:TTG v Uni T20 final to be held at Pertaringa on the 31st of January starting at 3pm.

Should be a great game with some quality quicks and clean hitters of the ball strutting their stuff.

Stumps wrote:shame at perti
should be a neutral ground - Adelaide oval ideally

Great to play on Adelaide Oval of course but I think these games are actually better played at club grounds. It's a great atmosphere at Pertaringa even if there's only a 'crowd' of 200 there.

Will probably get more than that too, their club seems to support these events really well.

I wonder if Travis Head and all the state boys will be allowed to play? There is a Shield game starting on Feb 3. Would be great to have Head, Cooper, Mennie all playing. Perhaps Mennie won't be as the Redbacks would be cotton-wooling their quicks with Richardson and Sayers getting a taste higher up but you'd hope the batters would play.

I can safely say, after experiencing finals on both AO and Perti, that playing finals at a local ground has a far greater atmosphere than AO. Its also a worthy reward for finishing higher than your opponent. As for crowd numbers and basic facilities for the spectators, it is hard to go past Perti as a venue. The club works tirelessly in its organization of the evening.

Can't we use the Cricket Australia excuse that it's too far to travel ;) at least Adelaide Oval is central[emoji38]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm

I went to Bailey Reserve yesterday for a women's match, it was a pretty disappointing set up, no scorers table, nothing open and toilets were a fair hike, I hope it's better on Saturday's for the mens.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7935 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I went to Bailey Reserve yesterday for a women's match, it was a pretty disappointing set up, no scorers table, nothing open and toilets were a fair hike, I hope it's better on Saturday's for the mens.

Kids play there so I doubt it. No senior men's matches have been played there since the of end 1994/95 when Adelaide moved down the road to Glandore.

Doesn't look like much has changed over the years for the Women playing at Bailey.
heater31

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:06 pm

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I went to Bailey Reserve yesterday for a women's match, it was a pretty disappointing set up, no scorers table, nothing open and toilets were a fair hike, I hope it's better on Saturday's for the mens.

Kids play there so I doubt it. No senior men's matches have been played there since the of end 1994/95 when Adelaide moved down the road to Glandore.

Doesn't look like much has changed over the years for the Women playing at Bailey.

Oh, that explains it then, I played a match there around the early 90's and remembered it as a nice place to play.

All bullshit aside though, most of the women's grounds have very limited facilities, I hate having to score with no table though.

#firstworldproblems
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Those fields at St Mary's the women use are shithouse too. No tables, chairs, shade on the top oval, have to collect a key during the week which is a pain.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Those fields at St Mary's the women use are shithouse too. No tables, chairs, shade on the top oval, have to collect a key during the week which is a pain.

And that is just when you get out of the car......wait for the pitch inspection ;)

*are the decks still shite?
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:54 pm

I think SACA prepares them now so the decks are alright.

Saving grace!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:42 am

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Those fields at St Mary's the women use are shithouse too. No tables, chairs, shade on the top oval, have to collect a key during the week which is a pain.

And that is just when you get out of the car......wait for the pitch inspection ;)

*are the decks still shite?

Bailey Reserve was green as but played very true, the outfield was very lush and slow.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:08 am

Should blokes in their 50s still be playing at Grade clubs especially when more than 1 17-19 year old lads aren't being selected? I thought the idea of grade clubs was to feed the state cricket side and not feed egos of old blokes.....
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:12 am

Arch44 wrote:Should blokes in their 50s still be playing at Grade clubs especially when more than 1 17-19 year old lads aren't being selected? I thought the idea of grade clubs was to feed the state cricket side and not feed egos of old blokes.....

Depends on team balance are they there to provide leadership?

Anyway looks like it's going to be a weather affected round again this week.

Anymore rain and the uncovered wickets are in serious danger.
heater31

Postby Arch44 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 am

heater31 wrote:
Arch44 wrote:Should blokes in their 50s still be playing at Grade clubs especially when more than 1 17-19 year old lads aren't being selected? I thought the idea of grade clubs was to feed the state cricket side and not feed egos of old blokes.....

Batting at 9 with an ave of 4 has no affect on team balance and if they are legit about providing leadership it can be done from the sidelines as a mentor surely.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 am

Arch44 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Batting at 9 with an ave of 4 has no affect on team balance and if they are legit about providing leadership it can be done from the sidelines as a mentor surely.

Yep that is the quickest way to lose kids from your club. More often than not they do not drift to a community club either.
heater31

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:40 am

heater31 wrote:

Update doesn't look promising....severe weather warning issued for Adelaide Metro area :(
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Arch44 wrote:Should blokes in their 50s still be playing at Grade clubs especially when more than 1 17-19 year old lads aren't being selected? I thought the idea of grade tclubs was to feed the state cricket side and not feed egos of old blokes.....

50's?

Unless it's an ex-State cricketer running around surely the grade club would be better off pushing that bloke out and promoting a kid, even if it's an U/16. As said, the old stager could provide off field support for a young captain which would be valuable.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Absolutely pissing down and looks like it will be for hours

Monsoon season! Bit of a shame as I think all Redbacks players are meant to be in action tomorrow, for the last time this season.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Absolutely pissing down and looks like it will be for hours

Monsoon season! Bit of a shame as I think all Redbacks players are meant to be in action tomorrow, for the last time this season.

Wish SACA would just make the call now, make all games a one day game next week.

The same thing happened last year, and one match got started and played about 30 overs (at Glandore), then the following week all games had to be played still as two day games under SACA rules, meaning unless teams have pre arranged deals, results are unlikely.

Save driving all the way out to TTG tomorrow for nothing also!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:28 pm

A/B Grade games would be a chance to get away. Most clubs have pretty good covers now. Below that... rain card!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:A/B Grade games would be a chance to get away. Most clubs have pretty good covers now. Below that... rain card!

Problem is not just the pitch, but the run ups for fast bowlers. Even Henley Oval last week they were not great, and our oval is normally rock hard. With more rain expected, will be one of those days tomorrow sitting around a lot!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps