Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lame Choice » Thu May 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Nice two page spread in the SACA stumps mag on AUCC. Great PR for the club on the back of SACA media. No mention of the back room deals with Council and SACA about shafting western suburbs with new grounds to effectively force mergers to make it fit. The stench is getting stronger.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Lame Choice wrote:Nice two page spread in the SACA stumps mag on AUCC. Great PR for the club on the back of SACA media. No mention of the back room deals with Council and SACA about shafting western suburbs with new grounds to effectively force mergers to make it fit. The stench is getting stronger.

I guess we will find out if your allegation is correct on November 30.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lame Choice » Thu May 19, 2016 10:09 pm

heater31 wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:Nice two page spread in the SACA stumps mag on AUCC. Great PR for the club on the back of SACA media. No mention of the back room deals with Council and SACA about shafting western suburbs with new grounds to effectively force mergers to make it fit. The stench is getting stronger.

Or the people who sat down to road map grade cricket could come clean on what the end goal is (and what report/advice they are acting on). Maybe this is just a string of poor decisions based on the last one. I dunno, and like most people, would like some clarity to it all.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 19, 2016 11:34 pm

Is it really the Port Adelaide team in the photo?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 19, 2016 11:35 pm

heater31 wrote:

What's November 30? Is that when the Parliamentary inquiry is due?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:36 pm

heater31 wrote:

Seeing the Parliamentry Enquiry results are due Nov 30, can SACA please do the right thing for once and tell both Clubs ASAP that they will be in the comp for next year at least, so the players know where they are playing and can get on with planning for this season. Think that's the least they can do!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby oyster » Thu May 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Seeing the Parliamentry Enquiry results are due Nov 30, can SACA please do the right thing for once and tell both Clubs ASAP that they will be in the comp for next year at least, so the players know where they are playing and can get on with planning for this season. Think that's the least they can do!

No real choice have they. There is also the other action taking place from both clubs, that we can't talk about which might force the SACA into having both clubs for next season at the very least. Once the parliamentary enquiry comes back, I'm in no doubt that both clubs will have won the battle.
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:48 pm

heater31 wrote:How does it not concern Adelaide? You lot have continually slandered the Club and insinuated that they received preferential treatment from a SACA Staff member. Far as I can see it does concern ACC........ Our club accreditation is far from perfect but it does score very well after sailing pretty close to the wind for a couple of years things are on the improve and with a bit of luck perhaps the successes of the early 2000's will return unlike your flash in the pan success 1 time in the last 50 seasons.

Mean while you wonder why your club is getting singled out? How about stop poaching other club's juniors to prop up your First Grade Team and heck while you are at it get a full compliment of junior sides as it stands presently as all the other clubs currently fulfill......

Heater, I wish you would stick to facts. You normally do. West Torrens was the only club last season that was fully home-grown (apart from 1 interstate player). All other players who played A Grade had come up through West Torrens juniors. Unfortunately no other club, including Adelaide, can say the same thing. Hence, I have no idea why you are picking on West Torrens re this.

As for junior sides, West Torrens actually have more teams in SACA-run competitions than any other team, having also an Under 12 team in a SACA comp.

Re success, West Torrens have played in 13 Grand Finals in the past 50 years (the period you are talking of), have won numerous Club Championships, had five players selected in the same shield match (a SACA record) and won many junior premierships.

If the only criteria for success in your eyes is winning the A Grade premiership, then unfortunately your life, when it comes to cricket, must be a pretty unsuccessful one. (as would the life of all if they applied your criteria)

Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud2 on Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:

Is it really the Port Adelaide team in the photo?

University are black and white with a white cap if I'm not mistaken....photo is black and white with a black cap!
heater31

Postby C Horse » Fri May 20, 2016 8:26 am

Before I start here, this is not meant to stir up sh*t, nor is it an attack on the WT people that post on these boards.

Having read that SACA 'article' (press release, whatever it is) it's pretty clear to me what is going to happen.
According to SACA, merger has been on West Torrens radar since Nov. 2014. (believe what you will)
All along this process, West Torrens have consistently advised that they would be willing to consider a merger (true).
Merger talks were held between Woodville & West Torrens (true) but did not progress.
Clubs presented their case on 29 Feb. Following this they had to state their formal position to SACA by a date in March.
Woodville - advised they wanted to stand alone (true). They are.
Port - advised they wanted to stand alone (true).
West Torrens - advised they would consider a merger (true).

Given WT have led with merger essentially the whole time, how can they now make so much noise about having to merge??
For those who have seen the series Little Britain, the Eagles are doing their best "only gay in the village" impersonation.

The last official word from SACA to WT and PA (as I understand it) is that they had to agree to merge for the 2017/18 season (that's the one after next) by June 6 (or 8?) or one of them would be removed from the First Grade competition for 2016/17 (not the entire SACA comp, just the Men's First Grade).

A parliamentary enquiry has been established to look into SACA's conduct over the whole process.
There has been mention of racism on these boards.
I sincerely hope that "eligible male" isn't the "racist" term referred to - because that's got no legs.
Note that the establishment of a parliamentary enquiry does not preclude SACA from continuing on.

Prediction time.
Not saying this is fair, or just, or whatever - but I am saying this is what I think will happen.

June 6 - WT & PA do not come to an agreement to merge for 2017/18 (WT at least believing that the parliamentary enquiry will save them??)
June - SACA announce that WT will not be invited to field a team in the First Grade comp for 2016/17. They can field 2nd,3rd,4th grade men, women's and juniors as before.
November 30 (post season start) - parliamentary enquiry finds no wrongdoing by SACA. Too little too late I'm afraid.

SACA (surprisingly) haven't fired any blanks yet and I can't see them doing so from here. Their press release certainly puts their cards on the table and I don't think they fear the enquiry anywhere near as much as some people on here think.

For West Torrens, unfortunately - their management and approach to this whole situation has been flawed from the start. While Port Adelaide were loud in not wanting to merge, Torrens were not - in fact, created the impression around the place that they were "desperate" to merge.

Let's see what happens but I think those who are of the opinion that the parliamentary enquiry will stop SACA in it's tracks are sadly misled.
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri May 20, 2016 8:52 am

Lots of clubs have had "just in case" preliminary merger talks

SACA can't put out a report recommending 5-6 mergers then use it against clubs if they start on some sort of contingency plan.

No club would willingly choose to merge. This is why SACA commissioned the Zadow Report I'm sure - to get the ball rolling.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:21 am

C Horse wrote:Before I start here, this is not meant to stir up sh*t, nor is it an attack on the WT people that post on these boards.

Having read that SACA 'article' (press release, whatever it is) it's pretty clear to me what is going to happen.
According to SACA, merger has been on West Torrens radar since Nov. 2014. (believe what you will)
All along this process, West Torrens have consistently advised that they would be willing to consider a merger (true).
Merger talks were held between Woodville & West Torrens (true) but did not progress.
Clubs presented their case on 29 Feb. Following this they had to state their formal position to SACA by a date in March.
Woodville - advised they wanted to stand alone (true). They are.
Port - advised they wanted to stand alone (true).
West Torrens - advised they would consider a merger (true).

Given WT have led with merger essentially the whole time, how can they now make so much noise about having to merge??
For those who have seen the series Little Britain, the Eagles are doing their best "only gay in the village" impersonation.

The last official word from SACA to WT and PA (as I understand it) is that they had to agree to merge for the 2017/18 season (that's the one after next) by June 6 (or 8?) or one of them would be removed from the First Grade competition for 2016/17 (not the entire SACA comp, just the Men's First Grade).

A parliamentary enquiry has been established to look into SACA's conduct over the whole process.
There has been mention of racism on these boards.
I sincerely hope that "eligible male" isn't the "racist" term referred to - because that's got no legs.
Note that the establishment of a parliamentary enquiry does not preclude SACA from continuing on.

Prediction time.
Not saying this is fair, or just, or whatever - but I am saying this is what I think will happen.

June 6 - WT & PA do not come to an agreement to merge for 2017/18 (WT at least believing that the parliamentary enquiry will save them??)
June - SACA announce that WT will not be invited to field a team in the First Grade comp for 2016/17. They can field 2nd,3rd,4th grade men, women's and juniors as before.
November 30 (post season start) - parliamentary enquiry finds no wrongdoing by SACA. Too little too late I'm afraid.

SACA (surprisingly) haven't fired any blanks yet and I can't see them doing so from here. Their press release certainly puts their cards on the table and I don't think they fear the enquiry anywhere near as much as some people on here think.

For West Torrens, unfortunately - their management and approach to this whole situation has been flawed from the start. While Port Adelaide were loud in not wanting to merge, Torrens were not - in fact, created the impression around the place that they were "desperate" to merge.

Let's see what happens but I think those who are of the opinion that the parliamentary enquiry will stop SACA in it's tracks are sadly misled.

C. Horse, West Torrens have always had continual existence on our own as our number one goal. The only reason why we would consider a merger is so that we would still have some form of existence. We would rather merge than die completely. If there is any club out there that would take a different stance, I would be stunned. At the eleventh hour, if Port Adelaide were told that their only choice was to merge or die, I am sure they would choose the merger option. This would only be after every conceivable attempt has been made to try to exist on their own. West Torrens is basically taking the same stance. We have just been pro-active in considering a merger option if that is the only way we can exist.
I repeat, our prime objective is to stay as a separate club. We also believe our record should enable us to do such.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 am

Did West Torrens hold a members forum to gauge the feeling within the membership base?

At Adelaide we did hold such an event in which the board did not reveal who we had spoken to (we later found out our 'confidential' discussion was outed by Adelaide University in a Press Release), some assumed it was Sturt as per the Zadow Report. The overwhelming response was to not actively seek a merger with any club. We then immediately ceased discussions with Adelaide University.

By communicating that West Torrens would 'consider' a merger seems to have painted themselves into a corner. Hopefully by your in words BP2 it was worded as such the first preference to Stand alone not just West Torrens would 'consider' a merger.
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:30 pm

C Horse, you are so wrong on so many points, but that will all come out in the PE.

That document put out by SACA has more holes than swiss cheese, again, that will all come out in the PE.

SACA are not telling the truth claiming we agreed to merge, this is totally false. All correspondence to them has started with "Our preferred preference is to remain as a stand alone club, etc, etc".

As Bulldogproud said, we would not be doing our Members justice if we totally dismissed it and our Club was gone forever, especially when talk was going to 10 Teams. If that was definitely going to happen, then common sense says West Torrens and Woodville would be an appropriate merge like Football.

Tony Clifton is right - Clubs need to have plans as talk of mergers by SACA were occurring. That's all our Board did. The criticism of them by C Horse is totally not warranted. I think the PE will make a difference, and going by the mis truths put out by SACA, they are really worried about it!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Is it true that the person coordinating grade cricket resigned?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 20, 2016 11:15 pm

So what happens if as expected SACA push on and there is no merger happening and WT find themselves in B Grade what will be the point of the parliamentary enquiry? I dare say there is no coming back from there given all their A Graders will move on. Is that a risk WT are prepared to take?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby heater31 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:18 pm

daysofourlives wrote:So what happens if as expected SACA push on and there is no merger happening and WT find themselves in B Grade what will be the point of the parliamentary enquiry? I dare say there is no coming back from there given all their A Graders will move on. Is that a risk WT are prepared to take?

Or Port Adelaide........

I'm expecting these sorts of questions to be answered after the 30th of May when the SACA board next meet......
heater31

Postby oyster » Fri May 20, 2016 11:20 pm

daysofourlives wrote:So what happens if as expected SACA push on and there is no merger happening and WT find themselves in B Grade what will be the point of the parliamentary enquiry? I dare say there is no coming back from there given all their A Graders will move on. Is that a risk WT are prepared to take?

I think you'll find both clubs have "other avenues of appeal" well before the parliamentary enquiry concludes on November 30th, which could well take a fair while to resolve.
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Aerie » Sat May 21, 2016 9:46 am

With the way the SACA has worked this whole thing (I.e. Unprofessionally, unfairly with bully tactics) heater and c horse do have a point that by West Torrens leaving open the option of considering merger talks, they have put their hand up as a target by SACA.

However, what choice did they have and would it make a difference?

Originally after the Zadow Report, it was due diligence to explore given 8 of 13 clubs were put in the firing line to reduce to a ten team comp.

WT didn't want to merge. Our junior program was producing 1st Grade cricketers with a production line in progress from local talent and country zone. Our arrangements and relationship with Henley FC was/is positive with us being able to control our own bar/canteen. We were making small profit on the back of great volunteers and an engaged playing group. We made finals in 14/15. We were rebuilding from a decade where we won 4 Club Championships and could/should have won a couple more 1st Grade premierships - we lost a bunch of quality and experience in a short space of time. We did play in the GF of both comps and won club champ only 5 years ago in 11/12.

However, if a revolution of Grade cricket was going to happen, WT were not going to miss out on funding and the possibility of forming a super club with Woodville with all the $$ SACA were fishing with. So while preference was to stand alone, official stance was to consider a merger. To me, this is wise management at a time when SACA were still deciding what they'd do.

To SACA's detriment, they didn't offer a concrete offer until well after the bomb they dropped on WT/PA/Wood. This wasn't appealing to Woodville so SACA have followed mistake after mistake and now it gets to this.

There were whispers WT was in firing line at the beginning of the process and then the Uni ovals at West Beach became public knowledge. A spanner in the works. Any good faith left completely out the window.

SACA could have chopped out a club by now and it could have been WT. For no good reason mind you. At least as it stands we're still in with a chance. Metaphorically speaking, we've taken a few quick wickets after Tea after a long first couple of sessions in the field in 40 degree heat.

After 159 years, a strong recent record and plenty to look forward to in the future, we're still in with a chance.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby oldeagle » Sat May 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Having read the unique 2 page spread appreciation of a local club, with a photo of another club, in the annual SACA Member's publication, I suspect SACA are going to try to take the high moral ground, to run Adelaide Uni provide a pathway for non traditional participants to appease Cricket Australia a la Afl's grab at Western Sydney.

I don't know what the Cricket Australia accreditation process was. Were there any "how many non traditional participants do you have involved" questions asked?
oldeagle
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps