JUNIOR FOOTBALL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

Postby shoe boy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Speccy02 wrote:Yeah Dutchy, should be another good year. Looking at the U/12's groups, the white group has 11 teams entered with dual sides from valley, wineys and bombers so effectively 8 clubs, the maroon group has 14 teams with no double sides, perhaps this could've been been looked at a little closer, nothing major just an observation.

There was an explanation about this but cannot remember why. Also looks like there will be some Friday night games this year.

Noarlunga will be involved in some fri night footy also.
Look forward to Sunday
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Moe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Moe is Coaching Morphy Parks Under 8's again.
32 kids out, madness.
Does anyone know when or if the 9 a side Friday night under 8 comp kicks off?
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby norwood8 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Getting involved with junior footy for the first time, really looking forward to it. Nothing beats seeing kids enjoy, improve and develop through our great game. Bring on Sunday mornings.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby marbles » Tue May 06, 2014 10:48 am

watching the U12s div2 (maroon league) i find that them using the whole oval is a little bit to big to keep the little tackers in the match?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:22 am

marbles wrote:watching the U12s div2 (maroon league) i find that them using the whole oval is a little bit to big to keep the little tackers in the match?

Seen an under 10 game with a 3/4 oval? Basically a rolling maul unless you have an umpire they pays regular free kicks to spread it out.

Playing on a full oval does seem big at u10/12 level but it keeps the game more open and flowing than reducing the size IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Turbo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
marbles wrote:watching the U12s div2 (maroon league) i find that them using the whole oval is a little bit to big to keep the little tackers in the match?

Seen an under 10 game with a 3/4 oval? Basically a rolling maul unless you have an umpire they pays regular free kicks to spread it out.

Playing on a full oval does seem big at u10/12 level but it keeps the game more open and flowing than reducing the size IMO.

At Cove we prefer the u10's to play on full size to open the game up but negotiate with the opposition with what they'd prefer
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Turbo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

At Cove we prefer the u10's to play on full size to open the game up but negotiate with the opposition with what they'd prefer

At Cove, full size would be about 3/4 :)
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby marbles » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 pm

from the outside the kids look bored waiting 5 minutes at time for ball to come down

figure theyd rather be on xbox

but nup no mention of it, when he comes off the field :partyman:

guess being in a match is being in the zone!!

just as a spectator worried he'd lose interest but guess not :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Cove is perfect size for u10/12 footy, we played full oval at the Shoes and the game flowed well.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby marbles » Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 am

is it true the rounds after the next are undecided in juniors footy ie U12s maroon

need to know when byes are
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 am

marbles wrote:is it true the rounds after the next are undecided in juniors footy ie U12s maroon

need to know when byes are

no draw released after this week as yet, I think the Maroon group have an even number of teams so no byes, except June Long weekend.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby marbles » Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am

marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Moe » Wed May 07, 2014 12:43 pm

The rules state that Under 10 football oval size should be approx. 120 metres x 90 metres.
This is perfect.
Regardless of whether the coaches agree to play full size or not, I think these measurements should be adhered to for the kids sake.
Remember coaches, it is about the kids, not your personal thoughts.

Well done to the players and coaches of Brighton Under 8's who played against Morphy Parks last Sunday.
Not a hint of aggression from parents and players played with enthusiasm and my kids loved it. (Even if we didn't score). Which apparently we don't keep anyway.
I have always wondered though why Brighton parents are the only ones who stand on the other side of the oval.
Moe
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Moe wrote:The rules state that Under 10 football oval size should be approx. 120 metres x 90 metres.
This is perfect.
Regardless of whether the coaches agree to play full size or not, I think these measurements should be adhered to for the kids sake.

Well done to the players and coaches of Brighton Under 8's who played against Morphy Parks last Sunday.
Not a hint of aggression from parents and players played with enthusiasm and my kids loved it. (Even if we didn't score). Which apparently we don't keep anyway.
I have always wondered though why Brighton parents are the only ones who stand on the other side of the oval.

Patronising comments like this give me the sh**s

Seems to be the quality of debate we hear from the SFL Junior Committee and the AFL these days. Meaningless tripe along the lines of "we know best so this is how you are instructed to think and behave". People volunteer their time at the coalface, in the majority of cases they are more qualified than most to give their opinion. They do not deserve to be ridiculed because they are "less educated" than some self-important soles.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Moe wrote:The rules state that Under 10 football oval size should be approx. 120 metres x 90 metres.
This is perfect.

Why is a small oval better for the kids? As I said the game becomes more congested which means more tackling/bumping/mauls, the bigger oval allows players to be spread out and the game to flow which is more enjoyment for the kids. Ask the kids what they would prefer.

Another plus for playing the whole oval is teaching the kids positioning, which helps when you have the lines to work with, with a 3/4 oval kids get lost and drawn to the ball which makes it worse.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
This is perfect.

Why is a small oval better for the kids? As I said the game becomes more congested which means more tackling/bumping/mauls, the bigger oval allows players to be spread out and the game to flow which is more enjoyment for the kids. Ask the kids what they would prefer.

Another plus for playing the whole oval is teaching the kids positioning, which helps when you have the lines to work with, with a 3/4 oval kids get lost and drawn to the ball which makes it worse.

I used to hate playing on a reduced sized oval as kid. With my old boy as the coach he had the opinion to lean towards the full size depending on weather conditions. He had one opposition team use it as a tactical weapon against us to stop our flowing style of play (we won the flag that year losing only a couple of games). This was a small country league that had kids from 6 years old to 12! Our umpire used to hold up games if it got too congested and send kids back to their positions. It was hilarious seeing kids Sprint back as we didn't have time on!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed May 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:
This is perfect.

The SFL has set oval sizes for under 10's, the problem I feel arises is that the co-ordinators (already burdened with numerous tasks) for most clubs anyway dont bother adhering to these size regulations because it means measuring out the oval for one game only then under 12's, 14's and 16's that follow use the full oval.

If clubs measured out the oval including the centre square which some clubs do, this would alleviate the problem some what. Full oval in under 10's at Cove, MVP or Brighton might be ok but what about Bice oval, Marion or Happy Valley. This only results in a few goals being kicked for the whole match.

As for the rules I think they work fine and cater for all skill levels especially in under 8's however I think the kids should be encouraged to smother the ball as a way to get the ball off the opposition with no tackling or knocking the ball from there hands.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed May 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:If clubs measured out the oval including the centre square which some clubs do, this would alleviate the problem some what. Full oval in under 10's at Cove, MVP or Brighton might be ok but what about Bice oval, Marion or Happy Valley. This only results in a few goals being kicked for the whole match.

this shouldn't matter as we aren't meant to keep scores for kids anyway.... :roll:
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Moe » Wed May 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
This is perfect.

Seems to be the quality of debate we hear from the SFL Junior Committee and the AFL these days. Meaningless tripe along the lines of "we know best so this is how you are instructed to think and behave". People volunteer their time at the coalface, in the majority of cases they are more qualified than most to give their opinion. They do not deserve to be ridiculed because they are "less educated" than some self-important soles.

Yep, and i am one of those volunteers who measure out the oval at 8am on a sunday morning. I stick to what size i am told for the simple reason the kids will be or are supposed to be, playing on the same size oval every week.
If that is patronising to you, who gives a $$$$.
Moe
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Moe wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
This is perfect.

Yep, and i am one of those volunteers who measure out the oval at 8am on a sunday morning. I stick to what size i am told for the simple reason the kids will be or are supposed to be, playing on the same size oval every week.
If that is patronising to you, who gives a $$$$.

Good for you.

I am sorry that there are people here who have opinions, opinions that may happen to disagree with the size of the oval.

According to you, these opinions are not to be had because 'it is about the kids, not your personal thoughts', even if those thoughts/opinions are motivated by what is best for the kids.

I think most clubs are following the rules in place, but they are allowed to disagree with those rules, as much as you are allowed to blindly support those rules if that is what you wish.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL