JUNIOR FOOTBALL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

Postby heater31 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 pm

MatteeG wrote:So I also assume there will be no carnival for 8s and 10s next year?

Without scores how will it run?

Just play 3 games and every kid gets a participation certificate.... :roll: ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
According to the AFL and some academic from Flinders Uni, this concept is detrimental to their development.

.....who have no problem grading assignments/exams? Hey if I just have to participate to get a BMBS, sign me up.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby MatteeG » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 pm

heater31 wrote:
Just play 3 games and every kid gets a participation certificate.... :roll: ;)

Sweet. Just forfeit all games, grab the certificates and take the team to maccas. 8)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:49 pm

MatteeG wrote:So I also assume there will be no carnival for 8s and 10s next year?

Without scores how will it run?

They will run it as a series of lanework exercises, that way they make sure every child gets to touch and kick the ball the same number of times.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I dont think they even know how it will run next year, but they have officially said no medals or shields. They did give out a participation pennant to all the kids this year which actually looks pretty good and the kids liked it.

Considering there will be 40+ Under 8 teams next year with the change to 12 a side it will be a logistical nightmare
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby Turbo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:I dont think they even know how it will run next year, but they have officially said no medals or shields. They did give out a participation pennant to all the kids this year which actually looks pretty good and the kids liked it.

Considering there will be 40+ Under 8 teams next year with the change to 12 a side it will be a logistical nightmare

It's been suggested that next year with 40+ teams that the carnival may be held at two venues split between white and maroon
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Or North/South?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Turbo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:08 am

Dutchy wrote:Or North/South?

Yeah something like that
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Quarterman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 am

Metro West about to implode?
Quarterman
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 am

[quote="Dutchy"]I dont think they even know how it will run next year, but they have officially said no medals or shields. They did give out a participation pennant to all the kids this year which actually looks pretty good and the kids liked it.

Considering there will be 40+ Under 8 teams next year with the change to 12 a side it will be a logistical nightmare[/quote

The SFL will need to start the fixture now to get it out by round 1 next year, didnt get it out til round 3 this year with 25 teams.

I really think the SFL need to review some of the under 8 rules.

1. The player should have to kick in from full back, it got to the stage where the teams biggest kick just played on to himself ran to the edge of the zone and booted it, his 5 team mates just stood and watched.

2. Some smothering should be allowed as a way to get possession. Dangerous smothers like jumping over a players leg should be a free kick.

Overall I feel the rest of the rules work ok and less numbers on the field wont be an issue.

Well done to host Cove.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Moe » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I dont think they even know how it will run next year, but they have officially said no medals or shields. They did give out a participation pennant to all the kids this year which actually looks pretty good and the kids liked it.

Considering there will be 40+ Under 8 teams next year with the change to 12 a side it will be a logistical nightmare[/quote

The SFL will need to start the fixture now to get it out by round 1 next year, didnt get it out til round 3 this year with 25 teams.

I really think the SFL need to review some of the under 8 rules.

1. The player should have to kick in from full back, it got to the stage where the teams biggest kick just played on to himself ran to the edge of the zone and booted it, his 5 team mates just stood and watched.

2. Some smothering should be allowed as a way to get possession. Dangerous smothers like jumping over a players leg should be a free kick.

Overall I feel the rest of the rules work ok and less numbers on the field wont be an issue.

Well done to host Cove.

Re Rules being looked at:
1. Kicking in from full: Agree and disagree. In 2nd game, all our kids had a go at kicking out. All kicks went 3 meters and went straight back over their heads. Poor coaching probably. IF the ball has to be kicked out, I feel it should be a free kick if another player has not touched it before reaching the centre. Goal square needs to be cleared of all players as well so kicker has some space.
2. Agree re smothering. Game 1 this time, a young fella who had not touched the ball all year finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, smothers the ball accidentally, nearly loses an arm, and a free is paid against.

The rules that need looking at are:
1. Barging. Bigger kids go straight through little fellas. if they are better, they should run around. Makes the little fella's chase.
2. Grabbing/wrenching the ball off a player. Some pay it, some don't.
3. Ball out of play. Seemed to confuse a lot of umps this year. Off hands: Throw up. Otherwise free against team who kicked it out.

Just saying.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Leo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:20 pm

After being out of the game for several years, reading this forum has just convinced me to buy my young boys a set of golf clubs, or a tennis racquet when they are old enough. WTF has happened to the game of footy? Run by politicians and people with university degrees that know what's best for our kids growing up?? God help any willing parent who wishes to volunteer their time to put a smile on the face of some kids..............They will be told they are doing it wrong and told to do it THE CORRECT WAY! Volunteers are priceless, the kids are the future. Let the game be played in spirit it has been played for the last 150 years. If someone doesn't like that, then find something else to play.

Just a concerned dad.
Leo
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Leo wrote:After being out of the game for several years, reading this forum has just convinced me to buy my young boys a set of golf clubs, or a tennis racquet when they are old enough. WTF has happened to the game of footy? Run by politicians and people with university degrees that know what's best for our kids growing up?? God help any willing parent who wishes to volunteer their time to put a smile on the face of some kids..............They will be told they are doing it wrong and told to do it THE CORRECT WAY! Volunteers are priceless, the kids are the future. Let the game be played in spirit it has been played for the last 150 years. If someone doesn't like that, then find something else to play.

Just a concerned dad.

The best argument I have heard throughout this whole debate was when I was pulled up for referring to the more talented kids being held back as a result of these rules. I was quickly informed that there is no such thing as more talented kids at this level, just children that are "more advanced".

Wonderful isn't it?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Moe wrote:I feel it should be a free kick if another player has not touched it before reaching the centre. Goal square needs to be cleared of all players as well so kicker has some space.

NO!! Lets just stop changing things each year - it is out of control
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:42 pm

In under 8's there is a rule that you cannot play on from the goal square and also a rule you cannot grab the ball from your opponent, they just wern't enforced by some umpires on Sunday who are also learning the game. It also must be hard for them as Under 10;s you can do both of these things.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Keyser Soze » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Well done to Hackham on hosting the under 10's carnival today, definitely 4 seasons in one day.

Congratulations to Brighton White who defeated Marion in an epic grand final by 3 points. Also credit to Reynella White and Brighton Yellow who lost the semi-final by 1 pt after extra time. The young umpires did a great job in difficult circumstances in probably the hardest age group to officiate the rules.

I hope the SFL reconsider the decision not to hand out the shield and kept scores in the under 10's carnival next season. The excitement of the kids winning and despair of losing is part of football and growing up. Not sure it would have the same feel about it if every team just played 3 games with no scores and went home. I'm pretty sure a large % of clubs support the current format?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Absolutely, both our teams didnt make the finals but had a great day out, including 8 kids who won the shield last year. 1 day of competition a year isn't going to hurt anyone. Ive spoken to a few people at other clubs and no one I know supports removing the competitive aspect.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 am

Dutchy wrote:Absolutely, both our teams didnt make the finals but had a great day out, including 8 kids who won the shield last year. 1 day of competition a year isn't going to hurt anyone. Ive spoken to a few people at other clubs and no one I know supports removing the competitive aspect.

It is hard to measure the future damage caused to the children who were unsuccessful today. Let's hope we can pick up the pieces.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Well done to Brighton Black on winning the u12 carnival today, again another great day out, well done OSBLFC, they do it well.

Proud of my kids who clawed their way back from 15 points down in the last half against Brighton to hit the front with 3 mins to go but couldn't hold on.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:Well done to Brighton Black on winning the u12 carnival today, again another great day out, well done OSBLFC, they do it well.

Proud of my kids who clawed their way back from 15 points down in the last half against Brighton to hit the front with 3 mins to go but couldn't hold on.

Not sure if you should be publicising this. We are not meant to be acknowledging achievements - it is for fun only with no winners or losers.

Please respect the poor children who were not in the winning team, we must care for their emotional wellbeing.

We also must not place any expectations on the winners, they may stop enjoying playing.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL