Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Spargo » Sat May 20, 2017 12:20 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Getting closer to our much anticipated return trip to Thailand. The itinerary this trip includes a week on Koh Samui, this will be the chill out time. Then a week in Hua Hin, this will be the golfing time. A few days in Bangkok, this will be Mrs Coronas shopping time. Then home the long way via Hong Kong. Our first trip there so keen to take it all in. Thanks to one SA Footy Forum member who helped set it all up. Hoping he can also arrange the bin put out/retrieval bloke for us while we are away!

I don't have him booked in again until August so he should be available.

You can both go & get phaaaarked.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 pm

A quick wrap of our 2017 holiday, writing this while it is fresh in my mind as we sit waiting for our flight home.
Holiday was booked in June 2016, at a time when my work life was very uncertain. We made the decision, that after a 4 year hiatus, an overseas break was in order. It had been 3 years since our last trip, and would be 4 by the time this one rolled around. Consequently I was a little conservative with parts of our hotel choices. Flights were a no-brainer & booked on frequent flyer points. Between booking holiday & going, I had relocated to Melbourne, Mrs C still in Adelaide. This would be my 4th trip to Thailand. :D

We rendezvoused in Sydney. I arrived a few hours before Mrs C, so snuck in a few jars – at $10 a go I was pleased it was only 1 night in Sydney. Stayed at the Stamford Sydney airport – nice room. Off early the next morning, to Sydney international. Smooth check in, quick look through duty free, nothing purchased. Onto Qantas club for breakfast. Called to board on time, although we sat on tarmac for 45 minutes waiting for some dude on a connecting flight. Pre-ordered lunch – went the Barramundi, very tasty. Nice with the Chardonnay. Mrs C grabbed a duty free watch on board. Plane was about 90 minutes late into Bangkok, bad weather en-route apparently. This meant a bit of a mad dash to the domestic terminal, to make our connecting flight out to Koh Samui. :!!

Checked into Chaba Cabana Koh Samui. This is at the northern end of Chewang Beach. Clean comfortable affordable resort, everything you need, nothing you don’t. We enjoyed a very relaxing week here. The plan all along was to just chill out the first week. Eat, drink, swim, sleep – rinse & repeat. Perfect. Both of got a bit too much sun on the first day, Mrs C tans & goes brown. I burn, peel & go back to white! Enjoyed a few evenings at the Islander Bar – this is in the heart of town. Highly recommended for a good feed, cold beer, footy on the big screen, and 69baht Mojito’s. That’s about $2.20! Enjoyed watching the Hawks beat the Pies here. :drinkers:

Moved onto Hua Hin for the second week. We stayed at the Chom View Hotel, well south of the town in Khao Takiab. This part of Hua Hin is still being developed, and there is a lot of building activity in the area. We soon worked out the best transport method into town. Local Songtaews charge 10baht (about 40 cents) per person anywhere along the route. I played 2 rounds of golf here. Once at Sea Pines, which was very nice, and the other at Banyan, this was an unreal (see review in golf section) golfing experience. Shout out to Sam who runs the Take 5 bar in Khao Takiab, he invited me as his guest to Banyan. All it took was a few drinks at his bar (tough work) and a meal, gotta eat somewhere. Mrs C did a bit of shopping in Hua Hin, but we were holding off for the “main event/s” that were still to come. Witnessed the Hawks draw with the Giants here.

As things turned out, we bailed a day early out of Hua Hin, and headed up to Bangkok. We had previously stayed at the IResidence hotel in Silom, and chose this once again. It’s very close to the BTS line in Bangkok, which is the best way to get around the big Mango. First arvo – we went to MBK which is a huge shopping complex. We went a little silly buying stuff here 4 years ago. By memory we didn’t buy anything this time around. Not really sure why but nothing really grabbed us. The following morning we went to the Emporium on Sukhumvit – this was my stuff up, as I thought we went well here last time. After consulting a map, and a little google searching realized we really wanted the Platinum Fashion Mall. Mrs C had a day out! Took the opportunity to meet with one of my Bangkok based work colleagues for dinner one night, this was followed by more shopping. Bangkok is one big bloody shopping Mall! :Hangman:

Moved onto Hong Kong after 4 days in Bangkok. Our first time here, stayed at the Eaton Kowloon – solid place. A little disappointed by the shopping. To be fair, after Thailand prices, anything looks expensive by comparison. Settled on some touristy sight-seeing instead. Harbour Cruise, Day trip to Hong Kong Island & the laser light show on the harbor at night among the highlights. Saw the Hawks not beat the Cats here!

I don’t think anyone can go through a 3 week holiday without a few “Carey-esque” ****. Mine included assuming my international baggage allowance on Qantas, would be the same (42kg) with Cathay Pacific – it wasn’t. Assuming I could access the Qantas lounge in Bangkok – enroute to Hong Kong – I couldn’t it does not open until 2 pm. Often getting onto either the Bangkok BTS, or the Hong Kong MTS and getting onto the wrong platform/train. I did manage to find the Irish Pub in Bangkok – Molly Malone’s first pop – priorities! :drinkers:

Other observations –
1. Koh Samui has become more commercial in the last 4 years, several new shopping complexs had popped up.
2. Hua Hin golf not as good as in Pattaya. Although the 2 courses played were very good, it’s just harder & more expensive to play here.
3. Bangkok as busy and manic as ever.
4. Hong Kong have the most aggressive Indian tailors encountered to date – ****.
5. Thai people are gentle, considerate and dignified. Chinese are ****.
6. 75% of Chinese men smoke, 100% of Chinese people with an umbrella will poke you in the eye with the ******* thing. 120% of Chinese people walking on the footpath will stop in front of you for no apparent reason. 200% of Chinese people will shout across a room rather than get up and go and talk quietly to their mates! :axe:

At this point we are looking towards Hawaii for our next holiday. Love Thailand, and will definitely return here, and we enjoyed Hong Kong, and can tick this off the list.

All the best,
Corona.

PS – Hope the Bin bloke did his job!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 am

I'll expand upon my travels later, but in brief :

Nusa Dua - Yes
Pirate Bay - Yes
Jimbaran Bay - Yes indeed
Kuta - Not as bad as I thought
Legian / Seminyak - Nice, but busy
Ubud - Thanks, but no thanks

*Edit*

And not as cheap as I thought. Most places were anywhere from $9-12 for a meal and $4-6 for a beer, throw on the 21% tax at the end and for the wife, Miss Boon and myself to have an entree, main, a few beers, a cocktail or two and a softy was working out to be upwards of $75-80 for a meal out.

Some places were a little cheaper, but in the main we were dropping $150 or more per day to have lunch and dinner out of the resort.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 am

Booney wrote:I'll expand upon my travels later, but in brief :

Nusa Dua - Yes
Pirate Bay - Yes
Jimbaran Bay - Yes indeed
Kuta - Not as bad as I thought
Legian / Seminyak - Nice, but busy
Ubud - Thanks, but no thanks

*Edit*

And not as cheap as I thought. Most places were anywhere from $9-12 for a meal and $4-6 for a beer, throw on the 21% tax at the end and for the wife, Miss Boon and myself to have an entree, main, a few beers, a cocktail or two and a softy was working out to be upwards of $75-80 for a meal out.

Some places were a little cheaper, but in the main we were dropping $150 or more per day to have lunch and dinner out of the resort.

That's what we found in Bangkok.
It proved a bit of a shock to us after we'd spent less than a grand in 12 days in Hanoi, to then be paying almost Aussie rates and spend well more than that in four days.
The price of change, I guess.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Anyone off to Bali shortly?

I found 250,000 IDR ( $25 ) in my bag and it's no point exchanging it as I'd owe them money with the exchange rate and fee!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:Anyone off to Bali shortly?

I found 250,000 IDR ( $25 ) in my bag and it's no point exchanging it as I'd owe them money with the exchange rate and fee!

When we left Thailand, and after scratching around for enough small change to grab a coffee & a muffin in the terminal, and being 1 whole baht short (the lady behind me in the line flicked me 5 baht) I found a couple of hundred stashed in a side pocket of my bag, when I got home.

Ended up with about $5 hong kong left over, or about 80 cents - first in can have it!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:Anyone off to Bali shortly?

When we left Thailand, and after scratching around for enough small change to grab a coffee & a muffin in the terminal, and being 1 whole baht short (the lady behind me in the line flicked me 5 baht) I found a couple of hundred stashed in a side pocket of my bag, when I got home.

Ended up with about $5 hong kong left over, or about 80 cents - first in can have it!

We did exactly the same at the airport in Denpasar. I went without some lunch so we could all have a drink and a small bite to eat, get home and look in my check in bag and **** me there's $25!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm interested in any spare baht and willing to pay for it, usually have a couple of thousand to pay for taxi etc but gave my previous left overs to my mate when he went and he didn't return the favour.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm interested in any spare baht and willing to pay for it, usually have a couple of thousand to pay for taxi etc but gave my previous left overs to my mate when he went and he didn't return the favour.

Wedgie it's only 200baht at any rate. Bit of luck I'm back in 2018.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'm interested in any spare baht and willing to pay for it, usually have a couple of thousand to pay for taxi etc but gave my previous left overs to my mate when he went and he didn't return the favour.

Wedgie it's only 200baht at any rate. Bit of luck I'm back in 2018.

All good mate, I'll just get some at the airport.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby carey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 am

So I need some advise lads, The Mrs and I get married the last sat in Feb so looking at the Honeymoon March/April looking at the places listed below-

Langkawi
Pattaya
Bangkok
Koh Samui and
Phuket

Thinking alone the lines of flying to Bangkok probably spending 2 nights, Then maybe 3 nights in Pattaya, 3-4 nights in Koh Samui or Langkawi.
We are going to finish with a 7 nights in Phuket as the Mrs Parents are bringing the kids over for the last week.

I've heard mixed reports on Bangkok and Pattaya (All great reports from the footy lads :lol: ) but the Mrs and I are pretty keen to experience it for ourselves. We've heard great stories about both Koh Samui and Langkawi so we may even go to both and just extend the honeymoon by an extra 2 or 3 nights.

The other thing I was concerned about was the weather around that time of the year? To be honest I have no idea what it will be like I guess it cant be to bad....

Any help would be much appreciated.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Corona Man » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 am

carey wrote:So I need some advise lads, The Mrs and I get married the last sat in Feb so looking at the Honeymoon March/April looking at the places listed below-

Langkawi
Pattaya
Bangkok
Koh Samui and
Phuket

Thinking alone the lines of flying to Bangkok probably spending 2 nights, Then maybe 3 nights in Pattaya, 3-4 nights in Koh Samui or Langkawi.
We are going to finish with a 7 nights in Phuket as the Mrs Parents are bringing the kids over for the last week.

I've heard mixed reports on Bangkok and Pattaya (All great reports from the footy lads :lol: ) but the Mrs and I are pretty keen to experience it for ourselves. We've heard great stories about both Koh Samui and Langkawi so we may even go to both and just extend the honeymoon by an extra 2 or 3 nights.

The other thing I was concerned about was the weather around that time of the year? To be honest I have no idea what it will be like I guess it cant be to bad....

Any help would be much appreciated.

FWIW....

Bangkok awesome, depending on what you want to see do, 2/3 days max. I would avoid Pattaya if I were you. The girl scene is huge. Unless your missus is particularly broad minded, it can be very confronting. Koh Samui is awesome, perfect honeymoon sort of spot, and better in my opinion than Phuket. I've not been to Langkawi so I cannot comment or make comparison. Koh Samui beached are better than Phuket & way, way better than Pattaya.

March/April - coming out of high season so prices get better. Weather wise will be getting warmer. Shorts, singlet, thongs..... no problem.
Corona Man
Coach

Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am

Langkawi is the better than Koh Samui IMO.
It’s in Malaysia though not Thailand and is best reached from KL, just a short flight under a hour and for usually under $80.
I love Bangkok and Phuket though, Pattaya I’d give a miss
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 am

I reckon if you are happy to give Pattaya a miss then you would be best served to spend 6-7 nights in either Koh Samui or Langkawi. You won't feel like packing up and leaving after 3 days in either unless you find it hard to relax.

March is a great time to go.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 am

Also Carey, I believe if you go to Koh Samui, you can get a Ferry back to the mainland. It may be one option, other than either flying back to Bangkok, then down to Phuket, or directly Koh Samui-Phuket.

My advice.

Bangkok - 2 nights

Koh Samui - 6/7 nights

Phuket - 5/6 nights.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Don't even consider Pattaya. I spent a week there only to catch up with some mates and it is awful unless you're after cheap ****.
I personally hate Bangkok too, but I'm no fan of big cities as I disliked Hong Kong too.
My old house mate asked me my opinion on the same matter but his missus overruled him so they spent some time in Bangkok, he said it was the biggest mistake he'd ever made in wasting time there.
I would only ever choose Phuket, north of Phuket or one of the islands.

Speaking of, 5 sleeps till I'm there again! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby carey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 am

Cheers for the feedback lads, Much appreciated.

I suggested giving Pattaya a miss, But the Mrs is hell bent on going there! Therefore we've dropped Langkawi off the list, Which I wanted to go, could be an anniversary trip. So I have looked in to the golf in Pattaya and looks very inviting. The Mrs had friends go there and they have told her how cheap it was and bang the word 'Cheap' used and she's there! The Mrs is also super keen on the shopping in Bangkok (MBK, Mango and the Markets she has been all over them) so it looks like our 'relaxing chill time' will be in Koh Samui, Before the inlaws and kids join us in Phuket for a bit of a family trip.

we've basically decided on the below; (Although I didn't really care)

Bangkok (2 nights)
Pattaya (3 nights)
Koh Samui (4 nights)
Phuket (8 nights)

logistically need to work out the timing. (High/Low season, Round 1 of the AFL, Easter, Work etc etc) but looking at leaving in the first few days of March.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Corona Man » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 am

carey wrote:Cheers for the feedback lads, Much appreciated.

I suggested giving Pattaya a miss, But the Mrs is hell bent on going there! Therefore we've dropped Langkawi off the list, Which I wanted to go, could be an anniversary trip. So I have looked in to the golf in Pattaya and looks very inviting. The Mrs had friends go there and they have told her how cheap it was and bang the word 'Cheap' used and she's there! The Mrs is also super keen on the shopping in Bangkok (MBK, Mango and the Markets she has been all over them) so it looks like our 'relaxing chill time' will be in Koh Samui, Before the inlaws and kids join us in Phuket for a bit of a family trip.

we've basically decided on the below; (Although I didn't really care)

Bangkok (2 nights)
Pattaya (3 nights)
Koh Samui (4 nights)
Phuket (8 nights)

logistically need to work out the timing. (High/Low season, Round 1 of the AFL, Easter, Work etc etc) but looking at leaving in the first few days of March.

Carey - the saving grace of Pattaya is the golf - it's sensational. Look up a mob called The Golf Club. They are on Soi Metro in Central Pattaya. Run by a couple of yanks they put on golf days 3/4 days a week. Good courses, and all you have to do is turn up on time. They take care of the rest. You can even use their hire clubs (decent stuff - Callaway etc), if you decide to take your own clubs, they can store them for you too. The Golf Club is a bar/restaurant (right next door to a place called the devils den......the mind boggles!) but they also put on a decent BBQ feed on Wednesday nights.

By the look of your itinerary you are doing a lot of packing & un-packing but each to their own. Personally I think you will love Koh Samui, and want more time there! Enjoy, oh and a holiday report please!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 am

Check the temperature out in Pattaya before planning any golf, when I was there it was 40 degrees and humid, so much hotter than Phuket, I struggled to leave my hotel room at times, it was awful. I thi k that was around June though.
God knows why anyone wohld want to go there but since you've made the decision then do yourself a favour and stay at Jomtiem, its about 5 mins from the heart of Pattaya but a lot nicer and chilled. My mates stayed there and I was jealous as I was staying in the heart of Pattaya. Theres baht buses everywhere too.
Stay clear of the Esplanade at nights, crime is a major issue there.
I dont envy you, sounds like youll be spending more time travelling than relaxing but Im not a sight seeing tourist type.
Early March should be pretty good weather wise but things will still be expensive then as its the end of the high season.
Ive always found the weather takes a turn for the worse mid April.

Can I ask why your missus is hellbent on Pattaya? The shopping is shit there, its too hot and ts the sleaziest place in the world, the only reason I could imagine anyone would want to go there would be cheap sex, cheap drinks and cheap long term accomodation. Saw buggerall couples there, mainly just sleezy middle aged men from China, Russia and other parts of Europe. I wouldn't ever consoder taking my missus there. Noone swam at Pattaya because of the pollution but quite a few did at Jomtiem.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 am

Wedgie wrote:Check the temperature out in Pattaya before planning any golf, when I was there it was 40 degrees and humid, so much hotter than Phuket, I struggled to leave my hotel room at times, it was awful. I thi k that was around June though.
God knows why anyone wohld want to go there but since you've made the decision then do yourself a favour and stay at Jomtiem, its about 5 mins from the heart of Pattaya but a lot nicer and chilled. My mates stayed there and I was jealous as I was staying in the heart of Pattaya. Theres baht buses everywhere too.
Stay clear of the Esplanade at nights, crime is a major issue there.
I dont envy you, sounds like youll be spending more time travelling than relaxing but Im not a sight seeing tourist type.
Early March should be pretty good weather wise but things will still be expensive then as its the end of the high season.
Ive always found the weather takes a turn for the worse mid April.

Can I ask why your missus is hellbent on Pattaya? The shopping is shit there, its too hot and ts the sleaziest place in the world, the only reason I could imagine anyone would want to go there would be cheap sex, cheap drinks and cheap long term accomodation. Saw buggerall couples there, mainly just sleezy middle aged men from China, Russia and other parts of Europe. I wouldn't ever consoder taking my missus there. Noone swam at Pattaya because of the pollution but quite a few did at Jomtiem.

I played golf there in late June/early July, and it was faaaarrrken hot. Made the beers all that much better though. Not a bad tip on Jontiem if you don't want to be in the middle of the "hubbub" that is Patts. Each to there own, it didn't bother me. Not the sort of place I would take the missus though. It's a boys town.
Corona Man
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel