I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Well the bible still says an eye for an eye.

It's convenient when we can cherry pick what we want isn't it?

After being a Christian for about the first 17 of my 29 years I have definitely come to the conclusion that it is all the biggest bunch of horse shit ever invented, and the whole moral compass argument can be replaced by "don't be a dick to one another" and that has nothing to do with religion

I do respect the right for others to believe what they want though so I'm not about to go try changing anyone's mind

I'm not religious at all, but my understanding of Christianity, from my exposure to RI at school and my reading, was that the New Testament brought to the world by Christ was supposed to supplant and replace the Old Testament. So it is just a little puzzling when some people who appear to regard themselves as Christian cling to the bits of the Old Testament that suit their prejudices.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Yep agree with you entirely.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Psyber wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Well the bible still says an eye for an eye.

It's convenient when we can cherry pick what we want isn't it?

After being a Christian for about the first 17 of my 29 years I have definitely come to the conclusion that it is all the biggest bunch of horse shit ever invented, and the whole moral compass argument can be replaced by "don't be a dick to one another" and that has nothing to do with religion

I do respect the right for others to believe what they want though so I'm not about to go try changing anyone's mind

I'm not religious at all, but my understanding of Christianity, from my exposure to RI at school and my reading, was that the New Testament brought to the world by Christ was supposed to supplant and replace the Old Testament. So it is just a little puzzling when some people who appear to regard themselves as Christian cling to the bits of the Old Testament that suit their prejudices.

Correct, Jesus didn't do away with the law though, he fulfilled it. Matthew 5:17

Which prejudices are you implying are old testament law that Christians hang onto?
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Being gay
bennymacca
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:Being gay

it is a sin just the same as sex outside of marriage by a straight couple among many others.

New Testament - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be decieved, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

I am not making the law, just following it and warning others of it. If a cop came along and gave you a fine for some law that you dont agree with, does it make the law of any less effect or any less of a law? Just because we dont agree with the law, doesnt mean they are irrelevant. We dont choose the law, we just need to live by them.

if you dont beleive in God then why does my belief have such an influence and casue such a reaction? Why is what i believe relevant to you and make you feel you need to justify yourself or others actions? your lack of belief is fine with me, its your eternity to deal with it...
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

I need to know....

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 pm

So why don't you believe in an eye for an eye? That seems to be overridden by Jesus saying love thy neighbour but the "laws" governing homosexuality are trotted out despite you ignoring other parts.

And It is relevant to me because you and other backwards idiots continue to allow a section of the community to continue to be discriminated against because that somehow violates your sense of right or wrong.

By the way homosexuality is not illegal, your book has no relevance to the rule of law other than to put in place a whole bunch of injustices that it has taken the hundreds of years since then to gradually overturn.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Do you eat pork? Own your wife? How many wives do you have? Sell your daughter to your neighbour?

How can you justify ignoring those parts of the Old Testament but yet cling to others and hide behind those words as a cover for your prejudices?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:I need to know what to do about a situation at home.

2 doors down own a dog that has been crapping on my front lawn, Mrs NG took a picture of it crapping on the driveway too! How do i approach it with these neighbours? I have had no dealings with them in the past and they dont seem all that friendly.

I was just gonna pick it up and dump it on their lawn but wifey thinks that'll start a war...

Many years ago I had a similar situation and confronted the neighbour about it and sure enough next day his dog left a surprise on our front lawn and continued to do so every day for the next few days. The following Saturday night after a big night out with footy lads I came home and proceeded to lay a big grog bog on the pricks front door mat, strangely enough his dog never crapped on our lawn again after that night
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:

2 doors down own a dog that has been crapping on my front lawn, Mrs NG took a picture of it crapping on the driveway too! How do i approach it with these neighbours? I have had no dealings with them in the past and they dont seem all that friendly.

I was just gonna pick it up and dump it on their lawn but wifey thinks that'll start a war...

Many years ago I had a similar situation and confronted the neighbour about it and sure enough next day his dog left a surprise on our front lawn and continued to do so every day for the next few days. The following Saturday night after a big night out with footy lads I came home and proceeded to lay a big grog bog on the pricks front door mat, strangely enough his dog never crapped on our lawn again after that night

Haha awesome.

See this is where today's generation have it much better, because you would have photo evidence to back it up haha.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Johno6 wrote:I didn't mind the mother, but ive only ever had one
but vee is easily the worst of the lot

ive only had the sugar free ones tho

except for before I was diabetic having jager bombs

After a boozy session at the old Pier and Pines in the Grand I would head up to Horizons for some mother cans....
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Haha awesome.

See this is where today's generation have it much better, because you would have photo evidence to back it up haha.

Yeah lucky buggers.
I reckon that happened a good 4-5 years before my first mobile phone and even that was one of those brick type nokias that had the snake game lol
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Pseudo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:28 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:New Testament - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be decieved, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

^ this is why I want to go to hell. All the fun people will be there!
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:Do you eat pork? Own your wife? How many wives do you have? Sell your daughter to your neighbour?

How can you justify ignoring those parts of the Old Testament but yet cling to others and hide behind those words as a cover for your prejudices?

what are you arguing for Benny?

i'm not 'ignoring' the Old Testament, some things were customs of the day and not necessarily 'church' instituted...

Pork was seen as unclean, and still is that way to the Jews, but new testament describes all meat as being clean. Mark 7 Jesus deals with this and says that it isnt what goes into a man that defiles him but what comes out of a man.

owning a wife? long bow there, we all know that men and women were created equally, woman came from mas side so as to not be above or below but alongside as a help and companion...

polygamy was a normal custom in biblical times but again has changed. many scriptures talk about having 1 wife and even from the beginning it says 'man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife' not wives...

sell my daughter, well she aint going for nothing! again that was a custom and for the right dowry to the right suitor i'd contemplate it...

you say you used to be a Christian so you now dont believe in God at all or you dont believe in what the bible says?
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Pseudo wrote:
nuggety goodness wrote:New Testament - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be decieved, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

good luck with that...

this mentality honestly intrigues me, is it;
1- you dont believe in heaven or hell so its just for giggles or,
2- you dont think the judgment will be as it is depicted and it will be a big party?
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 pm

My point is Christians seem to happily cherry pick things they want to believe in whilst explaining away others and don't seem to see any problem with that
bennymacca
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:My point is Christians seem to happily cherry pick things they want to believe in whilst explaining away others and don't seem to see any problem with that

I agree there are many people professing to be Christians that treat it like a smorgasboard, i like this but i dont like that etc, absolutely.

When it comes to OT and NT it's a bit different though because things have changed. Laws not so much and i struggle to think of one that really affects the way we live that has done an about face. Eating pork or not eating pork wouldnt change my life (it wasn't just Pork either BTW but that's the most common one) Much of the law was retained and Jesus and the disciples teaching took it from being rules and regulations to a personal thing.

As i said earlier, if people lived to the moral standard that Jesus taught (whether they be Chistian, Muslim, Atheist, Agnostic or whatever) then things would be different. The problem is very few do, even those that profess to be followers of Christ.

but you cant throw the baby out with the bathwater
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Morality is subjective NG.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Q. wrote:Morality is subjective NG.

That is true and it is the reason why there must be an underlying law higher than morality that governs our behaviour. Because we can desensitize ourselves as to what is morally acceptable regardless
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Postby shoe boy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:20 am

what are you arguing for Benny?

i'm not 'ignoring' the Old Testament, some things were customs of the day and not necessarily 'church' instituted...

Pork was seen as unclean, and still is that way to the Jews, but new testament describes all meat as being clean. Mark 7 Jesus deals with this and says that it isnt what goes into a man that defiles him but what comes out of a man.

owning a wife? long bow there, we all know that men and women were created equally, woman came from mas side so as to not be above or below but alongside as a help and companion...

polygamy was a normal custom in biblical times but again has changed. many scriptures talk about having 1 wife and even from the beginning it says 'man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife' not wives...

sell my daughter, well she aint going for nothing! again that was a custom and for the right dowry to the right suitor i'd contemplate it...

you say you used to be a Christian so you now dont believe in God at all or you dont believe in what the bible says?[/quote]

](*,)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:16 am

nuggety goodness wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

good luck with that...

this mentality honestly intrigues me, is it;
1- you dont believe in heaven or hell so its just for giggles or,
2- you dont think the judgment will be as it is depicted and it will be a big party?

1 - Not a chance either exists
2 - You either get burnt into a pile of ashes or eaten by bacteria. No judgement and you're the last one to get invited to the party.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion