The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Gozu wrote:Things overheard at my local polling booth today:

"Look at this lineup this is f**ked"

"Do ya have to vote mate?", "Yeah or the c**ts will fine me $250 or something"

"Do I have to vote too?", "Nah just tell em you've already voted"

"Who you voting for?", "I just vote Labor every time even though both of them will f**k us over"

:lol:

:lol:
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:59 pm

"I would favour an Aboriginal theme because in a way Adelaide is the gateway to the outback," Mr Hamilton-Smith said.

THE gateway? What is wrong with people in Adelaide? Always claiming something that isn't true.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Pollbludger's William Bowe will be the SA election analysis guy on tonights ABC1 coverage from 6:30pm as Antony Green will be doing the Tasmanian election.

Pollbludger's SA election live thread:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/ ... tion-live/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby dedja » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:19 pm

On early results, the Libs should be suicidal.

After 12 years of Labor, with an every increasing appetite for change, the Libs look like they may fall short of a majority.

Miraculously, Labor still have some hope of forming a majority government and a have a better chance than the Libs of forming a minority.

Whale oil beef hooked.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Bully » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 pm

I would be happy as a labor supporter yes, but worried for the next election if labor are in this time. We have seen on a norm that parties that are in power for this long period are wiped of the face of the earth because of "change".
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby dedja » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:17 pm

It's now looking like the result of the election is in the electorate of Mitchell's hands.

Labor ahead by a bee's appendage there, and if they get up retain majority government.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Bully » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:21 pm

lol lib supporters have infiltrated the headquarters of greens for Tasmania and hanging shit on their leader during his speech :lol:
Bully
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Bob Such for speaker in a Labor government? ... the Libs will rue the fact that they have pissed him off so badly.
dedja
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Bully wrote:lol lib supporters have infiltrated the headquarters of greens for Tasmania and hanging shit on their leader during his speech :lol:

Classy
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:47 am

How did the Libs seemingly blow this?

Regardless of the spin Marshall puts on this, not being able to finish off a clearly tired and divided Labor party after 12 years in government is astounding.

The electorate clearly have an appetite for change, but couldn't stomach what the Libs put on the table.

A dose of hubris towards the end of the campaign by the Libs, both locally and federally didn't help. The arrogant way Abbott walked into town and made the drone announcement without extending an invite to the Premier is not a good look.

Another kick in the guts for Marshall was a swing against him personally in Dunstan, which is equally astounding.

Whilst there are a lot of postal and absentee votes to be counted, only a miracle will deliver a majority to the Libs. Add the fact they have completely alienated Bob Such, it's difficult to see how they can form government in any form even if they jag enough seats to get close.

A total shambles for the Liberals, and any talk of the TPP vote being undemocratic belies the fact that Labor have many seats close to knive's edge whilst the Libs have a few more very safe seats. Labor also are much better at working each seat rather than worry about state swings.

The SA electorate certainly deliver interesting results and in some way democracy is served by the wild differences in swings in each seat. It is inconceivable that any seat would swing back to Labor but that's what has happened in a number of seats.

Labor will indeed lose government in a landslide, but we'll have to wait at least another 4 years to experience it.
dedja
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:32 am

Great assessment Dedja, the SA Libs have **** it up AGAIN, last time with the whinging housewife at the helm and this time with Mr. self important. Will he be able to hold onto is Liberal leadership if they can't form government of some sort? Marshal's problem is that he doesn't listen to people, I mean really listen. Several Ag industry groups have felt that he turns up to events to be seen rather that to listen and understand the issues. This may be the same reason he suffered a swing against him in his own electorate.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Bully » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 am

to my understanding seeing the results from last night , it was a swing against the labor party ?
Bully
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 am

Bully wrote:to my understanding seeing the results from last night , it was a swing against the labor party ?

yeah it probably is a swing against the labor party, but the swing against may not be big enough for the Libs to win a majority.

how the liberals have failed to really belt labor into submission is a miracle really.

the libs are potentially going to lose the unloseable :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11848 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:15 am

There's more an element of Hewson than Keating about this.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am

on another issue, i caught part of channel 10 coverage, and i think i can say this SA FOOTYs favourite pollie, Tommy K, was on.

now i am predominantly a labor supporter, but he is embarrassing. I can acknowledge good pollies from other sides and the way that Alexander Downer handled him was sensational. Downer didnt get involved in any slanging match.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am

Dogwatcher wrote:There's more an element of Hewson than Keating about this.

or perhaps Beasley in 98??
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:20 am

great post dedja

Bully wrote:to my understanding seeing the results from last night , it was a swing against the labor party ?

yep but according to the news i am reading, it may not be enough

according to ABC website ALP lead LIB 20-19, IND2. they need 24 for majority govt. at least one of the independents will side with labor, so that means ALP will need to win 3 more to form minority government.

also according to ABC, there are 6 seats still in doubt, and are likely to get split 3 each, though that could change obviously
http://www.abc.net.au/news/sa-election- ... s-in-doubt

in 13 safe LIB seats there was also a swing against them, which i also found very interesting. to me that shows the line ball voters are mostly voting labor

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:on another issue, i caught part of channel 10 coverage, and i think i can say this SA FOOTYs favourite pollie, Tommy K, was on.

now i am predominantly a labor supporter, but he is embarrassing. I can acknowledge good pollies from other sides and the way that Alexander Downer handled him was sensational. Downer didnt get involved in any slanging match.

i like downer a lot.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:38 am

There is a nasty side of me that wants Labor to get back in so they can face the mess they've created and the lies they have told this election.
They are broke, shackled with a PS union that wont allow them to reduce their size (been there / done that = fail), Workcover that they wont be able to fix (been there / done that = fail), $190m in procurement savings that aren't there. I can see them blaming Canberra for everything when they cant afford to do anything. Surplus in 3 years = it is supposed to be in surplus now :roll:
The only losers will be us as we all go slowly broke. Seriously, are we better off than 4 years ago?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby GWW » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:56 am

For all that, and the Liberals still can't get a majority.

What an indictment that is on that rabble.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby dedja » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57 am

Only 0.7% at this stage
dedja
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics