Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Psyber » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Meanwhile while the co-payment debate continues this reference popped up on a Medical forum from a GP suggesting don't trust either side to act in the interest of health care and the financially struggling patient:

https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/648

Destroying Medicare
Wednesday, September 11, 1991 - 10:00

By Peter Boyle

MELBOURNE — Labor "left" Deputy Prime Minister Brian Howe's image minder probably thought it wasn't very good to have a picket of community health workers, their patients and a few leftists outside his electorate office the day after the federal budget was announced. So we were invited in to speak to the man himself about his cuts to Medicare.

The press was excluded from this "unique opportunity to speak to the community so soon after the budget was released", as Howe put it. He had a different story to tell them.

He wanted to explain to us concerned members of the community that the cut in the Medicare rebate by $3.50 per consultation was really part of a grand plan to expand community health services and defeat the nasty, greedy, overservicing private general practitioners who, he said, were rorting and wrecking the Medicare system. The cut to the rebate was an attempt to save Medicare, he claimed.

If this was his plan, why didn't he hit the rorters and increase funding for community health? That would be too simple, he said. We can't take on the Australian Medical Association head on, and there isn't the money to throw around, so instead he decided to whack on the $3.50 (rising to $5) co-payment.

Since there was a huge oversupply of GPs in the major cities, he said, many will be pressured to absorb the cut in rebate and not pass it on to bulkbilled patients. The cuts were aimed at curtailing overservicing by some GPs.

But even as Howe concluded his monologue with a thick-lipped smile to an unconvinced and infuriated audience, his flickering eyes and folding hands betrayed him.

The cut in rebate aims to shift $163.9 million of health-care costs onto poorer non-pensioner patients this year, followed by a further $306.1 million next year. Medicare architect Dr John Deeble says the budget measures did not shift resources to where they were needed but only transferred some costs to some users.

I remember the suggestion of "...and defeat the nasty, greedy, overservicing private general practitioners who, he said, were rorting and wrecking the Medicare system. "

The government insisted we had too many doctors in Oz, and claimed the AMA's reply that most doctors were flat out dealing with patient demand was a lie, despite demonstrable long waiting times for appointments.

Later, after the funding cuts for medical education we developed an undeniable doctor shortage and started encouraging foreign born graduates to stay here rather than return home to serve their own countries needs.

Now, I'm benefiting from the aftermath of that time - the current shortage of people in my field...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 pm

FIGHT FIGHT .........

Leave it with me bp2 I'm pretty busy at the moment so cant answer straight away. I'm off to a dinner so cant review and respond tonight
Hey, at least someone is prepared to put up some basis to their arguement unlike most on here who just blindly barrack the popular view
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:12 pm

bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby dedja » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:22 pm

:lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:FIGHT FIGHT .........

Leave it with me bp2 I'm pretty busy at the moment so cant answer straight away. I'm off to a dinner so cant review and respond tonight
Hey, at least someone is prepared to put up some basis to their arguement unlike most on here who just blindly barrack the popular view

Theres debate, theres argument, and then theres just pain being ignorant in the face of the facts.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks for that, Jimmy. Although we come from opposite ends of the political spectrum and probably get each other riled up at times, I do have utmost respect for you.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:http://dai.ly/x1y1ez7

Oh God, I did not realise he was a fellow Pom! Suddenly inviting Tony to Barmy Army functions and voting Liberal... NOT!! :?
I have too much in common with him: Pom, Catholic, Jesuit, time in the seminary - Oh God, I suddenly hate myself!! lol
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:59 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:

Oh God, I did not realise he was a fellow Pom! Suddenly inviting Tony to Barmy Army functions and voting Liberal... NOT!! :?
I have too much in common with him: Pom, Catholic, Jesuit, time in the seminary - Oh God, I suddenly hate myself!! lol

:lol: I have alot in common with Barnaby Joyce - we are both farmers
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:

:lol: I have alot in common with Barnaby Joyce - we are both farmers

... a fellow Jesuit too though lol
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:07 pm

Corey Bernardi doesn't seem 100% behind all Liberal policies. Refreshing to see a politician express their own opinion, albeit in a subtle way.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:Corey Bernardi doesn't seem 100% behind all Liberal policies. Refreshing to see a politician express their own opinion, albeit in a subtle way.

Any port in a storm Roxy
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:21 am

I have been a bit critical of Corey Bernardi at times in the past but thought that his honesty in answering questions last night was commendable. I don't agree with his opinions on some matters but it was good to see him put his opinions across without simply regurgitating the party's scripted lines.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:33 am

No views required JIMMY your mates do a great job every day they open their mouths. PYNE/ABBOT/BISHOP/HOCKEY/and who can forget the minister for silence because we don't need to know.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:39 am

workchoices is slowly being wound up by the liberals, the wheels have been in motion for a while and they are slowly building momentum :evil:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:16 pm

I told you they would slash penalty rates.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Q. wrote:I told you they would slash penalty rates.

I was always a believer.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:workchoices is slowly being wound up by the liberals, the wheels have been in motion for a while and they are slowly building momentum :evil:

Have they said anything specifically or are you just feeling a vibe?
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:workchoices is slowly being wound up by the liberals, the wheels have been in motion for a while and they are slowly building momentum :evil:

Have they said anything specifically or are you just feeling a vibe?

they haven't specifically mentioned it publically, but there is a strong vibe of inevitability
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Did anyone notice the growth figures today.

Budget emergency my a@#e.

If the government put more time into fair budget policy, than they do with scaremongering tactics and telling anyone who will listen that we are in dire financial strife, Australia would be far better off.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Last edited by bulldogproud2 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics