Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 am

stan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Also, how dodgy was this.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... -were-fake

There is no way they thought they were fakes

Happens to me all the time. I quite often end up getting Rolex's for gifts that I thought were fakes.

I've got a fake Rolex. Must get it out of my cricket bag.
I wonder if my local MP would know the difference. I might pop in and see Mr Champion.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am

stan wrote:So back to the issue at hand. How does Turnball get a handle on this right faction?

As it has been said an election is around the corner and hes not making the ground they would have wanted with a leadership change.

Turnbull needs a mandate to get things going, which he'll get from winning an election. One approach would be to endure the right for the time being and call an early election, although I think this is unlikely.

I presume that Turnbull still has the 60% majority support of the party room that he received in September last year.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:11 am

Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:So back to the issue at hand. How does Turnball get a handle on this right faction?

As it has been said an election is around the corner and hes not making the ground they would have wanted with a leadership change.

Turnbull needs a mandate to get things going, which he'll get from winning an election. One approach would be to endure the right for the time being and call an early election, although I think this is unlikely.

I presume that Turnbull still has the 60% majority support of the party room that he received in September last year.

Rumours are circulating that an early election may in fact be on the cards.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 am

Does he need to make ground? Or just not say anything silly?

Shorten is just so goddamn boring, that I feel like Turnbull will win if he just keeps his house in order.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:55 am

stan wrote:
Magellan wrote:

It makes sense, he just needs some solid policy to go to the people with. Tax is now supposedly out the door, and privatizing Medicare sounds like a dangerous tactic. He may wait and rely on the Budget as his policy 'launch', sweeten the electorate and then go to the polls.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Does he need to make ground? Or just not say anything silly?

Shorten is just so goddamn boring, that I feel like Turnbull will win if he just keeps his house in order.

Needs just a little bit more than saying nothing. Just something at the moment because there is so much baggage wiht the libs at the moment.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:12 pm

Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:
Magellan wrote:

It makes sense, he just needs some solid policy to go to the people with. Tax is now supposedly out the door, and privatizing Medicare sounds like a dangerous tactic. He may wait and rely on the Budget as his policy 'launch', sweeten the electorate and then go to the polls.

There was an article on Adelaide now, but I have read it as its in the premium content, and I have found anything on news.com. So really its probably BS and speculation even though it would make sense.

I however tend to agree with you it will at least hold out until the budget.
stan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:58 pm

At least we don't have poor taste, or this type of problem, in Oz - that we know of...

image.png
image.png (212.2 KiB) Viewed 839 times
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Ruben Carter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm

stan wrote:
Magellan wrote:

That same rumour about early elections was suggested in 2001,2004,2007,2010,2013....
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Their chances aren't going up with that buffoon Barnaby Joyce stepping into the deputy's seat.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby shoe boy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:26 am

Q. wrote:Their chances aren't going up with that buffoon Barnaby Joyce stepping into the deputy's seat.

Australia's answer to George Bush .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:19 am

shoe boy wrote:
Q. wrote:Their chances aren't going up with that buffoon Barnaby Joyce stepping into the deputy's seat.

Nah, that was Tony Abbott. Both blokes with fancy qualifications who couldn't think on their feet to save themselves.
Barnaby has loose lips at times, which he'll have to keep in check now. Will be interesting to see how he fares, no more crossing the floor with gay abandon (not in the National party, please!).

I actually don't mind Joyce, whilst I'm not at all on the same political page as him. He's a bit of a character. When he speaks you're getting the real person and not a boring, staged-managed personality (i.e. Bill Shorten). Of course this is a doubled-edged sword. Politics needs more people who are able to be genuine, not party apparatchiks raised in the mold of the major parties from the age of 16 who later become kicked upstairs and turn into career politicians.
Magellan
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:02 am

Magellan wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Nah, that was Tony Abbott. Both blokes with fancy qualifications who couldn't think on their feet to save themselves.
Barnaby has loose lips at times, which he'll have to keep in check now. Will be interesting to see how he fares, no more crossing the floor with gay abandon (not in the National party, please!).

I actually don't mind Joyce, whilst I'm not at all on the same political page as him. He's a bit of a character. When he speaks you're getting the real person and not a boring, staged-managed personality (i.e. Bill Shorten). Of course this is a doubled-edged sword. Politics needs more people who are able to be genuine, not party apparatchiks raised in the mold of the major parties from the age of 16 who later become kicked upstairs and turn into career politicians.

Say what you like about Mr Joyce being original but when big Mal takes a holiday he hands his keys to this bloke. That is rather concerning.
stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am

stan wrote:
Magellan wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Say what you like about Mr Joyce being original but when big Mal takes a holiday he hands his keys to this bloke. That is rather concerning.

Agreed.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am

Still better than Shorten ever getting them
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:57 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Still better than Shorten ever getting them

No I actually dont think so. Bill has the personality of a goat, and as such the imagination of one to probably. Old mate Barnaby is capable of anything. Thats scary for a PM.

So whats the solution well Mal not allowed holidays anymore. [emoji12]
stan
Coach

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:14 pm

One of the smartest people in politics at the moment is Julie Bishop. Has proven she is a very astute, well presented and measured politician on both the home and international stage. Has generally tried to stay away from the controversy but in the same breath has shown she's got the balls to match it with anyone. Very, very intelligent lady, underestimate her at your peril.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby stan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Grenville wrote:One of the smartest people in politics at the moment is Julie Bishop. Has proven she is a very astute, well presented and measured politician on both the home and international stage. Has generally tried to stay away from the controversy but in the same breath has shown she's got the balls to match it with anyone. Very, very intelligent lady, underestimate her at your peril.

Ahh staying out of it?

Mate Julie Bishop is playing the long game and playing them all.

She has her eyes on the 2020 election win.

But you are right, shes bloody smart.
stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Having the foreign affairs portfolio helps her profile. But yes, she's no fool.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 am

Knowing people who work in FA, she is both respected and, to a degree, feared by those in her portfolio.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics