Poll ended at Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:32 pm

1. yes
61%
2. No
39%

Total votes : 70

Re: Gay marriage, yes or no...?

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:23 am

The question is, who can you vote for if both Rudd and Abbott seem like dud options?
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 am

Failed Creation wrote:The question is, who can you vote for if both Rudd and Abbott seem like dud options?

well fortunately they arent in the same electorate so you wont be able to vote for either
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 am

gossipgirl wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:The question is, who can you vote for if both Rudd and Abbott seem like dud options?

well fortunately they arent in the same electorate so you wont be able to vote for either

Well played.

A vote for a certain party is a vote for their leader. Unfortunately we don't get to choose the leader of the party.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 am

Failed Creation wrote:A vote for a certain party is a vote for their leader. Unfortunately we don't get to choose the leader of the party.

Not really. Well, only if you live in a marginal seat ;)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Turns out Cory Bernardi's hysterical fears about this dangerous precedent being a slippery slope to humans marrying animals ARE justified!

Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm

^^^ is that Gareth Evans?
Q.
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Yes.......or no??
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Tony Abbott seems like he's beginning to unravel under the glare of the election campaign spotlight, goes on radio and calls gay marriage "the fashion of the moment":

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... ge-comment

To quote a recently departed shock jock "Bloody dickbrain".
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 659 times

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 pm

It's a shame this pre-election stuff won't go for long enough for his brain to implode.
Q.
Coach

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 am

I'm half-cut or I probably wouldn't do this, because I'm pretty sure my parents don't know and MM probably thinks I was just pissed when I told him. But I'm bisexual. I don't really think it's a big deal, and I certainly don't need anyone's approval. I've never had a girlfriend, only the odd fling. Had a lot of boyfriends. In a long-term relationship with a bloke. I'm attracted to both men and women, but I fall in love with men and that hasn't happened with a woman so far. It's never seemed to be that big an issue to me, which made me think 'maybe I'm just one of those curious people, or one of those people who doesn't really give a s*** about sex' - except for the fact that I'm s***-scared to tell my parents. Oh hell, I don't know.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Gozu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 am

Good on ya, Fisho.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has made an election pitch to a conservative Sydney Christian school which describes homosexuality as an "abomination".

Mr Abbott used his visit to the Penrith Christian School in western Sydney to talk about values.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... lues-pitch
Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Today gay marriage was legalised in the A.C.T.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... riage-bill
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Brodlach wrote:Today gay marriage was legalised in the A.C.T.

That's a great start, hopefully it soon follows to the rest of Australia. EVERYONE has the right to be happy.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Failed Creation wrote:

That's a great start, hopefully it soon follows to the rest of Australia. EVERYONE has the right to be happy.

Well nobody should get married then :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Well nobody should get married then :lol:

Oops... :oops:
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

I honestly don't see any rational argument for people not thinking allowing same sex marriage is a good idea. Unless you are homophobic.

The main issue I have with religious groups saying that same sex marriage undermines the sanctity of marriage is that they ignore the fact that divorce rates have skyrocketed, and there are people out there that are on their 4th marriage etc. or like Britney Spears and only last a few weeks or whatever. All of those things undermine the sanctity of marriage much more than two people who happen to be of the same sex getting married.

The current liberal argument for opposing this law makes me so angry. They say there should be a congruent set of laws over marriage in Australia. And while I actually agree with that, it sidesteps the issue that YOU D*ckheads are now in government? Fking change the law at the commonwealth level!

Lastly, with regards to the debate about same sex couples having access to IVF, I think they should be allowed to. At the present time a single mother can also have access, which is surely a worse situation than having two loving parents. Not to mention 15 year olds can have babies whenever they want so they can get a new tv. Or just because they are careless. IVF is a massive commitment, financially and also in terms of how stressful it would be. And it has to be a choice of the parents. Surely this puts them in a better position than the 15 year old that gets knocked up
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:28 pm

bennymacca wrote:I honestly don't see any rational argument for people not thinking allowing same sex marriage is a good idea. Unless you are homophobic.

The main issue I have with religious groups saying that same sex marriage undermines the sanctity of marriage is that they ignore the fact that divorce rates have skyrocketed, and there are people out there that are on their 4th marriage etc. or like Britney Spears and only last a few weeks or whatever. All of those things undermine the sanctity of marriage much more than two people who happen to be of the same sex getting married.

The current liberal argument for opposing this law makes me so angry. They say there should be a congruent set of laws over marriage in Australia. And while I actually agree with that, it sidesteps the issue that YOU D*ckheads are now in government? Fking change the law at the commonwealth level!

Lastly, with regards to the debate about same sex couples having access to IVF, I think they should be allowed to. At the present time a single mother can also have access, which is surely a worse situation than having two loving parents. Not to mention 15 year olds can have babies whenever they want so they can get a new tv. Or just because they are careless. IVF is a massive commitment, financially and also in terms of how stressful it would be. And it has to be a choice of the parents. Surely this puts them in a better position than the 15 year old that gets knocked up

Well said.

Without wanting to pigeonhole any religious users of this forum, they're just as inclined to commit adultery, rape, indecent acts against children and people in general, and other crimes as non-believers.

Having done the majority of my schooling in the private system, I couldn't believe the level of homophobia, bigotry and sexism many of my teachers tried to pass on to us. But that's not to say all religious people are like that. In fact, some of the most open-minded, caring and compassionate people I have ever met have faith in one god or another. But there are also a great deal on non-religious types who are as bad as some faith-based folk.

What I'm trying to say is that like Pierre Trudeau once said "there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" and "what's done in private between adults doesn't concern the Criminal Code".
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm still with the principle of allowing gay marriage for those who are foolish enough to want to marry, but I think it would be a different matter to try to force religious institutions to perform the marriage ceremonies if they conflict with their beliefs.

The problem seems to be that religious institutions hold an historical mortgage on the term "Marriage" which the state goes along with by referring to non-religious ceremonies as "Civil Union".

Perhaps if we could agree on a general term for the non-religious union, and another for the religious union, it may take some of the heat out of the debate.

IVF?
It is hard to justify in an overpopulated world, and it may help increase the percentage in the population who can't breed naturally over time. It is also a very expensive to provide for what is not a life threatening situation. Perhaps the government should not offer the service to anyone, and promote adoption instead, but not ban it. Then those who can pay all their costs to use their money this way if they wish.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Psyber wrote:I'm still with the principle of allowing gay marriage for those who are foolish enough to want to marry, but I think it would be a different matter to try to force religious institutions to perform the marriage ceremonies if they conflict with their beliefs.

The problem seems to be that religious institutions hold an historical mortgage on the term "Marriage" which the state goes along with by referring to non-religious ceremonies as "Civil Union".

most weddings performed nowadays are civil unions anyway. something like 70% are outside of the church as far as i know (cant remember exactly). they are still called marriages even though they are performed by civil ceremony with a celebrant. so i dont see this as an issue at all to allow gay people this right.

there would be at least some ministers that would welcome gay members of their congregation a chance to marry in their church too, and that should also be allowed.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion