Sack Chuck

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Sack Chuck

Postby Aerie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

David Brent wrote:
heater31 wrote:Botha to retire from First Class cricket at season's end is my guess. Rumblings that the board were preparing to meet after this next shield match in Perth to discuss the future of Coach & Captain.

You would think in their orginal succession plan the big C would have been handed on to Phil Hughes, just another thing this tragic accident has effected IMO.

Hughes would have been playing for Australia before too long, which doesn't give much time to play State cricket. Would've thought Ferguson was the obvious choice, but clearly they see something special in Travis Head. A lot of pressure on a young player who is yet to really stamp his mark at first class level. Good luck to him.

Hopefully they can get Dizzy back to coach.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 508 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Aerie wrote:
David Brent wrote:
heater31 wrote:Botha to retire from First Class cricket at season's end is my guess. Rumblings that the board were preparing to meet after this next shield match in Perth to discuss the future of Coach & Captain.

You would think in their orginal succession plan the big C would have been handed on to Phil Hughes, just another thing this tragic accident has effected IMO.

Hughes would have been playing for Australia before too long, which doesn't give much time to play State cricket. Would've thought Ferguson was the obvious choice, but clearly they see something special in Travis Head. A lot of pressure on a young player who is yet to really stamp his mark at first class level. Good luck to him.

Hopefully they can get Dizzy back to coach.

Don't think Ferguson wants the job. Dizzy won't return to the SACA much like Boof won't either.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:Throw everything at Justin Langer IMO

Aren't WA just as big of a basket case at Shield level as we are?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RustyCage » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:49 pm

"Preferred to now Australian boss Darren Lehmann"

Great decision......
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:39 pm

RustyCage wrote:"Preferred to now Australian boss Darren Lehmann"

Great decision......

In hindsight, it was. Of course there's no guarantee that Lehmann would have done as well with SA but appointing a bloke who only is in the job for 6 months doesn't help us too much.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Special One » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Sounds like the movement of Head becoming captain started months ago with Chuck involved as well.
Special One
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:25 am

interesting article on news.com

AN ENGLISH county cricket deal involving SA batsman Mark Cosgrove has emerged as an ingredient in the downfall of former Redbacks skipper Johan Botha.

The Advertiser understands Cosgrove has signed to play with Leicestershire under the county’s new coach and SA teammate Andrew McDonald for the 2015 England season in a move first mooted in October.

But the 30-year-old was forced to sign as a “local” England player by using his British passport because Leicestershire had already filled its overseas quota with Aussie and Victoria bowler Clint McKay.

Any deal has not yet been announced by Leicester.

The move means Cosgrove must forfeit his “local” status in Australian domestic cricket and instead play here as an “overseas” player for the length of his Leicester contract.

It is understood Cosgrove’s local status in Australian cricket would only change when he begins his stint at Leicester. The county season begins in early April.

Botha was signed as Redbacks and Strikers captain in July, 2012 and the South African has filled SA’s “overseas” spot since then.

A Cricket Australia spokesman last night confirmed CA regulations would prohibit Cosgrove and Botha playing in the same team once Cosgrove becomes a “local” for Leicester.

In effect, the South Australian Cricket Association was forced to choose between Botha and Cosgrove beyond this summer.

It is also believed SACA was under pressure from Cricket Australia, who believed Botha was clogging spin bowling and batting spots for young Australian talent.

The South Australian Cricket Assocation was approached for comment yesterday but did not respond.

Botha revealed on Tuesday that he was told during South Australia’s clash with Tasmania in December, before the break for Big Bash League, that he did not have a future with the Redbacks beyond this summer. He has relinquished the captaincy to Travis Head.

Botha, recently granted Australian residency, has stated his intent to continue living in Australia to raise his young family.

He would not qualify for citizenship — which would allow him to play Australian domestic cricket as a local — until midway through 2016.

Cosgrove’s situation only became a possibility in August, 2013, when Cricket Australia loosened its player eligibility rules.

The change allowed Australian-born players to use their dual citizenship to qualify as locals in England and overseas players in Australia. Previous rules excluded Australian-born players from holding overseas status in Australia.

The loosening of the regulation was dubbed the “Robson rule” — named after former Australian under-19 player Sam Robson who held dual citizenship — was designed allow players to feature in both first-class systems.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 am

Interesting.

It kinda makes sense, the bit about Botha holding back talent, he is basically keeping both zampa and kelvin smith out of the side.

Reckon Botha will just play Big bash from now on.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:48 am

Give me Botha over Cossie anyday....not sure about holding back talent, 1 overseas player per shield squad isn't excessive IMO and can add to the comp.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3541 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 am

Dutchy wrote:Give me Botha over Cossie anyday....not sure about holding back talent, 1 overseas player per shield squad isn't excessive IMO and can add to the comp.

Think in SA's case it does when we have Zampa on the list, forces Botha to bat 6 which then limits us getting game time into Kelvin Smith or Alex Ross and Adam Zampa.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:57 am

I wonder about that too, Dutchy.
Although, spinners are so precious a commodity that keeping them out of FC cricket is not a good thing, so I can see the argument from that side.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Grahaml » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 am

Zampa and Smith should be good enough to force their way into the side regardless of whether Botha is in or not. I don't see any reason we can't play 2 spinners and there are plenty of batting spots.

Question for me is whether Cosgrove is good enough to be the sole overseas player. I don't like Botha and his bowling action is dodgy as f#@! but he was a really astute recruit IMHO. Clever bowler, handy batsman and most importantly a strong leader. If he passes on an iota of his toughness to SA cricket then we'll have a far better side for his involvement. I'm just not sure losing that influence to retain an ill disciplined bloke who costs runs in the field and between wickets with an average of 42 is worth it. We ended up picking Cosgrove over Klinger, now we're picking Cosgrove over Klinger AND Botha.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Grahaml wrote:Zampa and Smith should be good enough to force their way into the side regardless of whether Botha is in or not. I don't see any reason we can't play 2 spinners and there are plenty of batting spots.

Question for me is whether Cosgrove is good enough to be the sole overseas player. I don't like Botha and his bowling action is dodgy as f#@! but he was a really astute recruit IMHO. Clever bowler, handy batsman and most importantly a strong leader. If he passes on an iota of his toughness to SA cricket then we'll have a far better side for his involvement. I'm just not sure losing that influence to retain an ill disciplined bloke who costs runs in the field and between wickets with an average of 42 is worth it. We ended up picking Cosgrove over Klinger, now we're picking Cosgrove over Klinger AND Botha.

all good points.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Rarely will two spinners be in the one side. Especially on the AO deck.So yes, he is probably keeping a young spinner out the side.

Is he good enough to be picked just as a batsman at 5/6? Probably is, but are we better served picking a kid ahead of him? Again, probably, with the young talent we seem to be fostering here in SA making a case for inclusion at FC level.

Has he proven to be a good recruit for SA? I think the jury will never reach a verdict on this one. Our culture still seems to manifest itself into embarrassing capitulations in all forms of the game. So his impact, whilst positive in the main, hasn't been enough to drag us off the canvas.

Would I make all of these changes to accommodate Cosgrove in the side? No ******* way! He was dropped from Shield cricket earlier this year and has hardly been the main stay of our top order since his return, while claims that upon his return he was fitter than ever were clearly just a matter of a typo.

Seems a strange move. Won't be the last one up there....sadly.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7507 times
Been liked: 10801 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:48 pm

If you have to choose between Botha and Cosgrove as our 'overseas player' I'd take Botha over Cossie any day. If Cossie was good enough he would've already been a first choice selection and if Zampa is good enough he would've been picked as the #1 spinner and Botha could play exclusively as an all-rounder.

I wasn't a fan of bringing in an import to captain our side when we first signed Botha but I think in his 2.5 years with us he's played some pretty good cricket, shown good leadership, is a competitor (the biggest thing the Jellys lack) and has handled himself with absolute class. I've done a complete 180 on the decision to first sign him and IMO he's been screwed over a bit here too in true SACA fashion.

I hope he's able to stay here in Adelaide and either continue to play for the Strikers or when he becomes naturalised play for the Redbacks as a local player.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:57 pm

The only slight "flaw" there Gozu, all-rounders are best when they bowl medium-fast and play as the 4th seamer.

Bar that, I agree with all of your thoughts there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7507 times
Been liked: 10801 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Booney wrote:The only slight "flaw" there Gozu, all-rounders are best when they bowl medium-fast and play as the 4th seamer.

Bar that, I agree with all of your thoughts there.

I thought he was a medium pacer? ;)

The way I look it is could he be picked in our side off his batting, to that I would say yes throw in his bowling for the fun of it and you could play he and Zampa together every time.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59 pm

That makes no sense on green tops though where you might want one spinner and have an extra pace bowler. Even if zampa was a better spinner you would still pick Botha in that case. So I do think he was keeping zampa out of he side a lot
bennymacca
Coach

Sack Chuck

Postby Jim05 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:14 pm

With Botha dropped for this game I cant see him getting back in the side
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:That makes no sense on green tops though where you might want one spinner and have an extra pace bowler. Even if zampa was a better spinner you would still pick Botha in that case. So I do think he was keeping zampa out of he side a lot

I never understood the 'Shane Warne kept Stuart MacGill out of the Test side' stuff. If Zampa was deemed good enough he would be in there.
Gozu
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket