Ben Cousins

Talk on the national game

Re: Ben Cousins

Postby JK » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 am

Gozu wrote:However the big difference between him and the local junkie is that he had millions of dollars and a shitload of people trying to help him yet still blew the money (I doubt he's actually broke his parents/lawyers would've tied up some of it) and spat in the faces of all those that tried to help him.

Sometimes the more money at hand isnt a blessing at all. It's like the drugs in schools public v private debate that many have. At the end of the day there's a raft of reasons why people use drugs - Many are able to experiment with them socially and then just walk away from them, but for others it's not so easy. I understand those taking drugs are solely responsible for that, but I still sympathise with those that become a slave to them.

Having seen a few too many times friends throw their life away (or almost do so) because they can't break their addiction, is seriously gut-wrenching. Hopefully BC can get free of the hold the pipe has over him, but as others have said, support networks can only do so much - It's the individual that has to walk that hardest mile on their own.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:38 am

JK wrote:
Gozu wrote:However the big difference between him and the local junkie is that he had millions of dollars and a shitload of people trying to help him yet still blew the money (I doubt he's actually broke his parents/lawyers would've tied up some of it) and spat in the faces of all those that tried to help him.

Sometimes the more money at hand isnt a blessing at all. It's like the drugs in schools public v private debate that many have. At the end of the day there's a raft of reasons why people use drugs - Many are able to experiment with them socially and then just walk away from them, but for others it's not so easy. I understand those taking drugs are solely responsible for that, but I still sympathise with those that become a slave to them.

Having seen a few too many times friends throw their life away (or almost do so) because they can't break their addiction, is seriously gut-wrenching. Hopefully BC can get free of the hold the pipe has over him, but as others have said, support networks can only do so much - It's the individual that has to walk that hardest mile on their own.

100% Agree.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:19 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Booney wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:I have lost any remorse or feelings for the bloke. What a waste of life he has decided to throw away. If I had a glimmer of talent that he possessed to play footy and get where he was I would welcome it. But to then through his own choices throw that all the way because of drugs. Well he's a total loser. Great player of the game. Total loser as a person.

So because you're a spud you have no sympathy for him?

I wonder if the people on here who degrade him have empathy for anyone else who has been destroyed by drugs. He's a public figure so the publicity is higher surrounding his case but there's people out there is similar or worse predicaments than he is that we never hear of.

So much of his case could be used in a positive manner to educate people, use it to teach your children and friends children that drugs don't discriminate.

I have seen personally what drugs can do to a person and others around them. It's a personal choice to take drugs. We are all educated on the side effects and addiction when it comes to drugs. So yes, I have no sympathy to anyone that willingly decides to take drugs and then cry for help after so many attempts have been offered to help them battle their addiction. In my opinion, Ben has made his bed. Only he can get out of it. I am no spud by the way.

Since when has he cried for help. I have not seen one bit of footage that he has cried for help. He was actually thankful for the lift by the journalist yesterday and told her of his battle. He actually was grateful as he believed he would spend XMAS in jail. He wants to be a good father which is great to hear. Hopefully he can get himself right and do it.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am

His footy career, fame and money has had a big role to play in all this and should be a learning for all current day footballers. He has never lived in the real world with a real job and real troubles that you need to work through. He was given everything, then footy stopped and all that was left was drugs to get the high that footy gave him.

I know it more complicated than that, but they need to work out a way to keep these kids grounded.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3493 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:
Booney wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:I have lost any remorse or feelings for the bloke. What a waste of life he has decided to throw away. If I had a glimmer of talent that he possessed to play footy and get where he was I would welcome it. But to then through his own choices throw that all the way because of drugs. Well he's a total loser. Great player of the game. Total loser as a person.

I wonder if the people on here who degrade him have empathy for anyone else who has been destroyed by drugs. He's a public figure so the publicity is higher surrounding his case but there's people out there is similar or worse predicaments than he is that we never hear of.

So much of his case could be used in a positive manner to educate people, use it to teach your children and friends children that drugs don't discriminate.

I have seen personally what drugs can do to a person and others around them. It's a personal choice to take drugs. We are all educated on the side effects and addiction when it comes to drugs. So yes, I have no sympathy to anyone that willingly decides to take drugs and then cry for help after so many attempts have been offered to help them battle their addiction. In my opinion, Ben has made his bed. Only he can get out of it. I am no spud by the way.

Since when has he cried for help. I have not seen one bit of footage that he has cried for help. He was actually thankful for the lift by the journalist yesterday and told her of his battle. He actually was grateful as he believed he would spend XMAS in jail. He wants to be a good father which is great to hear. Hopefully he can get himself right and do it.

What you don't call his "Massive" interview with Channel 9 wasn't a big call out for help?? How many people watched that interview, felt sorry for him and gave him another chance? And what did he do with it? Spent the money on more drugs to drive his addiction. By my eyes he is always crying for help with all the trouble he is getting himself into.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:38 pm

time for tough penalties on drug dealers
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1432 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Right now he needs a strong support network of family and friends.

Having been the family or friend on more than a few occasions in situations like these sometimes it's hard to give them the support they need especially when it could hurt your own work and family especially kids. I have a mate right now who I would love to help but me having my kids makes it hard as I can't have him around while my kids are there.

I do feel for Ben right now, he probably wants help from his mates but a lot of his mates would have to be very wary of being so close to a highly publicised situation
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:30 pm

whufc wrote:Right now he needs a strong support network of family and friends.

Having been the family or friend on more than a few occasions in situations like these sometimes it's hard to give them the support they need especially when it could hurt your own work and family especially kids. I have a mate right now who I would love to help but me having my kids makes it hard as I can't have him around while my kids are there.

I do feel for Ben right now, he probably wants help from his mates but a lot of his mates would have to be very wary of being so close to a highly publicised situation

Like I said before, the support network is always handy but they can't make him quit. It's purely up to Ben now
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:His footy career, fame and money has had a big role to play in all this and should be a learning for all current day footballers. He has never lived in the real world with a real job and real troubles that you need to work through. He was given everything, then footy stopped and all that was left was drugs to get the high that footy gave him.

I know it more complicated than that, but they need to work out a way to keep these kids grounded.

Plenty of other footballers haven't needed drugs after football life though either.

We all wish Ben the best recovery possible coz there is a 3 year old and a 5 year old that really need him in their life.

I don't like the guy for what he has put his family through but I still want the best for him like most people.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:29 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:His footy career, fame and money has had a big role to play in all this and should be a learning for all current day footballers. He has never lived in the real world with a real job and real troubles that you need to work through. He was given everything, then footy stopped and all that was left was drugs to get the high that footy gave him.

Plenty of other footballers haven't needed drugs after football life though either.

We all wish Ben the best recovery possible coz there is a 3 year old and a 5 year old that really need him in their life.

I don't like the guy for what he has put his family through but I still want the best for him like most people.

His kids should of been his number 1 priority to get off the gear. If that isn't the case then he's just another dead beat druggy. I have kids and there is no way I would ever put them through what he is doing. Its a real shame that they have to look up to a father who cares more about drugs than his own flesh and blood. And he's not the only one. There are thousands of men and women who are doing the same. No excuse and no care.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Booney wrote:

There is a difference between sympathy and empathy.
Ben doesn't deserve either IMO but his family certainly do.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I said after he retired that he'd be dead by the time he was 40. Unfortunately he's on that path. I REALLY HOPE I'M WRONG.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby cracka » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:45 am

I thought the death of Mainwairing would have been a wake up call
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby hollywood7477 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:29 am

AFL makes pledge to fund drug rehabilitation for Ben Cousins

EXCLUSIVE

THE AFL has made an unprecedented pledge to fund a drug rehabilitation program for fallen Brownlow Medallist Ben Cousins.

A rollcall of influential and business figures have lined up to offer help to Cousins, who revealed he is “living out of a backpack” this week in an interview with News Corp.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has told Cousins’ father the AFL would bankroll any anti-drug program or rehab facility which helped drag the 38-year-old out of his downward spiral.

McLachlan refused to comment on the conversation last night but it is understood the AFL believes it has an obligation to help one of its greatest stars.

That offer was made several months ago by McLachlan directly to Bryan Cousins and remains open-ended.

But the challenge remains in convincing him to attend a rehab facility given he has quickly relapsed after trips to rehabilitation centres in the past.

“The AFL has made clear they are there to help Ben, and if he can get to rehab they have said they have put aside money to support him,” a source close to the family said.

Kim Ledger, the father of the late actor Heath, said he has also reached out to the Cousins family in the battle to save Ben.

Ben Cousins has confessed he’s living out of a backpack and has lost five investment properties. Picture: Danella Bevis The West Australian
A decade after helping lead the West Coast Eagles to a premiership, Cousins has spiralled into drug addiction and lost most of his fortune, including five properties.

Concerns have been building for Cousins, who spent two nights in custody this week for breaching a domestic violence order held by his ex partner.

He is due to face court again next week on separate charges, and told Armadale Magistrates Court on Wednesday that he believed he could spend Christmas in jail.

Cousins’ father, a former Geelong rover, has dedicated much of the past decade to helping his oldest son, who has admitted to regularly using drugs including ice, cocaine and pills.

Cousins’ battle with drugs has been widely publicised and he spoke at length about his drug use in his 2010 autobiography and a documentary in the same year.

“We have been trying to support the family all the way through, because they are friends of ours,” Kim Ledger told News Corp.

“At one point Heath tried to help Ben by getting him over to a clinic over that way, he was trying to encourage him to go a particular clinic, but that didn’t eventuate.”

Kim Ledger says he’s been trying to support Ben Cousins’ family throughout his drug addiction.

“It’s often the families surrounding these issues that need more support than the victims,” he said.

“Any addiction is a disease and you have to feel compassion for the individuals that are caught with it, but they need to make a decision to go down a pathway to repatriate themselves, because at the end of the day no matter what you do, the final decision rests with the individual. It’s such a hard, hard situation and I empathise with all families that are caught with it.”

The AFL deregistered Cousins for bringing the game into disrepute in 2007 before he was allowed to return to the game in a two-year stint at Richmond.

The league was criticised this year by West Coast powerbrokers for failing to help the Eagles deal with the drug problems of players during the mid-2000s.

Yet all the offers of help and funding from the AFL and family can only help if Cousins decides to accept them.

The league’s player union has a hardship fund it uses to help the surgeries of past players in need.

The AFL’s own offer of help remains unusual but few players have soared to such highs before plunging to the depths of Cousins.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:08 am

Typical AFL spin, why wouldn;t they have offered to assist prior to now?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:33 am

Dutchy wrote:Typical AFL spin, why wouldn;t they have offered to assist prior to now?

That offer was made several months ago by McLachlan directly to Bryan Cousins and remains open-ended.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:26 pm

JK wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Typical AFL spin, why wouldn;t they have offered to assist prior to now?

Im talking years ago
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:00 pm

But as I understand it Ben doesn't talk to Bryan, so an offer to Bryan isn't going to work.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:00 am

Dutchy wrote:
JK wrote:

Im talking years ago

Why do the AFL need to be responsible for Ben? His decisions weren't made on tge footy field.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Maybe they were made, instead of listening to the coach he had other thoughts during the 1/4time break
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL