Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It was amazing TV last night. Cant imagine the courage for mark eustice to stand up there and lay his skeletons out for everyone like that.

I reckon mike deliberately steered clear of asking him more about his son though, that seemed to be one step too far

Is it on again tonight?

i assume so, not sure. series link ftw
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:54 pm

someone has chucked it up on youtube, not sure how long it will stay up there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkx0k2lYChs

bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It was amazing TV last night. Cant imagine the courage for mark eustice to stand up there and lay his skeletons out for everyone like that.

I reckon mike deliberately steered clear of asking him more about his son though, that seemed to be one step too far

Is it on again tonight?

i assume so, not sure. series link ftw

1:30am or in half an hour, I didn't drive to work today, damn.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:35 pm

That was pretty tough to watch, can only imagine how hard it was for him to sit there and talk about it :(
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Wow!!! Gutsy bloke.
I only this current chapter in the Ben Cousins story ends as well as this bloke.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:38 am

tigerpie wrote:Wow!!! Gutsy bloke.
I only this current chapter in the Ben Cousins story ends as well as this bloke.

I'd hardly say it's ended well for the guy, no disrespect but his job, his life and the obvious ramifications his addictions have had on him are everlasting.

I do have my concerns for Ben, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong with my predictions on his final chapter.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:35 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I'd hardly say it's ended well for the guy, no disrespect but his job, his life and the obvious ramifications his addictions have had on him are everlasting.

I do have my concerns for Ben, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong with my predictions on his final chapter.

yeah, 9 years clean and he still only just has a crappy woolworths job, and doesnt have contact with his kid. Would still say thats not a great situation.

But credit to him, he looks like he knows this and is going in the right direction.

Makes you think about judging people, especially on forums etc, you would rarely know all of their circumstances
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 am

bennymacca wrote:
yeah, 9 years clean and he still only just has a crappy woolworths job, and doesnt have contact with his kid. Would still say thats not a great situation.

But credit to him, he looks like he knows this and is going in the right direction.

Makes you think about judging people, especially on forums etc, you would rarely know all of their circumstances

Yeah mate, everyone has their own story and the higher you get, the further you can fall.

It was only 2 years ago that I was at a crossroads and felt everything just wasn't worth it and I had no one to turn to, I was fortunate enough to be able to push through it, it took months of staring at a blank ceiling wondering whether I'd made the right decisions or not.

I must say, it does take a fair set to get on such a show and put it all out there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby stun72 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 pm

I was never a fan of Greg Williams - maybe because he didn't play for the Hawks but I have a new admiration for him and his wife after watching on Monday night. They did a power of work to assist when he needed it.
What a great game footy is not only for the game but the friendships that are made from it.
stun72
Under 16s

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby JK » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Not an Open Mike topic as such, but another that's gut wrenching to watch is Neale Daniher .. The fact that he's a ripper bloke who still smiles and laughs just makes it even harder to see the effects of his affliction, and know what else is in store for him. :(
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:31 pm

JK wrote:Not an Open Mike topic as such, but another that's gut wrenching to watch is Neale Daniher .. The fact that he's a ripper bloke who still smiles and laughs just makes it even harder to see the effects of his affliction, and know what else is in store for him. :(

I may have been confusing things as I was only half watching at the time but I remember them saying something about possibly having him on as a guest soon
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:Not an Open Mike topic as such, but another that's gut wrenching to watch is Neale Daniher .. The fact that he's a ripper bloke who still smiles and laughs just makes it even harder to see the effects of his affliction, and know what else is in store for him. :(

I may have been confusing things as I was only half watching at the time but I remember them saying something about possibly having him on as a guest soon

They might have mate, I only caught the tail end of it
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't want this to come across as callous, but they'll have to do it bloody soon. The poor bloke won't be able to speak soon.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I don't want this to come across as callous, but they'll have to do it bloody soon. The poor bloke won't be able to speak soon.

His attitude in the face of the ultimate adversity is amazing, isn't it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm

stun72 wrote:I was never a fan of Greg Williams - maybe because he didn't play for the Hawks but I have a new admiration for him and his wife after watching on Monday night. They did a power of work to assist when he needed it.
What a great game footy is not only for the game but the friendships that are made from it.

Very much the same, Eustace must have been a ripping bloke, to have help from so many different angles when it would have been easier to wipe their hands with him as society does so often when someone becomes somewhat derailed.

Losing a friend when I was 19 still haunts me knowing I could've done more for him, whether it would've prevented the inevitable will never be known but it certainly has made me more aware of the warning signs within others.

I'm fortunate enough to have the ability that allows others to confide in me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I don't want this to come across as callous, but they'll have to do it bloody soon. The poor bloke won't be able to speak soon.

It's a valid comment, I saw him addressing Melbourne pre-game against the Bulldogs, the hairs on the back of my neck were well and truly on end.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:15 pm

In answer to Booney, what a champ. Even when he was going through the rough times at Melbourne he managed a smile, so it's no surprise he can now. Remarkable.

LM, sure did have that effect.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah his life isn't great but way better than the alternative which is permanent.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote: Losing a friend when I was 19 still haunts me knowing I could've done more for him, whether it would've prevented the inevitable will never be known but it certainly has made me more aware of the warning signs within others.

I'm pretty certain I know who you're talking about, LM. His resting place is not far from my grandfather's.
I shudder a little walking past it, knowing life could have been so much different for him.

As for doing more...I've come to know you could do more, but it probably wouldn't have changed anything.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote: Losing a friend when I was 19 still haunts me knowing I could've done more for him, whether it would've prevented the inevitable will never be known but it certainly has made me more aware of the warning signs within others.

I'm pretty certain I know who you're talking about, LM. His resting place is not far from my grandfather's.
I shudder a little walking past it, knowing life could have been so much different for him.

As for doing more...I've come to know you could do more, but it probably wouldn't have changed anything.

Yeah mate, I watched him go from an honest half back flanker in the 15's to a goal kicking freak in the A grade pretty much overnight and then there was one night when something took over his body and mind, I still see him sitting in my passenger seat as I drove him home one last time.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL