Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Open Mike

Postby JK » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Anyone been watching Mike Sheehan's interviews with some of footballs bigger names?

Personally I love these interviews, thought the one with Aker this week was fascinating.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Open Mike

Postby Mr66 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I've had a slight change of opinion of Akermanis after watching.
If what he says is true about the Bulldogs playing group confronting him, then
that is a classic case of bullying.
Aker should have told them that until they won a flag, the Western Bulldogs shouldn't
go around lecturing people.
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby RustyCage » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Mr66 wrote:If what he says is true about the Bulldogs playing group confronting him, then
that is a classic case of bullying.

That part of the story is something WB players and coaches have never denied happening, so i'd say it is true. Wouldn't expect much less from them too, some clubs are constantly mediocre for a reason.

Loving this show too, the one with Greg Williams just showed how much of a knob he is.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RustyCage » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Tonight there is an extended version of Open Mike showing the whole Aker interview.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:16 pm

I really enjoyed the Aker interview but think alot of it is about Aker trying to change his image to be able to get another job in the media as he openely admitted he was struggling to find work.

Also a few times he answered as simply not knowing why he did what he did surely a man of his intelligence (he comes across blokey but definatly not dumb) would know why he repeated the same mistakes so often. I though Mike Sheehan let him off a bit lightly with that which gave me the impression alot of this is about Akers publicity.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby dedja » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:07 pm

JK wrote:Personally I love these interviews, thought the one with Aker this week was fascinating.

This ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby teaoby » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:03 pm

Brilliant viewing.

couple of points: it really shows why the WB are a mediocre club. you bring a proven winner into the club, albeit a bit of a loose cannon and you make him conform to your "losing" ways..... enough said.

i think mike was a little easy on him on the Gay players articles because he knows Aker got screwed! the age changed his words then didn't check it back with him or the WB's

would love to hear a interview with Brisbane people to see if half the comments he made were true.
beards dont kill people, people with beards kill people
teaoby
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Yeah the second version was great, his comments about the WB do show what a joke they are. Laughed my head off at Adam Cooneys comments, and interesting to hear what he thinks about Bob Murphy. Loved his comments about what he had given up to play at the Dogs compared to the other players. What a bunch of knobs.

Much like the Jeff Kennett interview i agreed with lots of his views including ones about gay footballers etc etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Sheehan is not the right host for a show like this. His poncy arrogance irritates me so I generally watch a bit then switch channels.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:11 pm

I enjoyed the interview with Aker too.
3 time premiership player, brownlow medal and proven match winner over and over, and even though WB gave him an opportunity to continue his career, $200k is a joke. Even the amount he got at Brisbane demonstrates his commitment to the club and team mates.
He definetly has no self censorship skills and a lot of the time his brains in neutral but mouth in gear, but to be pilloried by a bunch of overated, underachievers at the Bulldogs just shows you where they are at.
His comments about Jim Stynes however were stupid and really pi##ed me and heaps of others off so i have no sympathy for him at all on that.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Interceptor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Watched about 5-10 minutes of Aker, but that's enough, really not interested in the views of a self-absorbed knob, even if he now admits his stuff ups.

In a previous episode Sheehan interviewed Neil Balme, which wasn't bad except his involvement in SA footy was pretty much glossed over by the Vic-centric Sheehan. Some good footage of Balme's playing days at Richmond though (not just the thug acts either).

The Sam Newman interview was pretty good too.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that Aker doesn't think before opening his mouth on many occasions .. It was good though to see him not just acknowledge it, but be the first to bring it up at times.

I had no idea about his personal background and the loss at a young age of his mum, and even his own health issues at a young age.

Also enjoyed his recollection of his onfield battles with Crouchy.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:29 pm

JK wrote:Yeah I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that Aker doesn't think before opening his mouth on many occasions .. It was good though to see him not just acknowledge it, but be the first to bring it up at times.

I had no idea about his personal background and the loss at a young age of his mum, and even his own health issues at a young age.

That showed a slightly different side to him and that is not simply an arrogant w**ker, he really rated Crouch and his ability to find the best way to niggle an opponent, yet when the ball came he was as hard as nails.
whufc
Coach

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 pm

His comments about stynes were taken completely out of context. not great timing, but herald sun, age etc shafted him there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Open Mike

Postby test » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:His comments about stynes were taken completely out of context. not great timing, but herald sun, age etc shafted him there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Timings everything, and he knew what he said would get his name in the headlines. Poor effort on that one.

I love the show, especially the Sam Newman one, enjoy the insight into the past players.

The Leigh Matthews interview last year was memorable for me,

Mike "you were voted the best ever but never won a brownlow, how does that feel"

Lethal "theres a hundred brownlow winners, only one best ever"

Haha he's got a funny sense of humor the great man.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby overloaded » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Aker is playing games in the country and guest speaking at clubs after game for $5k a pop.

Played a game on Eyre Peninsula a couple of weeks ago then he was in the Northern Footy Laegue (Vic) on Saturday.

WADH
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby dedja » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:11 pm

He's not allowed to earn some coin?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby overloaded » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:13 pm

dedja wrote:He's not allowed to earn some coin?

he is a leech
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby TEX07 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 pm

overloaded wrote:Aker is playing games in the country and guest speaking at clubs after game for $5k a pop.

Played a game on Eyre Peninsula a couple of weeks ago then he was in the Northern Footy Laegue (Vic) on Saturday.

WADH

He did the same last year, I was in Mt Gambier last year and he played for a side in thier league. Was well worth the money they said, the amount of people that came out to the game alone paid for it and then some. He said the guys in the team got a huge buzz out of playing with him.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 am

JK wrote:Yeah I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that Aker doesn't think before opening his mouth on many occasions .. It was good though to see him not just acknowledge it, but be the first to bring it up at times.

Also believe his wife's parents are either hearing impaired or dumb, so he hasn't had it easy in life, but you'd also think this would give him some measure of dignity.

I feel a bit sorry for him with things like the Jimmy Stynes and gay footballers furores which were obviously taken out of context, but as the Baron said, timing is everything.

I haven't had the opportunity to see it, regarding the previous posts, what were some of the specific things that the Western Bulldogs players said and did?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL