Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby helicopterking » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Had the same thing happen to a ex commitee member, great club man, 2 years ago. Played every game, dropped him for the GF,after taking 5fa in the last round. The guy that came in, took 4 and made 20odd and they won a flag.He was pissed, angry, but he was first to pre season, and does a lot around the club still.
Tomorrow he gets he gets his chance to play in a GF. Excited is an understatement for the bloke. Deserves every bit of it.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby MW » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:36 pm

I think a lot of sporting people get dropped for GFs, it's one of the things about sport that sucks in that only the premiership players get celebrated.
I got dropped for the GF (which we won) after playing in the semi final. I knew if a certain player got over his knee I was out and after winning the 2nd semi, he had 2 weeks to get it right and he did. But I went back and had another go and was fortunate to play in our next three consecutive GF wins. Year after was a different story...myself and another couple of players got dropped for the finals series and they brought in some higher grade players and we lost the GF. Ironically I think it made us worse!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:26 am

Today my dad lost his battle with cancer. The primary cancer was Pancreatic and it spread to his lungs and stomach. At 61 his life has been tragically cut short. 10 weeks ago he was taken to hospital and now he's gone. He deteriorated rapidly, especially in the last 3 weeks. I had prepared myself for this as I knew it would happen soon but it's still a massive shock.

I was walking back onto the job after lunch today at work and my mum and then my sister rang me telling me I needed to get the hospital as soon as possible.

As a family we were there for about 3 hours saying our goodbyes. There were alot of tears and grieving. He went peacefully as the doctors and nurses kept him pain free and comfortable all this week so that was good.

I'm doing ok, I have to be strong for my mum and my aunt. It's shit for my aunt because she lost her mum when she was 20 (dad was 12), her brother to leukemia before I was born in 1990, my grandfathers second wife, my grandfather in April 2013 and now my dad. And my mum is a strong woman but being her eldest she needs my support.

My brother was very emotional this afternoon which is something I haven't seen of late. He's pulled out of playing footy tomorrow while after permission from mum I have chosen to play. I want to do it for dad in his honour. I've told my close mates about what's happened and got a few messages of support from people I know. I've organised for all of grades to wear black arm bands tomorrow in my dads honour, our president is all over it as he messaged me aswell. My coach has been great, he's a legend. He lives down the street and I was going to go see him but he gave me a call this evening when he found and we had a good chat. He went through the same thing with his mum so he's a good man for advice.

In the end we were there for my dad in his room at the hospital everyday supporting him. Cancer is horrible and the worst part is we can do nothing about it, the deterioration rate is just horrific.

My dad and I went and saw Cold Chisel and Grinspoon on November 17 last year. That will be the way I'll remember my dad as that's the last moment we shared together. We absolutely loved it, Chisel and Grinspoon killed it. It was my first Chisel concert and his last. I keep all my concert tickets and that ticket is now the most important possession I have.

We all must make the most of everyday and enjoy our lives because it can change so quickly.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:28 am

Mate really sorry to hear that. It's great that you're being so strong for your family, but it's probably important to allow yourself to grieve properly too. Thoughts with you and your family bud
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:28 am

Really sorry to read that TDK, all the best to you and your family.

Good luck at with the footy, I'm sure your team mates will get around you and try, for a few hours, make the pain a little easier.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:32 am

Terrible news Davo. Like JK said...dont ever feel like you have to be strong in front of anyone. Youve lost someone too. Thinking of you and your family x
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:10 am

Thoughts are with you and your family TDK.
:(
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:30 am

Brodlach wrote:Really sorry to read that TDK, all the best to you and your family.

Good luck at with the footy, I'm sure your team mates will get around you and try, for a few hours, make the pain a little easier.

Best thing I did was to play sport the next day when I lost a family member. Helped to normalise things plus be around mates and took my mind off things concentrating on the game at hand.

All the best for today and the coming weeks remember the good times TDK.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Failed Creation » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:51 am

I'm sorry for your loss, TDK.

If there's anything you need from the SAFooty community, we'll get around you.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am

heater31 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Really sorry to read that TDK, all the best to you and your family.

Best thing I did was to play sport the next day when I lost a family member. Helped to normalise things plus be around mates and took my mind off things concentrating on the game at hand.

Ah good I'm glad someone has done what I'm planning to do, as you said it helps to normalise things. I'll be ok today, I'll be still out there representing a place I love with a smile on my face in honour of my dad.

Thank you to everyone for their support, I appreciate it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby HH3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Sorry to hear the news mate.

Having lost my Dad already too, I know how you're feeling.

Good luck today mate.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:47 pm

heater31 wrote:

Agreed, I did similar when my nan passed, had a few beers after the game and eased the pain a bit. Sorry for your loss lad.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Well today has been very emotional. We lost in both games today which is so disappointing, Eastern Park were very good today, out muscled us and out played us. We had a large group of guys not turn up today but in terms of what has happened the results don't matter. What matters is the support I have received from all of my family at NH, everyone was so supportive and I'm so greatful for it. I couldn't help but shed a few tears at different stage of today but everyone has been great. You guys on here, my mates and my club have been great today. Thank you all for your thoughts.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Well done TDK
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby valleys07 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:15 am

Sorry for your loss TDK, brave effort to get yourself up to play yesterday, and a shame the boys couldn't get the job done.

Agreed with the sentiments shared on here- don't feel like you cant grieve yourself.

Terrific to see the Maggie's get the win for Sean. Watching the song was pretty powerful, knowing now what was behind it.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:40 am

valleys07 wrote:Sorry for your loss TDK, brave effort to get yourself up to play yesterday, and a shame the boys couldn't get the job done.

Agreed with the sentiments shared on here- don't feel like you cant grieve yourself.

Terrific to see the Maggie's get the win for Sean. Watching the song was pretty powerful, knowing now what was behind it.

Cheers Scotty appreciate it. Was a shame but the way in which everyone honoured my dad was fantastic.

I'm definitely grieving now. It hit me hard when I left Eastern Park yesterday. Been hanging with my little mate Ollie, our dog this morning and he's very good for me. He could tell that things haven't been right and has been cheering us up best he can. We're about to head the beach for our usual Sunday recovery. I've been messing about this morning and he's getting very impatient haha.

And yes the Magpie guys were fantastic. Their supporting Sean very well because he really needs it has this has hit him the hardest. He couldn't do what I did yesterday but what his teammates did for him and us was sensational.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:52 am

Thoughts are with you and your family mate. No rules when it comes to the grief process, as you need to and when you're ready.

Big effort to front up Saturday and play and I'm sure he would be proud of his lad, and himself, knowing he had brought up such a strong character. Dips me lid to you there mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:56 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Well today has been very emotional. We lost in both games today which is so disappointing, Eastern Park were very good today, out muscled us and out played us. We had a large group of guys not turn up today but in terms of what has happened the results don't matter. What matters is the support I have received from all of my family at NH, everyone was so supportive and I'm so greatful for it. I couldn't help but shed a few tears at different stage of today but everyone has been great. You guys on here, my mates and my club have been great today. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Mate, having been through it not long ago I can sympathize with you, there will be an absolute roller coaster ride of emotions for some time over the next few months, even years.
Ride them all out and use them to create the best collage's of your time with him, they can take away physical elements of our lives but we are forever owners of our hearts and memories, we use these to battle through the long process of grieving.

I'm happy enough to send through my phone number if you ever need to let some shit out, it's not an easy journey mate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Well today has been very emotional. We lost in both games today which is so disappointing, Eastern Park were very good today, out muscled us and out played us. We had a large group of guys not turn up today but in terms of what has happened the results don't matter. What matters is the support I have received from all of my family at NH, everyone was so supportive and I'm so greatful for it. I couldn't help but shed a few tears at different stage of today but everyone has been great. You guys on here, my mates and my club have been great today. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Mate, having been through it not long ago I can sympathize with you, there will be an absolute roller coaster ride of emotions for some time over the next few months, even years.
Ride them all out and use them to create the best collage's of your time with him, they can take away physical elements of our lives but we are forever owners of our hearts and memories, we use these to battle through the long process of grieving.

I'm happy enough to send through my phone number if you ever need to let some shit out, it's not an easy journey mate.

Thanks LM appreciate it. My brother, sister and I are currently going through our photo albums picking out photos for the funeral. So many classic photos it's a good laugh. So many good memories.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:05 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Thanks LM appreciate it. My brother, sister and I are currently going through our photo albums picking out photos for the funeral. So many classic photos it's a good laugh. So many good memories.

It galvanized the relationship between my brother, sister and myself.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion