6%
Angle Vale
16%
Flinders Uni
9%

Total votes : 101

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2013

Postby happilyretired » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:11 pm

I see Smithfield FC have posted this on their Facebook page this afternoon..(hopefully its posts ok as i am copy and pasting)

Notice of complaint

Att: Gino Capogreco, Grant Goodall and SAAFL board members.

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to you on behalf of the Smithfield Football Club in relation to the recent events that have occurred involving our club being suspended for the remainder of the 2013 season and possible non admittance in the 2014 season.
We as a club wish to express our serious concerns over our... treatment and the processes followed by SAAFL in handling this particular case which stemmed from alleged incidents during our game against Flinders Park, and the tribunal hearing that followed. It is our belief that SAAFL have not followed their own due process in firstly laying charges against our players without any report made by an umpire or SAAFL official, without any video evidence being presented, without any witnesses other than the opposition players, without our witness statements being admitted in the hearing, without any injuries being reported by any opposition players and the only evidence given prior to the hearing was a letter of complaint and allegations sent in by the opposition club.
In correspondence received from SAAFL prior to the tribunal hearing states failure to attend the hearing by our players and coach will “affect the sanctions being imposed on your club”. To us this indicates the decision of guilt had already been decided before the tribunal hearing had been held. There was also only notice given of possible charges being laid against individual players and the coach, no indication was given that charges were possibly going to be imposed on the Smithfield Football Club. We have serious concerns over the tribunal process and believe this alone should have been sufficient reason for an appeal through the SAAFL to be granted. This did not happen and our attempts to have an appeal through the SACFL have after nearly five weeks of waiting, have still not resulted in any confirmation of an appeal hearing being granted.
In relation to the penalties imposed on our club, being suspended for the remainder of season 2013 (including finals which we had qualified to play) and deduction of two premiership points, we believe the tribunal have acted excessively without taking into consideration some important factors. Up until the game in question, no Smithfield player had been reported all season. Our club had only one player suspended in the previous three years, this is below the leagues average for the entire competition. To then go straight to a club suspension, especially with the circumstances surrounding the case outlined above, we feel is hugely excessive and unfair. We are also aware of some other clubs offences and the penalties they have received this season, none of these compare similarly to our penalty of the entire football club being removed from the competition.

Our club would also point out the inaccurate comments made by the SAAFL CEO Grant Goodall in the media regarding our club’s record and overall behaviour this season. To quote Mr Goodall’s remarks in the Advertiser article being that “Smithfield players and supporters have been involved in a string of incidents this season.” I would like him to explain to us what he means by this statement as up until the game in question, none of our players had been reported this season at all. As for our supporters, we had the incident during the Ingle Farm night game involving a fight amongst the crowd. As we reported in the explanation the SAAFL requested from us, no Smithfield player, official or member was involved in this incident. The one person arrested by the police that night has no connection to this club. The public comment made by Mr Goodall is, in our opinion, not only inaccurate, but damaging to our club and we strongly believe a public apology and correction is in order.
The SAAFL would more than likely know the situation this club was in three years ago in almost having to fold football altogether. But with the current committee we have not only been able to keep the club alive, but rejuvenate it and enable it to look forward to a brighter future. The SAAFL is now denying us this by not guaranteeing our acceptance into the league next year. We cannot advertise or attract coaches, players and support staff if we do not know if we will even be playing. We have met every request by the league so far in that we are prepared to work with the SAAFL to ensure we have the required policies and structures in place to be successful next year. We are not however prepared to accept the treatment we have received this year and this is why we continue to pursue an appeal and seek to have the SAAFL board review the processes and outcomes of the tribunal.

Yours faithfully

Simon Coulthard
President
Smithfield Sports & Social Club
happilyretired
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby happilyretired » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Seems to be quite well written, just wonder if the decision has already been made 'from above' regarding their fate for 2014.

Hypothetically if the league were to ban them from participating in 2014 and they have exhausted all appeal processes what would that do to their club as a whole? would it be a nail in the coffin or would they cop a 1 year ban and reapply for 2015?
happilyretired
Rookie

Postby double-blue » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 pm

I've never known fighting fire with fire to work, let's see how that one plays out
double-blue

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby happilyretired » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Also congratulations to Ingle Farm and also Angle Vale on their promotion but of course IF for their flag.. Well done to all involved. You now have that special bond together forever and thats something that nobody can take away from you.

I know there is another thread on the forum about the lack of medal presentations after the game and then also discussion on this thread about that final siren feeling not being able to play out - i do feel for IF and the players/supporters of the club. Disapointing that both of these were unable to occur, but that doesnt take away the previous 9 months work on and off field (this year) that goes into premiership win, very much deserved reward for hard work and effort.

Best of luck to both of you next year, heading out to your home grounds will be a formidable task for any side and i wish you well
happilyretired
Rookie

Postby DO IT DO IT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

The Smithfield Football Club have got to be kidding. They cannot seriously say that Smithfield didn't on numerous occasions do things that have no place on or off the football field or in society for that matter. If you think you are totally innocent of any other issues other than the 2 stated, well your club is along way away from rectifying the culture of your club.
Sick and tired of the woo is me attitude of Smithfield.I excuse the coach on this cause he did his best to curb it but violence and intimidation was alive and well at Smithfield all season.
Many a player and club is happy to see the back end of this club. Hopefully it will be for a long time.
DO IT DO IT
Mini-League

Been liked: 7 times

Postby thrilling finish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:23 pm

DO IT DO IT wrote:The Smithfield Football Club have got to be kidding. They cannot seriously say that Smithfield didn't on numerous occasions do things that have no place on or off the football field or in society for that matter. If you think you are totally innocent of any other issues other than the 2 stated, well your club is along way away from rectifying the culture of your club.
Sick and tired of the woo is me attitude of Smithfield.I excuse the coach on this cause he did his best to curb it but violence and intimidation was alive and well at Smithfield all season.
Many a player and club is happy to see the back end of this club. Hopefully it will be for a long time.

I suppose that's why not a single Smithfield player was reported all season by the umpires :roll:
thrilling finish
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby double-blue » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:28 pm

thrilling finish wrote:
DO IT DO IT wrote:The Smithfield Football Club have got to be kidding. They cannot seriously say that Smithfield didn't on numerous occasions do things that have no place on or off the football field or in society for that matter. If you think you are totally innocent of any other issues other than the 2 stated, well your club is along way away from rectifying the culture of your club.

I suppose that's why not a single Smithfield player was reported all season by the umpires :roll:

If you've seen the umpires in Div 7 you'd know they don't exactly see everything that goes on
double-blue

Postby Jugs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:31 pm

double-blue wrote:
thrilling finish wrote:

If you've seen the umpires in Div 7 you'd know they don't exactly see everything that goes on

Seen the umpires and Smithfield. If I was an umpire the threats from players and then crowd would be enough for me not to place a report. The umpires livelyhood or reporting a thug, easy decision
Jugs
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Blues Football Club

Postby thrilling finish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 pm

double-blue wrote:
thrilling finish wrote:

They have more idea than the league does it would appear.
thrilling finish
Mini-League

Postby thrilling finish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Jugs wrote:Seen the umpires and Smithfield. If I was an umpire the threats from players and then crowd would be enough for me not to place a report. The umpires livelyhood or reporting a thug, easy decision

What are you trying to say?
thrilling finish
Mini-League

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:44 pm

happilyretired wrote:I see Smithfield FC have posted this on their Facebook page this afternoon..(hopefully its posts ok as i am copy and pasting)

Notice of complaint

Att: Gino Capogreco, Grant Goodall and SAAFL board members.

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to you on behalf of the Smithfield Football Club in relation to the recent events that have occurred involving our club being suspended for the remainder of the 2013 season and possible non admittance in the 2014 season.
We as a club wish to express our serious concerns over our... treatment and the processes followed by SAAFL in handling this particular case which stemmed from alleged incidents during our game against Flinders Park, and the tribunal hearing that followed. It is our belief that SAAFL have not followed their own due processDid you read the rules and check that they DON'T have the power to do this? in firstly laying charges against our players without any report made by an umpire or SAAFL official, without any video evidence being presented, without any witnesses other than the opposition players, without our witness statements being admitted in the hearing, without any injuries being reported by any opposition players and the only evidence given prior to the hearing was a letter of complaint and allegations sent in by the opposition club. Dot points would've been better and clearer, more consise and easy to follow
In correspondence received from SAAFL prior to the tribunal hearing states failure to attend the hearing by our players and coach will “affect the sanctions being imposed on your club”. To us this indicates the decision of guilt had already been decided before the tribunal hearing had been held. This is a common policy amongst all sports/judicial systems - even court of law has this by-lawThere was also only notice given of possible charges being laid against individual players and the coach, no indication was given that charges were possibly going to be imposed on the Smithfield Football Club. We have serious concerns over the tribunal process and believe this alone should have been sufficient reason for an appeal through the SAAFL to be granted. Again check the rules and regulations as to the criteria required for an appeal to be granted, i thought (and could be wrong) that new evidence needed to be presented?This did not happen and our attempts to have an appeal through the SACFL have after nearly five weeks of waiting, have still not resulted in any confirmation of an appeal hearing being granted.
In relation to the penalties imposed on our club, being suspended for the remainder of season 2013 (including finals which we had qualified to play) and deduction of two premiership points, we believe the tribunal have acted excessively without taking into consideration some important factors. Up until the game in question, no Smithfield player had been reported all season. How many Yellow/Red cards? (Not a loaded question, just curious)Our club had only one player suspended in the previous three years, this is below the leagues average for the entire competition. That doesn't mean the club is well behaved, could be they are good at getting away with their infringements ;) What's to say a SAAFL exec didn't turn up and watch a couple of games and make some observationsTo then go straight to a club suspension, especially with the circumstances surrounding the case outlined above, we feel is hugely excessive and unfair. We are also aware of some other clubs offences and the penalties they have received this season, none of these compare similarly to our penalty of the entire football club being removed from the competition.It is harsh, and big kick in the guts, Smithfield were definately a contender.

Our club would also point out the inaccurate comments made by the SAAFL CEO Grant Goodall in the media regarding our club’s record and overall behaviour this season. To quote Mr Goodall’s remarks in the Advertiser article being that “Smithfield players and supporters have been involved in a string of incidents this season.” I would like him to explain to us what he means by this statement as up until the game in question, none of our players had been reported this season at all. As for our supporters, we had the incident during the Ingle Farm night game involving a fight amongst the crowd. As we reported in the explanation the SAAFL requested from us, no Smithfield player, official or member was involved in this incident. The one person arrested by the police that night has no connection to this club. The public comment made by Mr Goodall is, in our opinion, not only inaccurate, but damaging to our club and we strongly believe a public apology and correction is in order. Disagree - supporters are still responsibility to some degree of the club and do still reflect on them. Wasn't there also an incident at Angle Vale earlier in the season?
The SAAFL would more than likely know the situation this club was in three years ago in almost having to fold football altogether. But with the current committee we have not only been able to keep the club alive, but rejuvenate it and enable it to look forward to a brighter future. The SAAFL is now denying us this by not guaranteeing our acceptance into the league next year. We cannot advertise or attract coaches, players and support staff if we do not know if we will even be playing. We have met every request by the league so far in that we are prepared to work with the SAAFL to ensure we have the required policies and structures in place to be successful next year. We are not however prepared to accept the treatment we have received this year and this is why we continue to pursue an appeal and seek to have the SAAFL board review the processes and outcomes of the tribunal.

Yours faithfully

Simon Coulthard
President
Smithfield Sports & Social Club
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm not trying to be or come across as "anti-smithfield" I just think they need to be very cautious and thorough in articulating what they send in, and as best they can leave emotions/personal views out of it and try to look at it from all angles if that makes sense.

Personally wish them the best of luck, no doubt have some ability in their playing group and obviously some good people around the club, it'll be tough though.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Jugs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:58 pm

thrilling finish wrote:
Jugs wrote:Seen the umpires and Smithfield. If I was an umpire the threats from players and then crowd would be enough for me not to place a report. The umpires livelyhood or reporting a thug, easy decision

What are you trying to say?

Witnessed thuggery, umpires saw it too. Not worth making a report with the intimidation from players or possible later violence from the reptiles on the sidelines.
Jugs
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Blues Football Club

Postby great catch » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 pm

YOU ARE A COMPLETE JOKE, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED
great catch
Rookie

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:01 pm

so i see people saying in here smithfield had no reports and others say cause umpires to scared answer me this how would a club get rid of the problem if the umpires dont report the club wouldnt know anything bad is going on...and yes not all people on the committee etc can make it to all games so unless reports are made then smithfield have a valid arguement that there players have done nothing wrong
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby double-blue » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:so i see people saying in here smithfield had no reports and others say cause umpires to scared answer me this how would a club get rid of the problem if the umpires dont report the club wouldnt know anything bad is going on...and yes not all people on the committee etc can make it to all games so unless reports are made then smithfield have a valid arguement that there players have done nothing wrong

If the committee doesn't know what happens on game day then that in itself is a reflection on the mis-management of the club. Not too dissmilar to the Essendon situation, it's not good enough to say 'We don't know what goes on'
double-blue

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:so i see people saying in here smithfield had no reports and others say cause umpires to scared answer me this how would a club get rid of the problem if the umpires dont report the club wouldnt know anything bad is going on...and yes not all people on the committee etc can make it to all games so unless reports are made then smithfield have a valid arguement that there players have done nothing wrong

Reports are not the only avenue, clubs can be investigated - and it can be done without their knowledge - often that's how people/clubs are caught out.

With Ingle Farm when we had our incident last year at our ground, no official report was lodged but the league investigated the incident and the club was in a very precarious position. If it had not been for the quick proactive decisions and strategies implemented before the SAAFL contacted the club then we may well have received the same fate as Smithfield, as it was we were still sanctioned and some very tough/strict requirements placed.

Over the remaining weeks the SAAFL would unknowingly to us show up at games especially our home games and check up that we were following through with what we had put in place e.g security, dry zones, club imposed suspensions for players carded and also check on the crowd behaviour.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar has happened to Smithfield this season without them knowing and the SAAFL have observed for themselves incidents etc.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:16 pm

double-blue wrote:If the committee doesn't know what happens on game day then that in itself is a reflection on the mis-management of the club. Not too dissmilar to the Essendon situation, it's not good enough to say 'We don't know what goes on'

Cooorrect
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby The Cows » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 pm

great catch wrote:

YOU ARE A COMPLETE JOKE, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED

I have been a staunch supporter of what Smithfield had done up until the day the "incidents" happened.
I can't believe some people think it is ok to;
Kick in an oppositions door at half time.
Run the length of the field to king hit someone.
Intimidate kids that were goal umpiring and threatening them with violence.
Hold a player down while another player hits him.
It was a dark day, and yes the umpires weren't going to lay a report. Hell they were to scared to go in their own change rooms at half time.
Don't forget this is our C grade team. The team we use to bring our juniors through to get a taste of good quality senior footy before they move to B grade and higher. Would you like to expose your 16 or 17 year old lad to this rubbish.
Wonder why kids are playing basketball, soccer etc!!!?!
The Cows
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby old fullback » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Milky Bar Kid did you see Ingle Farm's Bryant running through half forward in the 1st qtr with only one to beat,the supporters were waiting for a nice side step,running bounce and goal,but while the opposition player was 3ft off the ground he smothered it? That could've been goal of the year. ;)
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League