Port Adelaide 2013

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2013

Postby nuggety goodness » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Do you reckon commentators will bring up the last time they met Geelong in a final?
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:Do you reckon commentators will bring up the last time they met Geelong in a final?

119 times my guess.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 pm

Season over for the Bogans now. Mad Monday to begin, will a dwarf get set on fire?????? :drinkers: :axe: :axe:
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby valleys07 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Season over for the Bogans now. Mad Monday to begin, will a dwarf get set on fire?????? :drinkers: :axe: :axe:

Yeah got what we deserved in the end I think. Still- 1 week longer than your mob, for experience within a young group- Ill take that.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Does tonights effort do enough to stop every man and his dog raggin on Port about that '07 GF v Geelong?

Must say bit shocked that Chris Scott gave pretty much no credit to Port tonight in his press conference instead more about Geelong playing the worst footy they have played all year :shock:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Does tonights effort do enough to stop every man and his dog raggin on Port about that '07 GF v Geelong?

Must say bit shocked that Chris Scott gave pretty much no credit to Port tonight in his press conference instead more about Geelong playing the worst footy they have played all year :shock:

That will never stop mate. I'm just (impatiently) waiting for the day we beat this side. It wont in anyway vindicate that day, but will finally put the ghosts to rest internally and give us the confidence we can beat a genuine beast of a side in this comp. However we will forever be reminded about it from the minority of crows fans who will continue to harp on about it because 1998 is such a ****ing long time ago....

Oh and the cat fans- but I can wear it from them, because, you know.....they were the side that actually beat us that day.. :roll:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Does tonights effort do enough to stop every man and his dog raggin on Port about that '07 GF v Geelong?

Probably will always be a talking point until the record is broken.
Unfortunately for Port I cant see a margin like that ever being beaten
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby GWW » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:28 am

valleys07 wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Season over for the Bogans now. Mad Monday to begin, will a dwarf get set on fire?????? :drinkers: :axe: :axe:

Yeah got what we deserved in the end I think. Still- 1 week longer than your mob, for experience within a young group- Ill take that.

We clearly need more upstanding citizens like Dustin Martin and Jake King.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby JK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:04 am

valleys07 wrote:

That will never stop mate. I'm just (impatiently) waiting for the day we beat this side. It wont in anyway vindicate that day, but will finally put the ghosts to rest internally and give us the confidence we can beat a genuine beast of a side in this comp. However we will forever be reminded about it from the minority of crows fans who will continue to harp on about it because 1998 is such a ****ing long time ago....

Oh and the cat fans- but I can wear it from them, because, you know.....they were the side that actually beat us that day.. :roll:

Lol .. God Bless Beer huh? ;-)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Bum Crack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 am

Exciting times ahead if youre a power supporter. They did so well and i have so much respect for the for what tgey have done this year. You guys should be very proud and very excited for whats about to come because im certain youre in for a hell of a ride.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby valleys07 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:57 am

JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Lol .. God Bless Beer huh? ;-)

Not a drop mate- just raw disappointment at missing out on an opportunity to beat a side that has run our dacks up the flagpole for the past 6 years. And i guess a slient rebuttal to my crow chirping mates who dont read this site, because I have nothing to say to their sledging :lol: :lol:

valleys07
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 am

I didn't watch all of the game, but enough to see some very bizarre decisions by the umpire- 2 Geelong players consecutively should have been pinged for holding-the-ball, when the ball eventually spilled out to an unsuspecting Port player, who was gang-tackled (with no prior)- Holding the ball!
It's this lack of consistency with umpires that turns me off the game- sure players make mistakes, but they are made accountable (benched/dropped/given a spray/de-listed even), but not umpires, as they're untouchable.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby the joker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:04 am

Second year blues for hinkley similar too Sando?
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Hazbeen » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 am

the joker wrote:Second year blues for hinkley similar too Sando?

Don't think so, it was injuries and "stars" down on form that stuffed the crows year not Sando
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby hearts on fire » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:12 am

A great turnaround season has come to an end, really happy with our progress this year and thought last nights efforts were great, dissappointed the second half turned out like that, but before the game i didnt like our chances at all, so to challenge them all night was a huge effort.

Just hope we can continue this, right now everyones happy with the turnaround, but we really do need to keep moving forward and can't be happy with this one off good year, can't have a year like the crows did this year, anything less of finals next year would be dissappointing.

Great year though, fingers crossed for next.
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby NO-MERCY » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:14 am

Spot on Punk, the umpires were a liittle suspect at times with some :roll: ??? :roll: decisions.
Port played some great footy in the first half & had Geelong rattled, their run & spread with speed was good but they were unable to sustain that in the second half, i think Geelong's finals experience & wiser heads showed out the end, their pressure in the second half had Port making error after error when in posession.
As for Chris Scott, i think he's an arrogant prick to be honest, how you can't give Port any praise for that effort is beyond me, he looked like he was shitting himself just before half time, i'll give credit where its due & i have above but Port can hold their heads up & be proud of how far they got, in the end it may have been a blessing in disguise they didn't go further, it could of got uglier like 07 but then again who knows?
If Hawthorn smash Geelong next week i'll be waiting to hear what excuse Chris Scott has as to why they didn't play well?
Was it the opposition that didn't allow them to play to their strengths? :roll:
NO-MERCY
Coach

Been liked: 15 times

Postby GWW » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 am

Hazbeen wrote:

Don't think so, it was injuries and "stars" down on form that stuffed the crows year not Sando

It was a combination of factors I think, including Sanderson not having Bailey alongside him for most of the season.

I dont think Port will completely crash next year, but we may not be as fortunate with injuries as we were this year.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:12 am

GWW wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

It was a combination of factors I think, including Sanderson not having Bailey alongside him for most of the season.

I dont think Port will completely crash next year, but we may not be as fortunate with injuries as we were this year.

With 18 teams now the draw has become even more important.
Crows and Roos had good draws last year due to being poor the year before, ditto Port this year.
Crows and Roos finished highish which meant a harder draw this year and a slide down the ladder as they arnt quite there. Port will do the same next year.
I would expect the Roos and Crows to have an easier draw next year and shoot back up the ladder, think the Roos will be that team that jumps from no where to top 4.
Port will be a top 4 challenger in 2015 if it falls to 12th or so next year.
West Coast have also been a beneficiary of this approach in the past.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

Punk Rooster wrote:I didn't watch all of the game, but enough to see some very bizarre decisions by the umpire- 2 Geelong players consecutively should have been pinged for holding-the-ball, when the ball eventually spilled out to an unsuspecting Port player, who was gang-tackled (with no prior)- Holding the ball!
It's this lack of consistency with umpires that turns me off the game- sure players make mistakes, but they are made accountable (benched/dropped/given a spray/de-listed even), but not umpires, as they're untouchable.

yeh, there were some strange ones. As an impartial I thought Port got the rougher end of the pineapple but I don't think it made the difference in the final result.

That one you speak of Punk was bewildering. The Josh Hunt holding the ball I thought was let go a few weeks ago when I saw multiple instances of people dropping the ball like that and it was called play on. Because there are so many opportunities to watch games of football, the inconsistency becomes stark. 20 or 30 years ago, with only the sporadic game on TV and not replayed constantly thru the week made inconsistencies seem invisible to the general public.

I sent a message to my Port mates saying "LET IT GO UMPIRES FFS" because again they seem to want to intervene for no reason other than to over-officiate.

There really needs to be a review done at years' end. Hopefully Evans takes hold of the place and gets rid of Gieschen. I feel sorry for the umpires if this bloke is in charge because he blurs any clear lines that have been set by the rules committee (if any!). Push in the back for example.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby hearts on fire » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:53 am

That Carlile free for holding in the goal square that gifted the cats a goal was an absolute joke and yes it does need to be reviewed, but overall i didn't the umpiring was as bad as some make it out to be last night and the umpiring had no impact on the result.
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL