Port Adelaide 2013

Postby tigerland09 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:55 pm

tigerland09
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Re: RUMOUR - Clarkson to coach Port

Postby Strawb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:43 pm

If they could not get anymore reasons to hate them they go ahead and do this. I am not a Kochie fan and never will be. But will this help Port at all.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Port Power - The Advertiser Rant

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Anyone else getting sick of The Advertiser and their baseless commentary on the new Board for Port Power?
Yesterday it was David Koch and Foley.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-cuts-board-members-david-basheer-and-nick-house/story-e6freco3-1226484829091

Now this rant from the weasel

TELEVISION personality David Koch is to be Port Adelaide's new president.

The Sydney-based financial expert will be revealed as Brett Duncanson's successor at Alberton today when the Power will adopt five new board members - Koch in Sydney, two based in Melbourne including television producer Cos Cardone and one from Adelaide with strong ties to the banking industry.

Former state treasurer Kevin Foley, who is strongly supported by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou, is not expected not be part of the first new refit of the 10-person Power board. Based in Adelaide will be leading corporate lawyer Jamie Restas and former Port Adelaide Magpies player and leading accountant Ross Haslam.

Koch's appointment has been endorsed by the SA Football Commission, the current owners of the Power licence.

A long-standing Port fan, Koch is to be presented at Alberton tomorrow. His placement in Sydney will be challenging considering the pressing demands at the debt-ridden AFL club.

To make way for this new-look board, SANFL-appointed directors Nick House and David Basheer have been asked to resign by the Power.

The other two vacancies are expected to come from the removal of two other SANFL appointees, long-serving director Michael O'Connor and Duncanson, and member-elected director Bruce Abernethy.

Once this new board is in place, Port can then vote on the much-expected appointment of untried coach Leon Cameron as coach.

The Power is meeting Cameron in Melbourne today.

Now he's saying Koch will be President - I assume he's the one tipping it
But what has happened to Foley?
Anyone out there work out WTF Rucci is trying to say?

Former state treasurer Kevin Foley, who is strongly supported by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou, is not expected not be part of the first new refit of the 10-person Power board. Based in Adelaide will be leading corporate lawyer Jamie Restas and former Port Adelaide Magpies player and leading accountant Ross Haslam.

Is he on or not?

Yesterday, he said:
Port chief executive Keith Thomas last night declined to detail the power play.
"We're finalising matters but intend to provide full detail at a press conference on Tuesday," he said

Today he says it will be announced today....................

Oh, for the good old days, when we had the Advertiser to read and The News to clean the BBQ
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Re: Port Power - The Advertiser Rant

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Just heard that Kochy is the new President. A financial guru based in Sydney. Personally I think it's a great idea. You don't have to be Adelaide based to perform that role IMO, especially in the situation Port are in.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Re: Port Adelaide "off season" discussion thread

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 pm

WTF are Port doing? Appointing a President who wont be in Adelaide 95% of the time, going to appoint a 1st time coach who never played in a successful club for 5 years and players are walking out the door every day, at this rate Hitchcock will get retained on the list! :shock:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby GWW » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Yeah its a strange one. I do wonder whether he will be more of a "figurehead" for the club, and the role will essentially be shared by 3 or 4 people. Could work out poorly, or if he can get a few sponsors onboard and stabilise the finances, it could work out ok.

Time will tell.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Pup » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Just heard that Kochy is the new President. A financial guru based in Sydney. Personally I think it's a great idea. You don't have to be Adelaide based to perform that role IMO, especially in the situation Port are in.

You need to be in the state if you are a president of an AFL club especially one in the situation Port is. I am not saying Koschie wont be good for the club but i am with Dutch on this one
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Pup wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:Just heard that Kochy is the new President. A financial guru based in Sydney. Personally I think it's a great idea. You don't have to be Adelaide based to perform that role IMO, especially in the situation Port are in.

You need to be in the state if you are a president of an AFL club especially one in the situation Port is. I am not saying Koschie wont be good for the club but i am with Dutch on this one

Obviously I don't agree. Ports situation is unique. They need someone financially savvy and that person can operate from outside the state.

Kochie can direct the club for the next (say) 2 years in a direction without necessarily needing to be in the state.

A serious question, why do they need to be in the same state? The focus here is "need". I don't disrespect anyone saying he needs to be in the state, because that's normal due process. But Port are in a very very unique situation. I think that warrants thinking outside the box.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 pm

GWW wrote:Yeah its a strange one. I do wonder whether he will be more of a "figurehead" for the club, and the role will essentially be shared by 3 or 4 people. Could work out poorly, or if he can get a few sponsors onboard and stabilise the finances, it could work out ok.

Time will tell.

I think he is a good guy to have on board, gives the club a national profile and has finance smarts, put him on the board for sure but President no.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby dedja » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 pm

Koch is a television personality and a journalist first and foremost ... But a financial whiz???

Don't know the bloke, but does he have any idea how to run a footy club, even though he might be a passionate supporter?

All that plus being based in Sydney with many commercial interests, how can he possiblly do the job?

I suspect Port have got his one horribly wrong but time will tell.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Still no announcement
Jimmy_041
Coach

Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm

dedja wrote:Koch is a television personality and a journalist first and foremost ... But a financial whiz???

Don't know the bloke, but does he have any idea how to run a footy club, even though he might be a passionate supporter?

All that plus being based in Sydney with many commercial interests, how can he possiblly do the job?

I suspect Port have got his one horribly wrong but time will tell.

He was a financial whiz first.

He will surround himself with good football people like all good CEO's do
gadj1976
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

The Lord Jesus Christ couldn't make Port financially secure, let alone a journo and media personality.

Is he replacing KT? :D
Last edited by dedja on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Squids » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Kochie will know the right people.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Koch, excerpt from Wikipedia

Financial journalism

Koch started as a cadet on the business pages of The Australian newspaper before joining BRW soon after its launch in the early 1980s. He was one of the founders of consumer finance journalism in Australia and created Personal Investment magazine, which made him the youngest editor in the Fairfax media group. He then launched Personal Investment magazines in New Zealand and the UK. He produced Britain's first Rich List which started in Money Magazine which he had bought for Fairfax.

In 1988 he launched trade publishing group Australian Financial Press in a joint venture with Fairfax. AFP went on to create My Business magazine, New Accountant and Money Management newspaper.

Today he provides business and financial commentary for several publications, including Pacific Magazines, Yahoo Finance and the Your Money section of News Ltd newspaper. He was formerly associated with Palamedia, a failed[1] media organisation devoted to business and financial news.

Koch was a director of the NSW Small Business Development Corporation Ltd. for eight years after its inception in 1996. As a former business owner and operator and now director of Pinstripe Media Pty Ltd, David speaks regularly at corporate events about small business, finance and investment issues.

He also presents the weekly small business program on the Seven Network, Business Builders, which helps private business owners improve their business. The program is produced by Pinstripe Media and recently aired its 100th episode.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 pm

But he knows SFA how to run a footy club ... might be a slight hindrance if he gets the gig. :D

KT has the runs on the board both on and off the field,
dedja
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 pm

dedja wrote:But he knows SFA how to run a footy club ... might be a slight hindrance if he gets the gig. :D

KT has the runs on the board both on and off the field,

Did I miss something? You don't have to, you surround yourself with people who do. With his financial nous and those around him knowing how to run a club (KT?) he'll be fine - as long as he's not whiteanted by Rucci.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 pm

fair enough ... I actually don't give a rats anyway :D
dedja
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Sensational move if true. @ least he will get the clubs image out in the media which lets be honest is their biggest off field issue because with more image comes more sponsorship.
It's worked for Hawthorn and Collingwood and the bloke is far from a nuff. Could be the smartest move the club has done. My gut instinct tells me brilliant move and well done!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Still not announced - Rucci has 68 minutes left
Jimmy_041
Coach