DRS Farce

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

DRS Farce

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:50 am

Some like it, Most hate.
Personally, i think there's a place for it if it's implemented properly unlike it is now.

Just watching the ODI between the Windies and Pakistan and Darren Bravo is given Not Out after a caught behind appeal by the whole Pakistani team which means very little as usually as only about 1 in 10 of their appeals are close to being out. :roll: Pakistan immediately reviewed the decision. I was surprised that they dont use Hot Spot over there and therefore the decisopn has to be reversed going on the sound and sight of the 3rd umpire viewing the replay.
I was gobsmacked when the decision was overturned and given out based on a faint scratchy type sound as the ball was passing the bat. No deviation was evident.
I thought that for a decision to be overturned that there had to be definitive proof that the original decision was clearly wrong ? How can a faint scratchy sound with no ball deviation be clear proof that the original decision was wrong?
So here we have Hot Spot being used in some countries.
Hot Spot NOT being used in some countries.
DRS NOT being used in any games involving India.

The inconsistencies from country to country with the DRS is joke but what would one expect with the incompetent ICC supposedly in charge of the game.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Re: DRS Farce

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:57 am

similar result in the second test of the Ashes!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 am

jackpot jim wrote:Some like it, Most hate.
Personally, i think there's a place for it if it's implemented properly unlike it is now.

Just watching the ODI between the Windies and Pakistan and Darren Bravo is given Not Out after a caught behind appeal by the whole Pakistani team which means very little as usually as only about 1 in 10 of their appeals are close to being out. :roll: Pakistan immediately reviewed the decision. I was surprised that they dont use Hot Spot over there and therefore the decisopn has to be reversed going on the sound and sight of the 3rd umpire viewing the replay.
I was gobsmacked when the decision was overturned and given out based on a faint scratchy type sound as the ball was passing the bat. No deviation was evident.
I thought that for a decision to be overturned that there had to be definitive proof that the original decision was clearly wrong ? How can a faint scratchy sound with no ball deviation be clear proof that the original decision was wrong?

The inconsistencies from country to country with the DRS is joke but what would one expect with the incompetent ICC supposedly in charge of the game.

Is the ICC still housed in India?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:39 pm

DRS should only ever be in the Hands of the Umpires. Players should have nothing to do with what is and what is not reviewed. Problem solved and everyone is happy bar the Indians probably :roll: :lol:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:56 pm

heater31 wrote:DRS should only ever be in the Hands of the Umpires. Players should have nothing to do with what is and what is not reviewed. Problem solved and everyone is happy bar the Indians probably :roll: :lol:

Only problem with that is that it would become like the run outs and stumping a where the video review gets used for 99.9% of appeals regardless of how far in or out the batsmen is.

If the umpires were ever in charge there would be seriously no point having them out there and the third umpires just asses every ball
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Sky Pilot wrote: Is the ICC still housed in India?

No

Dubai
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

whufc wrote:
heater31 wrote:DRS should only ever be in the Hands of the Umpires. Players should have nothing to do with what is and what is not reviewed. Problem solved and everyone is happy bar the Indians probably :roll: :lol:

Only problem with that is that it would become like the run outs and stumping a where the video review gets used for 99.9% of appeals regardless of how far in or out the batsmen is.

If the umpires were ever in charge there would be seriously no point having them out there and the third umpires just asses every ball

Is there any point in having them there when they cant get the simplest of decisions right - Aleem Dar and another howler

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby MAY-Z » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm

overall the biggest problem is the users of the system, not the system itself

whilst many people here dont agree, the lbw drs is very good as you know exactly what the outcome will be and how the decision is measured.

the problem with the edges is that there is no defined out/not out judgements, especially when hot spot isnt used/doesnt show something. it can come down to an opinion when there is no obvious defelction, which means the 3rd umpires thinks he knows better than the field umpire.

there is no way that the system should be in the hands of the umpire as then there will be checks for everything just in case.
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby MightyEagles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:53 pm

but it shouldn't be in the hands of the players as they waste it.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:55 pm

The inconsistencies from country to country with the DRS is joke but what would one expect with the incompetent ICC supposedly in charge of the game

As Jason Gillespie said on radio "it should be called the BCCICC"
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby stampy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

the ICC is a farce, all they do is take it up the arse from the indians everyone knows that
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 pm

stampy wrote:the ICC is a farce, all they do is take it up the arse from the indians everyone knows that

The Symonds/Singh incident being a classic example although a piss weak James Sutherland and CA didn't help.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Killing test cricket

FFS
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Its not the technology its the corrupt pricks using it.
A blind man could see that wasnt out, the technology conclusively showed it not out but the third umpire went against technology
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Piss it off now!
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby wycbloods » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 pm

I salute the Indians. They've been right all along. Lets just deal with the umps decisions on the field.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:04 am

Jim05 wrote:Its not the technology its the corrupt pricks using it.
A blind man could see that wasnt out, the technology conclusively showed it not out but the third umpire went against technology

Exactly right, DRS is fine, it's the idiot doing the review that needs to change
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Grahaml » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 am

It's better than it was, but we need some guidelines to help keep it consistent. One game a noise is enough, this time it's not. One game no evidence leads to a decision overturned, this one it's not.

One change we could bring in is to take it from the players. I'm not sure the umpires in the middle are the right ones to take over either, we already see plenty of referrals with run outs, imagine if we referred the 100 or so other decisions there might be in a game.

Instead, we should have a someone or two sit in a booth able to call up hot spot, hawkeye, audio and general replays. With the time it usually takes to get the next ball done or for a player to walk off the ground, the guys in the booth have enough time to decide whether it needs to be looked at. All it needs it to alert the umpires in the middle who can then stop the play. Should keep the game moving and get more decisions right without batsmen worrying about wasting reviews or strategic reviews.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby JK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 am

Two things for me:

1. Stop trying to make it an exact science (when often it will be inconclusive)
2. Re-instate "benefit of the doubt" to the batsman, which is traditionally in line with the principle of the game
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 am

wycbloods wrote:I salute the Indians. They've been right all along. Lets just deal with the umps decisions on the field.

Yep!!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket