ATCA 2013/14.

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA 2013/14.

Postby rod_rooster » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:31 pm

rainbow warrior wrote:Was disappointed all A grade games got called off. Surely at that level the fitness of the blokes should be good enough to have no concerns for their health. Geez I remember Valentines Day 2004 where it was a ridiculous temperature and we all played and were fine just ad a lot of extra drinks breaks and finished later. I can understand the lower grades and juniors etc. where preparation may be off, but A1's to A4's surely not. Anyway just my opinion.

I do however understand it is the lawyers fault for their new age litigate against anything mentality when there is half a sniff of some compensation which has forced the ATCA's hand, I just think it is sad that a summer sport cannot play its game in summery conditions. Was a beautiful day for cricket wasted.

Not everyone playing these grades is doing so as fit physically well prepared players. Lets not forget that there are clubs B grade sides playing in A4. This is not a professional organisation and the Turf rightly have a cut off point. If they make a rule it can't be open to flexibility and as such all cricket was rightly called off. 10-15 years ago i would have been disappointed that games were called off but these days i am pretty glad that they were.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby leftrightout » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Heat rule is clear, is the temp cut off correct? I am sure turf would have consulted with experts to get the 40 and 42 degree cut off.
leftrightout
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby no_remorse28 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Just going off memory and as I said earlier haven't a flinders uni and a para hills player passed away on separate occasions during a game of cricket on very hot days, think the ATCA just have everyone's best interests at heart, and not every a grade player is in great shape, Rocco has man boobs and wears a stomach brace to hide his gut
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby lordrocco18 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Forecasted 43 for pooraka area saturday
Last edited by lordrocco18 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lordrocco18

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby lordrocco18 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm

no_remorse28 wrote:Just going off memory and as I said earlier haven't a flinders uni and a para hills player passed away on separate occasions during a game of cricket on very hot days, think the ATCA just have everyone's best interests at heart, and not every a grade player is in great shape, Rocco has man boobs and wears a stomach brace to hide his gut

Shine my shoes you peasant crumb
lordrocco18

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby rainbow warrior » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:48 am

rod_rooster wrote:
rainbow warrior wrote:Was disappointed all A grade games got called off. Surely at that level the fitness of the blokes should be good enough to have no concerns for their health. Geez I remember Valentines Day 2004 where it was a ridiculous temperature and we all played and were fine just ad a lot of extra drinks breaks and finished later. I can understand the lower grades and juniors etc. where preparation may be off, but A1's to A4's surely not. Anyway just my opinion.

I do however understand it is the lawyers fault for their new age litigate against anything mentality when there is half a sniff of some compensation which has forced the ATCA's hand, I just think it is sad that a summer sport cannot play its game in summery conditions. Was a beautiful day for cricket wasted.

Not everyone playing these grades is doing so as fit physically well prepared players. Lets not forget that there are clubs B grade sides playing in A4. This is not a professional organisation and the Turf rightly have a cut off point. If they make a rule it can't be open to flexibility and as such all cricket was rightly called off. 10-15 years ago i would have been disappointed that games were called off but these days i am pretty glad that they were.

I disagree there is rightly a cut off point. How is that so determined?

I do agree however once htey have mad e a rule it is not open to flexibility.

Common sense would say if it is going ot be hot you would prepare yourself well and hydrate well accordingly. There has to be some onus on the individual.

And I don't see how 10-15 years ago is any different to today.
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Trader » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 am

rainbow warrior wrote:And I don't see how 10-15 years ago is any different to today.

Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am

rainbow warrior wrote:
rod_rooster wrote:

Common sense would say if it is going ot be hot you would prepare yourself well and hydrate well accordingly. There has to be some onus on the individual.

Litigation!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:42 pm

tigerpie wrote:
rainbow warrior wrote:
rod_rooster wrote:

Litigation!

The danger of litigation was significantly higher 10-15 years ago before the passage of Civil Liability reform. With proportionate liability it's infinitely safer.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:02 pm

I dont speak lawyer so i have no idea what you just said.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Trader » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Trader wrote:Don't worry lads, the forecast for this saturday is 40 already, and it keeps creeping up! (Was 35 Saturday night, 38 yesterday and now 40)....

42 now. Here we go...
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 am

i remember when cricket use to be a tuff sport :) i can understand at the junior level not playing but seniors really......shame when you see cricket cancelled cause of hot weather then you see netball being played the same day
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

It's a tough one. If a team wins or an individual performs well on a really hot day they will say that they had no issues playing in the heat. But if a team loses and an individual has a shocker then they will bleat about having to play in the heat.

The Australian Open tennis tournament would never have delayed or postponed matches for heat years ago but they did this year.

If the ATCA and individuals supported playing in extreme heat then they would have blood on their hands if someone had serious health issues or death arising out of playing. Not to mention any legal ramifications.

If last week wasn't heated out I doubt many would be complaining this week due to the ability to play a one day game next week. But I can remember in 2 of the last 6 or 7 seasons we lost lost 4 to 6 full days play due to rain. But the last time that happened we got lucky with nearly every wash out being week 1 of a game. It's just the fickle nature of playing a summer sport. Last year the hottest Saturday of the season was 38 from memory even though it was the 2nd hottest Adelaide summer on record. So timing can be everything.

The current ATCA Heat Policy is very specific and the ATCA surely can't tinker with By-Laws mid-season. I'm sure it will get reviewed in the off-season and I would support some flexibility built in so that achieving a result in every fixtured match is a high priority.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 am

The ATCA Heat Policy has been reviewed and revised over the past 4-5 years. Under the David Heyzer administration, Clubs have had ample opportunity to have their say and influence this policy. We ended up with the current policy based on feedback from the Clubs, so we have to accept that the majority of Clubs support the current policy.

Last year we didn't lose any games to the Heat Policy, so it wasn't scrutinised that much at the end of the year. This year we look like losing two consecutive weeks, so i'm sure it wil come up for discussion again at the end of the year. I'm confident ATCA will listen to the Clubs and only implement changes the Clubs want.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Trader » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Good chance we lose 3 in a row...
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:19 pm

is cricket cancelled for tomorrow yet?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bloods08 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Think they're waiting on the 4pm update from the BOM.

Reckon they had already cancelled at this time last week but it was a lot warmer. Hoping it can dip below 40 somehow.
Go you Redbacks!
bloods08
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 13 times

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:11 pm

bloods08 wrote:Think they're waiting on the 4pm update from the BOM.

Reckon they had already cancelled at this time last week but it was a lot warmer. Hoping it can dip below 40 somehow.

if called off is it to the front bar tomorrow bloods08?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Trader » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Afternoon forecast is out, still 42....
But! Late change now in the forecast. Better give it another 12 hours to see if the change comes early, no announcement til 9am...???
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Trader » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm

My sources have advised the ATCA just announced....no announcement.
Announcement to be made at 7:30 tomorrow morning.
Trader
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps