Barossa & Light Cricket 2013/14.

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2013/14.

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:not sure how this A2s playing an A1 side on the "bye" week is going to work out. seems like a pretty stupid idea to me, see how we go this weekend.

How is it so stupid?
More blokes playing cricket every week is not so stupid, im looking forward to your well thought out argument.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:not sure how this A2s playing an A1 side on the "bye" week is going to work out. seems like a pretty stupid idea to me, see how we go this weekend.

Why is it stupid?
Unfortunately there wasnt any other options, the A1 Ressies didnt want byes and fair enough.
I know our A2's are very keen to have a game rather than a bye so I dont have an issue with it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 am

to me it just seems to compromise both the A1r and the A2, just for the sake of not having byes in the A1r.

because each A2 only plays a single A1r team, the effects of the skill difference between the grades is exacerbated by the luck of the draw. i.e if you are a bottom A1r team that plays a top A2 team, it wouldnt be too bad, but if a top A1r team is drawn to play one of the weaker A2 teams, that could give them a massive advantage. its like they get to play a bottom side that no other side in the comp gets access to. The reverse obviously applies for the A2, where a good A2 team playing a crap A1r team potentially has access to points that a middling A2 team playing an A1r team doesnt have.

a better solution for mine would have been to either drop the worst A1r team down to A2 and have a similar relegation/promotion system, or put the best A2 team up into A1r for a season. either that or just put up with a Bye in A1r. obviously not an idea situation but i think that would be the best of a bad bunch of solutions.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:32 am

bennymacca wrote:to me it just seems to compromise both the A1r and the A2, just for the sake of not having byes in the A1r.

because each A2 only plays a single A1r team, the effects of the skill difference between the grades is exacerbated by the luck of the draw. i.e if you are a bottom A1r team that plays a top A2 team, it wouldnt be too bad, but if a top A1r team is drawn to play one of the weaker A2 teams, that could give them a massive advantage. its like they get to play a bottom side that no other side in the comp gets access to. The reverse obviously applies for the A2, where a good A2 team playing a crap A1r team potentially has access to points that a middling A2 team playing an A1r team doesnt have.

a better solution for mine would have been to either drop the worst A1r team down to A2 and have a similar relegation/promotion system, or put the best A2 team up into A1r for a season. either that or just put up with a Bye in A1r. obviously not an idea situation but i think that would be the best of a bad bunch of solutions.

Did you just want to use the word "exacerbated" in a sentence? ;) .
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 am

Haha

I'll be honest, the spellchecker got a workout before I pressed reply :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:to me it just seems to compromise both the A1r and the A2, just for the sake of not having byes in the A1r.

Did you just want to use the word "exacerbated" in a sentence? ;) .

This has already happened, Tanunda will more than likely be one of the bottom A2 teams and they narrowly lost to Nuri who will be the top A1res team.

Of your solutions, the 1st one, constitution says all clubs must have their A Grade in A1 or A1 Res unless otherwise directed by the management committtee. i.e Mallala were given an opportunity to move through the grades which they did, they were just an A4 team only 2 seasons ago. Once they nominated for A1 res there was always going to be 7.
Point 2. The best A2 team (Mallala was already going up), Nuri (minor premier) already has a side in the A1 res., The b grade teams in an A grade comp has been done to death in the past and these sides know they have no hope of competing against the A grade teams and this has a negative effect on a whole club for a whole season and sometimes more than one season. Not that your club would know about this, your B grade has always hidden in A3 and your A grade until the last couple seasons has always been one of the A grade clubs in the 2nd division that beat up on b grade clubs. The cross over games allow for everyone in A2 to have to "share the pain" so to speak but for only 3 saturdays in 21. A massive loss will be quickly forgotten if it happens on the other hand a win for an A2 can set up the season.
It is also a trial for this year and see what happens. It will either prove that the top team in A2 should go up all season or it will prove the gap is too big and this system will continue.
3rd point. The clubs in A1 res did not want a bye and as an association we are trying to promote the playing of cricket in our comp, not byes.

However if you asked your delegate he could have told you all this or better yet why don't you put your hand up and get involved in administration
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 am

Touchy.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 am

Not that your club would know about this, your B grade has always hidden in A3 and your A grade until the last couple seasons has always been one of the A grade clubs in the 2nd division that beat up on b grade clubs. The cross over games allow for everyone in A2 to have to "share the pain" so to speak but for only 3 saturdays in 21. A massive loss will be quickly forgotten if it happens on the other hand a win for an A2 can set up the season.
[/quote]

There B Grade has been full of 17-18 year olds who have now had a few years to mature and get their bodies right for higher cricket. I think the older heads have wanted to go up its just the lack of cattle in such a small town. For a little community I think Freeling does a lot in the association that people like you look past.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 am

Your points are fair enough, I don't think the club bashing is really warranted though, maybe jump off the high horse for a second. I hardly think making the finals in the A3 for the first time in 7 years and then immediately going up when we win the flag, is hiding in the A3s.

We have had all of this communicated to us but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the changes. And as I said I'll wait to see how we go this week before making further comment.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:Your points are fair enough, I don't think the club bashing is really warranted though, maybe jump off the high horse for a second. I hardly think making the finals in the A3 for the first time in 7 years and then immediately going up when we win the flag, is hiding in the A3s.

We have had all of this communicated to us but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the changes. And as I said I'll wait to see how we go this week before making further comment.

Yeah ok point taken regards club bashing.
You will be fine this week, you beat a traditionally strong Nuri side last week and Lyndoch were bowled out by last seasons wooden spooners for 38
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Touchy.

Thanks for your contribution DW, insightful
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:Not that your club would know about this, your B grade has always hidden in A3 and your A grade until the last couple seasons has always been one of the A grade clubs in the 2nd division that beat up on b grade clubs. The cross over games allow for everyone in A2 to have to "share the pain" so to speak but for only 3 saturdays in 21. A massive loss will be quickly forgotten if it happens on the other hand a win for an A2 can set up the season.

There B Grade has been full of 17-18 year olds who have now had a few years to mature and get their bodies right for higher cricket. I think the older heads have wanted to go up its just the lack of cattle in such a small town. For a little community I think Freeling does a lot in the association that people like you look past.[/quote]

Like buy premierships?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:23 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

I was being concise. For someone who likes to give forthright commentary on anything and everything across these boards, you were incredibly touchy about Benny's thoughts.
The fella initially said he didn't like it but would give it a go. I reckon that's a fair response.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:41 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Like buy premierships?

so far off the mark its not funny. sour grapes much?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

I was being concise. For someone who likes to give forthright commentary on anything and everything across these boards, you were incredibly touchy about Benny's thoughts.
The fella initially said he didn't like it but would give it a go. I reckon that's a fair response.

Not quite what he said DW
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby magpieeagle » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 pm

A forfeit today already in A4s,Mallala def Sandy creek.A1R Mallala 350 curnow 100 birchmore 105,day one
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:13 pm

magpieeagle wrote:A forfeit today already in A4s,Mallala def Sandy creek.A1R Mallala 350 curnow 100 birchmore 105,day one

tree fiddy is a huge score

Gilbert Valley A1 scored 298 against freeling
Freeling A2 bowled Lyndoch A1r out for 112, and are 7/96 in reply
Freeling A4 forfiet
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
magpieeagle wrote:A forfeit today already in A4s,Mallala def Sandy creek.A1R Mallala 350 curnow 100 birchmore 105,day one

tree fiddy is a huge score

Gilbert Valley A1 scored 298 against freeling
Freeling A2 bowled Lyndoch A1r out for 112, and are 7/96 in reply
Freeling A4 forfiet

You must be facing a huge personal dilema this week bennymacca, win the game for your team and prove me right or throw the game to back your own argument ;)
I noticed Lachy Heinrich appears to be subbing in this week, is the player he is subbing for out already?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Not much to report this week, the season rolls on much like the 1st week, Gawler Central still havnt taken a wicket, that makes it 0/360 from about 65 overs. Ironically their opening batsman and SAFooty star could have been dismissed 390 times in this same time frame ;)
Kapunda continue to defy their own pre-season predictions amassing 300 v LP as did the Bulls with Boof tonning up against the reigning premiers
Ango chasing 196 v south
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Even if we win it won't really change my opinion either way, except to say that the competition seems closer than I had thought. The evenness doesn't change the fact that I believe it compromises both competitions, but at least there hasn't seemed to be any blowouts at this early point of the season.

And lachy can bat, Tom Carmichael was zero not out and will sub out for lachy. Hopefully we get the extra runs needed before I have to come out and bat, because then we will be in a bit of trouble!
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps