Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby tigerhutch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Failed Creation wrote:My wife and I got our membership packs yesterday.

NOW it feels as though footy season is around the corner! We can't wait.

sorry to hear that :lol:
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Squids » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm

norf suck
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Spargo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Haters gonna hate.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Spargo wrote:2 things that tell me the footy is almost upon us;

I got my first "North suck" on the road today after this hero must've seen the 2014 member sticker on the back of my van (I have his rego ;) )

I've had three mates in Melb ask to borrow my membership ticket for round 1 already
One is an Essendon supporter - no chance.

As if it will be hard to get a ticket to a North game lol
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Spargo wrote:2 things that tell me the footy is almost upon us;

I got my first "North suck" on the road today after this hero must've seen the 2014 member sticker on the back of my van (I have his rego ;) )

I've had three mates in Melb ask to borrow my membership ticket for round 1 already
One is an Essendon supporter - no chance.

As if it will be hard to get a ticket to a North game lol

A free ticket Jim, IT'S - A -FREE - TICKET.

Spargo
Coach

Postby carey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:59 am

Did you get your packs on the same day? I received mine on Wednesday I then rang the club and said I ordered 2 packs at which time they explained to me they get sent out via a shot gun system through Australia post (I received the second pack Friday) Seems stupid 2 packs going to the same address under the same name getting sent separately.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 am

carey wrote:

Did you get your packs on the same day? I received mine on Wednesday I then rang the club and said I ordered 2 packs at which time they explained to me they get sent out via a shot gun system through Australia post (I received the second pack Friday) Seems stupid 2 packs going to the same address under the same name getting sent separately.

Hey Carey,

Yeah we both got our packs on the same day (Thursday). The wife was starting to panic that we weren't going to see them before Round 2 lol.

Which membership package did you get? I did read that certain packages were being sent out first, then the others.

I might have to wash the cars this arvo to put the bumper stickers on...
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby dee man » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:39 pm

the reason why carlton are the most hated club in the AFL
even more than collingwood

sooks
silver spoons
malthouse
elliot
the name princess park says it all

but the most hated thing about carlton
SQUIDS
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:39 am

I would've added that crook Pratt, dead or not his dirty money still funds the club.

As for hating them though, why would anyone really hate the dated "big 4"?
Carlton - 20 years since last flag
Richmond - over 30 years
Essendon - 14 years
Collingwood - 2 in 60 years

Big 4 in crowds - yep. That's about it though.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:24 am

Spargo wrote:I would've added that crook Pratt, dead or not his dirty money still funds the club.

As for hating them though, why would anyone really hate the dated "big 4"?
Carlton - 20 years since last flag
Richmond - over 30 years
Essendon - 14 years
Collingwood - 2 in 60 years

Big 4 in crowds - yep. That's about it though.

North - 15 years since last flag so whats your point?
Of course you guys couldnt hate the Big 4 as its our money that props you up year after year.
The marketing guys must be geniuses at our clubs as our memberships continue to grow despite not having success as you have correctly pointed out, perhaps North could take some lessons in growing their supporter base instead of going cap in hand to the league every year.
And Essendon supporters consider the Hawks as part of the Big 4 not Richmond ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Squids » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:10 am

dee man wrote:the reason why carlton are the most hated club in the AFL

sooks
silver spoons
malthouse
elliot

SQUIDS

who are you?
Squids
Coach

Postby tigerhutch » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm

sooks
silver spoons
malthouse
elliot

SQUIDS

you should do a survey, I dont think Carlton would make the top 10. Collingwood surely would be number 1 ?
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Squids » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 pm

tigerhutch wrote:

sooks
silver spoons
malthouse
elliot

SQUIDS

you should do a survey, I dont think Carlton would make the top 10. Collingwood surely would be number 1 ?

1. Essendon
2. Collingwood
Squids
Coach

Postby carey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Failed Creation wrote:
carey wrote:

Hey Carey,

Yeah we both got our packs on the same day (Thursday). The wife was starting to panic that we weren't going to see them before Round 2 lol.

Which membership package did you get? I did read that certain packages were being sent out first, then the others.

Hey mate the mrs and I got Essential memberships. Even tho she's due in the middle of July there is no one she was letting me get one without her! Lol so looks as tho I'll be taken a mate with me most weeks!

Can't wait. I just can't get into these NAB games although they should start playing full strength sides now I understand teams have to play kids but it ain't much of a sceptical. IMO
carey
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:24 pm

carey wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
carey wrote:

Hey Carey,

Hey mate the mrs and I got Essential memberships. Even tho she's due in the middle of July there is no one she was letting me get one without her! Lol so looks as tho I'll be taken a mate with me most weeks!

Can't wait. I just can't get into these NAB games although they should start playing full strength sides now I understand teams have to play kids but it ain't much of a sceptical. IMO

My wife and I got Essential memberships too. They just seemed the best value for money for us, and I love the Grand Final ticket guarantee (if we make it). I also don't mind sitting in different spots every week. There will be some games I'll miss, because Salisbury North are playing, but they'll be few and far between.

Like you, I also can't get into the NAB stuff. It doesn't feel right if they're not playing for points, but I understand that it's a necessary evil to get everyone warmed up before Round 1.

I'll probably be sitting near you without even knowing it.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby carey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm

FC I sent you a PM mate
carey
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 pm

carey wrote:FC I sent you a PM mate

Awesome, Carey. I just replied.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby David Brent » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:35 pm

David Brent wrote:Kochie trying to be the new Eddie & gettting involved in other clubs business.

I should get a gig working for the Advertiser.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6836202664
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 am

Port Adelaide season preview 2014.

After an amazing 2013 that saw Port rise from bottom 4 to finally dip out in the semi-final to the experienced Geelong outft the 2014 season offers much interest for all AFL fans looking at Alberton and plenty of nervous anticipation for those who support the club. Exciting times ahead, I hope.

Not only from a team perspective but for individuals season 2013 was a breakout year. Under coach Ken Hinkley 2014 shapes as a challenging one heading into the city at Adelaide Oval with a tougher fixture, greater focus from opposition teams and something missing from Port fans in the last few years, high hopes.

Ken Hinkley came to the club with a strong idea built on years of assistant coaching experience not only with how he wanted his team to play on field, but how they were to behave off field, how they trained and how they saw themselves. The playing group would have felt the sacking of Matt Primus, all players would see their part in that process and confidence was low. Ken introduced an attitude and set of behaviours that the players clearly embraced. From not leaving dirty dishes in the lunch room for the wonderful volunteer ladies to clean up, to language used around the club, to the coaches deciding during training when the players can and cant go off for a drink. The players were left under no disillusion who was in charge and who was setting the tone for the season ahead.

Adopting two very telling statements of "We will never give up" and "We will get what we deserve" the playing group embraced the training methods under the world class Darren Burgess and delivered on those statements.

Troy Chaplin and Danyle Pearce were moved on, much maligned by Port fans at times and highly rated at others the trading of these two players sent a message to the group. Nobody was safe.

Travis Boak replaced Dom Cassisi as captain and young faces like Chad Wingard, Ollie Wines, Jake Neade and Sam Colquhoun were given the chance to play at AFL level. Two of them, Wingard and Wines, excelled.

Individually Boak stood out as the leader of the club earning his first All-Australian honours along with Chad Wingard who took out the clubs John Cahill Medal for the best & fairest. Ollie Wines played all 22 games and finals in his debut season and Neade showed glimpses of brilliance around the forward half while Colquhoun was the youngest player at AFL ranks last season. ( Surprising given GWS and GC lists! )

Players like Mathew Broadbent, a fitter and stronger Alipate Carlile, Justin Westhoff, Brad Ebert, Angus Monfries and Jasper Pittard had personal best seasons.Jack Hombsch, Tom Jonas,Campbell Heath and Lewis Stevenson all played roles in the back half when needed.Robbie Gray returned from injury and took a while to find his feet, then began to show the class all Port people know he has around goals and in small stints in the middle.Kane Cornes turned the clock back and looks to have given himself at least another year of AFL football under Hinkley and looks set to be Ports first bond fide 300 game AFL player.Jarrad Redden had a mixed season starting well and copping a couple of serious injuries (including a dislocated shoulder) and Matt Lobbe stepped up to the plate, carrying Ports big man duties almost single handedly for the last half of the year.Hamish Harlett began to get his body right and had an amazing purple patch early on, as did Justin Westhoff in the first 5 rounds.

For mine, Boak, Wingard, Lobbe, Monfries, Schulz, Broadbent and Ebert were Ports spine last year. All of them played consistently well.

So what can Port look forward to in 2014?

A forward half that will test most back lines. The far reaching Westhoff, the accurate and courageous Schulz with the likes of Monfries, Wingard, Boak, Gray, Hartlett and Stewart offering plenty of attacking options.

The defense will be built around talls Trengove and Carlile, running talls O'Shea and Pittard while Harlett and Cassisi will be the back line generals directing traffic. I expect Homsch, Logan and Jonas to be given roles throughout the season.

In the middle Ports options all of a sudden run deep. Boak, Ebert, Wines,Broadbent, Wingard, Cornes, Hartlett, Cassisi, Gray new recruits Polec and White. While Andrew Moore and Aaron Young appear to be getting groomed as the Cornes / Cassisi replacements as these two premiership players enter the twilight years.It's hard not to be a little excited by where Port look to be heading.

An interesting selection with Polec as the guy seems to have his critics, already he has noted how he has benefited from the fitness program at Alberton. He was recruited for his finishing by foot. Jono Brown reakons Polec has delivered him some of the best passes in his long career on the Brisbane training track. Lets hope he can take that to the centre on game day. Matt White impressed me in the training drills I have seen him in, he's much more solidly built than I recall of him. He, along with Wines and Harlett give Port some real muscle in the middle.

After all that good news, the very sudden and late loss of senior assistant Alan Richardson was not only a shock but a loss to the coaching group. Balanced by the return of Phil Walsh from the WCE, this might not hurt as much as first thought.

My best 22 :

F : Monfries Schulz Gray
HF : Wingard Westhoff Stewart
C : Polec Ebert Broadbent
HB : Hartlett Trengove Pittard
B : White Carlile O'Shea

R : Lobbe Boak Moore
Int : Cassisi Wines Cornes Jonas/Hombsch/Neade

Draw :

Home games :
Adelaide,Brisbane,Geelong,Fremantle,Hawthorn,St.Kilda,Bulldogs,Essendon,Melbourne,Sydney,Carlton
Away games :
Carlton,North,West Coast,GWS,Melbourne,Sydney,Adelaide,Richmond,Collingwood,GC,Fremantle

DOUBLE UP TEAMS IN BOLD

I'm expecting big things from this group in 2014 but, as we all know backing up one solid season with another is tough work. Very tough work.

I think Port will be in the mix to finish anywhere from 5th to 9th. If we don't play finals I expect and believe it will be by only a game or two.

Wins at home over Adelaide (we'll split the Showdowns for arguments sake), Brisbane, St.Kilda,Bulldogs, Melbourne and Carlton.
Minimum 6 home wins.

Wins away to Carlton,GWS,Melbourne and Gold Coast. 4 wins.

Confident of 10 wins there with the likes of Essendon, Richmond, West Coast, Adelaide, North and Carlton around the same level as us I would think 13-15 wins is achievable.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby GWW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:34 am

Your side looks pretty good Booney, although I would have Jonas starting in defence, and Id be ken to have Hartlett away from the bqckline, perhaps on a wing or half forward
Also, Id have Wines as starting centreman, and hope he played 80% game time throughout the season.

It will be an interesting year!
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL