Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:41 am

PORT Adelaide's new midfield coach Michael Voss remains keen to again lead a team in his own right.

Voss replaced Phil Walsh as the Power's midfield manager on Tuesday.

The former Brisbane Lions senior coach denied the move to Adelaide was just a stepping stone, and with a young family, he insisted he wanted to create stability for them in a new city.

But after his appointment by the Power, where he'll join premiership teammate Shaun Hart, Voss said his passion to coach still burned.

"It still sits there a bit to say 'I'd like another crack at it'," Voss told SEN.

"But I'd be quite satisfied if I found myself (still as an assistant coach) in another few years time and it wasn't the goal.

"It's just about creating a really strong football club…you look at teams like Hawthorn just recently and the Sydney Swans over the last decade and also Geelong, they're the sort of environments you want to try and create.

"If we can try and make some way towards that and I was invested in a small way in that, I would be immensely proud."

For now though, Voss said he was excited to coach without the added pressures that come with the senior position.

Voss said he was also eager to work with a number of the Power's young emerging stars, namely Ollie Wines.

The 20-year-old won his second Gavin Wanganeen Medal this season as the Power's best under-21 player and is still eligible for the award next season.

Voss said he was looking forward to the luxury of working with the likes of Wines minus the meetings and external pressures that will remain coach Ken Hinkley's responsibility.

"Just to focus solely on that, I must say is very exciting," Voss said.

"No media, board meetings and operations meetings, recruiting meetings – just purely getting the midfield together and getting them going.

"[Wines] has just got that big frame, that big body and he already throws his weight around.

"He's just playing some fantastic football."

Coincidentally, the three-time Lions premiership captain will mentor the Power's midfield alongside former agitator Josh Carr.

"I never thought I'd be working right alongside Josh Carr, the closest we got together was normally in a headlock," he joked.

"So I might get the boys just to stand back and watch us go at it for 15 minutes."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7518 times
Been liked: 10813 times

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Well done Port for giving Voss a chance to get back into coaching
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby kickinit » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:55 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Well done Port for giving Voss a chance to get back into coaching

Was always going to end back up coaching, we just pushed him to leave his media commitments early.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:28 pm

So if the Ryder deal goes thru, Port's first entry into the draft will be Pick 57, surprised they haven't worked harder to get some earlier picks.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:So if the Ryder deal goes thru, Port's first entry into the draft will be Pick 57, surprised they haven't worked harder to get some earlier picks.

Dont need any early picks. Dont have many weakness'
Will have a pretty handy side if all stay fit
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Dunno, we saw how they came back to the pack with a few injuries mid year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby kickinit » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Dunno, we saw how they came back to the pack with a few injuries mid year.

2 key defenders went down, our 2 backup ruck man had knee reckons and we lost 2 guys (mainly mids) a week for 3 weeks straight with rolled ankles. Think you'll find any side that had these injuries would come back to the pack.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:45 am

kickinit wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Dunno, we saw how they came back to the pack with a few injuries mid year.

2 key defenders went down, our 2 backup ruck man had knee reckons and we lost 2 guys (mainly mids) a week for 3 weeks straight with rolled ankles. Think you'll find any side that had these injuries would come back to the pack.

Hawthorn didn't.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5520 times
Been liked: 5153 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby stan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 am

Spargo wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Hawthorn didn't.

Hawthorn have sensational depth. They simply brought in some young kids and they went well. They just kept finding a way to win throughout the season.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:16 am

Spargo wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Hawthorn didn't.

Correct, but they had the stability of the 200+ gamers in Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Lake etc etc to help the younger lads through. Our very young list is building towards that level of experience / cool heads and our leaders will be very much like those mentioned above in due course. Boak, Ebert, Trengove etc will be those guys in 2-3 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 am

also, hawthorn is a much better team than port!

hawthorn with injuries probably goes from the best side to the 4th best side or something. port went from 4th/5th to maybe 9-10. makes a huge difference
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby CoverKing » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:05 am

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Hawthorn didn't.

Correct, but they had the stability of the 200+ gamers in Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Lake etc etc to help the younger lads through. Our very young list is building towards that level of experience / cool heads and our leaders will be very much like those mentioned above in due course. Boak, Ebert, Trengove etc will be those guys in 2-3 years.

Haha trengove and ebert like that. They both can't kick, can't compare than to Hodge, Lewis. Ebert works as hard as anyone, but his kicking skills are average.
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 am

Actually, I was referring to them being 200 gamers with the poise and experience to help a young side through the tough times when injuries deplete the best 22 not that they will be as good as those I mentioned, experienced.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 am

bennymacca wrote:also, hawthorn is a much better team than port!

hawthorn with injuries probably goes from the best side to the 4th best side or something. port went from 4th/5th to maybe 9-10. makes a huge difference

3 points better ;)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby kickinit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:17 am

Spargo wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Hawthorn didn't.

Totally disagree with that. Hawthorn completely fit against Port completely fit, Hawthorn are by far the better side. When we played them with their injuries we had them covered all night, At no stage did hawthorn have the lead and except for 1/2 qtr of footy Hawks never looked like wining.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:29 am

Welcome to PAFC, Paddy!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:35 am

Port Adelaide members have already received an email from the club announcing Ryders arrival.

Super chuffed with this get, and we gave up nothing as far as players go.

Excellent.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby smac » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:49 am

Being the only player to break ranks at Essendon, he'll fit right in at Alberton - just like 1990!
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby MW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 am

At least Monfries will have company on the sidelines next year...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Spit those sour grapes out MW.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach