Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Crows equivalent of Beeny, Beenymacca

Don't know who he is, so I'll assume this is a compliment :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:My point is that the SANFL system has been compromised and a feeder league for the afl for years, but some you have just failed to realise that. Think of a flood of fringe afl players coming back for sanfl finals, and tell me that never compromised the league?

It is the same as a local footy league - if course it is compromised by the fact that players could leave mid season to go play sanfl (especially juniors) but it is a necessary evil.

So it's been compromised to a certain extent before, now it's okay to go the whole hog?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:My point is that the SANFL system has been compromised and a feeder league for the afl for years, but some you have just failed to realise that. Think of a flood of fringe afl players coming back for sanfl finals, and tell me that never compromised the league?

It is the same as a local footy league - if course it is compromised by the fact that players could leave mid season to go play sanfl (especially juniors) but it is a necessary evil.

So you are saying that instead of just one competition being compromised we will potentially compromise every senior football competition in the statel to satisfy the whims of Sanderson. We do not all support the Crows or Power and I heavily reject the notion that we should support these 2 teams from all levels of football in this state. The crows and power are part of a club compoetion, they do not represent the state.
Yes its ok for juniors to chase their dream but they can do that without AFL clubs in the SANFL.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:59 pm

My point is, it has happened for years, and a dedicated team might actually be a better way to not compromise the league than having players drift in and out.

And it's a valid point that some people don't follow the AFL that much, but those people would be in the vocal minority and sometimes we have to adapt and love with the changes.

I definitely support the afl more than the sanfl but I do follow centrals pretty closely still, and im prepared to see how it goes.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby sib » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Totally agree Macca.

The SANFL has been compromised since 1991. This now makes it less compromised. I have tried explaining it before but all I got back was. Oh ok so you would like to see Grigg kick the winning goal for the crows to defeat Norwood.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:21 pm

sib wrote:Totally agree Macca.

The SANFL has been compromised since 1991. This now makes it less compromised. I have tried explaining it before but all I got back was. Oh ok so you would like to see Grigg kick the winning goal for the crows to defeat Norwood.

That's just another point of view sib.
The way I see it is you'll have two teams in the league whose primary focus is player development and the ultimate goal for the rest of us; ie a flag, will be secondary to them. You'll also have 2 sets of fans who, when they lose, can quite rightly claim they don't give a rats, after all, it's just their seconds team! There's also the question of three different sets of rules for the clubs, ravens and magpies, as well as bringing that unwanted AFL influence closer, ie stupid rule changes every year, salary caps etc. I also can't see the media shifting it's SANFL focus from those two AFL feeder clubs very much.
Have you honestly only read replies relating to former players playing against their original clubs? All of what I've typed above is rehashed from this debate and been mentioned uncountable times.
You still of the opinion we'll be less compromised?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:20 pm

sib wrote:Totally agree Macca.

This part I have heard numerous times and I disagree with this way of thinking. So a player here and there has pulled out of finals, no difference from the possibility of them getting injured anyway.
I have heard Bruce Abernethy say this on the telly as well, and it made me want to :vom: If we use that argument, then you'd have to say that Port's premierships in 88-90 were compromised because of the large numbers of players the Bays lost to the V/AFL in this time - sure Port and other teams lost a few, but the Bays seemed to suffer worse than anyone. Prior to this, ie Port's 3-in-a-row in early 80's and Glenelg's back-to-back, both teams had a relatively small even number in the VFL.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 pm

I agree with all of that - they were compromised but that's just what comes with not being the top flight any more.

So yeah you could even go back into the 80s when full scale poaching started
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:02 pm

It's the vocal majority on safooty.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:
And it's a valid point that some people don't follow the AFL that much, but those people would be in the vocal minority and sometimes we have to adapt and love with the changes.

Yeh right, 40,000 Crows fans and 20,000 Power fans can't be wrong. But at the end of the day they still have their Crows, Power and AFL. Why do they need the SANFL too? So far as I'm concerned SANFL fans are the majority in the SANFL comp, and AFLites claiming some sort of right of dominion should apply only to their specific comp.
In a nutshell, I don't care how many you number in your comp, you're not welcome in ours.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby sjt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:16 pm

eaglehaslanded wrote:James Battersby from Sturt and Alex Spina from North Adelaide now join the Crows nest this morning via the Rookie draft.

Good luck to the lads. Hopefully they dominate against their clubs of origin.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby RB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:23 pm

therisingblues wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Yeh right, 40,000 Crows fans and 20,000 Power fans can't be wrong. But at the end of the day they still have their Crows, Power and AFL. Why do they need the SANFL too? So far as I'm concerned SANFL fans are the majority in the SANFL comp, and AFLites claiming some sort of right of dominion should apply only to their specific comp.
In a nutshell, I don't care how many you number in your comp, you're not welcome in ours.

Quality post, TRB. Unfortunately the 'AFLites' are used to getting their own way, and few of them really appreciate what exists other than the AFL. They see this whole reserves debate through AFL goggles which distorts things.
As you say, the AFL teams have no right to compromise the SANFL merely because the AFL's bigger. Beeny Mk 2's crap about adapting to changes just typifies the selfish attitude of Sando, Triggy et al.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:37 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:The majority of sane central supporters wouldn't be happy with callinan playing against them.

Two of them then?

(edit) bugger, you have to be quick to beat Booney to the punch :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Why is it the Crows and their nuffy supporters think that not just the SANFL clubs but every club in the state should do everything they possibly can to make them successful?
We don't bend over to help Carlton or Kangaroos or Brisbane, the Crows are no different
You are not the state team.
There is probably more South Australians that support Victorian clubs than SA clubs
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 pm

therisingblues wrote:

So it's been compromised to a certain extent before, now it's okay to go the whole hog?

I disagree that it's been a feeder league for years. There are players who have the ambition to play SANFL and SANFL clubs until now, have all aimed for the SANFL premiership. In a true feeder league, players all aspire to the higher level and the clubs aim to produce players for that level. SANFL reserves is a feeder to the league comp. I can understand the confusion though, some people just don't understand the pride some of us have in the SANFL.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Why is it the Crows and their nuffy supporters think that not just the SANFL clubs but every club in the state should do everything they possibly can to make them successful?
We don't bend over to help Carlton or Kangaroos or Brisbane, the Crows are no different
There is probably more South Australians that support Victorian clubs than SA clubs

And probably more members of interstate sides aswell, not sure of other clubs but Essendon had just over 5,500 SA members and id think Collingwood, Carlton and Hawthorn would have similar if not more
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Aerie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Why is it the Crows and their nuffy supporters think that not just the SANFL clubs but every club in the state should do everything they possibly can to make them successful?

And probably more members of interstate sides aswell, not sure of other clubs but Essendon had just over 5,500 SA members and id think Collingwood, Carlton and Hawthorn would have similar if not more

What is with that? I've never understood the desire to follow, let alone become a member of an interstate AFL side. Sure there'd be a few that lived there or knew someone that plays for them, but what about the rest? What connection is there? Just pick a side you saw on tv one day? Liked the colours? Seems a bit plastic to me.

It is sh*t that there are more members of Essendon in SA than any SANFL club.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Aerie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

What is with that? I've never understood the desire to follow, let alone become a member of an interstate AFL side. Sure there'd be a few that lived there or knew someone that plays for them, but what about the rest? What connection is there? Just pick a side you saw on tv one day? Liked the colours? Seems a bit plastic to me.

It is sh*t that there are more members of Essendon in SA than any SANFL club.

Well im a Hawks supporter because my favourite Centrals player J.Platten went there in 86 when i was 12yrs old. This is the time i started following the VFL. Not that hard to understand is it
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby csbowes » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 pm

I chose to follow North Melbourne in the mid-80s, why change allegiance just because some half arsed club was created here?

It's not my club despite their slogan.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 am

I'd rather see the extra money spent on interstate AFL memberships put back in to an SANFL club. At least an SA AFL club some of that money is retained in this state.

For example, 5500 SA based Bombers memberships going towards building a shiny new building at Windy Hill and a batch of the latest peptides, yippee. All so you can do a fist pump on the lounge and feel a part of it?

Perhaps if the interstate clubs put a percentage of members money from the state they receive towards grass roots footy in that state it might be of benefit? Or does that happen already? If so, I digress.

Of course people can do what they like with their own money, but I find it a shame that for most their AFL team that they once followed for the hell of it and secondary to their SANFL team has now become number 1 at the expense of their SANFL team. This is every bit a factor in belittling the SANFL as Crows Reserves sides are.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL