Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

we have been over this before, but, irrevocably, it IS a development league, and has been since the late eighties probably, but most definitely since we had an AFL team in south australia. ask any young player, their goal is to play in the AFL.

this doesnt have to be a bad thing - amateur footballers mostly aspire to get games in the SANFL, that does not diminish the integrity of those amateur or country leagues.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:it IS a development league

Your opinion.
bennymacca wrote:this doesnt have to be a bad thing - amateur footballers mostly aspire to get games in the SANFL, that does not diminish the integrity of those amateur or country leagues.

Because they are at that standard. To pick them for the SANFL when they aren't up to that standard is what destroys the integrity of the league.

It is the arrogance of people like you who assert that, because the SANFL is not as good as the AFL talent-wise, it is okay for the AFL clubs to use it for their own ends, and in general take a dump on it, that really infuriates SANFL fans.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby saintal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:35 pm

bennymacca wrote: it IS a development league, .

South, Norwood, West etc pick their strongest 21 to win a league match with the premiership their ultimate aim, not to develop players for a higher level.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

RB wrote:
bennymacca wrote:it IS a development league

Your opinion.
bennymacca wrote:this doesnt have to be a bad thing - amateur footballers mostly aspire to get games in the SANFL, that does not diminish the integrity of those amateur or country leagues.

Because they are at that standard. To pick them for the SANFL when they aren't up to that standard is what destroys the integrity of the league.

It is the arrogance of people like you who assert that, because the SANFL is not as good as the AFL talent-wise, it is okay for the AFL clubs to use it for their own ends, and in general take a dump on it, that really infuriates SANFL fans.

Nice one RB i agree. You have to earn a spot at a sanfl club, Not get gifted one because of injury to a senior afl player. The player from the country or wherever isnt up to the reqired league standard then gets badly injured what happens to him then?
It shouldnt be a development league!
Most SANFL club members pay to watch and support their clubs with passion, because it isnt the same game as the robotic, over officiated afl.
Now we have to put up with playing meaningless games against 2 teams that are not there for the same reason as the established clubs.
Players now risk injury (which could impact on their working life) in these meaningless games.
People like you BM have endorsed the SANFL as a meat market for the big show. Hope you are proud of yourself.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby csbowes » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm

The fans who think this move to have AFL reserves teams in the SANFL is a good one...

... I would guess, are the same people who walked away from the SANFL in 1991.
Last edited by csbowes on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Yeah spot on the SANFL now is the SANDPIT for the AFL Crows RESERVES so Triggy and his cohorts can all get off watching the development of all their little bitty babies oops footballers !

Such a FARCE SHAM and a JOKE !!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Its hard because points that both Benny and RB make, are in their own right, quite valid.

RB- i can see the disgruntlement as a diehard SANFL fan, and yes I can also see the viewpoint that the standard could be a little diminished if the crows side (and port beyond 2015) suffer injuries).

Benny does make a valid point (although development league may come across offensive)- that most players coming through the league system are making a concerted effort to get noticed by AFL talent scouts, in the hope of securing a spot on an AFL list. Development league or not, that is (the way i see it) the intention of a large portion of the competitions participants, whilst also trying to win a premiership for their side. I dont see this being any different for any crows or magpies players. Yes- their primary intention will be to force their way into the best 22 of their respective clubs, but wouldnt the best way to do that be performing for your SANFL side? if you have 22 blokes busting their gut to get a gig in the seniors / develop themselves for that goal, wouldnt that be considered trying to win a game of footy / finals / premierships?

I have no problem with the crows pulling academy players / amateur players into the system to cover injuries. As Benny is trying to point out- these players may not have "earnt" the right to get onto an SANFL list via pure talent, but the opportunity to train under AFL standard coaches with high quality footballers may just improve their skillset enough to warrant a spot, therefore giving that lad a crack at being on an SANFL list, ultimately if the player warrants it down the track, an AFL list?

I may have missed key points towards the agreement of both the crows and port participating in the competition, and maybe as a port fan, im seeing things through rose coloured glasses in the eyes of the diehards, but I like the idea from a developmental point of view, having more pathways to the AFL for the states best young talent, and hopefully, with an AFL presence in the competition, it creates higher quailty players to play for the other 8 clubs to further boost the quality of the competition.
Last edited by valleys07 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm

csbowes wrote:The fans who think this move to have AFL reserves teams in the SANFL is a good one...

a lot of us can follow more than 1 league
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

csbowes wrote:The fans who think this move to have AFL reserves teams in the SANFL is a good one...

Not true

Some might also have never known the SANFL as it was pre-1991, and have watched in envy of the AFL's presence in the VFL competition from a player development point of view. I personally only know of the SANFL pre 91 through videos and history books. I lived and breathed footy as a young lad- not every person in their early to mid 20's is the same. As hard as it is for the SANFL traditionalists to understand, it may just increase the level of interest in the competition from a gen Y perspective- just as it is hard for a gen Y to understand why the traditionalist is 100% against the AFL's presence in the local competition.

There are pro's and con's whichever way you look at it.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:33 pm

The young up and coming player argument is a load of crap. Talent scouts everywhere. No one with potential to play afl is getting over looked.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:35 pm

You dont think that a young player coming through a magpies or crows academy side and training under AFL standard coaches would benefit at all?

valleys07
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:55 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:The young up and coming player argument is a load of crap. Talent scouts everywhere. No one with potential to play afl is getting over looked.

plenty of people that got overlooked by the scouts but have now found their way into the afl system as 24 year olds and are dominating.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Valley07 some good points there however as you stated they will have " opportunity to train under AFL coaches with high quality footballers. "

There my friend is the problem with AFL RESERVES in the SANFL.

These sides will have the best of everything CoachesTraining FacilIties Rehab Doctors etc etc which surely will be an almighty advantage over some of the already struggling SANFL clubs.

Yes of course as a Port fan you see it through rose coloured glasses because your Power Reserves side with a majority of AFL players in the team I reckon will have the edge over the struggling SANFL clubs.

I just hope it does not turn into Shit and we end up like the VFL and WAFL and that is ROOTED to put it politely,
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Mature age rookies have benefited from some rule changes.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Yeah Apache, but at the end of the day- a majority of the lads that make up the AFL portion of both the port and crows SANFL sides are new draftees and rookie listed players. The young lads will have an advantage in both knowledge of recovery, match day preparation and fitness levels (the latter not necessarily true), but will have a disadvantage in size and general experience.

Apachebulldog wrote:These sides will have the best of everything CoachesTraining FacilIties Rehab Doctors etc etc which surely will be an almighty advantage over some of the already struggling SANFL clubs.

Yes of course as a Port fan you see it through rose coloured glasses because your Power Reserves side with a majority of AFL players in the team I reckon will have the edge over the struggling SANFL clubs.

Not having a crack at anybody in particular, but what argument will it be? One minute the 2 AFL sides wont give a rats toss about winning, but another post highlights the supposed advantage both will have. Either way port and adelaide will be critiqued regardless of ladder position.

valleys07
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:No one with potential to play afl is getting over looked.

Thank you.

At any rate, I don't see how, even if this was giving a few more young lads a chance, it outweighs the impact it will have on the SANFL competition.
RB
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:18 pm

valleys07 wrote: One minute the 2 AFL sides wont give a rats toss about winning, but another post highlights the supposed advantage both will have.

This is a valid point. However the fact that the combination of ultra-professionalism and potential (albeit perhaps subconscious) apathy towards the scoreline do not cancel each other out. Adelaide United could play a Manchester United team who'd each consumed 15 beers before the match, levelling out the differences between the sides. This would be a farce, even though the teams may be evenly matched.
RB
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 pm

All the past rhetoric from posters that they will not play to win is B/S.

That's why players run out onto the turf they are out there to WIN.

My personal view is the Power and Crows with their multi million dollar budgets should have the edge on some SANFL clubs which have been struggling financially over the last couple of years

I guess only time will tell.

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:All the past rhetoric from posters that they will not play to win is B/S.

My personal view is the Power and Crows with their multi million dollar budgets should have the edge on some SANFL clubs which have been struggling financially over the last couple of years

But this is where it could get interesting.

We have seen Brad Gotch take on the role at South Adelaide, Ken McGregor take on North Adelaide and Nick Stevens take on Glenelg; 3 players that have recently (both at playing and coaching level) gained expertise within an AFL environment. Will this be a disadvantage to these 3 clubs? one would certainly hope not!

Hopefully we continue to see the SANFL thrive through ex players / coaches step into respective roles to help strengthen clubs (and the competition).

valleys07
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:All the past rhetoric from posters that they will not play to win is B/S.

That's all well and good to say that, but the Crows and Port will manage their players through.

They'll know exactly how long players should be out there, especially from rehab (N V Berlo is one that comes to mind, T Walker, another). So yes, they'll be playing to win. But "win" will be winning a place back in the league side. The young guys will be there trying to impress, rather than winning game of footy. The coaches are there to develop players, not win ressies premierships.

They'll talk about "the process" and "the scoreboard taking care of itself" and "managing game time" for their players. Which seriously, is why they wanted a stand alone side in the first place!

I'll put 5 bucks on someone from the Crows saying "the scoreboard doesn't matter" in the first 6 weeks of the season.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL