Rumours / Player Movement Discussions for 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Postby dedja » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 am

So they'll be known as the Magcocks then?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 am

Panther Pack wrote:Rumour South will be announcing the signing of a key forward and midfielder in the near future!!!!

signing or... re-signing...??
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby holden78 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:43 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:What's the difference between recruiting Mieklejohn and Kirk? Both from other SANFL getting towards their last couple years, and anyone can go down with injury.
Martyn we picked up from the Crows rookie/development list, so I think it says a bit of good about our club that he wanted to stay around after getting cut by them.
Blesing and Carey I'd agree with, though you could put Borholm into that category and he started to show a bit towards the end of the year.

The difference would be that Kirk's ankle was shot up during 2012 season and he wasn't playing at the end of that season, so to recruit him was a buyer beware red light special even after the club knew of his health!
Mieklejohn hasn,t missed a year of footy fullstop. Hasn't had any finals success and would be motivated to have a red hot crack for a year or two I would think?
If we can't get a rock solid Parry replacement then it's a serious option surely.
You might be right about Martyn or was it no one else made him an offer? Anyway he's not the worst of them I'll give you that, Blesing and Baust were lazy dumb dumb effort's that never come off and show up as " we know our midfield is a problem, but with no coin left to recuit with and no solid homework put in around the country, this may cover up our cluelessness ;) ".
North get Gordon and O'Sullivan and we counter with Blesing and Baust.......... there is your second half finals fadeout right there!
Whatever way we argue these finer points, the buck stops with Godden and Hentchel for the last 2 offseason's recruiting efforts and they clearly haven't done the business especially when they chose Eddy over Cachia on good coin :shock:
If a miracle happens and Kirk successfully comes back in 2014 at 30 years of age, I'll retract some criticism gladly.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby ferret » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Holden 78-Why go on with this crap about the Eagles recruiting Baust. Every year all clubs invite lesser lights out just to see what they offer, Baust was one of these, he was not contracted, didn't play a reserves game and passed into oblivion like many players have and will do. To put him up as a highly sought after recruit is just bullshit and shows up your complete ignorance, lack of understanding and preparedness to try and belittle the club you supposedly support.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:14 pm

ferret wrote:Holden 78-Why go on with this crap about the Eagles recruiting Baust. Every year all clubs invite lesser lights out just to see what they offer, Baust was one of these, he was not contracted, didn't play a reserves game and passed into oblivion like many players have and will do. To put him up as a highly sought after recruit is just bullshit and shows up your complete ignorance, lack of understanding and preparedness to try and belittle the club you supposedly support.

I agree with certain points Holden78 makes as well as your own Ferret.

Yes, the Eagles never viewed Baust and Blesing as the answer to our midfield woes. At best they are depth players. But, their recruitment does suggest that the eagles midfield depth was a concern. However it also showed that it was not the eagles' top priority to go out and actually recruit decent midfielders and this in itself has proven to be a mistake.

In recent years we have seen clubs like North, Norwood, South etc use contacts interstate to identify midfielders with high potential (think Josh Francou's links with Stuart Dew and the Swans) who are aged in the 20-23 year old bracket and who are desperate to come over here and prove themselves to try and get back in the AFL. In other words, they bust their guts to make a difference. By contrast, our own attempts have been focussed on washed up ex-AFL players whose age precludes them from getting back in. Simply put, their heart isn't in it and they are playing for coin only.

Maybe the days are gone where we can have scouts searching interstate on a regular basis for potential talent. But are we using our channels correctly? Are we getting into the ear of former Eagles players now playing in the AFL to put in the 'good word' for our club and getting advice on the abilties of players recently cut. Are we talking to ex-captain Mark McKenzie regarding potential players at Box Hill? I would suggest that we haven't done this on any great level and this is bad management.

Early in Fuller's tenure, we also had a strategy of targeting promising juniors from the VFL U18s and bringing them across. Players like Treeby and Colville were recruited in this way. Why have we abandoned this strategy? These types are easier to move across because they are looking to get into the AFL and mostly likely would be either going to Univeristy or still deciding on a career path i.e. the club does not have to invest as much effort in finding them employment. The club currently has a strong list of juniors to pick from, but this should not discount talent from across the border.

As Holden has pointed out, targeting Mieklejohn would be a shrewd move in the event a decent replacement for PArry cannot be found. He has got 2 years of good footy left in him I would think. But I wouldn't bag recruitment of Bornholm or Martyn. They would hvae cost us virtually nothing and I think have plenty of upside.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby The Apostle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Probably worth a new thread...According to rumours around the traps both Crows and the Power will post big financial losses for this year...keyword spoken is "millions"...
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby beeroclock » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
ferret wrote:Holden 78-Why go on with this crap about the Eagles recruiting Baust. Every year all clubs invite lesser lights out just to see what they offer, Baust was one of these, he was not contracted, didn't play a reserves game and passed into oblivion like many players have and will do. To put him up as a highly sought after recruit is just bullshit and shows up your complete ignorance, lack of understanding and preparedness to try and belittle the club you supposedly support.

I agree with certain points Holden78 makes as well as your own Ferret.

Yes, the Eagles never viewed Baust and Blesing as the answer to our midfield woes. At best they are depth players. But, their recruitment does suggest that the eagles midfield depth was a concern. However it also showed that it was not the eagles' top priority to go out and actually recruit decent midfielders and this in itself has proven to be a mistake.

In recent years we have seen clubs like North, Norwood, South etc use contacts interstate to identify midfielders with high potential (think Josh Francou's links with Stuart Dew and the Swans) who are aged in the 20-23 year old bracket and who are desperate to come over here and prove themselves to try and get back in the AFL. In other words, they bust their guts to make a difference. By contrast, our own attempts have been focussed on washed up ex-AFL players whose age precludes them from getting back in. Simply put, their heart isn't in it and they are playing for coin only.

Maybe the days are gone where we can have scouts searching interstate on a regular basis for potential talent. But are we using our channels correctly? Are we getting into the ear of former Eagles players now playing in the AFL to put in the 'good word' for our club and getting advice on the abilties of players recently cut. Are we talking to ex-captain Mark McKenzie regarding potential players at Box Hill? I would suggest that we haven't done this on any great level and this is bad management.

Early in Fuller's tenure, we also had a strategy of targeting promising juniors from the VFL U18s and bringing them across. Players like Treeby and Colville were recruited in this way. Why have we abandoned this strategy? These types are easier to move across because they are looking to get into the AFL and mostly likely would be either going to Univeristy or still deciding on a career path i.e. the club does not have to invest as much effort in finding them employment. The club currently has a strong list of juniors to pick from, but this should not discount talent from across the border.

As Holden has pointed out, targeting Mieklejohn would be a shrewd move in the event a decent replacement for PArry cannot be found. He has got 2 years of good footy left in him I would think. But I wouldn't bag recruitment of Bornholm or Martyn. They would hvae cost us virtually nothing and I think have plenty of upside.

You've just contradicted yourself.
Mieklejohn has no AFL future so why would he be in it other than money?
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby JohnnyG » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I heard Sturt will lose 14. Luckily we get 50k to cover those losses!

It would help more if your club (and the sanfl) also got Port Power to pay $50K to each of the real 8 sanfl clubs on the same basis as the Crows are paying that $50K to each club.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby the joker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 am

The Apostle wrote:Probably worth a new thread...According to rumours around the traps both Crows and the Power will post big financial losses for this year...keyword spoken is "millions"...

Crows will post a lost buy not millions
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby beenreal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 am

JohnnyG wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I heard Sturt will lose 14. Luckily we get 50k to cover those losses!

It would help more if your club (and the sanfl) also got Port Power to pay $50K to each of the real 8 sanfl clubs on the same basis as the Crows are paying that $50K to each club.

The Corporation are paying a License Fee to join the competition. Port Adelaide are already part of that competition and are handing back a substantial junior development fee, which is enough.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 am

Guys there are plenty of other threads about the AFL clubs and its impact on the SANFL. Please keep discussion in this topic to that of player movement rumours.
Cheers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby am Bays » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 am

holden78 wrote:If a miracle happens and Kirk successfully comes back in 2014 at 30 years of age, I'll retract some criticism gladly.

Can anyone attached with the eagles confirm a rumour that Kirky has retired from SANFL footy??

if so, =D> =D> =D> on a career big fella.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 am

Big Phil wrote:
Suri wrote:Jericho is definitely back playing for Norwood next season.

I'm pretty sure Fester posted somewhere else that Luke told him he will be based in Sydney next year...

I was pretty tanked when I spoke to him back at the Parade after the GF but he made it sound like he was keen to get back into the Norwood Guernsey. Although its not like I've been wrong before :oops:
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:34 am

am Bays wrote:
holden78 wrote:If a miracle happens and Kirk successfully comes back in 2014 at 30 years of age, I'll retract some criticism gladly.

Can anyone attached with the eagles confirm a rumour that Kirky has retired from SANFL footy??

The club has announced it, as well as Day
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08 am

So many changes at each club to come over summer. The sides will be all but unrecognisable next season.
Were Ferguson and Mangan expected to depart Westies?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 am

Dogwatcher wrote:So many changes at each club to come over summer. The sides will be all but unrecognisable next season.

Throw in Tippett who seems to be a good possibility to get drafted, and the Westies defence is suddenly down to just 14 players
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:21 am

Dogwatcher wrote:So many changes at each club to come over summer. The sides will be all but unrecognisable next season.

Ferg was going home at the end of last season but decided to have one more year. His wife has just given birth to their second child and want to be closer to their family.

Mangan wasnt expected and I am not 100% certain if he is going. I believe employment might have something to do with it.

Dont think West will lose as many other players as other clubs will as most have signed for next season.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:58 am

It's going to be very interesting to see who lines up where next year.

Not feeling too confident about my boys at the moment.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Aerie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm

am Bays wrote:

I wonder if they'll remember him as a Glenelg or Eagles player...

Parry a big out, albeit it has been known he'll retire for a long time. Kirk and Day had no effect at league level in 2013 so won't be missed.

Will be interesting to see if the Eagles can keep Salter or if he is a definite out for 2014. Is Grocke a definite starter next season? Regardless, you could probably pencil in Fitzgerald at FF and Ainger at CHF and that is a handy couple of talls to build a forward line around.

Need more mids to get it to them!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby JK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Aerie wrote:Need more mids to get it to them!

That's going to be the big one for several clubs I'd suggest, and perhaps an area where someone like West is well placed.

Norwood will take a hit in that area, but I don't think we'll be the only club .. Most clubs won't replace AFL listed players with the same quality.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL