Rumours / Player Movement Discussions for 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 am

Aerie wrote:Have Sturt signed Aiden Riley, who has been delisted by the Crows? Would be a good one to get. Think he would be right to go by the start of the season with his broken leg and reckon if he plays a full season with an SANFL side could be one of the best players in the comp.

Again, one to steer clear of Aerie. It has been reported the Crows are likely to resign him as a rookie.

I would not want the eagles targeting him at the expense of other midfielders.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:12 pm

heater31 wrote:
SDK wrote:WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was on the Norwood list and a BIG favorite of Bass, he said he was signing with Norwood again after his injury induced delisting but took the $$$$$ from the Eagles and lost the chance to have another crack at AFL under a genius called Nathan Bassett.
He could well be playing AFL now if he made the right decision.

IIRC Kite went home to Melbourne immediately after being delisted, then lobbed up at the Eagles. Never seen or heard of since so I don't think Norwood missed out on much....

Think he ended up at torrens valley in the hills and may still be there ??
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:
heater31 wrote:
He was on the Norwood list and a BIG favorite of Bass, he said he was signing with Norwood again after his injury induced delisting but took the $$$$$ from the Eagles and lost the chance to have another crack at AFL under a genius called Nathan Bassett.

IIRC Kite went home to Melbourne immediately after being delisted, then lobbed up at the Eagles. Never seen or heard of since so I don't think Norwood missed out on much....

Different Aaron Kite I believe...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:16 pm

heater31 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Ah ok seen him play a few times up there and was a good player thought it may have been him ... All good play on :D
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Big Phil wrote:Good on Narni for sticking up for his mate...

Does Wundkes Mum want to tweet on his behalf too?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Booney wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Good on Narni for sticking up for his mate...

Does Wundkes Mum want to tweet on his behalf too?

Maybe she's not on twitter...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

heater31 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Yeah, that Aaron Kite played a few ressies games at Central in the early 2000's, I think?
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm

I think that's the one, BP.
An MPPS and EFC product, about two years younger than me.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:57 pm

I heard he likes to get high
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby RB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Premiers wrote:Geez you talk about Kite who was recruited as a big recruit for the Eagles and never played a game. How about others who played none/orfew? Kirk, Hentschel, Eddy, Guilhaus, Welsh, Tiller - a bit of coin spent there - and that's before we go further back to Biagi.

Very disappointing if we're signing Wundke instead of 2 good midfielders. The only possible reason for signing Wundke is
1. Grocke's rehab is not going well and tendo achilles ops are "buggers" to come back from - ? may not play top footy again.
2. Zac Fitzgerald has already told the Club he's going even before the Wundke approach.
If 1. and 2. both are correct and Salter gone, we THEN, only THEN, have a case for signing Wundke. Young Tasman Fitzgerald has the goods to step up but could be drafted.

Tiller was a key player in a flag. Guilhaus played games, just not in the first XXI, and I hardly think he was a 'big recruit' (in a metaphorical sense). Hentschel had a role with the club while he was playing, so the coin he was on was probably worth it. Welsh played most of the 2010 season. Agree with Kirk and Eddy being wastes of time and money though.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:03 pm

RB wrote:
Premiers wrote:Geez you talk about Kite who was recruited as a big recruit for the Eagles and never played a game. How about others who played none/orfew? Kirk, Hentschel, Eddy, Guilhaus, Welsh, Tiller - a bit of coin spent there - and that's before we go further back to Biagi.

Very disappointing if we're signing Wundke instead of 2 good midfielders. The only possible reason for signing Wundke is
1. Grocke's rehab is not going well and tendo achilles ops are "buggers" to come back from - ? may not play top footy again.
2. Zac Fitzgerald has already told the Club he's going even before the Wundke approach.
If 1. and 2. both are correct and Salter gone, we THEN, only THEN, have a case for signing Wundke. Young Tasman Fitzgerald has the goods to step up but could be drafted.

Tiller was a key player in a flag. Guilhaus played games, just not in the first XXI, and I hardly think he was a 'big recruit' (in a metaphorical sense). Hentschel had a role with the club while he was playing, so the coin he was on was probably worth it. Welsh played most of the 2010 season. Agree with Kirk and Eddy being wastes of time and money though.

The other thing to note about those names is that of the seven players mentioned, only two of them are actually midfielders. So in the past 5-6 years it is clear where our focus has been. Maybe that was justified given Colville, Treeby, Powell Cicca etc were at their prime but they have since moved on leaving us in the hole we are in now. Poor succession planning by the club.

The other thing I failed to mention previously is that while I think its great we back in our junior midfielders, we need to be realistic about their abilities. Those with any ability are drafted before they make league level (or they play a only a few league games such as Toumpas and Dunston) leaving the remainder as fantastic reserves players but unable to step up to league level. In short, backing in your junior midfielders is a very low percentage option if the goal is to introduce players who will make an immediate impact. In a premiership winning reserves team, we’d be lucky if 2-3 can stand up and play regular, top-class senior footy. This is why the eagles (and every other team) cannot neglect recruiting in preference to backing their juniors.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby Ronnie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Just out of interest, how many SANFL players use the services of a player agent? I read that Wundke had an agent, something i imagined would be almost entirely an AFL practice.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Ronnie wrote:Just out of interest, how many SANFL players use the services of a player agent? I read that Wundke had an agent, something i imagined would be almost entirely an AFL practice.

It is becoming more common for regular SANFL players to have them.

If you play at the national under 18 carnival it is a formality that you will be spoken to by an agent. Obviously the agents are doing smart business when those delisted offering to continue their services for their client at state league level.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby ferret » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:25 pm

mr fuller, you criticise the Eagles for recruiting/poaching players from other clubs, then you criticise the club again for trying to develop juniors what in bloody hells name do want the club to do, go dig up a few from a spud patch!!!!!! I don't think the Eagles went about poaching in the case of Wundke, he let it be well known he didn't want to stay at south, the club would have been negligent if they hadn't approached him. Just get the chip of your shoulder and have faith in the club.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 pm

ferret wrote:mr fuller, you criticise the Eagles for recruiting/poaching players from other clubs, then you criticise the club again for trying to develop juniors what in bloody hells name do want the club to do, go dig up a few from a spud patch!!!!!! I don't think the Eagles went about poaching in the case of Wundke, he let it be well known he didn't want to stay at south, the club would have been negligent if they hadn't approached him. Just get the chip of your shoulder and have faith in the club.

Incorrect

I have no problem with them backing juniors. But as I mentioned earlier, it is a low percentage option because very few go on to be decent footy players. If they did, a club like Glenelg would be dominating right now given the excellent performances of their reserves in recent years. It just needs to be balanced with recruiting ready made players from outside the club.

As far as poaching from other clubs, I do criticise the way we go about it. Why? Because it shows laziness on behalf of the recruiters. Yes we might get a Wundke from South but is there a better option interstate? Would we even know? Of course, it can be harder to convince a player to move here and requires more work of officials. But the payoffs can be great. North, Norwood, Sturt etc have all done this to good effect in recent years bringing in quality players. Our own efforts have been dismal but maybe we don't have the right people involved. The other thing this practice does is to give the club a general bad reputation. Whether or not it is warranted the club gets tarnished as being sneaky or underhand etc.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby wedgetail » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:40 pm

With no Salter, Grocke in doubt along with Staple and Fitzgerald, we needed a key forward so Wundke a good get IMHO.
As far as poaching from other clubs, all clubs do it so why be left behind?
Still need quality midfielders, more than happy for Boyd to come over. As far as salary cap goes, a lot of space freed up with McKenzie especially, Cicca, Shirley, Parry etc going in the last year or two. The only costly recruit in that time has been Ainger.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Rumoured ins at Centrals so far

-McIntyre (Sturt)
-Lonergan (Richmond)
-Hoskins (port)
-Hynes (return)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Reckon Longrean is rumoured to be an in for 5 different clubs depending who you talk to
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Big Phil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Brodlach wrote:Reckon Longrean is rumoured to be an in for 5 different clubs depending who you talk to

I know he spoke to North but was asking more than they were willing to pay...

They have to fit into the salary cap Jimmy Allan, Rhys O'Keefe coming back from Carlton and Jesse O'Brien from Brisbane, as well as Nathan Blee and Daniel Stewart, who have reportedly told the Roosters they want to stay...

Heard again today that James Boyd will end up at The Bays...
Last edited by Big Phil on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 pm

whufc wrote:Rumoured ins at Centrals so far

-McIntyre (Sturt)
-Lonergan (Richmond)
-Hoskins (port)
-Hynes (return)

Not sure that Damian Hynes will be back at Central - I think Seaton organized him an apprenticeship and he is still finishing that of in 2014...
Big Phil
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL