Rumours / Player Movement Discussions for 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Postby o five » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Grahaml wrote:
o five wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:No im not worried about it, the clubs made their own bed letting the Crows in.
I think no salary cap in the SANFL would be great. AFL would disagree though and there's also the small problem of half the clubs struggling to pay the current salary cap
Country clubs have already been faced with the scenario of do we pay the big bucks to an import or start paying a talented local who gets chased by other country clubs.
Why does it matter if the standard of the SANFL drops? You still follow your club, you will still celebrate a premiership. Infact if the standard drops alot the Crows might faaark off

Having no salary cap in the SANFL would certainly suit my club, but then it will just turn out to be a similar set up to the EPL where the rich clubs pilfer the smaller clubs and you end up with 5 genuine favourites and the rest can please themselves.
I am with you regarding still following my club no matter the standard of play, but what about the average supporter who still wants to be entertained?
Unfortunately your last statement is a fair way off yet, atleast until the AFL bring in a national reserves comp. Don`t hold your breath :(

A few years ago now I was advocating doubling the salary cap in the SANFL. But there's no way you could think of that these days with the finances of the SANFL looking very unhealthy. Abolishing it completely will lead to clubs going bust or being uncompetitive.

However, we need something. If there is no clear jump in standard from SANFL to the lower levels then the SANFL will fold pretty quickly.

Agree totally.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:06 am

Wedgie wrote:
Ian wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote: It is! Being up there with the best in the country is something I'll always remember that others will never get to experience especially beating Collingwood in Melbourne but I digress.

You were alive for that? Older than I thought.
I thought at the young age you would've been, you'd have still been a Norwood supporter at that time.
Happy to be proven wrong ;)
I'd take that as a compliment Wedgie, I thought you were old enough to remember the COA win clearly ;)

Yeah I would if DW hadn't been pissed most times he'd seen me! :lol:
Some people ask me questions about what Tom Leahy was like in the flesh! :lol:

You beat me to it :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:56 am

Centrals made it known they were going to recruit heavily for 2014, but seem to have missed out on a lot of players that they targeted. McIntyre might be handy but still too inconsistent even at SANFL level.

Losing Seb, OHara, Hardy & Boyd, with 3 of them finishing top 5 in the 2013 B&F and the other the Leading Goalkicker.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Dutchy wrote:Centrals made it known they were going to recruit heavily for 2014, but seem to have missed out on a lot of players that they targeted. McIntyre might be handy but still too inconsistent even at SANFL level.

Losing Seb, OHara, Hardy, Sibenaler,obst, Nash, Dutschke, Boyd, with 3 of them finishing top 5 in the 2013 B&F and the other the Leading Goalkicker.

Agree 100%

And with Reichert out for 2014 with an ACL injury.

That's 4 of the top 6 in b&f.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Centrals made it known they were going to recruit heavily for 2014, but seem to have missed out on a lot of players that they targeted. McIntyre might be handy but still too inconsistent even at SANFL level.

Losing Seb, OHara, Hardy, Sibenaler,obst, Nash, Dutschke, Boyd, with 3 of them finishing top 5 in the 2013 B&F and the other the Leading Goalkicker.

Agree 100%

North lost 5 of their top 6 in the b&f from 2012 and still managed to play off in the Grand Final in 2013. What I am suggesting is that there is now such a turnover of players that with selective recruiting teams no longer will necessarily drop away when they lose quality.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby bickle » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 pm

o five wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
o five wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:No im not worried about it, the clubs made their own bed letting the Crows in.
I think no salary cap in the SANFL would be great. AFL would disagree though and there's also the small problem of half the clubs struggling to pay the current salary cap
Country clubs have already been faced with the scenario of do we pay the big bucks to an import or start paying a talented local who gets chased by other country clubs.
Why does it matter if the standard of the SANFL drops? You still follow your club, you will still celebrate a premiership. Infact if the standard drops alot the Crows might faaark off

Having no salary cap in the SANFL would certainly suit my club, but then it will just turn out to be a similar set up to the EPL where the rich clubs pilfer the smaller clubs and you end up with 5 genuine favourites and the rest can please themselves.
I am with you regarding still following my club no matter the standard of play, but what about the average supporter who still wants to be entertained?
Unfortunately your last statement is a fair way off yet, atleast until the AFL bring in a national reserves comp. Don`t hold your breath :(

A few years ago now I was advocating doubling the salary cap in the SANFL. But there's no way you could think of that these days with the finances of the SANFL looking very unhealthy. Abolishing it completely will lead to clubs going bust or being uncompetitive.

However, we need something. If there is no clear jump in standard from SANFL to the lower levels then the SANFL will fold pretty quickly.

Agree totally.

probably already said but do the afl reserves clubs fall under the sanfl salary cap as well. & what is the limit on sanfl caps.
bickle
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby DOC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 am

AFL teams not subject to the SANFL cap of 375K.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:30 am

DOC wrote:AFL teams not subject to the SANFL cap of 375K.

^ one more of the legion reasons why they have no place in Our League Competition.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby UK Fan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Pseudo wrote:

^ one more of the legion reasons why they have no place in Our League Competition.

Nick chigwidden/holdfast shores council disagrees!!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm sure they'll ask for forgiveness later.

Norwood says hello.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby SimonH » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:24 am

Grahaml wrote:A few years ago now I was advocating doubling the salary cap in the SANFL. But there's no way you could think of that these days with the finances of the SANFL looking very unhealthy. Abolishing it completely will lead to clubs going bust or being uncompetitive.

Without trivialising the problems regarding players drifting away from SANFL (or never arriving at SANFL) for easy money with less commitment in the country, it does need to be kept in some kind of perspective. Players have always done it; and whether the rate of it is increasing, is more of an impressionistic thing than something easily quantified. (You can count the ex-SANFL players on official 'out' sheets who've gone to country clubs, but you'll never count players from the country who may have been approached by a SANFL club but decided not to come.) I don't think anyone would doubt the result if the best country club in the state played the wooden spoon SANFL club. The substantially higher standard of the SANFL league comp isn't only achieved by taking the same standard of players and flogging them for 5 days/nights a week instead of 1 or 2 nights in the country. You're also starting from a base of more talented players, most of whom (i.e. the 7th-to-21st best players in a club, not the stars) are attracted by the higher standard (and the carrot of AFL interest if they're good enough) rather than principally by $ signs.

One thing that is a truly terrible idea, is abolishing the SANFL reserves. Having U/18s that flow through reserves ultimately to league, in the same club wearing the same jumper, is the lifeblood of the competition. Talented U/18s, slim to no chance of getting drafted, and not yet a realistic chance of getting picked in the league squad, would be lost to the system and a fair proportion would never come back without reserves. In the middle of the year, it's a real feather in the cap of U/18s who are performing well for them to be called up to reserves; motivating them to come back and train in the summertime once they're 19 or so.

This is a point that has been overlooked in the whole AFL reserves debate. The real death of the Port Adelaide Magpies as a SANFL club, is not about 15 or so SANFL league-standard (or fringe) players who played for them in 2013 who won't be there in 2014; nor is it about where 10 or so AFL-listed players will be playing their SANFL. It's that from 2015, the tap for future talent flowing through to the Magpies reserves and ultimately league, has been turned off. And the pipes will be dug up and carted away.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:57 am

Losing Seb, OHara, Hardy & Boyd, with 3 of them finishing top 5 in the 2013 B&F and the other the Leading Goalkicker.

Cheers for that.
I'm still not sold on underwhelming, a lot of the blokes we recruited over the past decade were 'no-names' and the same can be said for other clubs.
No doubt, though, there are big shoes to fill.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby SDK » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I think we should blame global warming on Norwood too.
SDK
League - Best 21

Been liked: 51 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:20 pm

SDK wrote:I think we should blame global warming on Norwood too.

Yeah, good angle - now you sound like a paps/pams supporter.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby jim5112 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm

UK Fan wrote:

Agree 100%

We don't yet know how good the replacements are. Hopefully they are a better fit for us than the little rover was.

Norwood are even worse off than us. They will be without 10 of the their 10 top possession winners from the 2013 GF.
jim5112
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

SOUTH Adelaide has signed ex-Carlton utility Frazer Dale, adding to a strong off-season recruiting campaign at Noarlunga.

The Panthers beat Glenelg for Dale's signature just before Christmas and have also lured West Adelaide goal sneak Matthew Rankine.

Earlier in the pre-season, South recruited ex-Port Magpies players Luke Durdin and Matthew Rose, along with key position Victorian Lachlan Boyd.

Brent Macleod returns to the club after two season back in country Victoria.

Incoming Panthers coach Brad Gotch said he was so far happy with how pre-season was going at Noarlunga.

Gotch lured Dale to the club through a personal connection to his family.

The 187cm half forward played two senior matches for the Blues in 2012 and was in the top five endurance runners at the club.

"He can run which we see as a real asset given how big Noarlunga is,'' Gotch said.

"We see him as vital either on a wing or coming out of the backline and providing run."

South's only major out during the pre-season - Crows and Power listed players aside - was two-time Ken Farmer Medallist Michael Wundke who was signed a three-year deal with Woodville-West Torrens.

Gotch stressed South, eighth with a 6-14 record in 2013, was coming from a long way back but believed it had the nucleus of a competitive squad this year.

Sturt, the Eagles and Glenelg have been the other strong pre-season movers.

Sturt added ex-Melbourne on-baller Rory Taggert just before Christmas, and had previously signed Port Adelaide Magpies trio Zane Kirkwood, Kory Beard and James Watt.

The Eagles have recruited Wundke, Central District premiership player James Boyd and fellow ex-Dog Jacob Templeton.

Glenelg, under new coach Nick Stephens, has signed a host of players fresh off AFL lists including Sam Lonergan (Essendon/Richmond) and Aaron Joseph (Carlton).
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby beenreal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:22 pm

100% correct. At $400 per game for the SANFL players the salary cap is much lower
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 pm

beenreal wrote:

100% correct. At $400 per game for the SANFL players the salary cap is much lower

And when John Butcher spends the entire season with the Power reserves he takes up the entire salary cap that other clubs have to work to.
Must be a great player ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby beenreal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
beenreal wrote:

And when John Butcher spends the entire season with the Power reserves he takes up the entire salary cap that other clubs have to work to.
Must be a great player ;)

And he's been a contracted Port Adelaide player for the past 3 years. When you had Colquhoun and Callinan, etc. playing for your mob last year there were no complaints about the Salary cap.

But while we're on contracts, this new Full Forward of yours comes from Port Lincoln, which is still Port Adelaide's zone. I certainly hope the appropriate transfer fee was paid.
Last edited by beenreal on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL