2013/14 NBL Season + Off-season news/Boomers

Re: 2013/14 NBL Season

Postby Gozu » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Another win for the 36ers last night cementing their spot 2nd on the ladder beating the Tigers 90-87. However, the 36ers were up 20 at half-time and at one stage had a 26 point lead, still a win is a win with the 36ers now 5-2 on the season. Ervin had 21 and DJ 19 for us and for the Tigers Worthington had 28 and Goulding 23.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Round 5 results:

Sydney 99 (Madgen 31, Ogilvy 23, Sanders 15, Carmouche 11) def Cairns 86 (McCamey 16, Burston 14, Tragardh 14, Wilson 12, Steindl 10)

Adelaide 90 (Ervin 21, Johnson 19, Gibson 13, Schenscher 11) def Melbourne 87 (Worthington 28, Goulding 23, Ballinger 16)

Townsville 91 (Conklin 33, Pace 21, Markovic 12) def New Zealand 78 (Wilkinson 19, Corletto 15, Abercrombie 12, Pledger 12)

Melbourne 81 (Goulding 29, Worthington 20, Morrison 12, Ubaka 10) def Wollongong 76 (Clarke 17, Coenraad 14, Martin 13, Forman 11, Tiggs 11)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 am

The Perth Wildcats beat the Cairns Taipans 75-68 tonight in Perth with the Wildcats now going to 7-0. James Ennis top scored with 22 and for the Taipans Alex Loughton had 14. The 36ers play the Breakers in NZ again early Friday night.

Big story around that the Sydney Kings have signed NBA journeyman Sam Young just the Kings haven't confirmed yet which import will be getting released after their last game on Friday night!

NBL games coming up on TV this weekend:

Friday night: Townsville @ Sydney at 9:30pm (One)

Sunday afternoon: Perth @ Wollongong at 2pm (Ten)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:25 pm

4 seconds to play, Gary Ervin steals the ball and lays up on the buzzer for the 36ers to win by a point. Amazing finish
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Gozu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:4 seconds to play, Gary Ervin steals the ball and lays up on the buzzer for the 36ers to win by a point. Amazing finish

GE Money is clutch!

Can't believe we snatched that had no business winning that game :)
Gozu
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 am

Gozu wrote:
Brodlach wrote:4 seconds to play, Gary Ervin steals the ball and lays up on the buzzer for the 36ers to win by a point. Amazing finish

GE Money is clutch!

Can't believe we snatched that had no business winning that game :)

Gazza Gazza Can Can. My recently adopted favourite player does it again. Not long till the hype starts to spread and the Adelaide arena may become a very very tough place to visit as opposed to Martys pleasure dome where time outs were not welcome ;)

They certainly seem like a different unit. No doubt some real belief building amongst the group.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:06 am

The import merry go round appears in full swing with the Melbourne Tigers today announcing they've released Ayinde Ubaka who himself was signed only days before the season started when he replaced the injured Stephen Dennis. The Tigers expert to announce the new import in 48 hours.

Also the Kings have yet to announce who they have signed as their new import but have confirmed that Jesse Sanders has been released.

Round 6 results:

Perth 75 (Ennis 22, Beal 13, Martin 12) def Cairns 68 (Loughton 14, McCamey 13, Weigh 10)

Adelaide 95 (Ervin 26, Johnson 20, Frye 12, Petrie 10) def New Zealand 94 (Abercrombie 21, Johnson 17, Vukona 17, Pledger 11, Webster 11)

Sydney 88 (Madgen 23, Ogilvy 15, Sanders 14, Carmouche 12) def Townsville 67 (Pace 14, Hinder 10)

Melbourne 88 (Goulding 31, Ballinger 18, Tomlinson 16, Morrison 10) def Cairns 85 (Loughton 20, Wilson 18, Steindl 12, Tragardh 10)

Perth 89 (Beal 24, Ennis 21, Redhage 16) def Wollongong 76 (Clarke 20, Forman 19, Gruber 15)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 am

Gary Ervin's game winning steal and lay up at the buzzer:

Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:27 am

Ive seen another clip which is better than that, I will try and look for it again today, its alot closer and from a different angle.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 pm

The Sydney Kings have announced the release of import point guard Jesse Sanders. In his place, former Indiana Pacer Sam Young has been signed.
Young has arrived in the country this week and is expected to take the court in a blockbuster matchup this Sunday in Perth against Wildcats star James Ennis.
Prior to just his second training session with the team, NBL.com.au sat down with Young, in his first exclusive interview on Australian soil.
Sam. It’s great to have you in Sydney. How did it come about that you’re now in the NBL with the Kings?

Once I got waived from the San Antonio Spurs I was pretty much looking for another opportunity where I could go and play basketball somewhere else fast. I was sitting at home for a couple of weeks and the process of waiting it out was killing me.
I was like Joel (Sam’s manager Joel Bell), “What’s the best situation we can find right now?” And he was like “Well, I have been talking to Sydney Kings in Australia and it’s a pretty good situation.”
He said he liked the team. He liked the city. He knew Shane Heal. He said Shane was one of his good friends. So I had a look into it and checked it out and I was enjoying what I was looking at, you know. So I went online and I Googled Sydney, Australia. And I was like “Yeah I can see myself there.”
You’ve turned up at a good time of year. Summer in Sydney is pretty special!

Yeah, definitely. And then after I started talking to people about it everybody just had so much positive information about Sydney. They were saying how beautiful it was. Saying it was one of the top five places they wanted to visit. So once I saw the numbers and talked to Joel I decided this was definitely the place I wanted to be.
Apart from the beaches and the tourist spots you’ve read about online, what do you know about the Sydney Kings and the NBL?
I don’t know a whole lot about it to be honest. But I’ve been getting a lot of information and hearing about what’s going on out here. I know of a few guys who have played out here. It’s definitely a growing league. I’m here to help.
The circumstances surrounding your arrival were slightly awkward the past few days. Jesse Sanders was a very popular part of the squad and it all happened quite quickly. Was that tough for you to be a part of?

Yeah that was unfortunate. But I’ve been in a hotel for the past few days. Everybody has been treating me great. The team is nice. The coaches are nice. I haven’t found a negative thing to say about Sydney yet. I love it.
I even talked to Joel about trying to sign me for another year over here if it’s possible and everything fits. And I’ve only been here a few days. I can’t tell you how much I’ve been enjoying it since I’ve been here.
You’re already thinking about another year in the NBL? That’s great and will excite the fans! What can they expect to see from you on the court?

Oh man. A lot of defence. A lot of hustle. You’re going to see some scoring. A lot of scoring. I’m going to try and build some stats. Rebounds. Put points on the board. Highlights. Crazy highlights. I know the fans are looking for some highlights. But you know I’m here for one reason and that’s to win a championship.
You’re joining a team that is going quite well. They’ve strung a few wins together and are third on the ladder. Things are looking good for the Kings.

I haven’t seen the team play yet. I’ve seen some film. I would have liked to see them play in person. But the next time they play I’m going to be on the floor with them. That’s exciting. But we’ve got a good team. We’ve got a good big man. Some nice guards. Everybody can shoot you know. So we’ve got a pretty nice team. I like our chances.
You bring a lot of experience to the club. NBA experience is priceless. Do you think with your background you can help the team develop?

Yeah, and not only do I have NBA experience but I have NBA playoff experience. Anybody can tell you that the NBA is a tough league. But then the playoffs are a higher level again to just a regular season game. But I think with my experience I am definitely going to be able to bring a dimension to this team that they can utilise.
I think even on the defensive end, from the things I have seen on the film I can help on the defensive end. And once we display better defence, we’re going to be an even better team just because of that, you know.
There is some great footage from the playoffs last year of you going head to head with LeBron James. You were up in his face being pretty imposing. What can you tell us about that?

I mean, you know everybody knows me for my toughness. I always play tough. I never back down for nobody. That’s just a characteristic I’m going to bring to the Sydney Kings. Everybody knows if you get Sam Young, Sam Young is going to be tough and he’s going to play hard.
LeBron would respect that wouldn’t he?

Yeah for sure. Even afterwards, LeBron and I exchanged words and he was cool with that. It’s just in the heat of the battle it gets crazy and you’ve got to respect the guy for not backing down. Especially when so much is on the line.
There is a YouTube clip that we’ve been taking a look at here. 60 Dunks of Sam Young. Are we going to see some aerial tricks while you’re here?

Yeah for sure. I did a couple of dunks in practice yesterday and the guys were like “Oh wow, we could use some of that!” I can’t wait to get out on the court so I can showcase some of that.
Your first assignment is on Sunday in Perth against James Ennis. He has been the star of the NBL this season and has made quite a big impression over here. Are you aware of that?

I heard, I heard. And that’s going to be an interesting game to watch for the fans. I have already heard a bit of hype about that game. And hopefully the fans all watch it so they can see a little bit of what I’m going to bring to the table this year. I feel like that’s going to be a great challenge for our team and I can’t wait.
So look out James Ennis?

Oh yeah. Oh yeah!
Well welcome to the NBL.

Thank you. I appreciate it. It’s great to be here.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby BZB27 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 pm

The Melbourne Tigers have reached agreement with American guard Mustapha Farrakhan to fill their import vacancy.
Planning for Ayinde Ubaka’s departure for personal reasons, the Tigers quickly finalised discussions with Farrakhan, who arrived in Melbourne on Sunday.
A graduate of the University of Virginia and most recently at pre-season training camp with the NBA’s LA Clippers, Farrakhan’s signing is subject to final approval by the NBL.
Should approval be granted, it is expected Farrakhan will be in uniform and make his NBL debut for the Tigers against the Townsville Crocodiles at The Cage on Sunday.
“Mustapha has a skillset we think will complement the style of game we are trying to play and the skillsets of our players,” Tigers coach Chris Anstey said.
“He gives us a different look and is more in the mould of (injured import Stephen Dennis). We are very confident he will help our group on both ends of the floor.”
At 193cm and 82kg, 25-year-old Farrakhan is expected to bring scoring and athleticism to the Tigers’ roster, providing crucial depth in the guard rotation.
After four seasons at Virginia, where he averaged 13.5 ppg as a senior, Farrakhan embarked on a pro career, largely in the NBA D-League.
Drafted in the first round by the D-League’s Bakersfield Jam, Farrakhan has also been with the Iowa Energy, Sioux Falls Skyforce and Idaho Stampede. Farrakhan was also with the Milwaukee Bucks in the 2012 pre-season.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Certainly looking forward to seeing Young & Farrakhan in action!

Especially Young 5 years NBA experience with Memphis, Philly & Indiana and with only positive things said about him.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Sam Young's NBA highlights:

Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 am

Wonder if he can dunk ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 pm

NBL games coming up on TV this weekend:

Friday night: Perth @ Adelaide at 9:30pm (One)

Sunday afternoon: Townsville @ Melbourne at 2pm (One)

*Both games are on One this weekend
Gozu
Coach

Postby Jase » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Gozu wrote:NBL games coming up on TV this weekend:

Friday night: Perth @ Adelaide at 9:30pm (One)

Sunday afternoon: Townsville @ Melbourne at 2pm (One)

*Both games are on One this weekend

Going to the game tomorrow night, front row, baseline just next to the players race... can't wait... will be a cracker of a game...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:27 am

Good win by the lads tonight, 91-86.
Led by 20 at HT
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Gozu » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:31 am

Fantastic win over the previously undefeated Wildcats. Like you said Jim 36ers were up 20 at H/T but Perth were always going to come back but 36ers hung on by 5 points.

Bad news for Frye who's injured his ankle again.

Saw block of the year tonight with Damien Martin's huge block on Ervin and then save while diving out of court.

Redhage went nuts in the 2nd half finished with 30 and DJ & GE Money were the best for the 36ers.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Jase » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 am

Gozu wrote:Fantastic win over the previously undefeated Wildcats. Like you said Jim 36ers were up 20 at H/T but Perth were always going to come back but 36ers hung on by 5 points.

Bad news for Frye who's injured his ankle again.

Saw block of the year tonight with Damien Martin's huge block on Ervin and then save while diving out of court.

Redhage went nuts in the 2nd half finished with 30 and DJ & GE Money were the best for the 36ers.

Was awesome, first game we've been to this season. What surprised me was Perth's 3pt % was better than their field goal %. That and the 6ers not hitting one 3 pointer. Bizarre...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 552 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball