2014 SANFL Grand Final underlights on a Friday night?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

When is your preferred time slot for the SANFL Grand Final?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 am

Friday night on AFL GF eve
6%
Friday night of long weekend
15%
Friday night (other)
4%
Sunday of long weekend
56%
Sunday of AFL prelim weekend
7%
Saturday night of long weekend
6%
Other (add suggestion as a comment below)
7%

Total votes : 54

Re: 2014 SANFL Grand Final underlights on a Friday night?

Postby Pseudo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Leigh Whicker reiterated the idea of having the GF on a Friday night prior to the AFL GF.
What are the main advantages for the SANFL of having the game played at this time?

Whicker is a deadset idiot.

Ideally the SANFL preliminary final would be played on the Friday night before the other league's grand final. This would allow the SANFL Grand Final to be played on the following Saturday afternoon, as the prelim winner would have more than a week's break.

The Grand Final must NEVER be played at night. Playing it in the afternoon leaves time for celebrations afterwards.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pseudo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm

holden78 wrote:Any AFL related games need to be boycotted from day one!

^ this.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Pseudo wrote:
holden78 wrote:Any AFL related games need to be boycotted from day one!

^ this.

yep.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby beenreal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:45 am

udogs01 wrote:Doesn't really matter what we think....chances are it will be Crows v Power reserves in the GF from now on, so it will be when the AFL want it to be played. :(

But the AFL clubs won't be taking it seriously remember? :roll:

I reckon a Friday night Prelim at Adelaide Oval prior to the AFL GF would be an event.

No a fan of a night Grand Final in either comp. But I am open to a twilight game. Plenty of time to make a day of it, both before and after?
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby am Bays » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 am

beenreal wrote:
udogs01 wrote:Doesn't really matter what we think....chances are it will be Crows v Power reserves in the GF from now on, so it will be when the AFL want it to be played. :(

I reckon a Friday night Prelim at Adelaide Oval prior to the AFL GF would be an event.

quote]

Agreed.

I reckon start the SANFL trial games when the AFL start their season and program it so we keep our GF on the long weekend in October.

Anyone who thinks the SANFL GF won't get lost in media milieu of Prelim week are delusional.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 am

am Bays wrote:
beenreal wrote:

quote]

Agreed.

I reckon start the SANFL trial games when the AFL start their season and program it so we keep our GF on the long weekend in October.

Anyone who thinks the SANFL GF won't get lost in media milieu of Prelim week are delusional.

Only issue with that is there is less footy played when the weather is good. Should be as many proper SANFL games in late March/April/May and September as possible to keep crowds up. Only solution is to have more than 18 Rounds!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am

Aerie wrote:
am Bays wrote:
beenreal wrote:

quote]

Agreed.

Only issue with that is there is less footy played when the weather is good. Should be as many proper SANFL games in late March/April/May and September as possible to keep crowds up. Only solution is to have more than 18 Rounds!

With the AFL having 2 byes next year I wonder if the SANFL will mirror that?
On that, if programmed right it effects the Crows and Power for 4 rounds, so therefore have 4 byes in the shitty weather months which enables us to keep our GF in October
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby SABRE » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

If the Grand Final isn't played on the Sunday of the long weekend, then it might as well
be played at 3am on Feb 29th, but only when it falls on a Wednesday and only if it's raining !
:rolleyes:
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Postby Psyber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Aerie wrote: Only issue with that is there is less footy played when the weather is good. Should be as many proper SANFL games in late March/April/May and September as possible to keep crowds up. Only solution is to have more than 18 Rounds!
When there were only 8 teams in the past each got a home game against the other and there were several matches on neutral grounds for third meetings.
I used to enjoy going to Kensington Oval which was one of the grounds used then.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:27 am

SANFL are canvassing the clubs for their views on season dates. I hear that all options are based on an 18 game with two split round season making 20 rounds plus a state game. This will cause the GF to be played earlier than it is currently. Can't see how there is benefit in SANFL teams playing fewer games than in the past and not sure there is any benefit for the 8 genuine clubs in moving the GF.

Suggest if you don't like the idea then contact your club.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 am

So the clubs are going to make more money from less games...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Harry the Horse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am

SANFLnut wrote:SANFL are canvassing the clubs for their views on season dates. I hear that all options are based on an 18 game with two split round season making 20 rounds plus a state game. This will cause the GF to be played earlier than it is currently. Can't see how there is benefit in SANFL teams playing fewer games than in the past and not sure there is any benefit for the 8 genuine clubs in moving the GF.

Suggest if you don't like the idea then contact your club.

That worked well last time
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am

Start early, finish late and have a month off in June so we can all go overseas :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Psyber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:Start early, finish late and have a month off in June so we can all go overseas :)

That would work for me.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Although I would love for the Grand Final to remain on the October Long Weekend my gut feeling tells me this won't happen.

For example if the GF remains on Oct Long Weekend and after accounting for 3 other weeks of finals and 21 rounds (20 rounds and 1 state game) then the season will start on the weekend of the 19th April. (Is this too late to start the season, also what happens when Easter falls earlier in the month of April)

More than likely what I can see happening is the SANFL Grand Final will be played on the AFL Preliminary FInal weekend which would make it Sunday 21st of Sep next year and allow for the season to commence on the weekend of the 5th of April.

As we know AFL Prelims don't get played on Sunday's so Adelaide Oval would always be available on the Sunday.

If the Grand Final is played before the AFL Grand Final then this will prob lead to less media attention IMO especially if either Adelaide AFL team is playing in the Prelim final.

So I guess the real question is Start the Season late and get unrivaled footy media attention for Grand FInal Week or begin earlier and potentially lose some media coverage. This might all depend on who broadcasts the SANFL as well mind you.

Another option and this is extremly left of centre is for the SANFL to petition the State Government to move the Labour day public holiday forward a fortnight. As far as I am aware the actual date is not relevant and the State Government has done this before. (Adelaide Cup Day).

Anyway just my thoughts.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:21 pm

So long as its after the AFL GF I dont care
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby prowling panther » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:30 pm

I would not be to upset if our GF was held on the Sat before the AFL GF

The Crows v Power SANFL GF would be the ideal curtainraiser to the AFL Prel Final between Power and the Crows at Adelaide oval. (snigger, snigger)
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby RB » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:So long as its after the AFL GF I dont care

x2.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Although I would love for the Grand Final to remain on the October Long Weekend my gut feeling tells me this won't happen.

For example if the GF remains on Oct Long Weekend and after accounting for 3 other weeks of finals and 21 rounds (20 rounds and 1 state game) then the season will start on the weekend of the 19th April. (Is this too late to start the season, also what happens when Easter falls earlier in the month of April)

More than likely what I can see happening is the SANFL Grand Final will be played on the AFL Preliminary FInal weekend which would make it Sunday 21st of Sep next year and allow for the season to commence on the weekend of the 5th of April.

As we know AFL Prelims don't get played on Sunday's so Adelaide Oval would always be available on the Sunday.

If the Grand Final is played before the AFL Grand Final then this will prob lead to less media attention IMO especially if either Adelaide AFL team is playing in the Prelim final.

So I guess the real question is Start the Season late and get unrivaled footy media attention for Grand FInal Week or begin earlier and potentially lose some media coverage. This might all depend on who broadcasts the SANFL as well mind you.

Another option and this is extremly left of centre is for the SANFL to petition the State Government to move the Labour day public holiday forward a fortnight. As far as I am aware the actual date is not relevant and the State Government has done this before. (Adelaide Cup Day).

Anyway just my thoughts.

This would then clash with all amateur finals as well meaning both crowds would be done. SAAFL gf's usually draw reasonable crowds so if it clashes with the SANFL GF, expect both grand finals to be taking spectators from each other. Definitely not the ideal situation.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Play it whenever. Not going to make a lick of difference.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL