Adelaide Oval - NEW Home of SA Footy

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Adelaide Oval - NEW Home of SA Footy

Postby The Patriach » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Great to see the progress of the Adelaide Oval at the moment - a couple of very decent shots from Zac Milbank show how good it's looking already!

Bring on March 2014!!!

2AO.jpg
2AO.jpg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 6719 times

1AO.jpg
1AO.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 6719 times
The Patriach
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Adelaide Oval - NEW Home of SA Footy

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Personally I think it looks ridiculous having grandstands surround 3/4 of the stadium with the remaining 1/4 left as grass on 'this hill'. The SA Government will try to pump it up as ‘forward thinking’ while the rest of the country will view it as yet another quaint Adelaide hybrid solution. Think the retractable lights, Southern Expressway etc.

I did not think there was anything wrong with Footy Park. But if the Government was determined to throw away money on a new stadium they should have done it right. In 10 years people will be scratching their heads wondering why a fully enclosed stadium was not developed.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:I did not think there was anything wrong with Footy Park. But if the Government was determined to throw away money on a new stadium they should have done it right. In 10 years people will be scratching their heads wondering why a fully enclosed stadium was not developed.

Just couldn't get to the bloody thing.....

We spend half a billion on a half arsed job and they wonder why we are called a backwater and pissant :shock: :roll:

Should have save the cash and built a proper one on Victoria Park!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:03 pm

I like it. Thank God they left the hill there. The world has enough concrete basins in it already.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Patriach » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Personally I think it looks ridiculous having grandstands surround 3/4 of the stadium with the remaining 1/4 left as grass on 'this hill'. The SA Government will try to pump it up as ‘forward thinking’ while the rest of the country will view it as yet another quaint Adelaide hybrid solution. Think the retractable lights, Southern Expressway etc.

I did not think there was anything wrong with Footy Park. But if the Government was determined to throw away money on a new stadium they should have done it right. In 10 years people will be scratching their heads wondering why a fully enclosed stadium was not developed.

This mentality annoys me immensely. After construction is completed we'll have a world class stadium which is still relatively individual, rather than a generic concrete bowl that has no life. This ground is 100% what SA needs in terms of capacity, feature, standards and functionality. If you don't like it, please stay away and feel free to patronise all of the blockbuster games left at AAMI Stadium in the future ;)
The Patriach
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Hondo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:05 pm

heater31 wrote:Should have save the cash and built a proper one on Victoria Park!

Saved it and then spent it you mean?
Last edited by Hondo on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:32 pm

The Patriach wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Personally I think it looks ridiculous having grandstands surround 3/4 of the stadium with the remaining 1/4 left as grass on 'this hill'. The SA Government will try to pump it up as ‘forward thinking’ while the rest of the country will view it as yet another quaint Adelaide hybrid solution. Think the retractable lights, Southern Expressway etc.

This mentality annoys me immensely. After construction is completed we'll have a world class stadium which is still relatively individual, rather than a generic concrete bowl that has no life. This ground is 100% what SA needs in terms of capacity, feature, standards and functionality. If you don't like it, please stay away and feel free to patronise all of the blockbuster games left at AAMI Stadium in the future ;)

I’m curious what you are thinking when you mean we will have a ‘world class stadium’. This term has frequently been thrown around by the Government when describing the new development and to me is just a buzz word they use. What does it actually mean? More specifically, why is Football Park apparently not world class?

Does ‘world-class’ refer to seating capacity? Amenities? Car-parking? All of these things?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

I think it will be great. Glad they still have the grass. Will still be able to take the kids down to a Sheffield Shield day and have them run around. The Moreton Bay Figs give it a sense of enclosure anyway.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby PhilH » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Some of the better new stadiums around the world especially baseball parks in the US
have moved from being complete concrete circles fully seated to involving a range of viewing experiences.

I for one am glad Adelaide Oval still has a hill, even though it still seams to shrink everytime I look at it.

It will probably be the only AFL oval where a good group of people can still stand in a good position to watch the footy.

I for one wished AAMI Stadium has a viewing section that wasn't just seats so you could run some other activities there instead of forcing them outside away from the action.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby therisingblues » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:33 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Aerie wrote:I think it will be great. Glad they still have the grass. Will still be able to take the kids down to a Sheffield Shield day and have them run around. The Moreton Bay Figs give it a sense of enclosure anyway.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Psyber » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Adelaide Oval? ho-hum...
I'm unlikely to ever go there - parking is going to be hopeless from what I've read, and bussing it is likely to be impractical for me.

For anything I do need to attend to in the CBD I try to drive to Parkside than bus it in the rest of the way, rather than get ripped off for the parking.
I could go by bus on my Seniors Card for free but it takes too long, and it is easier for me to just drive to Marion or Mount Barker instead.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Ye olde tight arse has spoketh.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:20 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Ye olde tight arse has spoketh.

and so has Ye worlds biggest trolleth.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:54 pm

So haseth the biggest slapper
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby southee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:34 pm

I wont be going.... give it 1 or 2 years for the sugar to hit the public sheep..... then it will be one of the biggest white elephants in Australia.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 pm

We dont need the Vics to bash SA, we do a pretty good job of that already. I go to the Gabba regularly but something is missing....GRASS! Adelaide has done it right.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Psyber wrote:Adelaide Oval? ho-hum...
I'm unlikely to ever go there - parking is going to be hopeless from what I've read, and bussing it is likely to be impractical for me.

For anything I do need to attend to in the CBD I try to drive to Parkside than bus it in the rest of the way, rather than get ripped off for the parking.
I could go by bus on my Seniors Card for free but it takes too long, and it is easier for me to just drive to Marion or Mount Barker instead.

Catch a bus you elitest ****.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:46 pm

What's wrong with the grass on the hill? It is fantastic!
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby the wonder elephant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Blackwhite wrote:

What's wrong with the grass on the hill? It is fantastic!

Grass on the wicket and u can play :lol: :lol:
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby prowling panther » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:23 am

It's just not Adelaide Oval anymore.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer