SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby Doghouse13 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:33 pm

morell wrote:
Footy Follower wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote::roll: Within the SAAFL they are worth 0 points

This is where I think the amatuer league need to look at changing some of the rules regarding points. At present if you are moving within the amatuer league and have played a grade football at a previous AMATUER league club, then you are worth 2 or 3 points. But if you have played majority b grade at your previous amatuer league club in your final year there than you are worth zero.
This is where it is a silly to me. I think most people will agree that the higher the division the better the standard, therefore the majority of players playing b grade at div 1 or div 2 would more than likely easily slot into a lower divisions a grade. But they are worth zero points with the current system. But if a player coming from say div 6 a grade team wants to try his luck at div 1 or 2 football, he is worth 3 points. Seems a bit backwards to me. This is exactly what has happened at Rosewater this year.

Spot. Freaking. On.

Well done Rosewater, they've seen an opportunity, exploited it and are reaping the benefits.

Rosewater had 3 players that have come from Walkerville play on the weekend..
I wouldn't exactly call that exploiting the system??
Doghouse13

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:37 pm

jo172 wrote:
The_Informer wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
SAAFL_APPS.JPG

Yes i know that and that is what i thought, i had our club ring the league and was told by the League that they are worth 3 points!

I was confused and the info they sent out with there email a couple of weeks ago would make u think 3 points.

That's definitely the advice we've received from the League from time to time.

Jimmy, Fourth Estate?
either way the walkie lads are 0 pointers. Might affect one bloke if it were correct
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Doghouse13 wrote:
morell wrote:
Footy Follower wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote::roll: Within the SAAFL they are worth 0 points

This is where I think the amatuer league need to look at changing some of the rules regarding points. At present if you are moving within the amatuer league and have played a grade football at a previous AMATUER league club, then you are worth 2 or 3 points. But if you have played majority b grade at your previous amatuer league club in your final year there than you are worth zero.
This is where it is a silly to me. I think most people will agree that the higher the division the better the standard, therefore the majority of players playing b grade at div 1 or div 2 would more than likely easily slot into a lower divisions a grade. But they are worth zero points with the current system. But if a player coming from say div 6 a grade team wants to try his luck at div 1 or 2 football, he is worth 3 points. Seems a bit backwards to me. This is exactly what has happened at Rosewater this year.

Spot. Freaking. On.

Well done Rosewater, they've seen an opportunity, exploited it and are reaping the benefits.

Well I guess you would need to accurately define your understanding of the work exploit. IMO 1 player is exploiting the system as they have got a net advantage from it, but it's semantics.

I dont have a problem with anything Rosewater have done, just the opposite in fact. I think they're a smart, extremely well run football club full of good people whom I would like to think we would be looking to emulate one day.

EDIT: and they can do all that without the smarmy arrogant uppity culture of previously successful D6 clubs.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Unsubscribe :P
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 pm

i think a clear exploit would be say 4-5 players who have played say 100 plus A grade games in div 1-2-3 then in the last season just gone have been playing Bs due to work etc and then they leave that club and drop down to a div 6 club and are worth 0 points......that seems like a grey area or even a exploit of the rules

the age old question can a div 2 reserves side beat a div 6 club just ask rosewater :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 pm

morell wrote:
Doghouse13 wrote:
morell wrote:
Footy Follower wrote:[quote="Mr Beefy"]:roll: Within the SAAFL they are worth 0 points

Spot. Freaking. On.

Well I guess you would need to accurately define your understanding of the work exploit. IMO 1 player is exploiting the system as they have got a net advantage from it, but it's semantics.

I dont have a problem with anything Rosewater have done, just the opposite in fact. I think they're a smart, extremely well run football club full of good people whom I would like to think we would be looking to emulate one day.

EDIT: and they can do all that without the smarmy arrogant uppity culture of previously successful D6 clubs.[/quote]maybe we need to be successful before we get smarmy arrogant and uppity
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:52 pm

rosewater have played within the rules but maybe just maybe the league may need to tweak or twerk it just a little looking at a few sitting in that B grade some decent players playing well below there skill level
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby The Informer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:54 pm

I cant see it as a problem at all, i know my club had a 4 times Div 1 premiership player whos last season with them was a few B grade games come to our club and we are supposed to say no to him?

Guess we could of sent him to Pooraka?

Play on, all within the rules
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 pm

I dont understand why players would want to leave a successful grade ( winning & playing in Grand Finals in the past 3 - 4 years ) to play for a Div 6 side. Under achieving I reckon.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:58 pm

The_Informer wrote:I cant see it as a problem at all, i know my club had a 4 times Div 1 premiership player whos last season with them was a few B grade games come to our club and we are supposed to say no to him?

Rosewater recruited one player whats all the fuss about then good work informer

i count 16 players who have played in divisions 1-2-3-4 in the A grade or B grade
Last edited by Robb_Stark on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
jo172 wrote:
heater31 wrote:Delegates need to raise this loop hole at a meeting and close it. Very good exploitation by Rosewater in this case.

I've been working on a bigger loophole.

If Scott Thompson comes to the SAAFL next year he's worth 5 points whoever recruits him as a returning AFL player.

Let's say for the sake of the argument he goes to Houghton and plays Div 7.

in 2015 he would be worth 4 points for Houghton as you lose a point a year.

However, if Tea Tree Gully were to then try and recruit him from Houghton, he's only a 2 point player as a Div4-7 SAAFL player.

This seems to be a bit of a problematic anomaly

Good luck to Houghton on such a coup.
If a club wants to "exploit" this by letting him play a year at another club then good luck to them, he could get injured, he could get poached by big $ in the bush, anything could happen.
Or he could go to North Haven and be 0 points...

You don't change the rules for such extraordinary circumstances.

However, TTG can happily pay Scott Thompson to play for us next year.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times

Postby zedman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm

The_Informer wrote:I cant see it as a problem at all, i know my club had a 4 times Div 1 premiership player whos last season with them was a few B grade games come to our club and we are supposed to say no to him?

i agree..rosewater havent exploited anything..plenty of clubs are smart enough to work the system as its presented to them..clubs and their recruiters who are not up to speed on the intricacies of the APPS shouldnt be in the job..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby The Informer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:I dont understand why players would want to leave a successful grade ( winning & playing in Grand Finals in the past 3 - 4 years ) to play for a Div 6 side. Under achieving I reckon.

Well you had a chance to tell him that, maybe u should have!
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby Jetters » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:i think a clear exploit would be say 4-5 players who have played say 100 plus A grade games in div 1-2-3 then in the last season just gone have been playing Bs due to work etc and then they leave that club and drop down to a div 6 club and are worth 0 points......that seems like a grey area or even a exploit of the rules

the age old question can a div 2 reserves side beat a div 6 club just ask rosewater :)

If a couple of B graders are having that big of an influence on a game of football you have bigger issues than a few point system points..... having said that it seems dumb for high div B graders not to be worth points when dropping divisions.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 pm

If you're going to make B-graders worth points, then you're going to have to give clubs more points. Most of our incoming players have always been B-graders from elsewhere, and I'd say this is this case for a lot of clubs in lower divisions.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:I dont understand why players would want to leave a successful grade ( winning & playing in Grand Finals in the past 3 - 4 years ) to play for a Div 6 side. Under achieving I reckon.

I know who you are talking about & that's a pretty silly comment B4E.

I played with him in my earlier days & learnt a lot from him. Great player & a great guy, but a player that is getting towards the back end of his footy career. The intensity & rigors of playing the Division 1 or 2 footy do take a toll & at some stage it can be worth going back and just enjoying your footy whilst also passing on knowledge to other players. Certainly not underachieving.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times

Postby Boosh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 pm

jo172 wrote:
heater31 wrote:Delegates need to raise this loop hole at a meeting and close it. Very good exploitation by Rosewater in this case.

I've been working on a bigger loophole.

If Scott Thompson comes to the SAAFL next year he's worth 5 points whoever recruits him as a returning AFL player.

Let's say for the sake of the argument he goes to Houghton and plays Div 7.

in 2015 he would be worth 4 points for Houghton as you lose a point a year.

However, if Tea Tree Gully were to then try and recruit him from Houghton, he's only a 2 point player as a Div4-7 SAAFL player.

This seems to be a bit of a problematic anomaly

Or if he comes to North Haven or SMOSH where it would 0, would be nice
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:

I played with him in my earlier days & learnt a lot from him. Great player & a great guy, but a player that is getting towards the back end of his footy career. The intensity & rigors of playing the Division 1 or 2 footy do take a toll & at some stage it can be worth going back and just enjoying your footy whilst also passing on knowledge to other players. Certainly not underachieving.

I was actually not referring to anyone in particular. I just know that the Walkerville Div 2 reserves side are a pretty good side that have played in lots of grand finals of the past few years. Why go to a Div 6 side where the quality of the game style is totally different. It's just my view so im confused to as why you think Im referring to someone, when Im not.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby zedman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:

I was actually not referring to anyone in particular. I just know that the Walkerville Div 2 reserves side are a pretty good side that have played in lots of grand finals of the past few years. Why go to a Div 6 side where the quality of the game style is totally different. It's just my view so im confused to as why you think Im referring to someone, when Im not.

to play A grade..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Are you saying that A grade in Div 6 is better quality than Div 2 reserves?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League