SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby Slots It Through » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Blah blah, you and few others make too many assumptions about what goes on at Rosies without knowing all the facts

King Cains has done very well with the recruits. Things look to be on the way up for Rosies, good clubrooms, a side that should do very well in Div 6 and Div 5.
Slots It Through
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Sturtman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Slots It Through wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Blah blah, you and few others make too many assumptions about what goes on at Rosies without knowing all the facts

King Cains has done very well with the recruits. Things look to be on the way up for Rosies, good clubrooms, a side that should do very well in Div 6 and Div 5.

Surely they dont let Cainsy anywhere near the money???
I'm number 1, so why try harder!!
Sturtman
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Wisanger

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:30 pm

The only money he touches is the money he hands over the bar.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 pm

He is right in general though. Paying mercenaries results in short term success and long term pain.

If we had a $25k budget I would rather pay for 5 elite juniors, their mates and parents rather than 5 "gun" 25 yr olds.

Build the foundation from the bottom up and invest in juniors, in other words.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Slots It Through wrote:

And yes, Cainsy has done well.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 pm

morell wrote:
He is right in general though. Paying mercenaries results in short term success and long term pain.

If we had a $25k budget I would rather pay for 5 elite juniors, their mates and parents rather than 5 "gun" 25 yr olds.

I don't think it's money that's holding clubs back from a solid junior program.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 pm

morell wrote:

In general yes, however, the inferences that half a dozen "B graders" from other clubs who are now at Rosies are now mercenaries is ridiculous and insulting. Also the notion that we are somehow a financial powerhouse is also a fair way off the mark.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 pm

All this tlak about rosewater, mawsons are making quite a habit of flying under the radar. where is all the talk about their mercanries?
Robb_Stark wrote:Face Book is such a bad place to post things

Alan

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby morell » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

In general yes, however, the inferences that half a dozen "B graders" from other clubs who are now at Rosies are now mercenaries is ridiculous and insulting. Also the notion that we are somehow a financial powerhouse is also a fair way off the mark.
Calm down matey. Hence why I said "in general". I know and understand Rosewater aren't like that, I meant the clubs previously mentioned - Kilburn, Brahma and North Haven.

Don't be so defensive!
morell
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Look I've heard all the rumours about Rosie's and their so called $60k plus spending. Frankly I think they are a lot smarter club than that and I know their coach certainly is. He would want players there for all the right reasons and for more than short term success. Lakes have probably spent more than them go figure. Should be a big game between them on Anzac Day. Probably 50000 there I reckon............. Spectators I mean. :D :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby old fullback » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 pm

The Riddler wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:OK, my apologies. Myself & the Informer both seemed to think you were talking about a particular Mawsons player with multiple division 1 premiership medals.

Just say it, Brenton Reidy. Pretty sure he has family that play at Lakes though as well? Brothers in law i think?

Wasn't the reason he came across, in fact they came because of him. Again u underestimate my powers of persuasion PG oh and of course the fact he lives 400m from the oval helps too :D

I think we know the real reason he left and you powers of persuasion Riddler are a myth, I know the real reason,( to COIN a phrase) lol..
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Bigshow82 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 am

morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

Calm down matey. Hence why I said "in general". I know and understand Rosewater aren't like that, I meant the clubs previously mentioned - Kilburn, Brahma and North Haven.

Don't be so defensive!

And you know so much about Brahma Lodge and what we are like? Or do we put Mitchell Park in the same category since you blokes are struggling after players have left?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Bigshow82
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am

Bigshow82 wrote:
morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:He is right in general though. Paying mercenaries results in short term success and long term pain.

Don't be so defensive!

And you know so much about Brahma Lodge and what we are like? Or do we put Mitchell Park in the same category since you blokes are struggling after players have left?

With Brahma it's obvious! You were in the D4 GF last year mate. Payne leaves, as does the money and the players, and you've effectively dropped 2 divisions and still copping 20-30 goal losses. That's a staggering turn around and one which belies a quick fix, short term gain type culture. May be changing now and for the good people at Brahma I hope it does.

Rosewater, on the other hand, slipped a little a bit and had a tough year in 2012, but were investing heavily in the infrastructure and facilities, got the right people in and in my opinion, and after having a chat to a few of their people, built something sustainable. They too lost their coach last year. Has the same thing happened?

Are you seriously comparing Mitchell Park to Brahama Lodge. :? Cmon mate, that argument is so ridiculous its hilarious. One team finished third to bottom in D6. The other made the D4 GF. One team infamously pays players. The other does not.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 am

I also don't know why cash payment clubs get so butt hurt about it when people mention it. If you think that's the best strategy for keeping your club healthy and getting it to where you want it, go for it!

Why so ashamed or defensive?
morell
Coach

Postby Bigshow82 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 am

morell wrote:
Bigshow82 wrote:
morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:[quote="morell"]He is right in general though. Paying mercenaries results in short term success and long term pain.

Don't be so defensive!

With Brahma it's obvious! You were in the D4 GF last year mate. Payne leaves, as does the money and the players, and you've effectively dropped 2 divisions and still copping 20-30 goal losses. That's a staggering turn around and one which belies a quick fix, short term gain type culture. May be changing now and for the good people at Brahma I hope it does.

Rosewater, on the other hand, slipped a little a bit and had a tough year in 2012, but were investing heavily in the infrastructure and facilities, got the right people in and in my opinion, and after having a chat to a few of their people, built something sustainable. They too lost their coach last year. Has the same thing happened?

Are you seriously comparing Mitchell Park to Brahama Lodge. :? Cmon mate, that argument is so ridiculous its hilarious. One team finished third to bottom in D6. The other made the D4 GF.[/quote]

If only it was that simple Morell. Payney left, that's not why the majority of players left.
The club has the same amount of money this year that they had last year, the year before and so on. However the club could not and would not compete with the money that was offered from other clubs. Possibly this may tell you the money Brahma paid out isn't quite as high as what people speculate on here...
If you want my honest opinion I believe last year's success of making the GF has had a negative impact on the club, especially since the team got hammered. A lot of players and club people started to think and believe the jump would be to much. This has hurt the club more than anything else.

Bigshow82
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Point being, which you just admitted, and this is the critical line of my argument, those players had a large chunk of their motivation for being at a club rooted in getting paid.

That's what makes them a mercenary. That's what's not sustainable. That is precisely what I am talking about.
morell
Coach

Postby The Informer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 pm

old fullback wrote:
The Riddler wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:OK, my apologies. Myself & the Informer both seemed to think you were talking about a particular Mawsons player with multiple division 1 premiership medals.

Just say it, Brenton Reidy. Pretty sure he has family that play at Lakes though as well? Brothers in law i think?

Wasn't the reason he came across, in fact they came because of him. Again u underestimate my powers of persuasion PG oh and of course the fact he lives 400m from the oval helps too :D

I think we know the real reason he left and you powers of persuasion Riddler are a myth, I know the real reason,( to COIN a phrase) lol..

Yeah of course you know the real reason, Brenton has never been paid by Mawson Lakes.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 pm

morell wrote:He is right in general though. Paying mercenaries results in short term success and long term pain.

Think this is an area that is bit more complicated than people give credit for.. a person is a mercenary if they come to a club for financial gain and then leave after couple years.. but..

I think if you can encourage a bloke to your club and it costs a few $$ initially, but you have the right environment, right people and he enjoys himself then you effectively are selling the club to him as you would a sponsor and in return look to secure his services for a longer term.

In my opinion a mercenary is only what the club makes of them...
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 pm

On top of that, i think coaches are bigger mercenaries than players.. so many coaches that have good influence and player contacts, swoop in and win flags and then take the players plus maybe few more and move onto the next club.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Another area that interests me.. you get the clubs like Mitchell Pk and Brahma who have had success and now in a poor state want to drop down in grades so they can remain competitive.,. and people bag them for that (rightfully so), but on the flip side, what about the sides that struggle and elect to stay up - i.e. ingle farm few years back.. and they cop the same level of crap..

... which one is worse or right?!

The club that identifies they may struggle and wants to move down.. or the club that is struggling but wants to try and stay up and make it work?

#mitchellpark
#softcocks
#pussycatsnotlions

#farmerpride
#ihatehashtags
#WTFamIdoing
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League