SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby carey » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 am

Former Roo wrote:Very smart work from Rosies.. Dropping a couple when there's nothing on the line to relieve what surely was some crippling pressure and expectations on the lads. Spending $50k on players was never going to guarantee instant success but it will guarantee a premiership come September. A champion team will always beat a team of champions but it has no real chance against a team of superstars bonded by a love of cash!! Word is they'll go as far ensuring they finish second or third as they're desperate to avoid a repeat of last year's Greg Norman at the '96 Masters impersonation.

I'm sure Rosewater threw the 2 losses....... :roll:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:19 am

carey wrote:
Former Roo wrote:Very smart work from Rosies.. Dropping a couple when there's nothing on the line to relieve what surely was some crippling pressure and expectations on the lads. Spending $50k on players was never going to guarantee instant success but it will guarantee a premiership come September. A champion team will always beat a team of champions but it has no real chance against a team of superstars bonded by a love of cash!! Word is they'll go as far ensuring they finish second or third as they're desperate to avoid a repeat of last year's Greg Norman at the '96 Masters impersonation.

I'm sure Rosewater threw the 2 losses....... :roll:

Yeah but we nearly stuffed it up on Saturday only going down by a point. We had to battle hard not to force a behind in the final minutes.
Obviously Former Roo (from Para Hills - work that out?) doesn't want to give any credit to the Farmers or Lockleys. Perhaps he might just be trying to shift the focus off premiership faves Ingle Farm?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 am

Yank Man wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:**** me. No wonder we can't compete.

What % would bar takings contribute to the overall revenue of your clubs?
Without having the numbers handy it is far too high. I'd say last year might have been around 80% but I'd say that was a bit of a spike due to the new rooms. Our bar takings alone were 150% above a previous year's total revenue. Our challenge is to maintain our revenue or increase it by diversifying our revenue streams. We have doubled our membership numbers and now have 4 x 8 ball teams. Hopefully we will put a cricket team on the park soon.

Included in our footy budget also is complete funding of our juniors. We only charge them $60 for subs at the moment until we can develop a full group. They cost us between $4 and $6k for a season but will be worth it in the long term. The footy club also pays the 'sporting club' for the priviledge of using the facility at $20 a head for every player and member. Don't get me started on the Mitchell Park Sporting Club. Fact is 85 percent of their income is footy, juniors, cricket and the gorgeous gals from the netball club, and they are all associated in one way shape or form to the Football Club. ;)

This to me seems like a brilliant idea. Best way to start building a junior program and once your junior program is established and successful it becomes (to an extent) self-perpetuating.

I suspect Kilburn wish they had done this with their excess funds rather than what they appeared to do.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 am

Back to the old drawing board for Scheff and the boys now, Former Roo is onto them! Dropping 2 games in a row against an unbeaten side and a side sitting equal with them is the perfect way to set up a tilt in September.. It was certainly the fact we were 13-0 last year which meant we didnt win the flag, cos no side ever wins flags after being 13-0.. Its a known fact you have to drop games early to wins flags
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue May 27, 2014 10:54 am

Some massive games this weekend coming. Its one of those rounds where you'd love to be able to be at each game at the same time. Ingle Farm Vs Blackfriars would have to be the match of the round. Or would you say Mitchell Park Vs Angle Vale would be instead?? Then you've got Mawson Lakes Vs Central United and Rosewater Vs Fitzroy. Hard to choose really but all seem to be cracker games ahead. How's each teams injury list going? Everyone looking forward to the break??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 27, 2014 10:56 am

Miss me? :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby heater31 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Miss me? :D

No ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Miss me? :D
image.jpg

WELCOME HOME PHANTOM. DID YOU BRING ME A PRESENT??? LOL.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 am

I would hereby like to announce my retirement from the forums..
It's been a long and tough road to rehabilitation and recovery, i've worked hard to get back to where I wanted to be, but now in the words of former North Melb champion and Bali Bombing survivor Jason McCartney "Coz I'm spent"
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 27, 2014 11:07 am

Arch44 wrote:Not yet he kicked a goal on the weekend bring him back next week :lol:

And what a goal it was.. can view replays of the brilliance right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAy_m_ZC9Wo
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Arch44 wrote:Not yet he kicked a goal on the weekend bring him back next week :lol:

And what a goal it was.. can view replays of the brilliance right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAy_m_ZC9Wo

Not quite when you have a slow old man like me chasing you.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby morell » Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Jetters wrote:Why would you highlight 'ALL' when I clearly, and deliberately, wrote 'most'?
You have the balance wrong. “Most” of the issues are currently out of our control or at least require years of toil and hard work to resolve. Yes, our club leaders can improve and they would be their own harshest judges for that, but to put into perspective our management consists of Ken Kelsall, Kylie Weekley, Wayne Wyld, Mark Sansome and Anjuli Weekley.

President - Ken Kelsall is a very experienced campaigner and if you will be searching for a long time to find a better delegate or harder worker for a football club. Gun.
Sports Club President - Kylie Weekley has been part of football for decades, been on committees for sporting clubs for most of her adult life I suspect, also was an expert administrator for the SAAFL for many years. Gun.
Football Director - Wayne Wyld has been in and around successful football clubs for goodness knows how long. Key player in Edwardstown successes and a very astute football person. Gun.
Junior President - Mark Sansome has turned an almost non-existent junior program into one that is now starting to thrive. Incredibly hard worker and doing a great job. Gun.
Treasurer - Anjuli Weekley whilst pregnant is still undertaking a treasurer role and doing an amazing job balancing the books. How we’re still solvent considering all of our issues is a credit to her. Gun.

You could put David Koch, Andrew Demetriou, Bob McLean and you yourself Jetters into some of these roles and you wouldn’t be able to do a better job.

Principally our biggest issues, in order, are

Structure with the Sporting Club in regards to revenue – take away bar takings, means you can't play players, means you drop divisions, means people leave because they don’t want to lose. It is that important.
Our lease agreement with Council in regards to the site – we are confined with what we do to Council processes. We currently have no lights. Having lots of fun training in the dark. We have no scoreboard. Ever submitted a residential development? Multiply it by a thousand fold.
Lack of resources, both monetary and human – we’re a small club, we don’t have that many volunteers and willing participants.
Sponsorship agreements and lack thereof – we’re a club full of tradeys, workers and generally speaking, people from lower socio economic background. We don’t have connections into big businesses. We don’t have ties to wealthy families.
Location, demographics and player catchment pool – Not much we can do about this.
Reputation - amazingly, despite have a better record at the judiciary than most clubs, we're still seen as thugs.

So when you come out and have a crack at the good people that are doing a sterling job considering the circumstances, and say our woes are all their fault, without any real inside knowledge or awareness, to be honest it makes me want to punch you in the face. It is so incredibly insulting, demeaning and arrogant of you to even pretend to know, based on a scoreboard results, how good a job our management are doing.

Jetters wrote:You have difficulties accessing your share of bar revenue. Fair point. However, you have great facilities (which look like getting redeveloped) and are open more nights of the week than most. Everyone has their own advantages and disadvantages.
Its more than a fair point. It is THE point. Take away your bar takings, or for example, Rosewaters, that constitutes approximately 70%-80% of their revenue. How can you possible pay, any decent coin to anyone, without 70% of your revenue. How would Unley go if we took away 70% of your revenue? How quickly down the divisions do you think you would tumble?

You would have the same management, doing the same job, yet the tumble would be uncontrollable.

Jetters wrote:You prefer to blame others and look for excuses for why clubs arent performing, I prefer to attribute the majority of success/non-success to the club itself.
They’re not excuses, they’re realities. They would be excuses if we weren't aware of them or had some ability to fix them. We can't just take over our bar. We can just put in new lights. We can't just start paying gun players. We can't just increase our catchment. We can't just get more cash from a big sponsor. These things take time.

We can and are working hard to attempt to mitigate these issues as best we can. For a person from Unley-Mercedes-Sort-of-Old-Scholars-but-nah-not-really-we’re-in-a-perfect-location-with-wealthy-supporters-and-a-huge-junior-program to point fingers at a struggling club is galling at best.

Jetters wrote:In our area (Unley, Mitcham, Glenunga, CLG, Goodwood, Kenilworth etc) we are all subject to similar circumstances to build a football club and yet these clubs typically range from Div 1 to 6 (some of the typically lower div clubs have improved over the last couple of years). Some clubs have some advantages/disadvantages others don't, but overall the #1 thing that surely attributes to a clubs success failure is its management.
Similar? Maybe in the fact all of them like football, beer and boobs perhaps, but I already know none of those clubs are facing the same issues we are. Problem identification and problem resolution are two very different things you realise?

The biggest problem Unley have is how to come up with an acronym that you can fit on a letterhead.

Jetters wrote:FWIW, I also disagree with the principles behind your player payment example.
I don’t particularly care for you or your opinions.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby FLYING DUTCHMAN 18 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Some massive games this weekend coming. Its one of those rounds where you'd love to be able to be at each game at the same time. Ingle Farm Vs Blackfriars would have to be the match of the round. Or would you say Mitchell Park Vs Angle Vale would be instead?? Then you've got Mawson Lakes Vs Central United and Rosewater Vs Fitzroy. Hard to choose really but all seem to be cracker games ahead. How's each teams injury list going? Everyone looking forward to the break??

West Croydon v Lockleys will be a fair game i would imagine??? :D
FLYING DUTCHMAN 18
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Woodville South

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Its a tough environment and not every club can prosper in the world of SAAFL today. Its a shame that some clubs are experiencing tough times, but its a fact that we must deal with. No revenue from bar will eventually be unsustainable once sponsorship money dries up. Its a shame but these things happen. At least for AV and MP they have each other this year, so they are a sniff of a win in 2 games, Kilburn and Brahma dont have a sniff of a win at all
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 27, 2014 2:48 pm

With all due respect morell, I think you are looking at the concerns & challenges at Mitchell Park far to extremely.

You aren't the only club that has these similar issues, you talk about big business sponsors, wealthy families and no revenue from the sporting club, but perhaps instead of looking at things you dont have you could look at ways to minimise the impact not having these things has?

Examples of things other clubs do:
Player Sponsors - put the onus back on the player, draft up a package and get them to go out and hit up their boss or friend or who ever to pay their fees. Add a little bit extra in the amount so the club makes something from it. Tax deductible, good selling point and the pressure is off the player to come up with the money, allowing them to spend money at the club when they can.

Resources - I know Kilburn have players from country sides (used to i should say) train with them during the week. Kilburn made the club pay a sum of money for the season to allow these players to train with them and use their facilities and the club had to also supply a football for each player.

Reputation - difficult area, and something Ingle Farm struggled with for a long time as well (prob still do). As much as you dislike it, small disciplines like wearing slacks, looking and acting more professional can affect the way others perceive you.

Lighting - I know a few years back the Mitchell Park Rugby League club had a sponsor who provided those light towers they use for road works etc for training. That was the extent of their sponsorship requirements and the league club gave them save deal as any other major sponsor. Perhaps this could be an option?

Bar takings - unfortunately I think more clubs than not affiliated with sporting clubs wouldnt receive the takings, however do then rely on the Sporting club to maintain/upgrade etc the facilities as needed.. lighting would be included in this.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:04 pm

I'd agree, a word of caution @morell (i suspect you're not under this delusion, but just in case) the bar takings are in all likelihood not a silver bullet. Whilst we'd love to be able to hold onto our bar profits even in that event after the Kings ransom charged by the Council and ETSA there's not a huge amount outstanding.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby carey » Tue May 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:I would hereby like to announce my retirement from the forums..
It's been a long and tough road to rehabilitation and recovery, i've worked hard to get back to where I wanted to be, but now in the words of former North Melb champion and Bali Bombing survivor Jason McCartney "Coz I'm spent"

This was written about 65 posts ago in 4 hours you've certainly made up for lost time my friend! ;) :lol:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 27, 2014 3:06 pm

carey wrote:This was written about 65 posts ago in 4 hours you've certainly made up for lost time my friend! ;) :lol:

:lol: Old habits die hard ;)
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby The Riddler » Tue May 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
carey wrote:This was written about 65 posts ago in 4 hours you've certainly made up for lost time my friend! ;) :lol:

:lol: Old habits die hard ;)

Or you could try getting a life!
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue May 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Anyone happen to catch the intellectually challenged lad tossing the coin at the Port power game. I heard he was from Ingle Farm. I thought it was a really nice touch. :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 847 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League